Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
You don't need to blame the gays for society's ills when you have the goblins right next door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Kajeesus posted:

You don't need to blame the gays for society's ills when you have the goblins right next door.

"Black and white lived in harmony because they ganged up on green"

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Rumda posted:

That's not exactly progressive though. Has there been any stigma against gays shown on the comic, hell even Miko wasn't taken aback when two female paladins hurriedly made plans with each other rather than spend new years with her.

It's progressive because there's a stigma against LGBT people in the actual, real world that Rich has chosen not to reinforce in his make believe world.

I guess technically it would be better to call it inclusive, because he's explicitly calling out that dating dudes or women is fine, but even I'm not that pedantic.

Cabbit fucked around with this message at 20:31 on May 7, 2015

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

MikeJF posted:

Yeah, it may be homophobia simply isn't a concept in the OotS world and gay people are just an accepted fact.

In a world where you can literally talk to the god of your choice and ask him if he really hates the gays, there's no reason that anybody can get away with saying "God hates gays".

gently caress the goblins though.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

On the other hand, he made it a point with Durkon in an early strip (it's where Durkon and the Loki priestess "hug it out") that Dwarves are so big on duty and honour that if it means being stuck in a loveless marriage because that's what you are expected to do, then you stick out that shame marriage. It's not the biggest leap of logic to apply that way of thinking to who you can and can't date.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

The Question IRL posted:

On the other hand, he made it a point with Durkon in an early strip (it's where Durkon and the Loki priestess "hug it out") that Dwarves are so big on duty and honour that if it means being stuck in a loveless marriage because that's what you are expected to do, then you stick out that shame marriage. It's not the biggest leap of logic to apply that way of thinking to who you can and can't date.

Yeah but that says nothing about what gender either married partner is

It's not an additional issue that is necessary or requested, so I wouldn't worry about it

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I know that dwarves pretty clearly have secondary sexual characteristics here, and only men have beards, but I still like to imagine that any dwarven society only has one gender identity, and it is 'dwarf.'

E: I guess that's how elves work in this setting, though!

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

My Lovely Horse posted:

It's less that the OotS world is a certain way and more that Rich is not-too-subtly making a point, as well as trying to make up for the girdle of gender swapping arc and that early strip where everyone was leering at Haley.

Nah, it's been a thing for a while. There's that bit during the period where Elan and Nale were swapped out for each other, where Elan tries to have an illusion seduce a town guard and he begs off on the basis that he's gay. The other guard with him says, "Huh, really?" and there's an end to it.

If you're going to point to anything that's more obviously a reaction to Burlew's change of mind on the topic, I'd say Bandanna's a better example.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Kajeesus posted:

I know that dwarves pretty clearly have secondary sexual characteristics here, and only men have beards, but I still like to imagine that any dwarven society only has one gender identity, and it is 'dwarf.'

E: I guess that's how elves work in this setting, though!

I'm pretty sure that's how it works with dwarves in Discworld. Something about how after you get underneath the many, many, many layers of beard, leather, and chainmail it's really a crapshoot about what your partner's gender is. Especially considering socially speaking they have only one gender: stereotypical dwarf.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Who What Now posted:

I'm pretty sure that's how it works with dwarves in Discworld. Something about how after you get underneath the many, many, many layers of beard, leather, and chainmail it's really a crapshoot about what your partner's gender is. Especially considering socially speaking they have only one gender: stereotypical dwarf.

Mostly, yeah. By the time of the books there are some progressive dwarves who are embracing feminine pronouns. They mostly come up in the Night's Watch books but there are mentions elsewhere.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

e: disregard

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Lt. Danger posted:

e: disregard

e: waaaaaait a second this isn't the thread I thought it was

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 02:05 on May 8, 2015

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Fried Chicken posted:

"Black and white lived in harmony because they ganged up on green"

Outside of a handful of neonazis that's pretty much how Shadowrun works.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Pope Guilty posted:

Outside of a handful of neonazis that's pretty much how Shadowrun works.

That is actually a quote from a Shadowrun sourcebook.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

e X posted:

That is actually a quote from a Shadowrun sourcebook.

I'm pretty sure it's also from Discworld.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Who What Now posted:

I'm pretty sure it's also from Discworld.

gently caress you are right, I just googled it. In retrospect, it's actually a bit to jovial for SR.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

e X posted:

gently caress you are right, I just googled it. In retrospect, it's actually a bit to jovial for SR.

"Hey man, we had a dragon president. Racism is over."

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

e X posted:

There's a blurb about something like that in Shadowrun too, though.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
I was going for Discworld; I've never played it read Shadowrun and Men at Arms is full of great lines on race like that. That one is a personal fave, along with the description of someone as "the kind of person who would pronounce 'negro' with two Gs"

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Dolash posted:

I guess if there's only one cleric in the Dwarven lands high enough level to cast level 7 cleric spells, he might have enough legitimate uses of that spell slot every day that a peasant's missing arm wouldn't make it up the list on its own. If the church only has a few casts of Regenerate, Raise Dead, Resurrection and so on to ration out then selling those services at exorbitant rates could give the church enough gold to do far more mundane, temporal good like running poor houses, orphanages and conventional hospitals.

I think it might've been the Eberron or Forgotten Realms campaign setting but some DnD book had a bit that discussed that.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Once you have ten gods in your pantheon you've probably got at least one who's gay, so naturally henotheistic societies tend towards acceptance.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Anatharon posted:

I think it might've been the Eberron or Forgotten Realms campaign setting but some DnD book had a bit that discussed that.

Probably Eberron. Eberron was big on "taking magic to it's logical but insane conclusions" with respects to how it might influence society.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Captain Oblivious posted:

Probably Eberron. Eberron was big on "taking magic to it's logical but insane conclusions" with respects to how it might influence society.

It was also a setting that made a point of most NPCs being fairly low level, though I think that was thrown by the wayside relatively early on. The whole gimmick being a wide availability of low level magic, but almost no high level, I think?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
It was because of the Dragonmarked houses that magic was relatively more common throughout Eberron than in other settings. Dragonmarks were basically magically empowered birthmarks that belonged to certain lineages that gave their bearers spell-like abilities. So instead of going to a temple of the Sovereign Host for healing, you'd stop by the enclave of House Jorasco in whatever city you're in and pay them for your healing needs.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Cabbit posted:

It was also a setting that made a point of most NPCs being fairly low level, though I think that was thrown by the wayside relatively early on. The whole gimmick being a wide availability of low level magic, but almost no high level, I think?

There were weird adventures with one or two absurdly powerful wizard holed up in a tower in the middle of nowhere, but other than that Eberron has continents separated out by level like a MMO. Hit 10? You have to go to Xen'drik for the level-appropriate challenges, and then the dragon place when the game goes epic.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Nonsense--most of the high level NPCs had died in the great war, and there were something like twelve NPCs who were above level eight, all of whom had complicated reasons not to do any adventuring or contract killing. The angelic avenger, for example, had given up on slaughtering the wicked to focus on her play-writing career. Beyond that, NPCs were generally within one or two levels of the player characters, even big name ones like the Lord of Blades--and as the players creep up in levels, so would everyone else, so while there were always threats to them, the PCs were consistently movers and shakers in defining how the world recovered from the great war.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0984.html
:siren:Hence the Fence:siren:

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Is Rich OK? :ohdear:

Don't want him to wear his hand out with all these updates.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

I'm starting to wonder if maybe he's trying to get in touch with Hilgya. Assuming she's kept up with her adventuring off-screen, she should be relatively around the same level as the group, and she might have actually been heading back to the dwarven lands, thus needing to pass through gnome country first.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Now I'm wondering why the sole high level cleric vampire of Hel needs to find a high level cleric that doesn't want his/her presence to be widely known.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I think it's pretty obvious he intends to expand the clergy :drac:

E: vv I think Yurkon counts as a new character!

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 15:45 on May 11, 2015

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

As interesting as meeting Hilgya again could be I think we could use a new character as a chapter villain.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

My Lovely Horse posted:

As interesting as meeting Hilgya again could be I think we could use a new character as a chapter villain.

Yeah, but as we saw with Haley a few strips ago, Rich is really set on tying up all the loose ends, mostly because he knows that if he doesn't, there's going to be pedantic grognards constantly bringing up, "But what about..." until the end of the story. And introducing another new villain, even if for only this chapter of the story, would still require him to spend a few pages on who that character is, why they're opposing the OotS, etc. Easier to bring back a character who already has a preexisting relationship with the party that he can build on.

W.T. Fits fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Sep 13, 2021

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Plus Hilgya is such an early character that she was very bidimensional. Seeing her fleshed out would be practically like meeting a new character, but without it feeling like a pointless introduction.

Although I wouldn't discount the possibility of the evil gnome druid. Can druids cast Resurrection?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

No, but they can cast Reincarnate, which alas explicitly doesn't work on those who have been turned into an undead creature.

But yeah, it might be time to see Leeky and Pompey.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

NihilCredo posted:

Plus Hilgya is such an early character that she was very bidimensional. Seeing her fleshed out would be practically like meeting a new character, but without it feeling like a pointless introduction.

Although I wouldn't discount the possibility of the evil gnome druid. Can druids cast Resurrection?

Hilgya coming back now would be perfectly timed, especially since durkon gets to be all NOOOOOOO from within his own head.

Also he's probably got a big revelation coming, he always speeds up when he wants to get to something cool.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I'm kind of surprised how weird it feels to see Durkon's character art use the word "you".

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

jng2058 posted:

No, but they can cast Reincarnate, which alas explicitly doesn't work on those who have been turned into an undead creature.

Also presents enough opportunity for comedy I'm surprised we haven't seen it used on a one-off or tertiary character.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

MikeJF posted:

Also presents enough opportunity for comedy I'm surprised we haven't seen it used on a one-off or tertiary character.

The modern Reincarnate table is way more forgiving than the first edition one. If you cast it these days, or even back in 3.5 where the Order live, you're at least guaranteed to get something humanoid with arms and legs. Sure it's amusing to see the elf princess wake up as an orc or something, but back in the day nothing was funnier than watching the big muscle fighter wake up as a squirrel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
The 2nd edition reincarnation table was why nobody ever wanted to use it. I was particularly fond of how if the result was a non-player race, the rules for that were "poo poo, I don't know, make something up."