Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Sprawl posted:

but otherwise teksavvy is usually cheapest.

This has not been true for quite some time now, for any speed tier (in Ontario anyway).

Also, and I hate to be that guy, but have any of you considered just paying for your content instead of paying for increasingly elaborate ways to avoid getting caught pirating it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me
I'll admit I have a sickness, and hoard media like a dragon hoards gold. That is unlikely to change anytime soon. I did change my habits around this for PC gaming though, as Steam is so much more convenient, user friendly, and cost effective than finding and patching games on my own. I doubt this will ever happen with TV though, as they seem dead set to try and make me consume media how they'd rather I do it. Anything's possible, but I don't see it happening, and if it does, it isn't going to be any of the incumbents here. Until they are gone, I likely will continue hoarding media as I do now.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!

infernal machines posted:

This has not been true for quite some time now, for any speed tier.

Also, and I hate to be that guy, but have any of you considered just paying for your content instead of paying for increasingly elaborate ways to avoid getting caught pirating it?

Why would you pirate anything speed affects many more things then that .It is easy as poo poo to blow those 100 gig caps on netflix alone by yourself let alone with other people using your internet.

They are almost always the cheapest for unlimited cap/bandwidth combined unless you need upload.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
Start Communications is good, I've heard, but I have been too lazy to put effort into changing. I'm happy with Teksavvy so far.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Sprawl posted:

They are almost always the cheapest for unlimited cap/bandwidth combined unless you need upload.

Again, no, they're not. Unless you ignore the upfront costs of buying a modem ($75 -$140) or you plan on keeping the same plan for several years and never having to upgrade or replace the modem.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

This has not been true for quite some time now, for any speed tier (in Ontario anyway).

Hmm I never really looked at the comparison but you're right

I'm on their Cable 30 package with 400GB a month, and it's costing me $55

Start Communications is about $10 cheaper

Again, no, they're not. Unless you ignore the upfront costs of buying a modem ($75 -$140) or you plan on keeping the same plan for several years and never having to upgrade or replace the modem.

So what do you recommend?

I already own my modem, a DCM476

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I can't speak for Ontario but the closest comparable unlimited Telus plan is something like $40 month higher so the cost of buying a modem upfront gets covered pretty quickly.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Really? Pirates?

We live in Canada, homie. You couldn't pay for most of the content you wanted if you tried. If you cut cable a vpn or private access is required for any media junkie.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Zigmidge posted:

Really? Pirates?

We live in Canada, homie. You couldn't pay for most of the content you wanted if you tried. If you cut cable a vpn or private access is required for any media junkie.

Obviously the answer is to not cut cable, and give the cartel the hundred+ dollars they require to get the five (commercial filled) channels you really wanted all along, in their "content bundles" :airquote:.

And as for the little niche channels...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Swvf3w6hcY4

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 03:00 on May 8, 2015

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Sappo569 posted:

So what do you recommend?

I already own my modem, a DCM476

If you already own the modem and you don't plan on getting anything higher than 60Mbit then Teksavvy isn't a bad option. Start.ca is also good.

slidebite posted:

I can't speak for Ontario but the closest comparable unlimited Telus plan is something like $40 month higher so the cost of buying a modem upfront gets covered pretty quickly.

The thing is we have multiple options here that aren't the big 2 (Bell or Rogers). And at the high-end Rogers is actually cheaper than Teksavvy for unlimited and offers higher speeds.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Zigmidge posted:

Really? Pirates?

Major shows all come out on bluray. Rent em.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Chris Knight posted:

Not exactly content to wait. Or for that matter, expend effort travelling to acquire said physical media, and then take it back. Need to compete on convenience as well as cost and quality.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Chris Knight posted:

Three things: first, is renting poo poo even possible nowadays? Second, there's more than one way to legally obtain media, I don't know why I need to care that bell media isn't getting their cut so long as the content creators do. Third, even if I did know where to rent poo poo from I probably wouldn't, because the people actually making the show don't get anything from me.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

The thing is we have multiple options here that aren't the big 2 (Bell or Rogers). And at the high-end Rogers is actually cheaper than Teksavvy for unlimited and offers higher speeds.
That's a good position to be in. Gotta love at least some competition.

For incumbents here (Southern Alberta at least) we have a choice of Telus for DSL and Shaw for cable.

A Telus 25MB with 250GB cap is $68/month with a "free" modem but there is an install fee. Want unlimited? Add another $30 month. So $100+/month with taxes/fees for a reasonable 25 DSL connection alone. Take an extra $5-$10 off if you have Telus TV :woop:

Shaw 30 is $70/month with 250GB cap. I don't see an option for unlimited.

Teksavvy 25/5 unlimited is $55/month. 300GB option is $45 month.

Pretty easy decision out here at least.

Regarding movie chat, our local library has new releases for "free" rental with any library membership. Bluray and DVDs included. Granted, they don't have hundreds of copies of the newest movies but there are enough that you can generally get a copy within a couple weeks of release.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

senae posted:

Three things: first, is renting poo poo even possible nowadays? Second, there's more than one way to legally obtain media, I don't know why I need to care that bell media isn't getting their cut so long as the content creators do. Third, even if I did know where to rent poo poo from I probably wouldn't, because the people actually making the show don't get anything from me.

London still has one major rental store left: Jumbo Video (free movie popcorn :toot: ) :corsair:

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

slidebite posted:

That's a good position to be in. Gotta love at least some competition.

For incumbents here (Southern Alberta at least) we have a choice of Telus for DSL and Shaw for cable.

A Telus 25MB with 250GB cap is $68/month with a "free" modem but there is an install fee. Want unlimited? Add another $30 month. So $100+/month with taxes/fees for a reasonable 25 DSL connection alone. Take an extra $5-$10 off if you have Telus TV :woop:

Shaw 30 is $70/month with 250GB cap. I don't see an option for unlimited.

Teksavvy 25/5 unlimited is $55/month. 300GB option is $45 month.

Pretty easy decision out here at least.

Regarding movie chat, our local library has new releases for "free" rental with any library membership. Bluray and DVDs included. Granted, they don't have hundreds of copies of the newest movies but there are enough that you can generally get a copy within a couple weeks of release.

I think Shaw is an extra $100 add-on for unlimited, unless they discontinued that.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Any recommendations/tricks to get Rogers to wave over-cap charges? Ask billing nicely/threaten to change providers? Have no idea how I used so much more this month, and when I got the 75%/100% usage warning I thought I was a lot closer the roll over/didn't think I'd end up going quite so far over.

God caps are such bullshit because I don't get gently caress-all for being under my cap by 40-60GB most months, the second I go over I need to pay some absurd made up amount of money. Unlimited options kinda suck because most months I'm not going past my cap so it hard feels worth paying more for. :sigh:

(Also, before I'm judged for being with Rogers - I got a pretty good deal otherwise, 58$ a month for something like 40/4 and 200GB cap. )

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Mister Macys posted:

London still has one major rental store left: Jumbo Video (free movie popcorn :toot: ) :corsair:

I pass that plaza a couple times a week, and that that place is still open never ceases to amaze me.

I'm afraid to try and go inside, only to discover that the storefront is some kind of shared hallucination.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Oxyclean posted:

Any recommendations/tricks to get Rogers to wave over-cap charges? Ask billing nicely/threaten to change providers? Have no idea how I used so much more this month, and when I got the 75%/100% usage warning I thought I was a lot closer the roll over/didn't think I'd end up going quite so far over.

I would politely do exactly what you said, and remind them how you've never been over before. You might want to decide how far you're going to push it in case they say no.
E: IE: If you threaten to leave, are you actually going to walk.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 19:50 on May 8, 2015

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

slidebite posted:

I would politely do exactly what you said, and remind them how you've never been over before. You might want to decide how far you're going to push it in case they say no.
E: IE: If you threaten to leave, are you actually going to walk.

Call up Teksavvy / Start.ca / whoever else is in your area and find out what your options actually are before you threaten to walk, makes it sound like you are a lot more determined if you've got the facts in front of you.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Chris Knight posted:

I live in a northern community of like 10k people. There's no place to rent anything. Hell, there's no place to BUY anything. So I'm stuck paying exorbitant rates for cable TV, spending a ton of money on channels I'll never watch to get ones I want to.
Or, I can cut cable, spend a ton more on internet, still get hosed over, but I can stream anything I want/access media from online. If my cable company comes out with some kind of DVR/on-demand system where I can just play a flat rate to watch certain shows (or some kind of system where I only pay for what I want), I'll pay. Until they give me better options than I had in 19-loving-80 they can eat it.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Chris Knight posted:

Do tell where I can get Over the Garden Wall or Steven Universe on blu-ray. :allears:
(Cartoon Network doesn't seem to care much about physical releases, I'm sure they're not the only ones.)

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

Siochain posted:

I live in a northern community of like 10k people. There's no place to rent anything.
For what it's worth, here in Winnipeg with like 700k I'm pretty sure there are no places left to rent anything. Blockbuster and rogers are both gone and the one independent I knew about is gone.

Also blurays don't come out until months or years after stuff has aired on TV/online streaming services so it's truly absurd to suggest renting or buying blurays is somehow an alternative to cable/satellite/streaming services.

Part of me wants to say the TV industry will learn from the music industry and give you decent options to buy stuff online eventually but then I remember that the most popular option for buying music is iTunes which is an absolutely awful experience to use and is locked down as gently caress so although it's still better than any option that exists for TV... I think progress on this front is going to be slow. (Yes I know you can buy TV shows on itunes for download but as far as I know that's stuff that is out on bluray, so doesn't apply to the conversation about "cord cutting" and recent/current content anyway)

Col.Kiwi fucked around with this message at 20:51 on May 8, 2015

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I agree that the variety of content on iTunes is poo poo :canada:, but I've never had problems purchasing music from there.

Bieeardo posted:

I pass that plaza a couple times a week, and that that place is still open never ceases to amaze me.

I'm afraid to try and go inside, only to discover that the storefront is some kind of shared hallucination.

My theory is that the city has the critical mass of
- non-computer savvy
- low data cap
- ignorant about VPNs
- poo poo-tier cable

people to support it. Also, they're basically a quasi-Gamestop too; what with the games/pop culture crap they sell, and used products being all margin.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 21:28 on May 8, 2015

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

This is interesting. Still more than I am willing to pay but I like that there is progress.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/vmedia-approved-to-offer-internet-tv-across-canada-1.3067318

quote:

VMedia, which operates an internet-based TV service in Ontario, has been approved to offer the same service across Canada.

The Canadian Radio-Television and Telecommunications Commission has awarded VMedia four licences for TV services across Canada.

VMedia is an internet service provider and provides access to television signals through an settop box.

In Ontario, it provides a basic package of 50 channels starting at $30 a month, and a premium package of 70 channels for $45. It could take three to six months for the service to roll out in other provinces.

The packages have all the major Canadian and U.S. networks and a selection of specialty channels, making them a close match to the new criteria for cable bundling set out by the CRTC earlier this year.

VMedia launched two years ago in Ontario, offering TV channels over the internet and will be the first ISP to begin providing TV across Canada as a full alternative to cable.

The TV signal comes over a home internet connection instead of cable or satellite.

The settop box also provides access to online content – such as Netflix, YouTube, games, music, social media and apps.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Well I just signed up with Start.ca , since they're a tad bit cheaper than Teksavvy

Of course I tried to book the cancellation with Teksavvy, but they don't schedule anything past 30 days out.... wut?

WaffleLove
Aug 16, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

God caps are such bullshit because I don't get gently caress-all for being under my cap by 40-60GB most months, the second I go over I need to pay some absurd made up amount of money. Unlimited options kinda suck because most months I'm not going past my cap so it hard feels worth paying more for. :sigh:

(Also, before I'm judged for being with Rogers - I got a pretty good deal otherwise, 58$ a month for something like 40/4 and 200GB cap. )

Depends on the agent you get in High-Speed Cable really. It all down to who you get, how you talk. Some can forgive it completely some won't just cause they like that power. Honestly what you might be able to do is threaten to switch to a competitor and get transferred to Customer Care/Retention and they'll be able to waive it however they'll either force you to go unlimited for the extra 30 or whatever (complete bs really), that when knowing the price for competitor will come in handy.

I've looked at vmedia before, hmm maybe I can get their cable now in my building :D

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
I'm thinking about switching from Telus to Lightspeed as their prices are better on the lower limit cable packages (30down/2.5up is $36), and all the cable packages are unlimited. Anyone else using them?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Col.Kiwi posted:

Part of me wants to say the TV industry will learn from the music industry and give you decent options to buy stuff online eventually but then I remember that the most popular option for buying music is iTunes which is an absolutely awful experience to use and is locked down as gently caress so although it's still better than any option that exists for TV... I think progress on this front is going to be slow. (Yes I know you can buy TV shows on itunes for download but as far as I know that's stuff that is out on bluray, so doesn't apply to the conversation about "cord cutting" and recent/current content anyway)

I've never used iTunes but I've been pretty happy with Google Play Music; the few times I've used it it's been extremely painless to give them my money and get a DRM-free pile of FLACs and MP3s in exchange.

GPVideo was pretty bad last time I tried using it, though.

Video still has a long way to go. I've basically lost all desire to pirate video games because Steam and GOG win on convenience, and music and books are at least moving in that direction, but for video it's still way, way easier to pirate it than to actually give someone money for it.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
Just signed up for Private Internet Access and it's really, really easy to use on both desktop and on iOS. Great recommendation.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Quick question. The stock Shaw modems have a bunch of features either locked down or completely excised from their interfaces. If I get the modem changed over to bridge mode and get a third party router, will the equivalent features on the third party router work fine? What I mean to say is, there won't be some poo poo still lurking on the Shaw modem going "We're going to block/intercept X feature on the router from working because we don't allow it to work on our modems."

I'm assuming that doesn't happen and the router would work perfectly fine, I'm just super paranoid about Shaws terrible business practices and wouldn't put anything past them.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

So Telus gave us a runaround and surprise, 100 osmt available, only 25.

So fuckem frankly,how good has teksavvy been for cable in Edmonton for anyone? There's seven of us in this house, 25 isn't cutting it.

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Quick question. The stock Shaw modems have a bunch of features either locked down or completely excised from their interfaces. If I get the modem changed over to bridge mode and get a third party router, will the equivalent features on the third party router work fine? What I mean to say is, there won't be some poo poo still lurking on the Shaw modem going "We're going to block/intercept X feature on the router from working because we don't allow it to work on our modems."

I'm assuming that doesn't happen and the router would work perfectly fine, I'm just super paranoid about Shaws terrible business practices and wouldn't put anything past them.

You should be fine. The only thing you may need to do is clone the MAC address of the "registered" device to the WAN interface of your router. I'm not sure if cable companies still do this or not though.

WaffleLove
Aug 16, 2007

bigmandan posted:

You should be fine. The only thing you may need to do is clone the MAC address of the "registered" device to the WAN interface of your router. I'm not sure if cable companies still do this or not though.

Rogers does(need to talk to teir2). But we weren't allowed tell ppl that. Bell Canada too(I just asked them if I would be able to get my own vdsl modem). it just means they can't TS it or gain access.

WaffleLove fucked around with this message at 15:03 on May 15, 2015

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!

StealthArcher posted:

So Telus gave us a runaround and surprise, 100 osmt available, only 25.

So fuckem frankly,how good has teksavvy been for cable in Edmonton for anyone? There's seven of us in this house, 25 isn't cutting it.

Shaws cable service is usually quite reliable but their prices are undesirable now that they have switched over to the digital cable stuff.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Sprawl posted:

Shaws cable service is usually quite reliable but their prices are undesirable now that they have switched over to the digital cable stuff.

Yeah, were on shaw and want to leave because the student deal a different mix of people decided on jumped up the rear end in cost. Even just moving up to shaws 60 plan costs like 100$ and has no unlimited option.

gently caress you shaw.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
If you already have Shaw I'd recommend switching over to TekSavvy, I've had a good run with them. Not sure how they compare price wise though. I frequently get faster speeds then I pay for. Unfortunately, however, Shaw's network as a whole is oversold, so during peak hours, I have seen the speeds go down.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

If you bridge the modem and use your own router those features will work fine, no MAC cloning or other workaround needed. Stuff like the USB port aren't disabled because we're vindictive assholes, but because of the additional support burden that would place on our technical support reps. We couldn't care less what you do with your own router, because at that point if something isn't working properly it's not our problem to deal with.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Coxswain Balls posted:

If you bridge the modem and use your own router those features will work fine, no MAC cloning or other workaround needed. Stuff like the USB port aren't disabled because we're vindictive assholes, but because of the additional support burden that would place on our technical support reps. We couldn't care less what you do with your own router, because at that point if something isn't working properly it's not our problem to deal with.

So do you ever plan to bring unlimited back or is that part of "following industry trends" out because gouging for bandwidth in 2015 is loverly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

StealthArcher posted:

So do you ever plan to bring unlimited back or is that part of "following industry trends" out because gouging for bandwidth in 2015 is loverly?

I work on the technical side of things, so if you're looking for a real answer you're asking the wrong person. I understand the rationale of usage caps as a way of mitigating saturation, but I still believe there are better ways of doing it that need to be investigated. Here's an old post I made that still applies today.

Coxswain Balls posted:

priznat posted:

Sooooo shaw's 100Mbs plan is kind of tempting me, except the 500GB/month worries me. Streaming a lot of hi def movies from Netflix (spoofed into thinking I am in a super HD zone) and iTunes which add up significantly.

Take this with a grain of salt, but I've only ever seen us take action on accounts where you consistently go over the stated usage limits by very large amounts, like doubling or tripling it, month after month. And even then, only on really saturated nodes. Just the other day I upgraded someone who was on our most basic bundled plan, which has a 0.5Mbps connection and a 5GB usage limit, and they were hitting the 100GB mark each month and I didn't see any action taken. They were in a smaller town and were getting double what I had upgraded them to after testing it, so that probably had something to do with it, as well.

Standard disclaimer saying that I work for Shaw and that any opinions are my own unless otherwise stated.