Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Kesper North posted:

....I didn't get that Redemption Ark was a pun until just now.

It is? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Oh I get it. A redemption arc is the story a character goes through but also it's an ark the boat (spaceship?) I mean I haven't read it but I guess that's a pun.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Krinkle posted:

Oh I get it. A redemption arc is the story a character goes through but also it's an ark the boat (spaceship?) I mean I haven't read it but I guess that's a pun.

Yes, and pretty fitting to the story as well.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I love Capt. Brannigan's continued redemption in book 3. He and Scorpio turn out to be some of the best characters of the series. :mrapig:

Volyova is still #1 though.

Semi-related: gently caress I hope Reynolds writes a sequel to The Prefect soon.

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 02:23 on May 7, 2015

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Kesper North posted:

....I didn't get that Redemption Ark was a pun until just now.

I remember when I first realized it and I then I spent awhile trying to figure out if any of the other RS names could be puns that also went over my head

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
Off-topic but I always thought the saying 'no news is good news' mean that all news was bad, rather than not hearing news is a good sign. Which kinda equates to the same thing.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

thehomemaster posted:

Off-topic but I always thought the saying 'no news is good news' mean that all news was bad, rather than not hearing news is a good sign. Which kinda equates to the same thing.

Nothing is, in fact, good, and everything is the most detestable nonsense, a nonsense so profound and meaningless it cannot even be remarked upon.

(I've been reading Thomas Ligotti who's pretty good but probably belongs more in horror than SF/F)

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

General Battuta posted:

Nothing is, in fact, good, and everything is the most detestable nonsense, a nonsense so profound and meaningless it cannot even be remarked upon.

(I've been reading Thomas Ligotti who's pretty good but probably belongs more in horror than SF/F)

:):hf::)

Ligotti owns but yeah probably probably more horror. Though My Work is Not Yet Done and Nightmare Factory probably qualify as 'fantasy', genre labels are hard to enforce.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Chasm City is very much the second book in the series, you need to have read it to understand a couple of bits in Redemption Ark.
Honestly, it was probably my favorite. Might be me just having bad taste, but the reaction to the aforementioned final scene was basically "Wow. Badass.".

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I don't remember much about the snake face thing, but weird genetic modification body horror is a big part of the Revelation Space universe (and Al Reynolds books in general), so I certainly didn't mind.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
You could just buy all of them as one ebook....

http://www.amazon.com.au/Revelation...astair+Reynolds

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

General Battuta posted:

Ligotti is weird just for how hard it used to be to actually get any of his books. It took him forever to get out of small press publication. I don't know if he was doing it on purpose or he was just too obscure.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

thehomemaster posted:

You could just buy all of them as one ebook....

http://www.amazon.com.au/Revelation...astair+Reynolds

There are five books and the kindle version of each are like six or eight bucks. Seventy bucks for all of them in one file is a terrible deal. Also I already bought three stand alone kindle versions.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

Elderbean posted:

I like Peter Watts but the last book in the rifters trilogy is kind of a mess and has a bunch of creepy torture rape that comes off as a little strong.

I'm planning on rereading the Rifters trilogy but i got the feeling that after Maelstrom he didn't know where to take the story and just did a retread of the previous books. I really hated that ending.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Krinkle posted:

There are five books and the kindle version of each are like six or eight bucks. Seventy bucks for all of them in one file is a terrible deal. Also I already bought three stand alone kindle versions.

Those are Australian bux.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Oh well that's not as terrible as it seemed but it's still more than buying individually unless Australian amazon rips you off something awful on the individual books. And it looks like they do. drat. That's a nasty cartel that amazon. Shakin down the little uhhh blokes?

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

Krinkle posted:

Five? But the collection says it includes seven novels.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Crashbee posted:

Five? But the collection says it includes seven novels.

Five novels, one double-novella collection and one short story collection. Honestly buying all those books in a bookstore here would cost me $140 so $70 is a loving steal, but I already have them all.

Edit: for posterity, after buying that all you'd be missing from the entire Rev Space saga is 2 short stories: "Monkey Suit" (not that good), and "The Last Log of the Lachrimosa" (really loving good).

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 14:10 on May 7, 2015

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Well wikipedia says, oh right. Wikipedia doesn't even know which book comes before the other. Well gently caress man I don't know. It's moot for anyone who isn't australian, though.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.
It's far cheaper on the UK store anyway http://www.amazon.co.uk/Revelation-...Book+Collection

e: about $30 USD

Crashbee fucked around with this message at 14:13 on May 7, 2015

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Krinkle posted:

It's moot for anyone who isn't australian, though.

Here's the same thing for Amurricans for $55: http://www.amazon.com/Revelation-Space-eBook-Collection-ebook/dp/B005SZ1OFW

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
As for the order the books are in within the collection, I would only say read Galactic North (the collection) either directly before Absolution Gap or directly after it. "Galactic North" (the short story) ties directly into the epilogue of AG, so even if you read the rest of the collection before AG, save that one story and go back to it the second you finish the final sentence of AG.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Hedrigall posted:

I love Capt. Brannigan's continued redemption in book 3. He and Scorpio turn out to be some of the best characters of the series. :mrapig:

Some of the best characters in an Alastair Reynolds series? Such great heights...

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

this title is currently not available for purchase, to the right.

Street Soldier
Oct 28, 2005

An egotistical being like myself can't be allowed to live...

Today I found out this is coming out in a bit under two months :gizz:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

thehomemaster posted:

It's usually attributed to James I, who was quoted as saying "no news is better than evil news". :spergin:

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Street Soldier posted:

Today I found out this is coming out in a bit under two months :gizz:

Awesome, love when series actually come out fast with the sequels. That cover sucks rear end though

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

savinhill posted:

Awesome, love when series actually come out fast with the sequels. That cover sucks rear end though

Is it about an actual queen? That is totally a dude on that cover.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

goodness posted:

I am shocked at the revelation that the cover artwork of a fantasy novel might not accurately depict the content.

Street Soldier
Oct 28, 2005

An egotistical being like myself can't be allowed to live...

goodness posted:

It's Vaelin, the main character, he's on the cover all of these editions.

savinhill posted:

:shrug:

Street Soldier fucked around with this message at 00:33 on May 8, 2015

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
I was disappointed by the last one so hopefully it was just middle book syndrome.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Hand Row posted:

I was disappointed by the last one so hopefully it was just middle book syndrome.

Hear, hear!

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Why is "never before published" somehow a worthwhile blurb to put on the cover of a novel? I'm trying to figure it out but it doesn't make sense.

ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!

Velius posted:

Why is "never before published" somehow a worthwhile blurb to put on the cover of a novel? I'm trying to figure it out but it doesn't make sense.

The first book was originally self published before it got picked up and rereleased.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

ZerodotJander posted:

The first book was originally self published before it got picked up and rereleased.

...so did the third book exist in self-published form too, or has the blurb lost what little worth it once had?

I mean even if that is true it's still a bizarre choice.

Also this probably explains why the first book read like it was in desperate need of another editing pass or three.

robotox
Nov 8, 2008

Mechanized
Organism
Designed
Only for
Killing
Could any of you fine folks direct me to some books in the vein of Stross' Laundry Files, Aaronovitch's Rivers of London, and Cornell's Shadow Police series? Basically, anything sci-fi or fantasy that has a noir/detective/crime vibe. I've read most of the classic cyberpunk stuff.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

robotox posted:

Could any of you fine folks direct me to some books in the vein of Stross' Laundry Files, Aaronovitch's Rivers of London, and Cornell's Shadow Police series? Basically, anything sci-fi or fantasy that has a noir/detective/crime vibe. I've read most of the classic cyberpunk stuff.

I believe Gun, With Occasional Music is a go-to here.

The Thursday Next series, Shades of Grey, and the Nursery Crime series by Jasper Fforde are also on my list of detectives in fantasy.

Should be noted that all of the above books are also strongly absurdist, which may alter your experience with them.

There's also Tamora Pierce's Shatterglass, which plays it much more straight and is only nominally YA (just trust me on this, it's a seriously nasty mystery). Truth spells and magical forensics abound.

Finally, there's Pratchett's Vimes entries in the Discworld canon, which are, of course, excellent.

cultureulterior
Jan 27, 2004
Glen Cook's TunFaire series is pretty noir, as is Harry Connolly's 20 Palaces series.

On another topic, I just read the latest of Charlaine Harris's new series- Day Shift- and while it was a drat good book, now that she's revealed what races/breeds all the characters are, I'm a bit disappointed. I guess the conflict between Olivia's Dad and the town will be interesting, however

cultureulterior fucked around with this message at 22:47 on May 10, 2015

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

robotox posted:

Adam Sternbergh's Spade Man books are some of my favorite genre noir. Great dialogue and characters, cool post-apocalyptic cyberpunk New York setting

I also like Daniel Polansky's Low Town, it's fanatsy noir and has a Lovecraft dark magic angle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

robotox posted:

Mike Carey's Felix Castor novels.