Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
All we really know is that under it all will be commentary regarding DC's faultless religious savior figure has been unable to save the universe while Marvel's flawed and dangerous embodiment of scientific progress can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SirDan3k posted:

All we really know is that under it all will be commentary regarding DC's faultless religious savior figure has been unable to save the universe while Marvel's flawed and dangerous embodiment of scientific progress can.

:gaz:

drat straight.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

net cafe scandal posted:

I think Ms. Marvel is probably dead like everyone else, because she was not explicitly shown to be ported onto the life raft, and that Doom is going to save everyone by making Battleworld out of chunks of destroyed universes somehow, probably by doing time poo poo.

Reading the start of Secret Wars #1, they talk about how it's assumed the White Light you see is synapsis dying, but it is in fact the face of God.

It could also be read that the White Light where two universes crash together in Incursions isn't them dying, but Doom grabbing them to put them in Battleworld.

Doc Aquatic
Jul 30, 2003

Current holder of the Plush-bum Mr. Sweets Chair in American Hobology

Havoc904 posted:

For people looking for the entire run up to Secret Wars, Senor Candle posted the following in the previous thread with link to the entire Avengers & New Avengers comixology bundles for pretty decent prices.

I'm getting in on this, and I want to catch up on Avengers/New Avengers/Infinity, but the read order link isn't working. does anyone have a working version?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Doc Aquatic posted:

I'm getting in on this, and I want to catch up on Avengers/New Avengers/Infinity, but the read order link isn't working. does anyone have a working version?

There's one in the back of every Infinity issue.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Doc Aquatic posted:

See the OP--all the links in that quoted post were busted.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

The Question IRL posted:

Reading the start of Secret Wars #1, they talk about how it's assumed the White Light you see is synapsis dying, but it is in fact the face of God.

It could also be read that the White Light where two universes crash together in Incursions isn't them dying, but Doom grabbing them to put them in Battleworld.

I'm certain you're right, which explains why we see Doctor Doom's eyes at the end there, but I wonder if all the peeps that were shown explicitly dying before the incursion are in a more precarious situation. LIke, I assume Black Widow got killed by Ultimate Reed's hosed up mechs, and that Tony and Steve got crushed by a helicarrier, and that there are a shitload of dead civvies.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Yeah, and we started with two universes here; even if everyone in 616 comes out of Secret Wars ok, everyone in 1610 is probably foof'ed even discounting things like Hulk chucking Ultimate Fury into NY harbor.

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!

redbackground posted:

See the OP--all the links in that quoted post were busted.

https://www.comixology.com/Avengers-by-Jonathan-Hickman-The-Complete-Series/bundle/916 Updated Link for Avengers Bundle $41.99

https://www.comixology.com/Infinity/bundle/842 Infinity Bundle $71.99

https://www.comixology.com/New-Avengers-by-Jonathan-Hickman-The-Complete-Series/bundle/925 New Avengers Bundle $29.99

For some reason the previous links broke within the past hour.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Yeah those are good, don't bother with the Infinity bundle though
https://www.comixology.com/Infinity/comics-series/11126?ref=Y29taWMvdmlldy9kZXNrdG9wL2JyZWFkY3J1bWJz Just buy the single issues
That bundle has all the issues with an Infinity banner on them, and all you need is Avengers, New Avengers and Infinity. You'll get the Avengers and New Avengers issues through the other two bundles.

EDIT: That's really weird how all those links broke, especially for the reading order. I've got that thing bookmarked and that still works.

EDIT EDIT: Also if you are interested in reading the whole series, you aren't going to find it cheaper than the ~$90 you'd spend on those bundles. Unless you read it on MU at least.

Senor Candle fucked around with this message at 23:02 on May 7, 2015

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Deadpool posted:

In the Uncanny Inhumans preview that's after Secret Wars the same mists that were released by Black Bolt are still slowly making their way around the world. More evidence that everything gets put back to somewhat exactly the same way it was before Secret Wars.

I half suspect that Cyclops is acting as a stand-in for Hickman re: the ostensible Marvel Universe reboot when he's Pheonixing up: "Listen to me...you can't kill an idea, it always comes back resurrected. Or reborn into a different form."

nah thanks fucked around with this message at 01:24 on May 8, 2015

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

All the bad taste of NA and A not being proper closures got wiped away with this. It's not an end. It's a beginning. :getin:

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

gfanikf posted:

:gaz:

drat straight.

Doom is magic, he doesn't count as scientific.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

squidgee posted:

I half suspect that Cyclops is acting as a stand-in for Hickman re: the ostensible Marvel Universe reboot when he's Pheonixing up: "Listen to me...you can't kill an idea, it always comes back resurrected. Or reborn into a different form."

Yup. Phoenix and the Beyonders have very meta dialogue. The Phoenix could be some sort of extension of, or contemporary to the Beyonders.

What a great first issue. Had to remind myself that this is not a hoax, a dream, or imaginary story! This is the real deal. The regular and ultimate Marvel Universes are dead! Everything died. Now I'm waiting for the big "Everything lives!" moment.

The stakes have never been higher. What a great time to be a Marvel fan!

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Boogaleeboo posted:

Doom is magic, he doesn't count as scientific.

Isn't he both?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Magic people can use science, science people can't use magic. It's why Reed Richards can build a machine to take him to heaven and get his friend's soul back from God, but then writers will give him speeches where he doesn't believe in any divine order.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Die Laughing posted:

The stakes have never been higher. What a great time to be a Marvel fan!

Exactly how I feel right now.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Die Laughing posted:

What a great time to be a Marvel fan!
This is very true.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It's such a huge contrast. Everyone in here's so loving hyped.

In the Convergence thread it's all wailing and gnashing of teeth.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

SynthOrange posted:

It's such a huge contrast. Everyone in here's so loving hyped.

In the Convergence thread it's all wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Is it because DC has a worse track record when it comes to event comics or is it just the New 52 malaise just hovering over everything?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

OldTennisCourt posted:

Is it because DC has a worse track record when it comes to event comics or is it just the New 52 malaise just hovering over everything?

It's because this has been something Hickman has been building to for years and is writing alone. Convergence was pretty much editorially mandated and handed off to B to C-list talent as something to publish while DC moved from NY to California.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah has a major crossover ever had this much set up?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Infinite Crisis had a ton of long-running set-up that eventually led into the main event. It gets a lot of flack nowadays for a lot of very legit reasons, but I remember every DC fan at the time being really excited and intrigued by how tiny bits and pieces throughout the entire DCU slowly built up to a COIE sequel. It pretty much set the standard for big modern crossover event books...which in retrospect was a terrible thing.

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

Does anyone know how many of the Avengers, New Avengers and Infinity comics are available via the Marvel Unlimited service?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

All of Infinity and up to Avengers #37 and NA #25.

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012
What zoux said. The last eight issues of each series aren't included on the service yet, and as you might expect, neither is Secret Wars #1. Also, the annuals are separated into their own series for whatever reason.

If you weren't aware, you can actually browse every Marvel series on their website and then check to see if individual issues are on Unlimited. They'll have the Unlimited logo in the lower righthand corner of each cover's thumbnail if they're available, or you can filter to just show issues on the service by checking the "Marvel Unlimited" checkbox next to the Sort & Filter dropdown menu.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

BrianWilly posted:

Infinite Crisis had a ton of long-running set-up that eventually led into the main event. It gets a lot of flack nowadays for a lot of very legit reasons, but I remember every DC fan at the time being really excited and intrigued by how tiny bits and pieces throughout the entire DCU slowly built up to a COIE sequel. It pretty much set the standard for big modern crossover event books...which in retrospect was a terrible thing.

The only problem I have with Infinite Crisis is that it wasn't a reboot and that's mostly because what they chose to use was poo poo. It was a perfect point to do the Nu52 relaunch but DC editorial was like "NOPE GONNA USE THIS FLASH CROSSOVER! YUM-YUM POOPY TASTES GOOD!"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Auralsaurus Flex posted:

What zoux said. The last eight issues of each series aren't included on the service yet, and as you might expect, neither is Secret Wars #1. Also, the annuals are separated into their own series for whatever reason.

If you weren't aware, you can actually browse every Marvel series on their website and then check to see if individual issues are on Unlimited. They'll have the Unlimited logo in the lower righthand corner of each cover's thumbnail if they're available, or you can filter to just show issues on the service by checking the "Marvel Unlimited" checkbox next to the Sort & Filter dropdown menu.

Last six. You'd have to buy 12 issues to catch up fully.

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

Awesome, thanks for the heads up. I am going to power through everything leading up to Secret Wars this week.

If anyone is in the same boat, Marvel is also running a free month of Marvel Unlimited if you use the code "Ultron"!

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012

zoux posted:

Last six. You'd have to buy 12 issues to catch up fully.
:confused:

33 − 25 = 8 and 44 − 37 = 7, so Avengers #34.2 makes it 8 a piece unless I'm missing something. Unlimited is 6 months behind – not 6 issues – so the double-shipped months of January/April and November/March account for the two additional issues per series.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

SirDan3k posted:

The only problem I have with Infinite Crisis is that it wasn't a reboot and that's mostly because what they chose to use was poo poo. It was a perfect point to do the Nu52 relaunch but DC editorial was like "NOPE GONNA USE THIS FLASH CROSSOVER! YUM-YUM POOPY TASTES GOOD!"

If they had rebooted then we wouldn't have gotten 52 and you should feel bad for even imagining that reality into existence.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Read Hickman's Ultimates if it's on Unlimited. Gives you everything about Ultimate Reed, and it's a great story to boot.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I found this on Twitter, it's the entire Hickman Avengers run in the same layout as his Infinity read order graphic.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Senor Candle posted:

If they had rebooted then we wouldn't have gotten 52 and you should feel bad for even imagining that reality into existence.

Actually I was mixing up Final Crisis and Infinite Crisis.

Comics really need to expand the world shaking crossover name pool.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Deadpool posted:

I found this on Twitter, it's the entire Hickman Avengers run in the same layout as his Infinity read order graphic.

That's pretty goddamn awesome. Though it could use some arrows, infinity was kind of confusing since I never knew what correct path was.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 07:07 on May 8, 2015

LazyDivey
Jun 18, 2004

Orange crush momma is a laugh laugh laugh.

CapnAndy posted:

1. The weird Beyonder-voice is a representative (maybe?) of the species (individual?) who caused all the universes to crash into each other and explode (probably?). Doom has issues with this.
2. EVERYBODY.

So we don't actually know what caused the universes to collide? I'm a casual x-men reader and I have no idea why the universes are colliding

Also how is Cyclop phoenix again if Hope and Scarlet Witch no more phoenix'd it away? Did Cyclops poop out the egg in AvsX?

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

LazyDivey posted:

So we don't actually know what caused the universes to collide? I'm a casual x-men reader and I have no idea why the universes are colliding

Also how is Cyclop phoenix again if Hope and Scarlet Witch no more phoenix'd it away? Did Cyclops poop out the egg in AvsX?

You have to read like all of Hickmans run to understand it but the short answer is The Beyonders did it (Also Doom, but he was only trying to help. Sort of)

The Pheonix Egg and Nation X haven't really been explained, they're just part of the 8 Months Later time jump. It's doubtful they will be.

Nobby
Sep 10, 2006

Everyone cries when they're stabbed. There's no shame in that.
So it looks like that random assortment of characters on the Issue 3 cover just got a lot less random.

Minus the one that looked like Black Widow (who the hell is that, then?)

I'm assuming Miles stowed away on Ultimate Reed's Raft after being serendipitously right there for its launch. A stowaway story (on a ship full of villains, maybe Namor to play off) for him could be a lot of fun, and we get a second Miles/Peter teamup out of it.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
If I were Spider-Man I would demand May and MJ be on the life raft. I want a Spider world with adult MJ, young MJ, Spider Gwen, young Gwen, younger May, Jess Spider, and Miles run in a crew.

MJ: "I grow up to be a super model!!!"
Adult MJ: "Yes. The you and Peter get married and sell it to the devil."
Gwens: "What about us?"
Adult MJ: "You have sex with the Green Goblin and then die."
Gwens: "..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

LazyDivey posted:

Basically the Beyonders decided that they were tired of messing around with the multiverse and wanted to see what would happen if it blew up. So they altered every version of Owen Reece (the villain Molecule Man) linking them together and turning them into a universe destroying bomb. The plan was for them to all blow up at the same time, thus taking everything out in one fell swoop. Doom teams up with 616's Molecule Man and together they step outside the universe and start travelling through the multiverse murdering each universe's Molecule Man. Because of the energies involved this causes a slight imbalance in the universes and Doom basically did it enough times that it went over the tipping point and started to cascade into the collisions.

• Locked thread