Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Kasonic posted:

Here's pages and pages of '78 Lucas being the voice of reason and storytelling, it's weird

http://moedred.livejournal.com/2009/03/04/

So, this is what I was talking about when I said that George Lucas totally knows a lot about some things. The further he goes from cinema and radio serials prior to around 1960, the worse off he is. He was well-suited to do a more modern take on serial space opera/The Hero's Journey (namely, the original trilogy), but really poorly-qualified to expand/extend/build on the thing he created. He didn't create the "boy comes of age, gets magic powers, saves world with them" story, but it definitely gained currency in sci-fi and fantasy around the time of the original films, and just like that, he was no longer the best person to make his own films.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

BEHOLD THE POWER OF THIS FULLY OPERATIONAL FRIENDSHIP STATION

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

theironjef posted:

That particular book ended with Solo and Chewie finding a lost treasure ship full of the great war machines of some evil overlord, and then realizing it was all worthless because technological progression had rendered everything in the ship obsolete.

No "it belongs in a museum"? How ironic.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

muscles like this? posted:

They've announced details about the first spin off movie and its an entry into the crowded "who stole the Death Star plans" genre. I guess with them getting rid of the rest of the continuity this is the one true version of events.

And shouted out
Who stole the Death Star plans
Coz after all
It was you and me

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

theironjef posted:

Honestly those Han Solo books were pretty great compared to the bulk of EU crap. Helps that they're from like 1979. That particular book ended with Solo and Chewie finding a lost treasure ship full of the great war machines of some evil overlord, and then realizing it was all worthless because technological progression had rendered everything in the ship obsolete.

And then 4000 year old KOTOR era robot HK47 gets reactivated and is still effective :v:

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax
Anyone catch lords of the sith yet? I'm only two hours into the audiobook and feel a bit cheated. Turns out the main characters are Hera's daddy and his not-girlfriend who likes to pretend she is a prostitute to hunt imperial officers to make up for her childhood as a prostitute? I thought this book was about Vader and Sheev buddy action hour, so far it's the loving twilek with the dragon tattoo.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Cyberball 2072 posted:

Anyone catch lords of the sith yet? I'm only two hours into the audiobook and feel a bit cheated. Turns out the main characters are Hera's daddy and his not-girlfriend who likes to pretend she is a prostitute to hunt imperial officers to make up for her childhood as a prostitute? I thought this book was about Vader and Sheev buddy action hour, so far it's the loving twilek with the dragon tattoo.

Someone needs to write a book where Sheev and Vader sit around and smoke weed out of a bong made from Mace Windu's lightsaber.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

George Lucas has been out to destroy Indiana Jones since the day the idea crossed his desk.

G — We've established that he's a college professor. It doesn't have to be done in a strong way. It starts out in a museum. They just call him doctor this and doctor that. We can very easily make that transition, and very quickly establish that whole side of his character. In the story the ramifications of him as a ghost hunter have not been dealt with yet. But I put it in his character for use in some other way.

He's been pushing that ghost bullshit since day 1.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
mista jones mista jones

shut up shortround I'm listening for poltergeists

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax
Raiders of the lost arc special edition with cgi'ed in Zelda Rubenstein

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

This is a GREAT read.

G — They're the third world local sleazos. Whether, they're Mexicans or Arabs or whatever.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

The Monkey Man posted:

Gotta go with the Emperor coming back from the dead multiple times.

just write a story in the huge and uncontested amount of "time" (fake time) that the mperor isn't yet dudead!

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

blowfish posted:

And then 4000 year old KOTOR era robot HK47 gets reactivated and is still effective :v:

He's a piss-poor assassin now because protocol droids don't look like him anymore, at least.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Sammus posted:

George Lucas has been out to destroy Indiana Jones since the day the idea crossed his desk.

G — We've established that he's a college professor. It doesn't have to be done in a strong way. It starts out in a museum. They just call him doctor this and doctor that. We can very easily make that transition, and very quickly establish that whole side of his character. In the story the ramifications of him as a ghost hunter have not been dealt with yet. But I put it in his character for use in some other way.

He's been pushing that ghost bullshit since day 1.

And that whole "he should be a pedophile" thing. That was the moment when I realized that Spielberg was a loving hack that got lucky by having things go against him early in his career. Seriously: how poo poo would Jaws have been if he'd be able to use his robot shark as much as he wanted?

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
indiana jones was supposed to be a pedophile?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Fetus Tree posted:

indiana jones was supposed to be a pedophile?

quote:

During a 70s brainstorming session for Raiders, Steven Spielberg and George Lucas seriously considered the idea that Indiana Jones' backstory should totally include the time he had sex with a girl who still had most of her baby teeth. Lucas commented that it would be "amusing," to which Spielberg immediately added that it would be even funnier if Marion was this 12 year-old slut who came on to Indy and seduced him!

well hmmm

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
whut

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

more like indiana bones kids

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Trevor Hale posted:

And that whole "he should be a pedophile" thing. That was the moment when I realized that Spielberg was a loving hack that got lucky by having things go against him early in his career. Seriously: how poo poo would Jaws have been if he'd be able to use his robot shark as much as he wanted?

The more freedom Spielberg and Lucas were given, the worse their work got. If they started out with the budgets and free-reign they ended their directing careers with, those classics that we loved so much (Star Wars/Indy/ET/Jaws) would have been utterly poo poo.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
"guys how funny would it be if our main character banged a 12 year old but it's okay because she comes on to him!"

holy hell

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Is this another, "Rene Auberjonois (Odo) is a holocaust denier" rumour?

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Blistex posted:

Is this another, "Rene Auberjonois (Odo) is a holocaust denier" rumour?

probably because indiana jones banging a 12 year old is absolutely stupid and the MPAA never was going to let that happen in a PG movie

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Trevor Hale posted:

That bit of Jaws lore is a myth - they used the shark about as much as they wanted in the film. The idea to introduce it late was always the plan.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

SaltLick posted:

well hmmm

was speilburg serious or mocking lucas with a Modest Proposal

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax
Everyone in the book barn thread are too busy spergin about sound in space to answer a simple question.

Are the old cassette releases of the X-Wing rogue squadron novels the only audiobook option for those books? Or is there a newer release I'm not seeing?

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
i wish we talked about things like space in this thread

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Defiance Industries posted:

He's a piss-poor assassin now because protocol droids don't look like him anymore, at least.

they never did though

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
I was at a geek speed dating event and met a transwoman who said she loved the EU and thought the original trilogy was boring. Christ.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Hadaka Apron posted:

I was at a geek speed dating event and met a transwoman who said she loved the EU and thought the original trilogy was boring. Christ.

would

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Cyberball 2072 posted:

Everyone in the book barn thread are too busy spergin about sound in space to answer a simple question.

Are the old cassette releases of the X-Wing rogue squadron novels the only audiobook option for those books? Or is there a newer release I'm not seeing?

Ummm audible has them I think. Is that what you're talking about?

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

blowfish posted:

they never did though

im p sure the hk droids were built to look like regular protocol droids, also kotor and the ot are the only star wars things i can sperg out on

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

shiksa posted:

im p sure the hk droids were built to look like regular protocol droids, also kotor and the ot are the only star wars things i can sperg out on

Yeah, HK-51 used that cover to get into the Harbinger in the start of KotOR2.

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax

silvergoose posted:

Ummm audible has them I think. Is that what you're talking about?

Yea, looks like the audible version is the old abridged tapes.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Hadaka Apron posted:

What's her forums name?

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
psyoprodian

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Not too long ago, I just finished watching the original trilogy for the first time ever. Yeah, I have no idea how I avoided Star Wars for that long, either. But I'm ready for Christmas now.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Level Slide posted:

Not too long ago, I just finished watching the original trilogy for the first time ever. Yeah, I have no idea how I avoided Star Wars for that long, either. But I'm ready for Christmas now.

you are definitely not a high enough level to post ITT. come back when you know what a luuke or sithspawn is

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Hadaka Apron posted:

It's always weird to me that people kinda miss what made the original films good which is that there are likable, relatable characters and a strong though basic plot of the good underdog triumphing over the evil establishment and the power of friendship. Lightsabers and space monks and spaceships and breathing suits are cool but that's all dressing and the movies didn't stick with me as a kid because of that poo poo it';s because of scenes like Vader sacrificing himself to save his son or Yoda teaching Luke to believe in himself and how wars not make one great or Luke realizing his friends were most important to him and skipping out on his training even if it meant he'd die. The EU doesn't understand that's why Star Wars is gonna live on forever, not because of a laser sword or massive superweapons or supertorture bioweapon outside-the-Force monster people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
star wars stuck w me because han solo was a badass with a cool hairy friend and a rad space ship with cool sounding guns

• Locked thread