Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

victrix posted:

How is that Armageddon game?

I had it on my wishlist for awhile, but some cursory research made it look like it was a grognardy ww2 war game reskinned with 40k stuff.

It's basically this, yes. Pretty hard to get into and full of redundant units.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Awesome! posted:

metrocide is on my wishlist and otttttd looks...not terrible so im in for a buck i guess

Druid's Duel and Particulars are v good so I'd go for the $6

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

victrix posted:

How is that Armageddon game?

I had it on my wishlist for awhile, but some cursory research made it look like it was a grognardy ww2 war game reskinned with 40k stuff.

If it definitely a grognard game.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I'll pass, warhams for me is angry marines yelling platitudes for the emperor and orks laughing at them in redneck brit accents

tidiox
Jul 22, 2007
If you bought Invisible Inc. in Early Access, you can download the final release build right now. They released it early as a Thank You for supporting development.

If you didn't buy Invisible Inc. in EA, you can buy it next Tuesday and should probably keep an eye on it. It's by the same studio who made Mark of the Ninja, this time tackling the stealth genre from a different angle: turn-based, tactical espionage.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Is Vertiginous Golf any good? Came out of Early Access a few days ago and is in the top tier of the weekly humble bundle for less than its listing on Steam. Reviews seem okay but barely anyone played it during its year of EA. Also is it more arcade or sim in playstyle? I'd prefer my mini-golf to be with a low barrier of entry.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

tidiox posted:

If you bought Invisible Inc. in Early Access, you can download the final release build right now. They released it early as a Thank You for supporting development.

If you didn't buy Invisible Inc. in EA, you can buy it next Tuesday and should probably keep an eye on it. It's by the same studio who made Mark of the Ninja, this time tackling the stealth genre from a different angle: turn-based, tactical espionage.
Huge warning though, its a roguelike first and foremost so don't expect stealthy XCOM like I did when it was first announced and I bought it off of Mark of the Ninja hype. It was bullshit hard in the alpha and beta I lost all interest in it a long time ago. The MOTN guy left for Campo Santo so the joke was on me thinking the rest of the Klei could make something as great as MOTN again.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 01:18 on May 8, 2015

J
Jun 10, 2001

Environmental Station Alpha really impressed me. It took me a while to get used to the ultra low resolution graphics, but once I did, I really enjoyed the game. It's a very good Metroid clone. The map is just so drat packed with stuff to find, and there seems to be a considerable amount of postgame content as well. Be warned though that if you get frustrated easily or are Bad at Video Games I'd highly recommend playing it on easy mode to save yourself some frustration, as some of the bosses are quite challenging in a very old school kinda way.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
AdVenture Capitalist has its moon expansion out. Pillars 1.5 patch is also out.

Now excuse me while I go watch some numbers increase.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
You know that apogee bundle being sold? I think someone misjudged the magnitude, selling off 20-year-old games for $35 each.

Still, I guess some hipsters will buy before the price gets shanked.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Morter posted:

Is it possible to send a steam gift through hyperlinks? I have a spare copy of a game that someone sent to me via e-mail, but when I saw where you'd normally click it, the URL says "redeemer:[my email]", so I'm guessing i couldn't safely copy that link and send it to someone else? :ohdear:

Re-asking this one more time.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Sivek posted:

Is Vertiginous Golf any good? Came out of Early Access a few days ago and is in the top tier of the weekly humble bundle for less than its listing on Steam. Reviews seem okay but barely anyone played it during its year of EA. Also is it more arcade or sim in playstyle? I'd prefer my mini-golf to be with a low barrier of entry.

I was graciously gifted this in xmas 2014. It's a good, but challenging game.
If you want an easy mini-golf game this might not be the best option. If you don't mind the challenge, it might be worth checking out.
Chances are it may cheaper in the summer sale (don't quote me on this though).

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

J posted:

Environmental Station Alpha really impressed me. It took me a while to get used to the ultra low resolution graphics, but once I did, I really enjoyed the game. It's a very good Metroid clone. The map is just so drat packed with stuff to find, and there seems to be a considerable amount of postgame content as well. Be warned though that if you get frustrated easily or are Bad at Video Games I'd highly recommend playing it on easy mode to save yourself some frustration, as some of the bosses are quite challenging in a very old school kinda way.
Does it have lovely rooms filled with spikes?

I'm okay with dying to hard bosses who are hard, because it's a boss and not the entire game.

I'm pretty done with dying to spikes.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Somehow Virtual Pool still exists as a franchise and the latest one, Virtual Pool 4, is coming out soon: http://store.steampowered.com/app/336150/?snr=1_7_7_comingsoon_150_1

Spiderdrake posted:

I'm okay with dying to hard bosses who are hard, because it's a boss and not the entire game.

ESA is the closest thing to Metroid you'll ever get so rather than spikes being the most annoying thing it's hazardous water (just as in the Metroids). There's a demo, try it, it'll give you a perfect representation of the game.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Morter posted:

Re-asking this one more time.

Try putting someone else's email there and have them click on it?

J
Jun 10, 2001

Spiderdrake posted:

Nah not really. There are a few spikes here and there in some rooms but they are small segments of spikes and aren't the 1 hit kill kind. There is an optional postgame room that is the very definiton of "lovely room filled with spikes" but again, optional. I'd agree with the above in that the most dangerous hazard is probably the lava/poison pits. But there isn't really all that many of those either, and usually you can get out pretty quickly if you fall in.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Orv posted:

DLC and expansions are still different things, even if no-one makes expansions anymore aside from like, the AoW people. 10 hours and 20 hours of gameplay for $30 is a pretty good ask.

This is from a couple pages back...but no they aren't.

An expansion is a type of DLC, sure...but any Content that you can DownLoad is, in fact, DLC. I don't know why its been hyper trendy lately to vilify DLC but still ask for expansions when those are the same thing. Well, All expansions are DLC (assuming that nobody is putting out physical-release-only expansion content), but not all DLC is expansion packs.

Orv
May 4, 2011

jivjov posted:

This is from a couple pages back...but no they aren't.

An expansion is a type of DLC, sure...but any Content that you can DownLoad is, in fact, DLC. I don't know why its been hyper trendy lately to vilify DLC but still ask for expansions when those are the same thing. Well, All expansions are DLC (assuming that nobody is putting out physical-release-only expansion content), but not all DLC is expansion packs.

Alright sorry. From a non-pedantic standpoint, the amount of content in a mid to large sized DLC typically doesn't meet up to what you'd classically call an expansion, which is the amount of content people like Firaxis, Triumph and hopefully CDPR with these are delivering. I assume it's from a couple pages back because everyone was on board with that distinction.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!

Palpek posted:

Anybody tried the Controller Companion? The videos showing it work look pretty neat and the fact that it includes small things like saving which game should use the controller as a mouse and which as a gamepad is cool.

I've picked it up and it works perfectly. Previously I had Xbstart, which was kind of finnicky when used with Steam Big Picture, and only controlled the Windows 8 start screen. Controller Companion works great for navigating everything. It even intelligently turns itself off and on when games open and close so as not to mess with Steam's own controller functions. It's great. No more getting back up off the couch to deal with an unexpected error window or focus loss. It was worth the 3bux or whatever.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
If anything it's even better because now most expansion packs don't require you to own the original base game to play them anymore. See: GTA4: The Lost and the Damned/The Ballad of Gay Tony, Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon, Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare, Wolfenstein: The Old Blood.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Orv posted:

Alright sorry. From a non-pedantic standpoint, the amount of content in a mid to large sized DLC typically doesn't meet up to what you'd classically call an expansion, which is the amount of content people like Firaxis, Triumph and hopefully CDPR with these are delivering. I assume it's from a couple pages back because everyone was on board with that distinction.

There shouldn't be a distinction at all. An expansion pack is a subset type of DLC. Anyone trying to say "Hurr hurr they advertised free DLC but then are selling expansions" is just trying to start fights and be a troll. Witcher 3 will have both free and paid DLC, and from the sounds of things, the paid stuff will be larger content packs like the old game Expansion Packs.

And on a related note; and this is not directed at you, Orv, I absolutely detest people that try to villify DLC in general. There are both good and bad implementations of post-release content (and the myriad ways of selling it)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

horsmur

Orv
May 4, 2011

jivjov posted:

There shouldn't be a distinction at all. An expansion pack is a subset type of DLC. Anyone trying to say "Hurr hurr they advertised free DLC but then are selling expansions" is just trying to start fights and be a troll. Witcher 3 will have both free and paid DLC, and from the sounds of things, the paid stuff will be larger content packs like the old game Expansion Packs.

And on a related note; and this is not directed at you, Orv, I absolutely detest people that try to villify DLC in general. There are both good and bad implementations of post-release content (and the myriad ways of selling it)

I can agree with that. It's just in the case of TW3 it's weird to discuss because of the admittedly poor way they marketed the whole deal.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Sleeveless posted:

See: GTA4: The Lost and the Damned/The Ballad of Gay Tony
Each of these is 40 gigs and don't let you share assets.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Orv posted:

I can agree with that. It's just in the case of TW3 it's weird to discuss because of the admittedly poor way they marketed the whole deal.

Fair; I never saw the original marketing (gotta play 1 and 2 before even considering 3), just goon reactions here

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

Accordion Man posted:

Huge warning though, its a roguelike first and foremost so don't expect stealthy XCOM like I did when it was first announced and I bought it off of Mark of the Ninja hype. It was bullshit hard in the alpha and beta I lost all interest in it a long time ago. The MOTN guy left for Campo Santo so the joke was on me thinking the rest of the Klei could make something as great as MOTN again.

I had the exact same opinion and reason for originally buying it. The difficulty is all over and I hope it's fixed for the final release. Also got really repetitive after awhile too so hopefully that was addressed.

Orv
May 4, 2011

jivjov posted:

Fair; I never saw the original marketing (gotta play 1 and 2 before even considering 3), just goon reactions here

Around a solid month of plastering all over the internet "We're doing 16 free DLCs!" and then about a week after they stopped pushing that "Also two paid expansions!" Not scummy, which is why I think in this one instance a distinction is important, but it was definitely poorly timed.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
After messing around with forfeiting races and abandoning championships in Dirt: Rally I am pleased to report it is a roguelight because there is a barrier to save scumming and a currency system that allows you to buy mechanics that give you permanent upgrades.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Orv posted:

Around a solid month of plastering all over the internet "We're doing 16 free DLCs!" and then about a week after they stopped pushing that "Also two paid expansions!" Not scummy, which is why I think in this one instance a distinction is important, but it was definitely poorly timed.

Not as poorly timed as them freaking out about Greenman Gaming. :laugh:

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Is GoG as strict as Steam when it comes to using proxies to bypass regional pricing?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Quest For Glory II posted:

ESA is the closest thing to Metroid you'll ever get so rather than spikes being the most annoying thing it's hazardous water (just as in the Metroids). There's a demo, try it, it'll give you a perfect representation of the game.

Axiom Verge is coming soon, so keep an eye out for that if you're really In The Mood for some goddamn Metroids.

saucerman
Mar 20, 2009

Quest For Glory II posted:

ESA is the closest thing to Metroid you'll ever get

Axiom Verge begs to differ.

abardam
Mar 1, 2015

tidiox posted:

Invisible Inc. is really good. I enjoyed the base game, even without a coherent campaign, so I imagine the whole thing will be :krad:

I was kinda disappointed that the new intro cinematic wasn't the same quality as their prerelease trailer. It does an okay job of setting the stage, though. Pretty excited!

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Witcher 3 played by Conan O'Brien:

http://teamcoco.com/video/clueless-gamer-witcher-wild-hunt?playlist=x%3BeyJ0eXBlIjoiZXRhZyIsImlkIjozNjc0N30

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Red Mundus posted:

I had the exact same opinion and reason for originally buying it. The difficulty is all over and I hope it's fixed for the final release. Also got really repetitive after awhile too so hopefully that was addressed.

The difficulty has been very manageable for quite some time. If you suck and make a lot of dumb moves the game will punish you mercilessly, but you are allowed one do-over per mission that lets you take an entire turn back and that softens the edge a lot. There is also a selectable difficulty level, with easy mode feeling somewhere between XComs normal and classic levels.

There is very little RNG fuckery now compared to many earlier versions that were filled with things like hitrolls and the like. Different agents and AI load outs encourage very different approaches and strategies. You are also now told before a mission what you can expect in way of enemies so it is possible to plan ahead, or outright avoid missions that will be filled with enemies/obstacles you aren't geared up for.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
You know what I'm surprised nobody's done yet with the explosion of GW games?

X-COM-alike based on Necromunda. :getin:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Conan calls himself "clueless" but he always manages to cut to the heart of every video game he plays.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

saucerman posted:

Axiom Verge begs to differ.
ESA is EXTREMELY Metroid, trust me.

abardam
Mar 1, 2015

Underwhelmed posted:

The difficulty has been very manageable for quite some time. If you suck and make a lot of dumb moves the game will punish you mercilessly, but you are allowed one do-over per mission that lets you take an entire turn back and that softens the edge a lot. There is also a selectable difficulty level, with easy mode feeling somewhere between XComs normal and classic levels.

There's a shitton of customizable options now if you just want to have a chill game, ranging from multiple rewinds to going back and redoing the whole level (it re-generates, I think). The rewinds really come in handy when you inevitably forget to close a door, leading to you getting spotted and destroyed by a guard happening to walk past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

Kibayasu posted:

Conan calls himself "clueless" but he always manages to cut to the heart of every video game he plays.

His point about how talkative everyone is is spot on.
"Do you know which way he went?"
"Well it puts me in mind of a tale..."

• Locked thread