Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

I tried doing some chili powder peppers in the oven. Used all dried chili peppers. Opened them. Removed every (and I mean every) seed. Preheated the oven to 450. Put them in the oven. Left them in about 2 or 3 minutes.

They completely burned up, turned black and smoked up the whole room.

Please tell me what I did wrong. :(

How the hell am I supposed to remove the seeds without removing that other stuff? I was actually wondering this as I deseeded the batch I just mentioned.

450 is really hot for 2 or 3 minutes. Keep in mind that dried chilis have almost no mass to them so they will burn very quickly. I toast mine on the stove top because it's easier to smell the aroma and get them off the heat than in the oven.

As far as de-seeding, cut them in half lengthwise with a pair of scissors to splay the chili and just tapping them a bit over a bowl or under running water will remove nearly every seed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Crazyeyes posted:

450 is really hot for 2 or 3 minutes. Keep in mind that dried chilis have almost no mass to them so they will burn very quickly. I toast mine on the stove top because it's easier to smell the aroma and get them off the heat than in the oven.

As far as de-seeding, cut them in half lengthwise with a pair of scissors to splay the chili and just tapping them a bit over a bowl or under running water will remove nearly every seed.

I tried tapping mine, but only about half the seeds came out.

Are any of the seeds supposed/expected to be left in the pepper, for whatever reason?

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

I tried tapping mine, but only about half the seeds came out.

Are any of the seeds supposed/expected to be left in the pepper, for whatever reason?

Well I am of the mind a few seeds won't kill you once ground/smoothied, so perhaps I am not the best to give advice. Try shaking the crap out of them before splitting. I have had decent luck knocking a fair bit of the "stuck" seeds loose doing this, but no guarantees. Running water definitely helps, though.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Wouldn't running water wash out a lot of the flavor out, though?

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta

Wouldn't running water wash out a lot of the flavor out, though?
It will wash out some but capsaicin is not water soluble so it shouldn't do too much damage.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

What I do is take a pair of scissors and cut the top off the pepper, then run the scissors down one side of the pepper and splay the whole thing open, then smack the seeds out and carefully pick any remaining clumps of seeds. Once you open the pepper up, most of the stuff inside should move around and allow any hidden seeds to come out pretty easily. I also don't worry about a seed or two getting into the final product, just clumps of them. Also, yeah, toast your peppers in a pan. I understand not wanting to mace yourself by standing over a hot pan of peppers, but really, it takes like 1 minute to toast them in a pan like that. If you don't have a big enough pan then work in batches, but all I ever really do is turn the heat on high, toss the peppers in, give them a press with a spatula for a few seconds, then turn them over with a fork once they go dark and repeat on the other side. There's really nothing to it.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I know this is chili thread blasphemy, but I'm poor, and I don't feel bad about making a variation on a peasant dish with the cheapest available ingredients. The grocery store has a sale on pork shoulder, so I'm wanting to make a chili with pork shoulder and beans. Should I just swap out the beef to pork and add beans to my normal recipe, or is there a particular way to make pork chili come out good? I know I heard of Colorado-style green chili, but I've already got these dried red chilis here.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Pork shoulder works just fine in chili, even red chili. If you want beans, I'd go with black beans or black-eyed peas. Feel free to get some bacon in there, too. Bacon ends&pieces are cheap and work great for this job.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Where would I get ends and pieces? The deli counter?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

A lot of stores sell them in big boxes for little to nothing.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Ask your butcher, he probably has piles of them in the back.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

kaujot posted:

Anyone have a recipe that works really well as Frito Pie? Looking to out do my normal standard Frito pie chili.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

withak posted:

Ask your butcher, he probably has piles of them in the back.

Is having a dedicated butcher a bigger city thing? I don't know if we have one in my ~130,000 people town. I think we have a Carniciera, maybe I should go there and see if anyone speaks English. I last studied Spanish in the 9th grade, and I wouldn't even really call it studying.

Actually, we've got a butcher/deli that I might stop by and ask.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

Speaking of bacon ends, I accidentally came across some today at the farmers market at the pork vendor. I bought some cause I'm making chili tonight. I figured my husband could also throw some in his breakfast egg.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I know this is chili thread blasphemy, but I'm poor, and I don't feel bad about making a variation on a peasant dish with the cheapest available ingredients. The grocery store has a sale on pork shoulder, so I'm wanting to make a chili with pork shoulder and beans. Should I just swap out the beef to pork and add beans to my normal recipe, or is there a particular way to make pork chili come out good? I know I heard of Colorado-style green chili, but I've already got these dried red chilis here.

I've made this one before http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/12/carne-adovada-adobada-chili-braised-pork-recipe.html and it's pretty good.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The citrus is surprising, but it sounds like it could be good. I'll give it a shot.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Trader Joe's has them in ~1 lb packages.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

If you live near the 'hood', check a Sav A Lot store. They have a whole refrigerator section of random pig parts. "Poor people like they pork."

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Bob Morales posted:

If you live near the 'hood', check a Sav A Lot store. They have a whole refrigerator section of random pig parts. "Poor people like they pork."

Bravo supermarkets also have a bunch of random pig parts for sale though they're mainly in the south.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 17:18 on May 4, 2015

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

22 Eargesplitten posted:

The citrus is surprising, but it sounds like it could be good. I'll give it a shot.

Citrus and pork work great together, think florida/cuban style Mojo pork. The tang really helps with an otherwise rich fatty dish.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

withak posted:

Ask your butcher

I wish this existed. I live in the bay area and there's no such thing within 30 miles. only 'meat department' managers that supervise the unloading and stocking of pre-packaged meat.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

d3rt posted:

I wish this existed. I live in the bay area and there's no such thing within 30 miles. only 'meat department' managers that supervise the unloading and stocking of pre-packaged meat.

Try a farmer's market. :eng101:

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
I live in a city of 110k and have 3 butchers within 15 minutes.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
we need something like this here https://jordoschopshop.com/

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

d3rt posted:

we need something like this here https://jordoschopshop.com/

Jordo's Ketchup tastes like "American ketchup without any chemicals." So, what is it, a vacuum?

Seriously though, that's an amazing store. I'd love something like that near me. They've got great selection, and it's all very fresh.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Jordo's Ketchup tastes like "American ketchup without any chemicals." So, what is it, a vacuum?

Mostly it probably means they use a smaller amount of brown sugar instead of a larger amount of corn syrup so it isn't sweet.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

withak posted:

Mostly it probably means they use a smaller amount of brown sugar instead of a larger amount of corn syrup so it isn't sweet.

Fewer or no preservatives and so on too, I'm sure. I was just poking fun at it, since chemicals are what make up ketchup (and you, and me, and everything you eat, and so on) :v:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I tried making another batch of that same chili last night.

I omitted the masa entirely, mixed the chili powder with some chipotle powder at a ratio of 5:1, added some cayenne pepper and smoked paprika to the flour/cumin/chili powder mix before adding it to the meat, used one less can of beef broth than the recipe called for, added TWO cans of HEB Borracho beans instead of one (although I drained one of those cans before adding it), and mixed in 4 tbsp of Cholula hot sauce – 2 of the original and 2 of the chili garlic type. It was THE BOMB!!

... until I added 1 tbsp of this:

Which was tolerable heat-wise, but completely hosed up the flavor, enough so that I spent the whole rest of the night trying to dilute it.

Now, six and a half hours of simmering, 24oz of beer, one more can of beef broth, two cans of black beans, and 4 additional tbsp of Cholula hot sauce later, the heat and flavor have finally been diluted to tolerable levels, but the chili has way too much fluid consistency. And I like my chili like I like my women: Hot, crazy, and thick.

I took it off the heat like 6 hours ago, but I'm about to go put it back on until it reduces a lot more.

Wish me luck.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 22:52 on May 9, 2015

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009

d3rt posted:

Hit up Gambrel and Co. in Redwood City

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

... until I added 1 tbsp of this:
I love the idea of these additives, but like you I learned the hard way that it fucks up your natural flavor. I love hot poo poo, but not at the expense of actual flavor. I much prefer to just add more peppers.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

The worst part is that it tastes legit awesome – easily the best tasting batch of chili I've yet made – but it's so hot, and it hurts so bad for so long going through my digestive tract, that it's effectively unfit for human consumption and so I can't even eat it. Just eating tiny little bits of it gives me incurable intestinal distress for hours.

... But it tastes SOOOOOO good! :cry:

But it hurts SOOOOOO bad.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I like to add queso and cilantro to my chili to give it a "latin" kick!

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...

Nooner posted:

I like to add queso and cilantro to my chili to give it a "latin" kick!

This sounds interesting, i'll have to give it a try!

e: i'm not sure where to buy "queso" I've looked in the yellow pages but the stores that sell it are in the bad parts of town. Any advice on getting queso? Is it best to order online and have it shipped directly to my house?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
dont pay him any attention.

he's made about 10 similar posts in GWS this morning

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I know what you mean, a lot of the stores that sell good queso can get a little ... you know .... 'ethnic'

I find that the Kirkland brand Mexican 3 Cheese Blend works just as well though!

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...

Nooner posted:

I know what you mean, a lot of the stores that sell good queso can get a little ... you know .... 'ethnic'

I find that the Kirkland brand Mexican 3 Cheese Blend works just as well though!

oh i didn't realize that queso was a type of Mexican cheese, that makes sense given the locations haha.. if it's cheese then i can simply grab a block of velveeta and a packet of taco seasoning, right?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Don't forget the ground beef.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Libelous Slander posted:

oh i didn't realize that queso was a type of Mexican cheese, that makes sense given the locations haha.. if it's cheese then i can simply grab a block of velveeta and a packet of taco seasoning, right?

as our fiesta loving neighbors south of the border would say: "¡SI!"

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

What exactly does one do with 4 to 5 quarts of inedible chili?

It feels wrong to just throw it away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
feed it to the neighbors dog