Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I tried burning my evil teammate once in Avalon. She was pretty mad and it didn't even work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Madmarker posted:

I certainly know that feeling. Eh, at this point I'd be bored if my play group didn't gun for me out of the gate in some games. Its also the only thing that keeps me from winning every game of Kemet I get in my playgroup.

This is basically a past game of kemet for me:
Green player has the wrong amount of action tokens left so i figure that out for them. They don't know what the tiles do yet ("WHY is this good??") and to save us 20 minutes of them reading tiles I just point out some general strategies, they get the defensive tile I was looking at.
My turn, I'm befuddled since I didn't get to concentrate during downtime and do a thing.
Red player and Blue player take all my temples AGAIN right before the end of the round
Red player gets me a drink, but I quickly switch it with their drink while they aren't looking and they die because they were trying to poison me.
I look up at the camera, say "That's Kemet", and the laugh track plays while we roll out to credits

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

GrandpaPants posted:

Arkham Horror has a great cost:weight ratio, I agree.

Cards against Humanity costs $10.42/lb, Arkham Horror is $8.14/lb making Arkham the better deal by a fair margin. Which is funny because I assumed Cards Against Humanity would win out there, it seems pretty heavy for its price :shrug:

The expansions are even worse, Dunwhich Horror is only $13.81/lb where as the first expansion for CaH is $22.22/lb

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 18:57 on May 7, 2015

nonatomic retain
May 25, 2003
[[title alloc] init];
title.value = @"Title";
[title show:(GLKView*) view];
[title dealloc];
title = nil;

Gimnbo posted:

Cards Against Humanity: a Party Game for People Who Don't Like Parties or Games or People or Humanity

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Rutibex posted:

Cards against Humanity costs $10.42/lb, Arkham Horror is $8.14/lb making Arkham the better deal by a fair margin. Which is funny because I assumed Cards Against Humanity would win out there, it seems pretty heavy for its price :shrug:

The expansions are even worse, Dunwhich Horror is only $13.81/lb where as the first expansion for CaH is $22.22/lb

What would the cost/pound ratio be on CAH's Box of Bullshit?

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
The only way to really do it is take density into account. You have the actual weight and then the chargeable(dimensional) (calculated as l x w x h in inches and then divide by 166 (or 366 for kgs)).

Ogre is 11.93 kgs dimensional weight and 10.97 kgs actual. Not too bad actually since Caverna is 1.77 kgs dimensional and 3.53 actual, pretty dense.

This really only applies to shipping. But when you are loading your car, poo poo's important!

sonatinas fucked around with this message at 19:23 on May 7, 2015

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Rutibex posted:

Good lord why do I find this interesting to think about? For the curious, Argent's ratio is $8.70/lbs (based on CSI's $40 price) and Cthulhu Wars's ratio is $13.74/lbs (based on Amazon's $169 price). Kinda surprised CW is "only" 12.3 lbs.

Texibus
May 18, 2008

Rutibex posted:

Those cards are beer fed and massaged each night to keep the perfect marbilzation of geek culture.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

nimby posted:

In worker placement or other games where cooperation isn't facilitated by the game rules, though, it's extremely lovely to play kingmaker because someone took something you wanted.

Don't ever play Caylus or Dungeon Lords against me.

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Eight players, base game. At the start of round 5, A is handed one of those "look at the loyalty card of a player next to you" plot cards to use on B, which he does. B looks at A expectantly, A says "He's a spy." B says "Well I'm exposed then, gently caress this game," tosses his "vote no" card face-up in front of him, and walks off to get a drink.

The thing was that neither A nor B was above suspicion at that point -- the natural thing to do would be for B to counter-accuse A of being a spy, not to confess, there's nothing to be gained from confessing. And B doesn't have a reputation for losing his temper in games, ever. What he does have a reputation for is being sneaky and backstabby, often in weird counterintuitive ways (e.g. pretending to be pro-Cylon as a pro-human Cylon Leader) and with varying degrees of success. So his ragequit wasn't real, but a trick. A and B must both be spies, and B must have sacrificed himself to make A look innocent, instead of dragging them both down into the mud together with a counter-accusation.

...is what I argued. The rest of the group agreed, and excluded A from the final team, eventually putting me on the team instead. But A was innocent, I was a spy, and B's real plan was for one of us to pick up on and make that argument.

Holy poo poo, this is godlike. And I've pulled some serious bullshit in Resistance, before, although most of my nasty tricks usually boil down to instant, near-psychic Assassinations that leave the entire Blue team wondering how they gave themselves away. I'd love to play with your group, you all sound awesome.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Broken Loose posted:

Don't ever play Caylus or Dungeon Lords against me.

You'd go into a game-long vendetta against someone, at the cost of your own chances at victory, if that person took food you also needed?

Blocking people is all part of the worker placement game, but continuously loving over a single person on purpose is going to ruin the game for everyone.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

nimby posted:

You'd go into a game-long vendetta against someone, at the cost of your own chances at victory, if that person took food you also needed?

Blocking people is all part of the worker placement game, but continuously loving over a single person on purpose is going to ruin the game for everyone.

this isnt kingmaking. what the gently caress.

e: I'm almost angry about how asinine your statement is.

Dr. Lunchables fucked around with this message at 21:38 on May 7, 2015

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

nimby posted:

Meta-game spite is not the same as kingmaking.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.
Have any of you folks played Evolution yet? Just watched the Radho video (ugh) and my friend got sent a free copy so I'm looking forward to at least trying it. Would like to hear from some experiences, though.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

EvilChameleon posted:

Have any of you folks played Evolution yet? Just watched the Radho video (ugh) and my friend got sent a free copy so I'm looking forward to at least trying it. Would like to hear from some experiences, though.

Played twice. It's good enough to justify buying the expansion in my opinion. Plays six in just over an hour including teaching time and both carnivore and herbivore strategies seem balanced. First game I won with heavy herbs and buying extra species, second I was pipped by a point by a carnivore who went for huge population and defence negation.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Speaking of Radho and the like, are there any good board gaming Youtubes/Podcasts that aren't run by total spergs? I can't stand to watch another lovely Dice Tower video (Tom Vasel is the worst everything, and don't get me started on Game Boy Geek) or Radho video of him playing a bad solo version of games that depend on distinct players interacting.

The Secret Cabal podcast seems promising so far, but they have like 3-4 hour episodes, which in itself is pretty drat nuts.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Ask that one year ago and people would have recommended SUSD. I would still recommend it now to be frank.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Yeah they're alright, but they seem too focused on humour and gags as opposed to straight content.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Rodney's Watch It Played is pretty solid if you need to learn how to play a game. He talks pretty slow, though.

Uvulabob we miss you :(

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I like Joel Eddy from Drive Thru Review. He's not perfect, but he's pretty good, and he likes all types of games, from war games to heavy euros to ameritrash to card games to party games etc

His overviews actually feature editing and crap, too, so they are a decent way of getting an overview before you dive into the rulebook or are learning

Opinionated Gamers is a pretty interesting blog to check out, too. Not video reviews though. And then building up a list of GeekBuddies and using the Analyze link in the meta section of a game will give you a nice list of comments from people who you might have figured out their biases from stalking them :ninja:

edit: I wish Rodney would include the "hamster" like from Ryan Sturms How it's Played podcasts .. just a little bit of strategy and gotchas at the end of the rules introduction at the end to "get the hamster running in your head". I know that some people want to avoid any strategy before playing a game, but I think that could be headed off by a big "end of rules, here are some thoughts on how to play and gotchas". I usually fall in the camp that doesn't want the strategy, but for some games I just want to learn the games as quick as possible with the least amount of effort and I find I can retain the rules better if I read some follow on discussion about strats and stuff. For example, if I just Watch it Played on the bus and then play the game a few days later I don't retain any of that, but if I read some strategy or something after I can retain it, and sometimes that's more important than going in fresh.

Usually if I combine Watch it Played with something like DriveThruReview, Rahdo, or some chatter on the bgg forum, I can keep it in my RAM until we play

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 22:15 on May 7, 2015

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

GrandpaPants posted:

Rodney's Watch It Played is pretty solid if you need to learn how to play a game. He talks pretty slow, though.

Uvulabob we miss you :(

He hasn't made many videos, but ephfive's Scrappy Reviews are about as close to him coming back as I've seen.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
Thanks Jedit.

unpronounceable posted:

He hasn't made many videos, but ephfive's Scrappy Reviews are about as close to him coming back as I've seen.

Seconding this dude. Also Rodney's Watch it Played if that's your thing, as mentioned above. I haven't found anything else I really like.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

nimby posted:

No, I mean that I absolutely can and will deny you things even if I don't need them because they are often zero-sum games. The conversation a couple pages back went in a direction of "why would you block my sheep if you don't need them?" and I wanted to clarify that there is sometimes a need for the opponent to not have them. I guess I'm bad at reading comprehension.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Snake Oil is everything CAH wishes it was. Game is seriously fun, and requires you to think on your feet to actually win/be funny.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Durendal posted:

Snake Oil is everything CAH wishes it was. Game is seriously fun, and requires you to think on your feet to actually win/be funny.

I don't want to wiiiin, duuuuude. Can't you just play games for fun anymore? *draws the "Pac-man guzzling cum" card and smirks knowingly*

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
These guys are okay. They don't do a ton of stuff or have reviews, but they've got some very clear, no-nonsense playthroughs of Galaxy Trucker and the like, good if you're trying to get a feel for the game.

The best thing I ever pulled off in The Resistance was playing as Percival. By coincidence, one of the two special characters (Merlin/Morgana) was sitting next to me. I quietly asked her what she thought of the other one, and she said he seemed cool, so I figured she had to be Morgana. Merlin did loving nothing--he barely spoke or looked at other players. Based off of voting in the first two rounds (which were both sabotaged), I figured out two of the other spies. No-one had any idea what was going on, and we were one failure away from losing, so I just went and announced that I somehow knew the identities of three spies. This one guy, who'd been pretty quiet all game, immediately started talking about how I was obviously a spy, so he had to be number 4.

I mean, we still lost right after that, but I did pretty well with a crap Merlin. I reckon it might have worked if I'd told them I was Percival, but Morgana was a fairly clued-in player and could have worked Merlin out from my earlier question.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

So that Eminent Domain microgame has 5 new scenarios for Eminent Domain. The kickstarter for the new expansion is also starting in a couple weeks (kickstarter, grumble grumble)

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/19170599#19170599

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
I wish Scrappy Reviews updated just a little more often. Seconding Drive Thru Reviews as being one of the better ones, though he can be a bit slow sometimes.

I wish these guys did more good board game content because this is a great runthrough of Space Alert: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_ZQTtxTgMw
Resolution phase: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QT9R_6-KUPg

Love the guy who takes one turn to go from "I'm awesome" to moving to the wrong sector and achieving nothing for the rest of the game.

Bubble-T fucked around with this message at 03:17 on May 8, 2015

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,

fozzy fosbourne posted:

So that Eminent Domain microgame has 5 new scenarios for Eminent Domain. The kickstarter for the new expansion is also starting in a couple weeks (kickstarter, grumble grumble)

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/19170599#19170599

gently caress Seth Jaffee and his microcosm. Make more Eminent Domain, less 2p games.

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Throwing fellow spies under the bus to secure the win is good resistance - memorably I did this on our first ever game of base resistance except it wasn't the last mission yet and I rode it to two subsequent failed missions and the win. You don't even need plot cards/lady to make it work if you can spin a good line of convincing bullshit, if you're in a position to win then someone's been on a failed mission already and you can work from there by just dogpiling the person under the most blue suspicion. People like when you agree with them, confirm their often blindly picked prejudices and get in good and close with them to sink the knife in. gently caress I love avalon.

edit: that kinda just goes for avalon in general. being able to give logical deduction reasons for your accusations is good, but being able to make people believe based on an emotional appeal is way, way better.

Ayn Randi fucked around with this message at 03:41 on May 8, 2015

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I had a game where one of my spy buddies claimed before the first mission, so I threw him under the bus as hard as I could and argued against everything he said so the whole table trusted me.

That game did not go well for the Resistance.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff
I just keep shouting I'M MERLIN I'M THE ASSASSIN until no one can trust me

abardam
Mar 1, 2015
I've got a cool Resistance play! It was the 4th round, with 2 spy fails, and I was playing Percival. I was in the last round, which had failed, so the leader of the current team accused me of being evil and instead put in Morgana. I knew she wouldn't listen to me if I argued against that player's inclusion, so I pretended to be really pleased (I even did a little bad-guy chuckle, I think). Leader looked at me strangely, reconsidered, and put a good guy on the team.

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

Cool avalon play: Periodically kick the player to your left and enunciate words when you talk such as PASS and EVIL. Good guys will think you're merlin, bad guys will think you're merlin, and merlin will think you're merlin. its foolproof

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Opened up Dominant Species, popped all the cardboard and such out, and set up an imaginary two player game to make sure I understood how the rules worked. It's exciting - lots of bits.

The actions themselves are all fairly straightforward. I think the biggest hurdle is just going to be working out strategy and how the actions all interact with each other to make meaningful decisions. Anyone have some basic advice in getting to grips with the game and in teaching it to other people?

Edit: VVV that's a concise, useful way of explaining individual approaches for the different animals. Much appreciated!

The Narrator fucked around with this message at 12:43 on May 8, 2015

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The Narrator posted:

Opened up Dominant Species, popped all the cardboard and such out, and set up an imaginary two player game to make sure I understood how the rules worked. It's exciting - lots of bits.

The actions themselves are all fairly straightforward. I think the biggest hurdle is just going to be working out strategy and how the actions all interact with each other to make meaningful decisions. Anyone have some basic advice in getting to grips with the game and in teaching it to other people?

It depends which species you are. Most points in the game come through the Dominance action, which means you need control of territory. Insects get it by swarming many areas and hoping to claim at least second place in most of them. Arachnids get it by killing anyone who could take their dominance away. Amphibians get it by concentrating small populations in water areas. Birds get it by moving to where other people aren't. Reptiles get it by manipulating Regression so other species lose elements they need to compete. And Mammals get it by controlling the elements on the board so only they can survive.

The other methods of scoring are Glaciation and Wanderlust, both of which earn more points the more adjacent hexes there are. Insects, Amphibians and Birds prefer Wanderlust, Arachnids, Reptiles and Mammals prefer Glaciation.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

That's a pretty drat pro post about how to win Dominant Species.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
In more T-Bone plays old games for the first time posts I played my first game of Le Havre yesterday with 4 players. It seems a little long for what it is, and I got the feeling it would be better at 3 players. I did OK, finishing 2nd, but my strategy was kind of all over the place (I amassed a lot of the tier 1 resources early and bought a bunch of crappy (but VP yielding) early turn buildings -- then started taking some loans late to concentrate on steel for some ships). One player who had played many times took a ton of loans and I thought he was going to win when he converted a crap ton of coke/steel but he was like two or three turns short of being able to do anything with it effectively (while still getting rid of his loans).

I liked it well enough -- it felt very sandboxy and also was pretty easy to learn mechanically.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
Le Havre's best at 3, yeah. Sounds like you picked it up well enough, nothing wrong with building early buildings just for the money value.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Jedit posted:

It depends which species you are. Most points in the game come through the Dominance action, which means you need control of territory. Insects get it by swarming many areas and hoping to claim at least second place in most of them. Arachnids get it by killing anyone who could take their dominance away. Amphibians get it by concentrating small populations in water areas. Birds get it by moving to where other people aren't. Reptiles get it by manipulating Regression so other species lose elements they need to compete. And Mammals get it by controlling the elements on the board so only they can survive.

The other methods of scoring are Glaciation and Wanderlust, both of which earn more points the more adjacent hexes there are. Insects, Amphibians and Birds prefer Wanderlust, Arachnids, Reptiles and Mammals prefer Glaciation.

Pro end game move with birds is move them all to glaciers on last turn to for max bonus points. You have to glaciate a lot though to make it happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Bubble-T posted:

Le Havre's best at 3, yeah. Sounds like you picked it up well enough, nothing wrong with building early buildings just for the money value.

I think I was worried a little too much about food + I should have turned my cows into steaks earlier (I was harvesting for a long time but was mostly selling my bread for gold and my cows just kinda stat there for a while) which would have saved me some cash to use another players steelmill which might have got me another luxury ship. I also had a bunch of those buildings with the fishery icon but I only actually used the fishery once or twice so despite the VPs I got I think I should have paid more attention to the icon bonuses.

It definitely gets a little overwhelming at times but it's fun. I look forward to trying with 3.