Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
You assholes, I'm going to end up buying the CromB and the Rudy. That 4 tank package is a good deal, but neither the ISU-122S or IS-2 look all that great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
The 122S is a worse 122-44, while the IS-2 is probably a slightly better IS.

The IS is good though.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
T-14 Armata

30 years ago, engineers from Nizhniy Tagil created a foundation for a new tank with Object 187 and Object 187A. The innovative but unfortunate Object 195 was then built in metal. What was the fruit of the labours of Ural engineers?

On the way to a breakthrough

Successful decisions in the 1960s allowed Soviet engineers to achieve a tank with a very tight layout. The tanks were compact, not very heavy, and had excellent protection. On the other hand, if the enemy shell did punch through the armour, it was nearly guaranteed that it would destroy components or kill the crew. The ammunition rack in the fighting compartment was especially worrying.

In the end of the 1980s, all major Soviet tank factories were working on new tanks. Engineers aimed to boost the firepower (including by means of increasing the gun caliber), increase protection, and automate the vehicles. Additionally, a new layout was necessary, as the classic layout was no longer sufficient for survivability on the battlefield.

Soviet engineers had a difficult task. They needed to develop an innovative solution to protect the crew and fighting compartment, separating them from the ammunition rack. Kharkov, Nizhniy Tagil, and Leningrad were working on this task. The Nizhniy Tagil project from Uralvagonzavod, Object 187A, was never built in metal, but was the basis of the experimental "Perfection-88" program. In 2000, the Object 195 vehicle was created based on that research, a predecessor for the T-14 tank built on the heavy universal tracked Armata platform.

What is the logic in creating a unified platform? Production of spare parts is simplified. It is easier to repair the tanks, easier to train the personnel. A unified platform allows for larger production runs, which reduces unit cost. Vehicles on the same chassis have more or less the same speed, which is important when marching. For instance, a bridgelayer should not lag behind MBTs, as it needs to arrive on the battlefield at the same time.

Armata's older brother

Object 195 built by Uralvagonzavod included two important novelties: an unmanned fighting compartment and an armoured capsule for the crew. However, the new was just the somewhat forgotten old, as there were attempts in the 1950s to separate the crew and armament into different modules, but only in a prototype. Similar work was conducted in the 1980s.

Object 195's capsule increased armour from all sides: sides, roof, front. The tankers were also separated by armour from the fighting compartment. The design was such that when the ammunition detonated, the blast wave would go everywhere but in the direction of the crew. This did not guarantee survival, but it increased the odds by orders of magnitude.

The unmanned fighting compartment was completely automatic. It contained the ammunition and loading mechanism. The turret served only as a weapons mount. At the same time, it acted as added protection against ammunition that penetrated the roof. It is much harder to penetrate such an obstacle than a single armour plate. The crew entered the turret only during an emergency, such as a breakdown in the loading mechanism.

The main armament of the Object 195 was the 152 mm smoothbore 2A83 gun, which provided many options when destroying targets with APFSDS shells or ATGMs.

Object 195 passed state trials in the late 2000s but never made it into production. There were several causes for this. The 152 mm gun was too powerful, there was no worthy adversary for its ammunition, and none were visible in the near future. The ammunition capacity was also very small, only 24 rounds. This is acceptable when fighting only enemy tanks, but the modern MBT has to solve a wide array of problems, and it is very possible that frequent restocking of ammunition will be difficult or impossible. There were also complaints about the armour: if the front was adequately protected, the roof and sides did not meet new increased requirements. Factories were also not ready for this new tank.

Soon after work on Object 195 was complete, Object 148 arose, also called T-14. This is the tank that today is called Armata. The T-14 includes all the best parts of Object 195, but on a qualitatively new technological level.

A portrait of the T-14

The Armata inherited the armoured crew capsule, unmanned fighting compartment, and rear engine compartment from Object 195. The tank has a modular design that makes repairs and modernization easy. Most components can be easily replaced. If necessary, the mass can be increased. It is a veritable 50-65 ton "Lego tank" (this is the alleged weight limit of the chassis).

The powerful front armour is comparable with the crew compartment capsule. The upper and lower front plates are protected by a new generation of reactive armour, in addition to composite armour. It is designed to destroy or destabilize incoming ammunition that threaten the main armour. Additional reactive armour also protects the sides. All armour components of the T-14 are easy to replace.

Why is the crew capsule in the front, right against the front armour? The tank's designers estimate that no modern tank gun or those that are likely to be developed in the near future can penetrate the front armour of the tank. The crew is most protected when it is closest to this shield. The only way the tank can be penetrated in the sides is if it is fired upon at a nearly 90 degree angle, and even then, the capsule is still protected by many layers of armour and reactive armour.

The T-14's turret is a mount for sights, various equipment, and of course the 152 mm 2A82 high power gun. The gun is designed to have high precision even without the high-tech fire control system. The gun has two variants: with a bore evacuator and without. The latter is installed in the Armata. As there is no crew in the fighting compartment, the gases that escape into it do not matter.

The engine is an X-shaped 12-cylinder diesel with 1200-1500 hp that can run for 10,000 hours at maximum power. This is high enough as it is, but can be even higher in economy mode. Even this mode retains good mobility. In order to make repairs easier, the engine and transmission exist as a single module, which can be replaced in under an hour.

The suspension has 7 road wheels like Object 195. Designers considered it optimal. Compared to its predecessor, the T-14 did not gain weight or increase in size, even though it is still heavier than a T-90A or T-80U.

In order to increase mobility, the T-14 is equipped with an adaptive controlled suspension that can be configured depending on the terrain, speed, and combat mission. The stiffness, travel, etc. are all configurable. The average and maximum speed of movement are increased, as is the precision when shooting on the move (although it is a secondary factor, as this is the job for the fire control system and gun stabilizer).

Every modern tank is filled with high-tech gadgets, and the T-14 is no exception. The tankers are now operators. They receive information from several channels of the fire control system, screens show maps and various information. The systems are controlled with buttons, joysticks, and touchscreens. The driver drives the tank with a steering wheel instead of levers, as it is more comfortable.

Unofficial sources claim that the T-14 will be equipped with a radar with a phase array that can track up to 100 targets at long ranges. The T-14 does have a phase array, but it is a part of the new Afghanit protection unit, which is designed to intercept enemy ammunition with special offensive elements. The new system protects not only from RPGs, but from roof penetrators and all types of shells: HEAT, HE, and subcaliber AP.

Each vehicle is a collection of compromises. Not all innovations designed by engineers made it in. For instance, the additional radar channel had to be excluded from the fire control system, but matrices for heat sensors designed for the new tank, completely made in Russia, are already entering trial production.

The road ahead

The T-14 is one of many vehicles that will be built on the Armata platform. Bridgelayers, flamethrower vehicles, minelayers and minesweepers, engineering vehicles, etc are all planned.

Today, three types of vehicles exist on the Armata chassis: heavy BMP-15 (an APC), BREM (armoured repair and evacuation vehicle), and the T-14 itself. A trial batch of each vehicle was built and will be shown at the May 9th parade in Moscow. After that, the vehicles will go to be improved, trialled by the army, and state trials.

The road of the T-14 to a production model is far from over. It is a potential path, as any "child" is victim to growing pains. It will be modified and improved before it can earn the name of a Main Battle Tank. The T-14 has great potential for modernization. Armament can be improved, the electronic "filler" can be upgraded, the armour can be increased. The tank's designers estimate that the lifespan of the tank is about 50 years.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

maev posted:

I can't see them not nerfing the Cromwell B so get in while you can.

I'm pretty sure there is a no nerfing premiums policy. At worst they will never sell it again.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

CitizenKain posted:

You assholes, I'm going to end up buying the CromB and the Rudy. That 4 tank package is a good deal, but neither the ISU-122S or IS-2 look all that great.

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

The 122S is a worse 122-44, while the IS-2 is probably a slightly better IS.

The IS is good though.

They're literally the IS-2 and SU-152 with 122mm. They're good tanks, and they make premium credits.

The Rudy and Cromwell B are fantastic, and I love them. The IS-2 and ISU-122S are good, and I'm not unhappy that I bought them, since I put literally zero value on gold due to tournaments and I guess clan wars. I'm absolutely happy to trade the 8600 gold and $3 that I'd have gotten for buying just the two tier 6s for two good tier 7s that make premium credits, two sets of crews, and a month of premium.

Also they're insanely useful for tournaments. Sometimes they limit the number of a particular tank model you can bring, and being able to bring two Cromwells or two IS-2s or two 34-85s when the opposition can only bring one without being DQed is actually just Pay-2-Win and I love it. Also by sheer coincidence the next week's skirmish is 6v6 tier 6s on Siegfried Line Encounter, where only mediums and heavies up to tier 6 are allowed and only two of each tank model. Being able to bring four Cromwells if some members of the team pay Wargaming money surely is not a coincidence.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
What do you do with the Cromwell and other flanky tanks on dota-lane maps? I have no idea what to do with them when the best flanking angle I can get on anything is ten degrees to either side.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

frood posted:

Did they go back on their utter refusal to nerf premiums (other than the S Persh) at some point? I mean honestly if the E25 is okay then this is fine.

I thought it was some EU regulation?

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Magres posted:

What do you do with the Cromwell and other flanky tanks on dota-lane maps? I have no idea what to do with them when the best flanking angle I can get on anything is ten degrees to either side.

Use your team as meat shields.

slowm
Sep 5, 2013

live slow, die whenevs
Sometimes things happen.

srb
Jul 24, 2007

Mesadoram posted:

Because that makes too much sense.

Pretty much. They don't list gun elevation and gun depression, they don't list terrain passability, they don't list bloom on track or turret rotation or camouflage values, despite people having asked for these to be listed in the garage since the beta test.

Rudy and Cromwell are tempting, you guys that have bought them should upload some replays.

Jack_tripper
Jun 7, 2009

srb posted:

Pretty much. They don't list gun elevation and gun depression, they don't list terrain passability, they don't list bloom on track or turret rotation or camouflage values, despite people having asked for these to be listed in the garage since the beta test.

Rudy and Cromwell are tempting, you guys that have bought them should upload some replays.

I'm sure you already have plenty of premiums for credit grinding so there's no reason to buy the rudy at all; it's identical to the regular 34-85 except for the dog barking and that will be in the mod packs shortly

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Jack_tripper posted:

I'm sure you already have plenty of premiums for credit grinding so there's no reason to buy the rudy at all; it's identical to the regular 34-85 except for the dog barking and that will be in the mod packs shortly

Credit modifier, no radio operator (meaning you can drop a T10 medium crew into it without having to keep a radioman taking up a barracks space), plus it's easily the most forgiving Russian MT crew trainer. Not everyone got an Obj 907 or wants to grind crew xp at T10 (or T4 in the Matilda LL). I really wish I'd held off on buying the T-34-85M, and if anything, I really think they should give it the same gun upgrade the Rudy got, since the price is comparable and you *know* they're going to sell it again *eventually*.

Also, for the person who asked me what I was going on about in regards to 'xp for gold,' here's what I mean:

I have zero native xp on the ISU-152 (blew it and converted to get the BL-10 straight off). As you can see, I have 62,033 'free xp' that I converted during the ultra-rare sale/promo they had a few months back. Now, if I understood you correctly, what you're saying is that by using gold I'm able to use 'banked' xp on tanks that I haven't elited yet towards unlocking the Obj. 704. But the way *I* read that box is that since I'm sitting on a stagnant 15.8k+ in gold, that the client will simply allow me to unlock the 704 by spending gold at a 1:25 ratio as if summoning xp from mid air through alchemy.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 08:09 on May 8, 2015

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

slowm posted:

Sometimes things happen.

This is entirely unsurprising and it's exactly what OTTER deserves for keeping Tioga around. The one person with a personality more unlikable than Hellsau while also being bad at the game? Seems like a good choice to keep in the clan.

Also 500k in the clan treasury? Did they try and make some lazy Australian do the gold payouts?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Keeping that much gold in the treasury is always a loving bad idea. It's why we did tank subsidies and the like in SGLE (and were *reasonably* careful in who got access to the gold pile).

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 08:09 on May 8, 2015

Jack_tripper
Jun 7, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Credit modifier, no radio operator (meaning you can drop a T10 medium crew into it without having to keep a radioman taking up a barracks space), plus it's easily the most forgiving Russian MT crew trainer. Not everyone got an Obj 907 or wants to grind crew xp at T10 (or T4 in the Matilda LL). I really wish I'd held off on buying the T-34-85M, and if anything, I really think they should give it the same gun upgrade the Rudy got, since the price is comparable and you *know* they're going to sell it again *eventually*.

Also, for the person who asked me what I was going on about in regards to 'gold for xp,' here's what I mean:

yeah the credits + crew layout just doesn't make it worth $30 and I wish I'd looked into it more before buying it

also the window is just doing the conversion for you; you have to have that xp available on a prem or elite tank for it to work

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Ah...I've got 129,741xp on the T-54, which I elited before the 140 came along. Never mind. -_-

Still - wouldn't shock me in the slightest if they don't eventually allow you to summon xp out of thin air with gold, though.

srb
Jul 24, 2007
They did add credit packages in the store, maybe they'll add free XP packages eventually.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Keeping that much gold in the treasury is always a loving bad idea. It's why we did tank subsidies and the like in SGLE (and were *reasonably* careful in who got access to the gold pile).

This is why I have tight control over our massive treasury.

No stealsies, guys! :3:

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Guys I figured out how to make the Maus awesome.

Give it a RoF buff to the point of absurdity and make it a Tier 10 version of the Church3 :getin:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Magres posted:

Guys I figured out how to make the Maus awesome.

Give it a RoF buff to the point of absurdity and make it a Tier 10 version of the Church3 :getin:

Put the short 88 on it with a 1.5 second reload.

KonigRasnake
Mar 20, 2014

Simply trying to enjoy some lemonade and magic-head.
I would get the Maus so fast if that was the case. APCR push tank these fuckers. Also, as much as I dislike OTTER (beating them with 11 E3s was a pleasure) they didn't really deserve that.

srb
Jul 24, 2007

Hellsau posted:

Put the short 88 on it with a 1.5 second reload.

"Just flank with it."

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Jesus the CromB prints crew XP. Money a little less than the tier 8 premiums, but still in good quantities, but it's not even remotely hard to get ~2k crew XP per game. Having a Cromwell for a britcrew trainer is one of the better decisions I've made in a while

E: On the other hand I just started the Comet and I have made a huge mistake, because this thing is awful. Jesus this gun does nothing

Magres fucked around with this message at 10:48 on May 8, 2015

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Magres posted:

E: On the other hand I just started the Comet and I have made a huge mistake, because this thing is awful. Jesus this gun does nothing

"No the Comet's a really balanced T7."

"No it isn't - it was good when it first came out but it's just been horribly outclassed since then. ~Power Creep~"

"It's always been poo poo and anyone who thinks otherwise is [insert insulting quality here]."

"I really like it, if you don't you're a bad full stop."

*massive amount of bickering between the two camps merely trying to troll the other while not realizing no one really gives a gently caress, they're just trying to make someone mad/find the one person who isn't trolling*

"T7 is a lovely oil slick tier anyway unless you're driving the E-25, T29, or Tiger I."

"Guys let's just agree it's an 'okay' tank."

"But it's not an 'okay' tank, it's a good/great/fantastic -or- average/mediocre/terrible tank and here's a giant list of reasons why:" (about 5-7 of these, plus rebuttals)

"Guys let's just agree it's a *playable* tank before we burn three more pages on this loving topic seriously gently caress you Magres for opening this can of worms again."

There. I just summarized the next 2-3 pages of the thread.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 11:14 on May 8, 2015

KurdtLives
Dec 22, 2004

Ladies and She-Hulks can't resist Murdock's Big Hallway Energy

RanKizama posted:

It's nice to see these special vehicles in game, but where the hell is my special edition Lulubelle? :(
:smith: As much as I love that movie there is not much of a market for a premium Lee.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

KurdtLives posted:

:smith: As much as I love that movie there is not much of a market for a premium Lee.

Except under these conditions, the loving thing would spin in place as fast as an original Hummel did.

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

We had that much in the treasury because we literally just got our 1.5 gold multipler from April (winning the clan invitational) and I am on vacation and havent done payouts.

lovely situation.

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

slowm posted:

Sometimes things happen.

lmfao

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

the mission rewards for this weekend are optics, a toolkit and a Tetrach at the end

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Teron D Amun posted:

the mission rewards for this weekend are optics, a toolkit and a Tetrach at the end
50K experience over a weekend for a Tetrach? Easy mode, especially since you only need a Tier IV+ tank.

Viperidae
Feb 7, 2007
Arf!
First game in the Crom B.

i think i like this tank.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

RanKizama posted:

50K experience over a weekend for a Tetrach? Easy mode, especially since you only need a Tier IV+ tank.

Don't forget its a 5x weekend too so decent wins and you could be done in 15 games or so.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Man, why did the 5x weekend have to be the weekend of Mother's Day? My mother in law is going to be staying with us and it is unlikely I'll have time to make much of it.

Guess I'll just have to play at 3am Saturday Sunday like all the other middle aged dads/husbands out there...

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

If only they could be more considerate and move the Victory Day to some other date.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

It's 5x weekend?

I'm staying the gently caress away from tanks. I got my 100Y, so no reason to put up with the usual 5x crowd. I have won 2 out of 20 games this morning - they were all over in 3 minutes.

gently caress. gently caress.

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend
I don't even play tanks that often, but I bought the package deal yesterday. I just love tiers 5-8, and I like medium tanks specifically. So, when I heard at least 3 of 4 tanks were good (and one potentially great), it was a done deal.

Honestly, all four tanks are good. It could be the novelty of playing a tier7 TD (since my only other TD at the moment is an M8A1), but I feel like the 122S is pretty decent and survivable. I've had some good luck thus far shutting down some lanes on a few maps, at least. I'm not dominating by any means, but I'm out of practice and terrible at tanks for the most part anyway.

IS-2 is good. Haven't played but a couple games, but I'm trying to level up the crew on my IS-8. So, it will help in that regard.

Rudy is good to very good and gives me a foot in the door to Russian mediums, which I started and stopped a while back.

The Cromwell B is just fantastic. You can accelerate and turn like a light tank, but with a good pool of HP and a nice gun.

Now I could potentially play Churchill III, Rudy, Cromwell B, ISU-122S, IS-2 and Type 59 (without a premium account) and be happy just with that.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of buffs.

They should make the E100-Flakpanzer. instead of the 150mm, dual 128mms from the E75 and halve the reload.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

slowm posted:

Sometimes things happen.

Hellsau posted:

This is entirely unsurprising and it's exactly what OTTER deserves for keeping Tioga around. The one person with a personality more unlikable than Hellsau while also being bad at the game? Seems like a good choice to keep in the clan.

Also 500k in the clan treasury? Did they try and make some lazy Australian do the gold payouts?

Always knew there was something odd about him. They kept that much gold in there because: "We need a warchest."
People were asking about it for a few days, after BULBA spanked us 5-0, Piece of poo poo One and Piece of poo poo Two decided to take the gold and book it.
I am probably one of the few, but I really don't care about the gold. Finally got into a "stable" clan and this poo poo happens is what makes me upset.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
Come back because free premium days and I go on a losing streak. Good times WoT, good times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Agrajag posted:

Come back because free premium days and I go on a losing streak. Good times WoT, good times.

I lost 4 and drew 1 before my first win in the CDC yesterday. It is not just you.