Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Great, now Norman Osborne sounds like H. Jon Benjamin in my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
When Norman Osborne of all people is calling you out on having hosed up hair/hair analogues...

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Ensign_Ricky posted:

I can actually see Clark Gregg saying that, so kudos to the writer.

And I call bullshit on Fury never thinking that.

bobkatt013 posted:

He is currently in his Captain America title.

And is a vampire. Seriously.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Rhyno posted:

In this thread: We explain the most obvious and basic jokes ever.

If you thought that one was funny, wait until you hear why his new AI buddy is named FRIDAY.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

Does he not have a pile of Life Model Decoys anymore? Or whatever the term was.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TheJoker138 posted:

If you thought that one was funny, wait until you hear why his new AI buddy is named FRIDAY.

Because Gwyneth Paltrow wanted too much money for a V/O part?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

LordHippoman posted:

Best without context, I think, and since this is literally the first comic series I've ever read (Thanks, Marvel Unlimited promo codes), I didn't understand at all. Probably why I thought it was funny.

Avengers (2010) Issue #20

There's a perfectly good explanation and its called read Secret Warriors.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

muscles like this? posted:

There's a perfectly good explanation and its called read Secret Warriors.

Secret Warriors was good, but I don't know if I'd say the explanation for THAT change is... good, exactly. Even an all-star strikes out occasionally.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

khy posted:

Why would falling be somehow detrimental to spiderman? Can't he just web a building and turn a fall into a swing? Or make himself a web net? Did he somehow lose his web powers in that issue?

If he's falling from well above skyscraper level (as appears to be the case here), then by the time he's fallen far enough to actually web onto something he'll be going so fast that the sudden stop could pull his arm from its socket. Or so I've heard.

Or course that doesn't answer the question of why FalCap catching him by the ankle doesn't have a similar effect.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ensign_Ricky posted:

I can actually see Clark Gregg saying that, so kudos to the writer.

It's also a bit of a reference to this classic Simpsons moment when 3D Homer asks people if they've ever seen the movie Tron:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jqfwvIACj8

zoux
Apr 28, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

LordHippoman posted:

Best without context, I think, and since this is literally the first comic series I've ever read (Thanks, Marvel Unlimited promo codes), I didn't understand at all. Probably why I thought it was funny.

Why'd you pick this as your first ever series?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Gaz-L posted:

Same with Iron Man :thejoke:

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Malachite_Dragon posted:

When Norman Osborne of all people is calling you out on having hosed up hair/hair analogues...

Hey, don't you talk poo poo about oz@amazinghair.net.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Why'd you pick this as your first ever series?

Poor guy wanted to get in to comics and he's on Unlimited so he can't get really new stuff, and that was the era right after Dark Reign when everything was a (relatively) easy jumping in point. It makes sense if you're trying to get into Avengers. It's just unfortunate that that run of Avengers is just godawful.

Anyway, Inhuman Special #1:

JEEEAAAN

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

He's even got the 90s bomber jacket. That's awesome.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I want that Captain America as a full sized art piece to hang on my wall.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

TheJoker138 posted:

You mean his petty secretary AI from the comics?

I was more disappointed that he rejected the AI clearly labelled JOCASTA.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Chaos Hippy posted:

Or course that doesn't answer the question of why FalCap catching him by the ankle doesn't have a similar effect.

Tactile telekinesis.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Strong Female Protagonist p 112. :v:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Young Justice?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Wonder Twin powers include eating CDs

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

AnonSpore posted:

Wonder Twin powers include eating CDs

They can turn into my last car's stereo system?

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Say Nothing posted:

Young Justice?

Yup, issue 50, where they take every teen superhero and invade a whole country of supervillains.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Ensign_Ricky posted:

You mean his petty secretary AI from the comics?

I was more disappointed that he rejected the AI clearly labelled JOCASTA.

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.

Gaz-L posted:

Isn't that Nick Fury Jr.?

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Yeah, I also got that reference.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

smashpro1 posted:

Shhhhh. There's never been another Nick Fury. It's always been Sam Jackson.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Waterhaul posted:

Shhhhh. There's never been another Nick Fury. It's always been Sam Jackson David Hasselhoff.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

smashpro1 posted:

Not necessarily. The gimmick for this month's Squirrel Girl is SG's roomie is trapped in the Statue of Liberty with a bunch of random civilians while SG and the Avengers fight laser-dinosaurs, and Nancy (the roommate) is trying to hype her fellow trapped normals for her best pal rescuing them. Except they all have completely weird ideas of what Squirrel Girl's like, so we get a bunch of short stories about what they've heard/seen/made up.

That one is a kid's interpretation of SG as a super-intelligent heroine from the future who protects the timestream... and also commands squirrels because aliens gave her powers.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

That one is a kid's interpretation of SG as a super-intelligent heroine from the future who protects the timestream... and also commands squirrels because aliens gave her powers.

So what you're saying is that he's got SG figured out.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
There's also the one guy who gets her mixed up with Spider-Man and retells the Clone Saga with Squirrel Girl and The American Red Squirrel.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 00:09 on May 9, 2015

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Chaos Hippy posted:

If he's falling from well above skyscraper level (as appears to be the case here), then by the time he's fallen far enough to actually web onto something he'll be going so fast that the sudden stop could pull his arm from its socket. Or so I've heard.

Ever since Gwen Stacey, Spidey wears a neck brace for exactly that reason.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Gaz-L posted:

There's also the one guy who gets her mixed up with Spider-Man and retells the Clone Saga with Squirrel Girl and The American Red Squirrel.

To be fair, their theme songs are extremely similar.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Spider-Man would have died for the sake of being able to make the joke, or just hit the ground and gone ow since he can get hit by the Hulk and not turn to paste.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It would hurt though, and being Captain America means not letting your 'buddies' get unnecessarily hurt.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

goatface posted:

It would hurt though, and being Captain America means not letting your 'buddies' get unnecessarily hurt.

Awww, Bucky.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

kizudarake posted:

Awww, Bucky.

Awww Roscoe

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Cheshire Puss posted:

More recently immersion was shattered when Tony beat the Hulk in a fistfight somehow.

To be fair, it was a glorified sucker punch. It's not the punches you see coming that knock you out, it's the ones that you don't, goes basic fistfighting rules.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Yvonmukluk posted:

To be fair, their theme songs are extremely similar.

Squirrel Girl, I don't deserve you

I don't get the references you refer to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LateToTheParty
Oct 13, 2012

The bane of my existence.

LordHippoman posted:

I never did buy the concept that Norman Osborn somehow becoming in charge of the upper echelons of government but I thought the premise was hilarious because he was so cartoonishly evil and the fact that everyone he interacted with basically knew he was lunatic who could kill them all.