Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

go3 posted:

We pin Word and Excel to the Start Menu, and pin Outlook to the taskbar. If you can't figure it out after that, tough loving poo poo. I'll be sure to let your boss know that you are incapable of fulfilling the requirements of your job position.

If it's not on the desktop, it doesn't exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Demonachizer posted:

Or leverage Group Policy for configuration management and eliminate the issue completely? It is entirely possible that everyone in his environment are admins also.

Everyone is an admin, GPO is not to be touched by my filthy mortal hands.

J
Jun 10, 2001

kensei posted:

I was working with dial up today. On a Windows 2000 Professional machine. Whee.

So is there business critical software on this computer that failed? :allears:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

larchesdanrew posted:

I've done that and it seems to be deleting itself from the All Users folder? I'm just resigned to the fact that gently caress this gently caress that nothing will ever work here have some more bandaids

Since every user is an administrator they can all delete that. What's happening is that some special snowflake decides that they want to move the icon into a different folder or something and then it's gone for everyone else.

I'd recommend using the Default desktop so that it puts an icon on each person's desktop when they log in the first time, then add one to each existing profile's desktop.
Powershell might be necessary if you have a lot of profiles on each computer.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

J posted:

So is there business critical software on this computer that failed? :allears:

No, unless you count the ability to test dial up connections. We have a decent sized base of dial up users, and we were going to move our Radius server. However, the test credentials I have do not work.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

e: another username and password worked just fine :toot:

kensei fucked around with this message at 19:07 on May 7, 2015

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Trastion posted:

Put the shortcuts in the Desktop folder of the ALL USERS directory. You might have to login as Administrator to do this. Then they cannot delete them, at least not permanently.

Tying in with this - this may only work some of the time. I've had Windows 7/8 machines where I've had to enable hidden folders and put the shortcuts in the C:\Users\Public\Public Desktop instead of the All Users folder. Doing that makes the shortcuts show up for everyone that logs into the machine, regardless of whether or not they've used it before.

Also tying in with techs that sometimes don't know what they're doing - I had a coworker whose explorer crashed while working on a new PC, they couldn't figure out how to fix it without rebooting. I pull up task manager and go to File > New > explorer.exe > OK, and bam, everything's back up. Common sense to me, and I've never seen someone so :aaa: in my life with something so simple.

BOOTY-ADE fucked around with this message at 19:02 on May 7, 2015

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

larchesdanrew posted:

That's not a bad plan if you actively root for things to be as broken constantly as possible.

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

Something for me to try and puzzle out tomorrow! Attempting to log into vcenter via the web interface gives an error that google tells me is related to SSO and I should remove that and try again. However, I don't have any details for a local account in vcenter, just AD auth. However, there's an open console session with "administrator" on the server but you can't administrate SSO in the console window. You have to do that via the web.

Asking around the answer is, "Oh we just use the console, web interface doesn't work." Great, and what happens if someone closes it or the server reboots? You're hosed because no one knows the account details. loving love the "password store" here. A lotus notes DB that has about half of whats needed in it and a bunch of random PDFs on a network share. Not in either of those? Oh, it could be in sharepoint, or maybe on our intranet. If not that, try this guy who left two year's ago mail file, he probably kept it filed away there.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I'd recommend using the Default desktop so that it puts an icon on each person's desktop when they log in the first time, then add one to each existing profile's desktop.
Powershell might be necessary if you have a lot of profiles on each computer.

I have a startup script that repopulates the desktop with all those wonderful shortcuts people just can't live without.

E: I missed this:

larchesdanrew posted:

Set a startup or login script in the local computer policy, and have it copy a bunch of .lnk files to the desktop from some file share. They can remove it if then really want, but if they're messing around in gpedit.msc they're a lost case any way.

Crowley fucked around with this message at 20:53 on May 7, 2015

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

LordVorbis posted:

Something for me to try and puzzle out tomorrow! Attempting to log into vcenter via the web interface gives an error that google tells me is related to SSO and I should remove that and try again. However, I don't have any details for a local account in vcenter, just AD auth. However, there's an open console session with "administrator" on the server but you can't administrate SSO in the console window. You have to do that via the web.

Asking around the answer is, "Oh we just use the console, web interface doesn't work." Great, and what happens if someone closes it or the server reboots? You're hosed because no one knows the account details. loving love the "password store" here. A lotus notes DB that has about half of whats needed in it and a bunch of random PDFs on a network share. Not in either of those? Oh, it could be in sharepoint, or maybe on our intranet. If not that, try this guy who left two year's ago mail file, he probably kept it filed away there.

Then the solution is simple: burn it down and start from scratch.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
I have a bit of a problem with a ticket. I've got to make an SCCM image for non-domain machines. It seems simple enough to just make them join a workgroup in the Task Sequence, but when I set that the SMSTS.log blows up with errors.

How the hell do I do that? Add the client to the domain as usual, and then Apply Network Settings again at the end of the TS and have it join a workgroup maybe?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Crowley posted:

I have a bit of a problem with a ticket. I've got to make an SCCM image for non-domain machines. It seems simple enough to just make them join a workgroup in the Task Sequence, but when I set that the SMSTS.log blows up with errors.

How the hell do I do that? Add the client to the domain as usual, and then Apply Network Settings again at the end of the TS and have it join a workgroup maybe?

This is what I have and it works for me:

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

GreenNight posted:

This is what I have and it works for me:

That's the obvious way to do it, but that seems to add all sorts of problems longer down the Task Sequence. Would you mind posting a screenshot of how your TS it set up?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
Looks almost exactly like mine. :sigh:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

In my first screen shot, I do have domain admin account settings under Account.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
What has to be done to make a one click install using a msi+mst? Or is that the wrong way to do it? Clarification : I tried with orca but it didn't seem very straightforward.

EuphrosyneD
Jan 25, 2004

notwithoutmyanus posted:

What has to be done to make a one click install using a msi+mst? Or is that the wrong way to do it? Clarification : I tried with orca but it didn't seem very straightforward.

I've found no good way to keep a transform applied to a MSI file. I always make a batch file like this:
code:
msiexec /i \\server\share\exampleapplication.msi /qb TRANSFORMS=\\server\share\exampleapplication.mst
then run that batch file from wherever.

That runs your MSI with "basic" (just a progress bar and a cancel button) UI and applies the MST file at the UNC path.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

notwithoutmyanus posted:

A "one-click install" isn't the same as applying a transform to an msi. If you're asking how to run the msi in quiet mode, you want the /qn switch. You can get a list of msi parameters here.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Honeymoon is officially over.

I started in just over a year ago. really low problem ticket volumes, mostly just tickets for new SQL reports and CRM custom searches. I got lumped with handling our small fleet of mobile devices which was probably the most arduous task I had.

about 3 months later, IT guy of 9 years left to move back near his family. Two weeks later, they made the other support person redundant (because they upper management gave her a 10k pay increase despite being the least qualified person, then when IT management/project management yelled about it Upper management gave them the taks of fixing their mess) for about 3 months there was just me (support) and the sysadmin and the IT manager. tickets backed up, we got in poo poo from upper management for half-assing, they assigned one of their 'fixer' type middle management guys with lots of ops/user side experience within the company but no IT knowledge at all to manage us and keep us on track.

I mean it was obvious we just needed another set of hands. once we got that second guy (another sysadmin) things got much better.

The IT manager saw the writing on the wall between butting heads with upper management and our new IT ops manager so he side-moted to a sales role.

now our next oldest tech guy, the first sysadmin is leaving. This makes me the person with the most experience in IT and I dont know half the poo poo Im supposed to be able to know.

Oh we also acquired 3 businesses in this time, one with 200 national staff. who we are now supporting.

we have a new guy starting to assist me who will be mostly documenting stuff and supporting the new company exclusively, and obviously we have the funding to replace our sysadmin (and we are talking about getting another)

so I predict liver failure in my near future!

Tigern
Sep 6, 2012

possibly tiger
Grimey Drawer
Paranoid customers again... Or maybe hackers really are breaking int his computer to change Firefox settings :v:

I translated as best as I could:
hey, it's a little quieter now[he sent us a email a few weeks ago when he suspected his neighbour of hacking his "ad hoc"] .... still some sluggishness online with various wind-pages[I have no clue what wind-pages are].
changed antivirus softw .... can not have antivirus softw not controlled via passwords or adminstrator ..... I have had years of stalking ... but it's been intense since mid-February ...... suspect it happens through subnets ..... increasingly weird settings on intranets ...

hackers also goes directly into the software and destroys, alters .... because of settings I have not set up, ad hoc ... remote control via smartphone..always 3 unknown synchronizations ... etc and the wind closed for several users .. ..ie: denied access as a guest, IA, batch jobs, and local and internet access .... i think that there is a "neighbor" possibly via "bug" spoofed connection??? .... probably several ..

It has calmed slightly now after windows have been inside and checked a little. Think it's windows .... possible there is service from the PC manufacturer, because of the warranty.

Previously:
Hacker changing settings on browsers ... also firefox ........ got in trouble when I changed resolution and redecorated, removed, and hid shortcuts,

Would have liked a few names .... seems like there is a specific IT(hacker)-guy that unlocks and makes computer vulnerable. He is an expert on the intranet (corporate network) .... windows.

I have some unique id's, but lacks MAC address / IP address .... is a hacker traceable ???

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Sorry about YOUR stroke!

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

evobatman posted:

Sorry about YOUR schizophrenia!

FTFY

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I took a PTO day on Monday to recuperate some much-needed sanity and downtime.

The remaining days of the week have been constantly busy with my boss still giving me sysadmin stuff and the users requiring helpdesk stuff.

I've been doing very real work-to-rule when I'm not on call, and wherever possible refusing to act without tickets, but too many times people just keep coming up to me or calling me and opening tickets after the fact. I still document them.

The boss says at the end of this month they're going to review my collected info and then see about making a decision on hiring.

I think I'm going to go to the boss and ask for some extra PTO days, because the stress during the day is not easily dissipated at night. I've always been quick to turn to hobbies and distractions in order to disconnect but I'm waking up more than normal in the middle of the night and having a hard time falling back asleep, which means I gotta sleep through my normal early wake-ups to go to the gym to start the day.

Has anyone ever successfully parlayed unquantifiable stress of a sudden uptake in responsibility into some kind of actual benefit or am I just having too much hope in the land of "additional duties as required?"

I swore to myself that six to eight weeks of this crap would mean it's real YotJ time, and I really don't want to go ultimatum on them out of concern for my future, but this is not what I agreed to when I said during the era of lovely now-fired co-worker that I'd cover the helpdesk while they hired a new guy.

Definitely looking at YotJing but I really don't want to bail out for the first opportunity. I'm spoiled by a driving commute and decent workload as a sysadmin, at least before I was sysadmin + helpdesk.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

MJP posted:

Has anyone ever successfully parlayed unquantifiable stress of a sudden uptake in responsibility into some kind of actual benefit or am I just having too much hope in the land of "additional duties as required?"

The best I have seen when people complain to their employer about stress and wanting time off or a reduction of stress is the employer offering them FMLA leave to help them deal with their "anxiety and depression". In both cases I saw, the the employee declined and YOTJ'ed out, and their anxiety and depression miraculously disappeared.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

MJP posted:

I swore to myself that six to eight weeks of this crap would mean it's real YotJ time, and I really don't want to go ultimatum on them out of concern for my future, but this is not what I agreed to when I said during the era of lovely now-fired co-worker that I'd cover the helpdesk while they hired a new guy.

Don't give them an ultimatum. Don't tell them "hire a helpdesk or I'll quit". The chances of that working are slim to gently caress-all.

Use your PTO, find a new job, put in your notice. Until there's some house-cleaning in upper management, nothing will change. As long as there's still dirt in the hole, you're expected to keep digging.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

SubjectVerbObject posted:

The best I have seen when people complain to their employer about stress and wanting time off or a reduction of stress is the employer offering them FMLA leave to help them deal with their "anxiety and depression". In both cases I saw, the the employee declined and YOTJ'ed out, and their anxiety and depression miraculously disappeared.

To be honest, I'd love to get some FMLA time, but IIRC doesn't FMLA require a diagnosis of some kind of medical condition that requires time off from work? I'm guessing if I talked to a shrink I could get a note like that, or at least find one that would give it (lol @ Cigna's awful network of shrinks in my area) but the idea of one or two weeks unpaid rather than eating away at my PTO balance (because equating sick days with vacation days rules amirite) sounds better to me. It passes time until the end of the month and the hypothetical meeting (I don't even know if it's going to happen, but I could just be paranoid at this point).

To be honest I don't know if this is me being hypersensitive and whiny goony goon or if it's a legitimate dick move being pulled on me by my employer.

Today has been very, very quiet and I got a good amount of catch-up done so far with not many new tickets, tasks, or issues. If I ask for additional vacation time because of all the stress, I don't know how effectively I could steer it into the strategic ("I said I'd happily cover the helpdesk while hiring happens, not while the position is re-evaluated for what skill level the replacement should have") if they bring up the tactical ("Your logs of walk-ups/calls/non-ticket requests aren't that bad given your projects and normal ticket load, you need to prioritize better and manage the workload").

If the boss shoots me down as does HR, then maybe I should just schedule every Monday or Friday off until mid-June and see what happens. It'd eat away at vacation time but I value my present sanity more than a future hypothetical vacation.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
So it looks like I might be :yotj:.

Had an interview yesterday for a solutions Architect position that's a solid 20k pay upgrade. Environment looks pretty solid. Just have to do an online DISC assessment or something and a background check.

Quite the rollercoaster ride of emotions after failing my 410 last week.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

MJP posted:

To be honest I don't know if this is me being hypersensitive and whiny goony goon or if it's a legitimate dick move being pulled on me by my employer.

Today has been very, very quiet and I got a good amount of catch-up done so far with not many new tickets, tasks, or issues. If I ask for additional vacation time because of all the stress, I don't know how effectively I could steer it into the strategic ("I said I'd happily cover the helpdesk while hiring happens, not while the position is re-evaluated for what skill level the replacement should have") if they bring up the tactical ("Your logs of walk-ups/calls/non-ticket requests aren't that bad given your projects and normal ticket load, you need to prioritize better and manage the workload").

If the boss shoots me down as does HR, then maybe I should just schedule every Monday or Friday off until mid-June and see what happens. It'd eat away at vacation time but I value my present sanity more than a future hypothetical vacation.

All depends - my last employer had issues retaining engineers because of internal politics crap and broken promises. We'd be in a meeting where the VP and CEO would talk about how great our budget numbers were and we were on track to exceed the previous year's revenue, then it would come time for promotions and raises and all of a sudden there's no room in the budget to promote guys that busted their asses getting certified and doing all sorts of training outside work. Ended up losing 9 people between October 2014 and May 2015 because they all got their certs and training done, then took another job elsewhere that paid better. By the time I left, the project team, network team and help desk were all trying to cross-train and pick up the workload because of the employee shortage, and management didn't have any plans to look or start hiring until Q1 2016.

No idea what was going on behind the scenes that caused the budget shortages, but when I got denied a raise after getting my MCP because of the same "budget issues", I wound up landing a Tier 2-2.5 engineer job elsewhere making almost $5k more a year than the old place. Funny enough, the new place is a corporate environment, old was an MSP, and I'm less stressed just by the fact that I don't have to be tethered to a work phone 24/7/365 to handle issues with 16 clients that me and one other engineer managed.

BOOTY-ADE fucked around with this message at 17:54 on May 8, 2015

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

MJP posted:

To be honest, I'd love to get some FMLA time, but IIRC doesn't FMLA require a diagnosis of some kind of medical condition that requires time off from work?

I'm pretty sure it does, and that's the issue. Do you really want a mental illness diagnosis on your medical history in order to get time off work? In one of the cases I was thinking of a helpdesk supervisor where I work was overworked and stressed, and asked for help reducing his stress, thinking of things like sane work hours, let call/case metric pressure and some recognition. He was basically told 'if you can't handle it you can take a medical leave of absence to get help with your issues.'

It all worked out. I left that job and got another one with a nice raise. Then 2 months later, he left and came to work at the same place as me, and then we happily raided our old place of any competent employee that we could.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

MJP posted:

By additional vacation time, do you mean additional PTO that you're not eligible for or just time that you want to take and that you're eligible for that they won't let you?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

MJP posted:

You weren't hired to do two loving jobs and thats the end of it.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

By additional vacation time, do you mean additional PTO that you're not eligible for or just time that you want to take and that you're eligible for that they won't let you?

Additional PTO for which I'm not eligible, or as someone named "crankysysadmin" in /r/sysadmin (with whom I've had philosophical disagreements in the past, nor am I alone in other denizens there in butting heads with the guy) so put it, just days I don't come in that the boss doesn't report, which probably wouldn't fly. We're a small company but that would get noticed if Things Got Bad.

This guy's responses are also pretty nicely gold, given that he has A Team and here it's just me.

quote:

I think you're doing a lot of bitching and moaning. You work for a pretty small company. A lot of people here are responsible for a lot of stuff.

quote:

If you're working 8 hour days, you don't get time off. Just because this stresses you out doesn't mean anything.
You're still working 40 hours a week. You need to get a grip.
We have several IT team members right now doing other things to cover for someone who had surgery and another person who quit, and it isn't what their jobs were, and some poo poo isn't getting done, but they're working 40-45 hours a week.
You don't get more time off for that. We just know less gets done in the mean time.
How old are you? Your situation sucks, but it isn't the epic battle from hell you're making it out to be. You're going to have a heart attack. You need to calm down.

I'll take his thoughts for their intent rather than the way they come across (cranky, maybe?) - what are some good coping strategies I should take a shot at? I track stuff in a project tracking system and leave myself notes so I know where I am. I've been keeping track of the non-ticket requests and classifying them (did they open a ticket after the fact or not, is it a support request or not) and I've been asking people wherever possible "open a ticket and I'll get to it as soon as I can." For non-ticket stuff with my boss I track it in the project tracking system and lean on him for input/approval as needed in a reasonable fashion (He's asked me to remind him if I don't get to X or Y, given his workload and schedule). For vendors I ask them wherever possible to keep it on email so I don't lose anything on a phone call should the juggle become busy.

I should probably slow down all my work to force it to be spaced better but I simply just can't do it - I don't know how, and my instinct is "let's get this done so you're ready for whatever might come down the pipe."

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

FMLA != Additional PTO.

FMLA means "I have medical things for me or my family that I need to attend to, regardless as to whether I have enough PTO or not".

It's a way to take unpaid time-off without employment repercussions.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

AlexDeGruven posted:

It's a way to take unpaid time-off without employment repercussions.

While that part is legally required, it's not likely to be true. Using FMLA time off is a good way to get your role transitioned and yourself let go for what are of course completely unrelated reasons.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, from what I know of FMLA it just means they can't legally fire you for being sick. However, eliminating your position, though...

My wife was a teacher when she had to take FMLA. Close to the end they began the process to non-renew her, and being un-tenured, the union didn't really do much. Not IT, but still scummy.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

MJP posted:

I'll take his thoughts for their intent rather than the way they come across (cranky, maybe?) - what are some good coping strategies I should take a shot at?

I should probably slow down all my work to force it to be spaced better but I simply just can't do it - I don't know how, and my instinct is "let's get this done so you're ready for whatever might come down the pipe."

Someone once told me there are three types of problems: A problem that affects you that you can change; a problem that affects you that you can't change; and a problem that affects someone else. The key is changing the first one, ignoring the second one, and not being involved in the third.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

MJP posted:

Yeah, from what I know of FMLA it just means they can't legally fire you for being sick. However, eliminating your position, though...

My wife was a teacher when she had to take FMLA. Close to the end they began the process to non-renew her, and being un-tenured, the union didn't really do much. Not IT, but still scummy.

That's some of the scummiest poo poo and irritates the hell out of me that employers can get away with it. If someone is stressed out, especially because of too much work and not enough help, that's the fault of the employer, not the employee. No wonder so many places have people getting burned out and upper management/owners wondering why they can't hire or retain employees. Also, sort of related, gently caress "at will" or "right to work" bullshit too, it ties into this kind of behavior with the idea that your position can be eliminated for any (or no) reason at all.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Ozz81 posted:

That's some of the scummiest poo poo and irritates the hell out of me that employers can get away with it.
They actually can't. FMLA is really, really clear, along with a lot of other employment law. They must offer an equivalent position ("virtually identical"). She'd have to prove the non-renewal was due to her taking FMLA, which is legally protected, and that'd be virtually impossible for her to do.

In most positions (read: where you're not worrying about yearly contracts because you're a teacher without tenure), this kind of employer "recourse" is almost impossible. FMLA is notoriously annoying for employers precisely because it's so difficult to get rid of even employees that abuse it.

"At will" and "right to work" are totally different terms with totally different meanings. Even in "at will" states, wrongful termination is murky, and companies tend to take the safe route (written warnings, formal disciplinary action), even if they may encourage employees to resign in order to avoid a bad answer to the "is this employee eligible for rehire" question (or similar) that they're legally in the clear to answer on reference calls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Show me a person I can't fire and I'll show you a person I'll make quit.

• Locked thread