Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Is that graffiti supposed to be miiverse drawings? Because that's cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

FirstAidKite posted:

I thought the cards were only for that animal crossing game thing and nothing else

That's all that's been announced so far. But remember that amiibo overall were first only announced for Smash; and now there's Mario and Splatoon lines.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
kmart vs walmart

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

There was always the intention they would be used for multiple games though?

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

I guess the dog vs cats thing (rock vs pop in the EU direct) could end up being something ridiculous like coke vs pepsi but it's hard to imagine that actually happening

Maybe it'll be clothing brands. They already put Mercedes in Mario Kart

Here a product placement
Mario vs Donkey Kong

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Lord Lambeth posted:

There was always the intention they would be used for multiple games though?

True; but the marketing and packaging were very Smash focused. And the Animal Crossing amiibo cards might end up getting used for other, non-designer game thing, purposes.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Wait, they are only releasing Amiibo cards for Animal Crossing? I thought they were going to release the whole lineup as cards. I was all on board with that, and probably would have bought the whole set of them if they were cheap enough.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Astro7x posted:

Wait, they are only releasing Amiibo cards for Animal Crossing? I thought they were going to release the whole lineup as cards. I was all on board with that, and probably would have bought the whole set of them if they were cheap enough.

The only cards confirmed specifically so far are the Animal Crossing ones; but a couple different interviews have addressed the possibility of bringing back other amiibo in card form. We just don't know when that's going to happen.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Misandu posted:

Have they announced any write functionality related to the cards?

I can't imagine why there wouldn't be, an NFC circuit and a teensy amount of memory has to be the cheapest part of an amiibo.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
There is not really a point to releasing a read only card. You could release the same unlockable feature as paid DLC, and cut out the retail mark up and physical production

Which makes me think of how likely id be to throw down a couple bucks for a Pac Man MK8 costume, when I'm unlikely to buy a $13 figure for it.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Polo-Rican posted:

I think nintendo's biggest challenge with this game will be dealing with the 8-year old / 30-year-old player divide. Once you play a few games I'm sure the ranking system will do its job, but those first few matches are going to really damage the self-esteem of the actual children playing.
Kids don't give a poo poo about their k/d ratio, that's only something adults get angry about. I always got stomped playing with my brothers in Goldeneye but I still loved it, and my niece gets brutally murdered in Garden Warfare's versus mode but she still prefers it to coop.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

wow sounds like your niece's parents are rearing a real noob. maybe a true gamer should step in

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

epitasis posted:

wow sounds like your niece's parents are rearing a real noob. maybe a true gamer should step in
I'm doing the best I can to teach her to shoot people in the face and head, but I'm just one man.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Shooting heads is overrated. Shooting feet with rockets (your opponents and yours) is the best. It looks like there won't be any rocket jumping shenanigans, but that's okay.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
So wait, is there a Splatoon demo up on the eShop right now, or no?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Nickoten posted:

It's up but you can only play at certain times.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Nickoten posted:

yeah it's up but there is still no dedicated Splatoon channel in Miiverse :(

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.

raditts posted:

I can't imagine why there wouldn't be, an NFC circuit and a teensy amount of memory has to be the cheapest part of an amiibo.

I think it's likely that the NFC chip is going to be the most expensive part of the card though.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It doesn't matter if the cards are read/write or just read because barely any games use the write feature and there's only enough space for one write file either way.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It doesn't matter if the cards are read/write or just read because barely any games use the write feature and there's only enough space for one write file either way.

I don't even understand what Mario Party writes to the Amiibo that can't be done by just saving it to the game save file. I get Smash because there is a 3DS version

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Astro7x posted:

I don't even understand what Mario Party writes to the Amiibo that can't be done by just saving it to the game save file. I get Smash because there is a 3DS version

Your customized amiibo 'load out' of fancy base and tokens can be saved to the amiibo. There's also read-only mode that unlocks amiibo party boards

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

I guess the dog vs cats thing (rock vs pop in the EU direct) could end up being something ridiculous like coke vs pepsi but it's hard to imagine that actually happening

Maybe it'll be clothing brands. They already put Mercedes in Mario Kart

Am I being weird in thinking that maybe the free updates are free and not paid DLC because they're having the ads instead?

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.
Kirby and the Rainbow Paintbrush got released in PAL regions today. Is it a game anyone would recommend?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Ronnie posted:

Kirby and the Rainbow Paintbrush got released in PAL regions today. Is it a game anyone would recommend?

I would. It's charming as all hell and really fun to boot. Short...but it's priced accordingly.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

jivjov posted:

I would. It's charming as all hell and really fun to boot. Short...but it's priced accordingly.

How much is it priced in EU?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Golden Goat posted:

How much is it priced in EU?

I assumed it would be equivalently lower priced than a standard retail release, as the US release was.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

jivjov posted:

I assumed it would be equivalently lower priced than a standard retail release, as the US release was.

Double checked, €50 at Gamestop. At least it's less then the PS4/Xbone games which are at €70.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
€38 on German Amazon, http://www.amazon.de/dp/B00UWS743Q/
Which seems about right considering the usual currency conversion between regions.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Gameseek has it for 25 quid, which is about €35. Plus shipping if you're not in the UK, which when I preordered Splatoon was £2 (to Sweden).

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Officially, its MSRP in the UK is £35, which translates to 53.30 USD. Very cheap.

Amazon ES is selling it for 31.50€ and Amazon FR is selling it for 34€. Those are the cheapest prices in the EU at the moment, which translate to around 38 USD.

Eurogamer is recommending the game, even though it doesn't sound glowing:

quote:

It's a shame, as while the GamePad's screen is far from a disaster, so much time spent playing Rainbow Curse takes place with your eye trained away from the glorious world that HAL has created, the delicious assets rendered in sweet HD going to waste on that slightly smeared interface. There's not quite enough thought having gone into what being on a home console means, and the art aside, Rainbow Curse feels like too straightforward a transposition of an older format.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Rainbow Curse is amazing and only dumb idiots think otherwise.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

I love Kirby's platformers but usually pass on the "Kirby's shaped like a ball, let's have him do ball things" games.

Might pick this up if it's actually worth it though

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Cuckoo posted:

I love Kirby's platformers but usually pass on the "Kirby's shaped like a ball, let's have him do ball things" games.

Might pick this up if it's actually worth it though

you may have missed out on kirby's dream course, in which case, goondolences

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

I am excited for cute game "Splatoon".

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Tatsuta Age posted:

I am excited for cute game "Splatoon".

I too am looking forward to rolling over squid people.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Saoshyant posted:

Eurogamer is recommending the game, even though it doesn't sound glowing:

I agree with not liking games that have me looking at the game pad the whole time. It would be like having a 3DS game with all the action in the bottom screen.

These games look so gorgeous, don't make me look at the. SD screen.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

REAL gamers can look at the TV while drawing on the gamepad. :smug:

(I actually forced myself to do this for the more chill sections of the game)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

oddium posted:

you may have missed out on kirby's dream course, in which case, goondolences

Kirby's Dream Course got to be a not so cute game later on though.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Rainbow Curse sounds like a great candidate for a LP game because LPs are really the best way to just take in the scenery of a game without worrying about your own gameplay/actions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Rainbow Curse is a very okay game, gameplay wise, but the aesthetics and atmosphere are relentlessly charming.

• Locked thread