Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

rudatron posted:

Poor people tend to spend their money more than the rich, this is patently obvious.

Look how many yachts are poor people buying? If you redistribute the money from the rich, our vital yacht based economy is going to crumble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Raising the minimum wage reduces the demand for bootstraps imo, it's unfair to punish cobblers like that.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

asdf32 posted:

Here you unironically state the idiotic and undoubtedly internally inconsistent notion that somone's life is attached to their employer.

Welfare subsidizes low wage employers by allowing them to pay a wage below livable, if it wasn't there people wouldn't be willing to work for wages that would make them homeless.

QuarkJets posted:

Look, I think that it's clear that the minimum wage should be $0.00

... and that we should have a guaranteed minimum income of $35k / year, paid for with progressive income taxes. But in lieu of that, I'm okay with having a minimum wage that is greater than or equal to a living wage. Why is this a controversial idea?

Because that's an absolutely absurd number?

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

:laffo: This is great coming from the dude that doesn't know how to do basic math.

My values tell me it would be nice if carbon didn't cause global warming and politics is a human construct so I'm going to advocate policy based on my values.

tldr: "I want it"

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

asdf32 posted:

You loving intellectual child.

Money is a construct but economics is not and while your values might tell you that 15 US monetary units is a fair wage that says literally jack poo poo about the consequences setting wages at a that minimum or about whether doing so actually meets your goals.

Shockingly my values also tell me that's it's not fair that some US workers are pretty pore or that some people on this planet are completely destitute. My values can tell me to fix this. They say literally nothing about how to fix it. The how part requires brain cells expending energy to evaluate various options with differing pluses and minuses.

lol someone's mad that their opinion isn't somehow spergily the truth

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

asdf32 posted:

Buddy I literally cited both with an example for the money. And the money actually increases exponentially as minimum wage goes up because it touches both more people and increases the money to each of them.

No it's not necessarily exponentially more, because the people already making closer to $15 see less of an increase.

This is like freshman math. You're whinging about all the people between $12 and $15 who are affected now because omg that's so many more people, but their wage also only goes up a couple bucks. Unless you have some figures that prove what you're saying? (Would be a first)

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Jarmak posted:

Welfare subsidizes low wage employers by allowing them to pay a wage below livable, if it wasn't there people wouldn't be willing to work for wages that would make them homeless.

Wouldn't they be willing to work for even less out of desperation? I.e. undocumented workers often working for sub minimum wage since they're ineligible for anything?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
hey guy who thinks he's the smartest dude in the thread, remind us all how $15 isn't all that different from $100

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

asdf32 posted:

My values tell me it would be nice if carbon didn't cause global warming and politics is a human construct so I'm going to advocate policy based on my values.

Hey here's an easy one for you, an increase from 50 to 75 is:

A. A 50% increase
B. A 25% increase
C. A 33% increase

Raskolnikov38 fucked around with this message at 15:41 on May 8, 2015

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

asdf32 posted:

Here you unironically state the idiotic and undoubtedly internally inconsistent notion that somone's life is attached to their employer.

welcome to America

it's pretty much textbook that you're (people who have to work for a living, not relaxing on their dad's inheritance) expected to provide for yourself via the employer in this society, welcome, enjoy your stay

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Hey here's an easy one for you, an increase from 50 to 75 is:

A. A 50% increase
B. A 25% increase

C: An order of magnitude (10x)

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

asdf32 posted:

Coolie Ghost
Jan 16, 2013

sensible dissent dispenser
lmao economics is just money psychoanalysis anyway

asdf32
May 15, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

No it's not necessarily exponentially more, because the people already making closer to $15 see less of an increase.

This is like freshman math. You're whinging about all the people between $12 and $15 who are affected now because omg that's so many more people, but their wage also only goes up a couple bucks. Unless you have some figures that prove what you're saying? (Would be a first)

In theory at some point you'd realize you have both zero aptitude for economics and also no desire to learn it and would stop posting about it. But as down with slavery says, this is America.

The guy making $14 gets a $1 bump but the guy who was making $9 gets a $6 bump. Every time you up the increase you add more dollars to everyone who was already getting an increase and increase the wages of more people. As a first order analysis that's exponential. The thing that changes it are the particulars of the income distribution in this range. For example if there just aren't many people making 10-15 then increases in that range don't hit many more people. But that's not the case and the exponential analysis stands as a good rough take.

mastershakeman posted:

Wouldn't they be willing to work for even less out of desperation? I.e. undocumented workers often working for sub minimum wage since they're ineligible for anything?

Yes. As indicated by roughly 80% of the population of the planet earning and living on lower wages.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
bigtime loving intellectual child here

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

asdf32 posted:

You are right, peoples' lives are not attached to their employer, only their: healthcare, housing, utilities, food, water, entertainment, leisure, provision for family needs, retirement, ability to raise children, etc. etc. etc.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

paranoid randroid posted:

bigtime loving intellectual child here

greetings, fellow loving intellectual child

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

archangelwar posted:

You are right, peoples' lives are not attached to their employer, only their: healthcare, housing, utilities, food, water, entertainment, leisure, provision for family needs, retirement, ability to raise children, etc. etc. etc.

One might say those things are attached to your ability to acquire resources for those things, and that society doesn't give so much of a gently caress about how you do that but working for someone else is the easiest way.

edit:

Easiest for loving intellectual children, anyway.

edit2:

Everybody wants to be the boss, but nobody wants to pay the cost.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

wateroverfire posted:

One might say those things are attached to your ability to acquire resources for those things, and that society doesn't give so much of a gently caress about how you do that but working for someone else is the easiest way.

edit:

Easiest for loving intellectual children, anyway.

agreed, lets kill the rich and take all their resources

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

asdf32 posted:

In theory at some point you'd realize you have both zero aptitude for economics and also no desire to learn it and would stop posting about it. But as down with slavery says, this is America.

The guy making $14 gets a $1 bump but the guy who was making $9 gets a $6 bump. Every time you up the increase you add more dollars to everyone who was already getting an increase and increase the wages of more people. As a first order analysis that's exponential. The thing that changes it are the particulars of the income distribution in this range. For example if there just aren't many people making 10-15 then increases in that range don't hit many more people. But that's not the case and the exponential analysis stands as a good rough take.

How are you this ignorant about mathematics and simultaneously this smug. Without knowing the underlying distribution, there's no way to know whether the deviation from linearity is great enough to make any difference, and you certainly can't just assume that it's the same effect as paying everyone $100/hr. Since, you know, to go to $100/hr you have to add $85 to everyone who was already making $15, and that $85 is almost six times what they were already being paid.

Seattle passed a $15 minimum wage last year, are you going to tell me it'd make no difference if they'd passed a $100 minimum wage instead?

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 16:18 on May 8, 2015

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
long live the victory of the loving intellectual childrens' war

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

RBC posted:

agreed, lets kill the rich and take all their resources

That's libel to be a lot harder than you're thinking but if you can make it work game on I guess?

Also if you had the werewithall to be effective at that you could just slay it in the market and that would be way easier.

Which is why the revolution will never happen.

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids
When will a $15/hr minimum wage be considered acceptable by libertarians? 2030? 2060?

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

wateroverfire posted:

That's libel to be a lot harder than you're thinking but if you can make it work game on I guess?

Also if you had the werewithall to be effective at that you could just slay it in the market and that would be way easier.

Which is why the revolution will never happen.

hmm wateroverfire makes a great point here, about murder being the same as investing.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

archangelwar posted:

Access to basic services should have no connection to employment.

IE kindergarten isn't a wal-mart subsidy. Tell me you disagree.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

RBC posted:

greetings, fellow loving intellectual child

I smell the beginnings of a new gang tag!

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

RBC posted:

hmm wateroverfire makes a great point here, about murder being the same as investing.

Investing is probably a lot easier than murder, at least after the first few.

Unseen
Dec 23, 2006
I'll drive the tanker
I'm very progressive and I think the minimum wage should be $30 an hour. That would kickem right in their rich cis privileged balls. loving intellectual children.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
get this poo poo - im so progressive i think we should abolish money and return to a system of credit based on a standard of trust within the community and social pressure against abuse

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
*holds up fists to show off DAVID GRAEBER knuckle tats. theyre really smooshed and illegible to make all the letters fit*

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

wateroverfire posted:

Investing is probably a lot easier than murder, at least after the first few.

good point. but we need some capital to invest first. which is why i suggest mass murder of the wealthy, and aquiring their assets for the people. glad you're on board

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

asdf32 posted:

Access to basic services should have no connection to employment.

IE kindergarten isn't a wal-mart subsidy. Tell me you disagree.

Didn't you just post a source complaining that welfare is bad and should be abolished because it encourages people not to earn a living?

Like, just a few pages ago?

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

RBC posted:

good point. but we need some capital to invest first. which is why i suggest mass murder of the wealthy, and aquiring their assets for the people. glad you're on board

What's your plan to get from 0 resources ===> having the resources to assassinate the global aristocracy and acquire their wealth?

The brilliance of capitalism is that anyone who might be able to pull it off gets from 0 resources ===> having resources and then stops because life is pretty sweet at that point and who wants to gently caress that up.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Unseen posted:

I'm very progressive and I think the minimum wage should be $30 an hour. That would kickem right in their rich cis privileged balls. loving intellectual children.

:gb2gbs:

paranoid randroid posted:

*holds up fists to show off DAVID GRAEBER knuckle tats. theyre really smooshed and illegible to make all the letters fit*

Aw yeah.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

wateroverfire posted:

What's your plan to get from 0 resources ===> having the resources to assassinate the global aristocracy and acquire their wealth?

The brilliance of capitalism is that anyone who might be able to pull it off gets from 0 resources ===> having resources and then stops because life is pretty sweet at that point and who wants to gently caress that up.

Thish, I declare, ish ideology.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Is intellectual child labor illegal?

asdf32
May 15, 2010

rudatron posted:

Unfortunately not.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

rudatron posted:

would this thread exist if it were?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
you know, it's my unwarranted sense of superiority that nurtures me in these difficult times when i argue with people who clearly do not respect me or my bad arguments

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Unseen posted:

hmmm I think youre correct, $30 is closer to $11 than $100 therefore what could go wrong?

• Locked thread