Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

No Pants posted:

Yup.

There are some fun bugs with subways, too, like trains yielding to surface traffic if the station-to-tunnel connection is positioned just right.

Oh my god this changes and ruins everything. And may also explain why my subways are not being used as much as the could. :negative:

I am waiting for the new patch to start all over really. But this still stings a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Vahakyla posted:

I want mail service, too.

Besides that, why are there no mods for ambulances, fire trucks and cop cars?

gently caress that, I want a septic building that functions like the water tower for sewage but that has to be emptied like a landfill. Also, landfills (and septic) that let you toggle in the building screen whether you want to shovel your own cities poo poo or pay a premium to make it someone else's problem by way of a map edge connected highway.
The incinerator analog for in-city septic management would of course need to be open-air manure lagoons.

Cephalocidal fucked around with this message at 06:36 on May 8, 2015

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

Cephalocidal posted:

gently caress that, I want a septic building that functions like the water tower for sewage but that has to be emptied like a landfill.

Yes please!
I tried to recreate my own home town. I live in a very flat place where waste water is actually sent either very far away or treated and pumped back into the system (for use in lawns, despite being cleaner than the drinking water).
So I ended up over filling a creek and turning my entire farmland into a waste water wet land. It keeps growing and I'm not able to contain it anywhere on the map. :(

But unrelated, I had some interesting finds in my city!

For example, that there is a food truck parked in an alley with a worrisome name...

But for a more pressing matter!

Did anyone else realize your groceries may need repairing? I had no idea, thank goodness Dale showed up!
But if you need some special repair work done you need to go down the block to

That hamburger was once small and sad, now it's big! Can you argue with results?

Something tells me this business may not be on the up and up.

Finally, just a pretty picture of my train station.

Guerrand
Mar 12, 2006

RING RING RING RING RING RING
Is there any (significant) traffic interaction between residential and commercial zones? Do residents shop/work at their nearest business and reduce traffic jams when compared to having a single downtown shopping district, or does it not matter?

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Cephalocidal posted:

gently caress that, I want a septic building that functions like the water tower for sewage but that has to be emptied like a landfill. Also, landfills (and septic) that let you toggle in the building screen whether you want to shovel your own cities poo poo or pay a premium to make it someone else's problem by way of a map edge connected highway.
The incinerator analog for in-city septic management would of course need to be open-air manure lagoons.

There's a mod for that (well, kinda): http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197971351804/myworkshopfiles/?appid=255710

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Guerrand posted:

Is there any (significant) traffic interaction between residential and commercial zones? Do residents shop/work at their nearest business and reduce traffic jams when compared to having a single downtown shopping district, or does it not matter?

Sadly, no, there doesn't seem to be any real logic as to where cims shop. They'll go from home across town to work, across to yet another part of town to shop, then back across town to their homes, completely ignoring the beautiful mixed-use neighborhood you built for them.

That said, I find it's still better to mix the zoning together (except for regular industrial, obviously) so that traffic problems are at least evenly spread instead of having nightmare snarls at the chokepoints where the giant blob of residential connects to the giant blob of commerical.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Guerrand posted:

There is weighting to encourage working near to home. Choosing where to shop is random so it is valuable to have commercial easily accessible from the regional level of roads.

The big traffic killer is deliveries. It also seems like where shops buy from is randomized, so double down on that regional road access. High concentrations of commercial, especially of high density, starts turning into industrial road planning junior.

Based on all that I distribute commercial on the main arteries through residential areas to help spread the load of delivery trucks around. I maybe make a shopping mall district as a traffic challenge at some point.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Not sure how much the Steam Workshop is personalized; so not sure if I should take an ego boost from this or not:

Never put anything on the workshop before. Kind of neat to see people using it.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Efexeye posted:

Not sure how much the Steam Workshop is personalized; so not sure if I should take an ego boost from this or not:

Never put anything on the workshop before. Kind of neat to see people using it.

Enjoy the boost, it's the number one item for me as well. :)

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Finally got this (happy birthday to me!) and spent the last two hours happily loving up my very first city and learning useful life tips. For example, making sure you've zoned the right zone (had to demolish a set of factories next door to the elementary school), or remembering to actually link up the sewage outlet with the water pipes.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

I had a city up with all the buildings unlocked, too- this one also has them- but people said that loading it didn't enable the buildings in their other games, so I just took it down.

EDIT: Don't take much to get to the top spot apparently:

boar guy fucked around with this message at 16:42 on May 8, 2015

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Efexeye posted:

I had a city up with all the buildings unlocked, too- this one also has them- but people said that loading it didn't enable the buildings in their other games, so I just took it down.

EDIT: Don't take much to get to the top spot apparently:

well, I put my thumb up in you if that's of any help.

Also: Are there any mods that are considered vital? I've been watching the Nerd Cubed let's play of this and he has like... crazy green road arrows and one way systems everywhere. That seems like a good one.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Sion posted:

Also: Are there any mods that are considered vital? I've been watching the Nerd Cubed let's play of this and he has like... crazy green road arrows and one way systems everywhere. That seems like a good one.

I would recommend:

- No Pillars: makes it significantly easier to finesse complex interchanges. This is the only mod I would consider truly mandatory.
- Unlock All Tiles: increases max city size from 9 tiles to 25. Lets you build a really big city.
- Unlimited Oil and Ore: resources get depleted stupidly fast with default settings. This fixes that.
- First Person Camera: great for exploring your city.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sion posted:

My favorites so far:

Large Pumping Station
Traffic Report Tool
Mod Achievement Enabler
Extended Building Information
Extended Public Transport UI
Disable Clouds

And maybe Traffic Manager, I'm still undecided how useful it is. One of Traffic Manager or Toggle Traffic Lights is a must.

Maybe browse the LUT section until you find a color profile that you like.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Sion posted:

th.....anks?

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012
Are there any mods that damp down the wild population oscillations you tend to get? I think it's a combination of demographics and maybe the game's economic model, but whatever it is, it's annoying to lose like 10-15% of your city's population before it roars back to 14% unemployment.

Seems like more aggressively fuzzing out the age range at which cims die/have kids might help. That and the age range of immigrants, who I think are usually adults?

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Efexeye posted:

th.....anks?

You're welcome, duder.

Also yeah! Good mod suggestions. Thanks.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
I have high demand for Industry, and none for Commercial or Residential, but no one is buying my Industrial goods, so buildings are being abandoned. Commercial services Residential, right? How do I get more Commercial demand when no one is moving in? :psyduck:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Supraluminal posted:

Are there any mods that damp down the wild population oscillations you tend to get? I think it's a combination of demographics and maybe the game's economic model, but whatever it is, it's annoying to lose like 10-15% of your city's population before it roars back to 14% unemployment.

Seems like more aggressively fuzzing out the age range at which cims die/have kids might help. That and the age range of immigrants, who I think are usually adults?

I think this only happens when you zone enormous regions all at once. I usually zone one or two blocks at a time and never have problems with death waves.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Locke Dunnegan posted:

I have high demand for Industry, and none for Commercial or Residential, but no one is buying my Industrial goods, so buildings are being abandoned. Commercial services Residential, right? How do I get more Commercial demand when no one is moving in? :psyduck:

Throw down some parks and uniques, bump down residential taxes to get people to move in.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Locke Dunnegan posted:

Do you have traffic issues in your industrial area? If those roads are clogged you'll get constant abandoned buildings. The game never really tells you they're abandoning because traffic can't move, you kind of have to divine it on your own.

Same thing can happen to commercial, but they don't generate as much traffic as industry.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

xzzy posted:

I think this only happens when you zone enormous regions all at once. I usually zone one or two blocks at a time and never have problems with death waves.

Yeah, zoning large/dense areas makes it way worse. I don't really enjoy being penalized for doing that though.

Honestly I don't feel like variable demographics do much of interest in the game other than act as a mild capacity challenge for some services. They could use fixed percentages to divvy up the population into age brackets and I wouldn't mind.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

I'm hoping against hope for an expansion that expands the game's systems rather than its assets. It's fun, but everything outside of traffic is pretty much just aesthetics after you stumble through a few starter cities. The biggest challenge right now, for me anyway, is resisting the urge to just grid everything out. C:S is definitely more of a toy than a game right now but for $23 i got no complaints.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Efexeye posted:

I'm hoping against hope for an expansion that expands the game's systems rather than its assets. It's fun, but everything outside of traffic is pretty much just aesthetics after you stumble through a few starter cities. The biggest challenge right now, for me anyway, is resisting the urge to just grid everything out. C:S is definitely more of a toy than a game right now but for $23 i got no complaints.

Honestly I would be totally down with then releasing a $15 pack with specific building types. Like a North American or Chinese building pack.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Also last night I was trying to land the "average health below 20%" and discovered that hospitals mitigate the effects of noise pollution. This seems hilarious to me, what do they do, prescribe ear plugs?

When I shut all the hospitals off basically every residential zone in a noisy area got "sick" because of noise. Probably not how I would have designed the game, I'd just have people move out if they were unhappy. At least this method gives you a mechanic to fix it I guess.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Noise pollution needs a big nerf. I don't think people should be getting sick from it. I wouldn't mind it causing some unhappiness, but people getting sick from it is kind of OP.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

One of the decent things that SC:13 did was the events- after you built a stadium, for example, you had to schedule events of varying sizes, scales and costs- starting with I think a BMX race, moving up to a monster truck rally and then a rock concert- and when the events hit there'd be a huge influx of traffic to deal with before and after. There were similar mechanics for convention centers I think; C:S could use some things like that.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Condo towers on a busy street just have better sound insulation. Also a little house next to a busy street might not like it, but a huge skyscraper doesn't care. Maybe just a blanket resistance to noise for high density.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Efexeye posted:

One of the decent things that SC:13 did was the events- after you built a stadium, for example, you had to schedule events of varying sizes, scales and costs- starting with I think a BMX race, moving up to a monster truck rally and then a rock concert- and when the events hit there'd be a huge influx of traffic to deal with. There were similar mechanics for convention centers I think; C:S could use some things like that.

I really wish Unique Buildings did specific things beyond just provide appeal boosts.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

MikeJF posted:

I really wish Unique Buildings did specific things beyond just provide appeal boosts.

They aren't even animated. How come I can't see a little soccer team running around in the stadium sometimes? :argh:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

ToastyPotato posted:

Noise pollution needs a big nerf. I don't think people should be getting sick from it. I wouldn't mind it causing some unhappiness, but people getting sick from it is kind of OP.
How are you getting noise pollution to the point of sickness? I had to checkerboard high density residential in with lumber industry before I ever saw a popup for sickness (not counting poop problems).

Efexeye posted:

One of the decent things that SC:13 did was the events- after you built a stadium, for example, you had to schedule events of varying sizes, scales and costs- starting with I think a BMX race, moving up to a monster truck rally and then a rock concert- and when the events hit there'd be a huge influx of traffic to deal with before and after. There were similar mechanics for convention centers I think; C:S could use some things like that.
I know part of the complaint starting this line of thought is this game is just Traffic - The Citygame but this is at the top of my expansion wishes. I feel like the gamiest of network designs would start showing its seams if exposed to event traffic like that, or parades and such, as a stress test.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I feel like it would be really cool to see events and parades and whatever that affected traffic.

I think my city could stand it :colbert:

You just have to place stadiums in sensible locations that are able to handle a sudden influx of heavy traffic but are otherwise out of the way.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

It was a p. deece mechanic, if you handled the traffic efficiently and got everyone in and out for 100% event attendance you'd make a profit. You could lose money if you handled it badly, too. It was cool to zoom in and hear the oonce oonce oonce or the roar of the crowd during events. I'm a sucker for flavor and besides Cims ritually drowning themselves in my zen gardens this game don't have a lot of it.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Well it was a small team. I'm just happy the game is so successful because a) it shows other studios it's possible to make a lot of money in this market if you do it right and b) it will encourage CO to make DLCs and sequels.

I feel like the last SimCity failing made a lot of people go 'see what happens when you try to make a city game?!' and we weren't going to see a good one in a while.

Cities: Skylines sets up the framework for a decent modern day city game where the roads can be placed however you want, water actually moves, etc. and things aren't so rigidly bound to rules that were created in the 90s to compensate for lovely computers. The fact that I can dam off half the bay and drain it out for additional building space is amazing to me.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

zedprime posted:

How are you getting noise pollution to the point of sickness? I had to checkerboard high density residential in with lumber industry before I ever saw a popup for sickness (not counting poop problems).

I know part of the complaint starting this line of thought is this game is just Traffic - The Citygame but this is at the top of my expansion wishes. I feel like the gamiest of network designs would start showing its seams if exposed to event traffic like that, or parades and such, as a stress test.

I have one busy corner where the residents of a high density building were getting the noise sickness icon. It's a very busy street and also has a subway stop. I ended up just dropping the buildings entirely.

Baronjutter posted:

Condo towers on a busy street just have better sound insulation. Also a little house next to a busy street might not like it, but a huge skyscraper doesn't care. Maybe just a blanket resistance to noise for high density.

Agreed.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

At 80,000 cims my city ran out of memory. Task manager showed 8 gigs fully utilized. Vehicles began dropping consistently and my commercial kept begging for goods. Anyone else encountering this?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

eggyolk posted:

At 80,000 cims my city ran out of memory. Task manager showed 8 gigs fully utilized. Vehicles began dropping consistently and my commercial kept begging for goods. Anyone else encountering this?

My city runs fine at ~150,000 and I have 4 GB of RAM.

If I had to guess I'd say you've got a bunch of assets that have some huge file size and you're running out of RAM when your city loads and it's got tons of 20mb buildings everywhere but idk.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

Totally, I was pretty frustrated when the mixed-use skyscraper downtown in my first city had a lot of "noise sickness." It's kind of stupid.

Along these lines, I'd love to see actual mixed-use zoning featuring commercial below/residential above buildings. With that kind of arrangement nobody's trying to live on the ground floor next to a busy street.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Moridin920 posted:

Well it was a small team. I'm just happy the game is so successful because a) it shows other studios it's possible to make a lot of money in this market if you do it right and b) it will encourage CO to make DLCs and sequels.

I feel like the last SimCity failing made a lot of people go 'see what happens when you try to make a city game?!' and we weren't going to see a good one in a while.

Cities: Skylines sets up the framework for a decent modern day city game where the roads can be placed however you want, water actually moves, etc. and things aren't so rigidly bound to rules that were created in the 90s to compensate for lovely computers. The fact that I can dam off half the bay and drain it out for additional building space is amazing to me.

I'm really looking forward to Skylines 2: the income they got from this one and the demonstration of demand means they should be able to go really all-out on it, and look at the job they did on this one with just twelve people on a tiny budget.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 20:06 on May 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

MikeJF posted:

I'm really looking forward to Skylines 2: the income they got from this one and the demonstration of demand means they should be able to go really all-out on it, and look at the job they did on this one with just twelve people on a tiny budget.

Skylines 2: The Income They Got is a terrible name for a game.