Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

cat doter posted:

You never do that?
No. Bang for buck is terrible on frequent upgrades even if you're partially funding them by selling your old hardware. I try to skip at least 1 generation before upgrading to get a big enough improvement to make it worthwhile to spend the cash and buy the 2nd to top of the line hardware at the time so I don't get reamed too badly by the high end tax. My old hardware I either give to my family or I put it in my WCG/Milkway GPGPU crunching box til' it dies. Got over 100 million points so far which isn't bad for 1 guy with a single crunching box. e: Actually closer to 160 million now that I checked it.

If I see a very good deal I'll make an exception but very good deals are rare.

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/edit: If you plan on going 1440p or higher resolution that does make some sense but if you're sticking with 1080p 2-3GB cards are still fine.

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 14:11 on May 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Normally I'd agree, but with 2GB cards being the norm last generation I think it's worth abandoning that ship with games VRAM requirements going through the roof.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

No. Bang for buck is terrible on frequent upgrades even if you're partially funding them by selling your old hardware. I try to skip at least 1 generation before upgrading to get a big enough improvement to make it worthwhile to spend the cash and buy the 2nd to top of the line hardware at the time so I don't get reamed too badly by the high end tax. My old hardware I either give to my family or I put it in my WCG/Milkway GPGPU crunching box til' it dies. Got over 100 million points so far which isn't bad for 1 guy with a single crunching box. e: Actually closer to 160 million now that I checked it.

If I see a very good deal I'll make an exception but very good deals are rare.

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/edit: If you plan on going 1440p or higher resolution that does make some sense but if you're sticking with 1080p 2-3GB cards are still fine.

This is the easier route, but if you sell within the same gen you can generally make out. For example, my GTX 980 is actually free from buying a reselling so much and there was no unicorn deal in there. Resale on PC parts is very good compared to other things.

That being said I took the biggest ding from a 780ti sale, however that was my own fault for selling a week after the 9 series was released. Also that free 980 is from a year of buying and reselling - but my end goal was never to get something "free" out of it so it also doesn't seem like it was too much effort either.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
That's not how opportunity cost works - money you earn by buying/flipping stuff is no different than money you get from any other work. You could have bought games/drugs/hookers/whatever with it instead, so your GPU isn't free. 3gb 7950s are pushing down to around the $100 mark, anything less than that probably isn't worth upgrading to.

Upgrading from 2gb is a smart future proofing move even at 1080p. Next gen games are pushing the VRAM requirements way higher. I wouldn't buy a card with less than 4gb unless I had a specific use-case in mind, and I wouldn't go less than 3gb unless it was priced as an absolute steal.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 16:17 on May 8, 2015

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
If you're selling within the same gen then you're going to have to wait a while for the next one to come out, especially if you want non-launch prices, though. If you got a decent spare card lying around you might not care but if you don't...well its not so fun to wait to say the least.

Resale on used PC parts is flat out poo poo. 20-30% off year old or less parts is common, its like selling a near new used car. Especially near a new product launch when no one wants to buy except low ballers. If you got near 1 to 1, or greater, dollar exchange on your sales vs what you paid for them you either ripped people off or got lucky.

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/edit: and there are people who get suckered into buying empty PS3 boxes or busted hardware too. The Greater Fool is always out there but you can't on them buying your poo poo at a near MSRP prices. I noticed how you cut off the 'get lucky' part of that quote too, it was there for a reason you know.

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 16:38 on May 8, 2015

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

If you got near 1 to 1, or greater, dollar exchange on your sales vs what you paid for them you ripped people off

I see 3 year old AMD "gaming rigs" on CL all the time listed for $700-900, and people are apparently buying them.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I paid 500 for a 680 when it launched, got 2.5 years out of it and then sold it off for just shy of 200 bucks on ebay after the 980s came out. The card sold pretty fast and took very little effort on my part. Hell even the warranty on the card is able to cross owners, which is rare on just about everything else. The second hand GPU market is huge..even if you've got some odd rear end non reference crap vendor card, someone will always want to SLI out there. I bet I could even successfully sell the 8800gts on my shelf.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Don't know what to tell you guys lol

Paul MaudDib posted:

That's not how opportunity cost works - money you earn by buying/flipping stuff is no different than money you get from any other work. You could have bought games/drugs/hookers/whatever with it instead, so your GPU isn't free. 3gb 7950s are pushing down to around the $100 mark, anything less than that probably isn't worth upgrading to.

Upgrading from 2gb is a smart future proofing move even at 1080p. Next gen games are pushing the VRAM requirements way higher. I wouldn't buy a card with less than 4gb unless I had a specific use-case in mind, and I wouldn't go less than 3gb unless it was priced as an absolute steal.

Yes technically, but I did start out with a $220 card and now and ended up with ~$800 as a side effect of doing a hobby I like to do versus anything I'd consider work. Per hour, that's not a lot of money, but I definitely wasn't doing it for the money. This may be a rather extreme example too as I'm talking about 15 gpus in a year

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

If you're selling within the same gen then you're going to have to wait a while for the next one to come out, especially if you want non-launch prices, though. If you got a decent spare card lying around you might not care but if you don't...well its not so fun to wait to say the least.

Resale on used PC parts is flat out poo poo. 20-30% off year old or less parts is common, its like selling a near new used car. Especially near a new product launch when no one wants to buy except low ballers. If you got near 1 to 1, or greater, dollar exchange on your sales vs what you paid for them you either ripped people off or got lucky.

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/edit: and there are people who get suckered into buying empty PS3 boxes or busted hardware too. The Greater Fool is always out there but you can't on them buying your poo poo at a near MSRP prices. I noticed how you cut off the 'get lucky' part of that quote too, it was there for a reason you know.

20-30% loss is downright good to me if there is a new generation with a replacement model at nearly (or less) the same msrp, that's probably where we differ here.

Something I forgot to mention is the free games are what actually make you money as well. There were definitely a few cards I just wanted to try out to see OC differences and cooling, but I just tried for a week, sold the bundle, and resold the card for 95% of the cost on craigslist.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Yes technically, but I did start out with a $220 card and now and ended up with ~$800 ....20-30% loss is downright good to me
Dude that is nowhere close to 'nearly free' which is what you were saying before.

If someone sold their house* for 20-30% less than what they paid for it and then sold a bunch of other random poo poo to make up the difference to buy a somewhat better one would you also say they got that 2nd house for 'nearly free'? No you would not. Nor would anyone else. A lil' embellishment is fine and fun and all but gross exaggeration isn't.

* <or insert other random item here>

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Twerk from Home posted:

I see 3 year old AMD "gaming rigs" on CL all the time listed for $700-900, and people are apparently buying them.

I thought about selling my old X4 and 7850 without a hard drive for 150 or so. Then I thought about dealing with Craigslist people and said gently caress it

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Dude that is nowhere close to 'nearly free' which is what you were saying before.

If someone sold their house* for 20-30% less than what they paid for it and then sold a bunch of other random poo poo to make up the difference to buy a somewhat better one would you also say they got that 2nd house for 'nearly free'? No you would not. Nor would anyone else. A lil' embellishment is fine and fun and all but gross exaggeration isn't.

* <or insert other random item here>

The point I was making is it's okay to value resale value for gpus which is how this started. I think it's strange for it not to be a factor unless you don't care, which is perfectly valid, however I don't think it's accurate to say you shouldn't care because it's not worth caring about (literal dollar worth). Even a 20% loss after a generation is hardly a loss to me.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
You were making a value based argument for it though (ie. more performance for nearly free) and that typically doesn't pan out from a bang vs buck stand point going from 1 generation to the next. 20-33% loss might be chump change to you but on the high to mid range cards that can work out to a significant chunk of most people's upgrade money. Most people don't upgrade for years at a time for a reason.

dbcooper
Mar 21, 2008
Yams Fan

BIG HEADLINE posted:

For anyone who's buying a 970 soon, Newegg has that new ASUS revision in with the open blower cooler for $329: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121926

The Strix is :10bux: cheaper with a rebate, and supposedly has their special 'DIGI+' VRM voodoo. The 'Turbo' is sort of a warmed-over stock card.

So should I buy this version or MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card or GTX 970 STRIX?

I won't be overclocking. My latest system configuration from the PC Building megathread.

Thanks.

Also screw you to whoever comes up with all these model and variant names or is responsible for PC hardware segmentation. I'm too old for this crap :rant:

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Both are good cards. Asus Strix has a backplate and only uses one 8pin power connector. The MSI card uses two 6 pin connectors (maybe 1 8 pin and 1 6 pin I don't know). MSI is supposed to have the best cooler though the Asus Strix isn't too far behind.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Both are good. Just be aware that the Strix will shut off both fans entirely if it can get away with passive cooling. The MSI will only just down one fan (I think the one with the red bit of shroud around it keeps spinning always) if it doesn't need both.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Nope, both of the fans on my MSI are definitely switched off.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

BIG HEADLINE posted:

For anyone who's buying a 970 soon, Newegg has that new ASUS revision in with the open blower cooler for $329: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121926

The Strix is :10bux: cheaper with a rebate, and supposedly has their special 'DIGI+' VRM voodoo. The 'Turbo' is sort of a warmed-over stock card.

Well, it's closer to being the mini-ITX-ready card with a double-sided squirrel fan, which can be really useful for either SLi or cases with length room but that are otherwise tight fits. I imagine if you have one of those Silverstone TJ08s or PS07s from a couple years back that's nearly ideal for it.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
The Strix is a fantastic card for the money.

If you're going all out on overclocking the GALAX 980 HOF is supposed to be a great choice. A good cooler, a great VRM setup, and they bin the poo poo out of those so the silicon's good too.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 19:12 on May 8, 2015

dbcooper
Mar 21, 2008
Yams Fan

havenwaters posted:

Both are good cards. Asus Strix has a backplate and only uses one 8pin power connector. The MSI card uses two 6 pin connectors (maybe 1 8 pin and 1 6 pin I don't know). MSI is supposed to have the best cooler though the Asus Strix isn't too far behind.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Both are good. Just be aware that the Strix will shut off both fans entirely if it can get away with passive cooling. The MSI will only just down one fan (I think the one with the red bit of shroud around it keeps spinning always) if it doesn't need both.

Any idea about the new ASUS GTX 970 leaf-blower edition that BIG HEADLINE mentioned?

What would you buy if it were your money? Is it a toss up?

Paul MaudDib posted:

The Strix is a fantastic card for the money.

If you're going all out on overclocking the GALAX 980 HOF is supposed to be a great choice.

I don't know if you're responding to me but I won't be overclocking.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

So, am I reading this right as saying that even with my old-rear end HD 7870 Pitcairn, I've still got a "current" card. Albeit with only 2 GB of VRAM and no(?) DirectX 12 support?

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

The point I was making is it's okay to value resale value for gpus which is how this started. I think it's strange for it not to be a factor unless you don't care, which is perfectly valid, however I don't think it's accurate to say you shouldn't care because it's not worth caring about (literal dollar worth). Even a 20% loss after a generation is hardly a loss to me.

I'm not made of money, the only way I can stay even remotely current when it comes to performance is to sell my current hardware while it's still worth something and move up to the next best value part. I've been doing this for about 13 years and it's worked well enough. I could probably get enough money from my R9 290 to halve the cost of a 970 and the 970 will likely maintain its value longer than a 290, though that depends on how pascal turns out I suppose. Nothing is certain.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Just buy the 970 already.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Geemer posted:

So, am I reading this right as saying that even with my old-rear end HD 7870 Pitcairn, I've still got a "current" card. Albeit with only 2 GB of VRAM and no(?) DirectX 12 support?

It will support DX12.

Yes, it's still 'current'.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Geemer posted:

Basically anything that supports D3D11.1 supports D3D12. That includes pretty much AMD's entire GCN line. You'll just have to, uh, wait for AMD to release some drivers to enable DX12 support for some of their older cards. If I recall correctly, only Hawaii has support enabled at the moment.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

dbcooper posted:

Any idea about the new ASUS GTX 970 leaf-blower edition that BIG HEADLINE mentioned?

What would you buy if it were your money? Is it a toss up?

I don't know if you're responding to me but I won't be overclocking.

I'd only get the new cagefan ASUS card if I was going to SLI a pair of them.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

You were making a value based argument for it though (ie. more performance for nearly free) and that typically doesn't pan out from a bang vs buck stand point going from 1 generation to the next. 20-33% loss might be chump change to you but on the high to mid range cards that can work out to a significant chunk of most people's upgrade money. Most people don't upgrade for years at a time for a reason.

I didn't mean to make that point, as you pointed out that doesnt make much sense. All I really meant in the end was its worthwhile to consider resale value. My case is more atypical for sure, where I ended up with almost 4x the value from doing so (and this isn't hard with never ending bundles ;)) but ignoring that specific part of it... anyways I think we figured it out lol. Imo, if you wanna sell to stay current there's nothing wrong with selling within the same generation as the depreciation is quite low.

dbcooper
Mar 21, 2008
Yams Fan

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I'd only get the new cagefan ASUS card if I was going to SLI a pair of them.

Ah, thank you. This is the guidance I was seeking.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
Buying a card with resale value in mind is pretty lol, but maybe that's more for high-end cards. I usually restrict myself to spending no more than ~$250 on video card upgrades every couple years so selling them for $60-$120 eventually doesn't really bother me. You have to sell it at the right point away from any current GPU releases since everyone will be ditching to upgrade. Also after a certain time everything's going to lose too much value to be worth it, like only a dangerous moron would buy a 8800 series card for more than $10 now.

future ghost fucked around with this message at 22:52 on May 8, 2015

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I will say this. Flipping graphics cards is a losing proposition, but if you're good about only getting them with free game codes and immediately selling the those on SA Mart or Ebay, you can snag an extra $40 or so each time without a big hassle (since it only takes a few minutes to list and email a code).

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

sauer kraut posted:

How long until AMD fixes Kotor 1?
I got a Steam copy of that earlier this year and tried it on a 6850, you have to turn off shader effects (aka everything that looks halfway nice) or the game crashes instantly. Apparently the OpenGL driver was patched to cope for some time, then something broke it again and never got taken care of.
edit: I flew too close to the sun apparently. Was working fine with the 6970 and now it appears it's broken again.

Supposedly you can just buy the GOG version since it's pre-patched for newer cards:
http://www.gog.com/game/star_wars_knights_of_the_old_republic

future ghost fucked around with this message at 00:43 on May 9, 2015

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
Speaking of AMD drivers being poo poo, this affects me in Boot Camp, because Apple used AMD hardware in my Retina 5K iMac because it was a better solution for pushing around so goddamn many pixels on one screen.

Anyway. The specific issue is that the Boot Camp drivers, latest provided by AMD themselves last December, are an old version, some 301.something, that doesn't yet support 5K displays. So I get a maximum resolution of 3840x2160@60Hz on my 5120x2880@60Hz display, with bilinear filtering. It doesn't look too terrible, but it still sucks.

And it seems the problem isn't something that can be fixed just by jumping through 5 million hoops to install the Omega drivers on my Apple specific device ID. No, AMD has to explicitly program support for Apple's MST configuration, which internally uses dual DisplayPorts fed through a much larger ribbon cable than the 2013 27" iMacs used with their single DisplayPort configuration. Too bad they're not terribly eager to get that poo poo working, as it's only been five months now since their last already-behind release.

Maybe that's what I get for buying a Mac, lol.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Is that the one with the M290X? If so, yeah, you kinda hosed yourself there. The M290X is a repackage (same GPU and clocks) of the 8970M, which in turn is a repackage (same GPU, +50 MHz core clock) of the 7970M (which admittedly was not a bad mobile GPU when the top of the line desktop AMD GPU was the 7970, but it doesn't hold a candle to an actual 290X).

Buying anything with a mobile AMD GPU in it is just a terrible loving idea.

The 5K Retina display looks really nice at native res at least :downs:

Kazinsal fucked around with this message at 04:16 on May 9, 2015

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
I got the one with the M295X.

E: Which is apparently about equal in power to my Windows PC's R9 270X.

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009
Ok so it looks like I'm going to go with a gtx 970 4gb. In the past I've always gone with evga cards. This thread makes it sound like that is a bad plan with the 970. What's the best card right now, msi?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

kode54 posted:

I got the one with the M295X.

E: Which is apparently about equal in power to my Windows PC's R9 270X.

That's actually surprisingly good. I used to play Far Cry 3 on a 7850 at 1080p.

3 years later that's still the #2 card in the AMD lineup.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Stan S. Stanman posted:

Ok so it looks like I'm going to go with a gtx 970 4gb. In the past I've always gone with evga cards. This thread makes it sound like that is a bad plan with the 970. What's the best card right now, msi?

MSI has a great cooler but is a bit more expensive.

For the price, ASUS Strix is fantastic.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

kode54 posted:

Maybe that's what I get for buying a Mac, lol.

FWIW this isn't a mac exclusive thing. I had a sony vaio Z that has both an intel and nvidia in it. I ran linux on it, since I use it for work, and everything worked well, including the nvidia card (just an intel+nvidia side by side solution, no optimus bullshit), for playing KSP every now and then. Worked really well too, ran desktop on intel, 3d windows on nvidia card, without any display/mode switching at all. With no 3d things running, it shut itself off and ate 0 power.

I bought a new laptop a couple weeks ago, and gave the vaio away. Sure enough, the person needed wintendo on it so they could play games, and sure enough, the only windows nvidia driver that works is the one off of sony website... Which updated never, ever since the laptop was launched years ago. The driver was older than the laptop itself. Luckily for me, I get to dick with windows drivers and install them without issues, but most users don't get the luxury.

So, just as likely as it's amd screwing up, it's apple being the gigantic bitch they are.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Laptop GPU driver updates are a gigantic PITA anyway, regardless of whether or not it's Apple or AMD or Sony or whoever, since you (usually) can't just grab the newest {insert new hot game here}OPTIMISED DRIVER from the GPU manufacturer and start playing.

I don't know if some of the hi-end specific -GAMING- desktop-replacement portable machines can be updated quickly/easily, but I've always had to fight to get anything approaching a new GPU driver on mid/low range laptops.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Paul MaudDib posted:

That's actually surprisingly good. I used to play Far Cry 3 on a 7850 at 1080p.

3 years later that's still the #2 card in the AMD lineup.

In what way is a 7850 the #2 card in the AMD lineup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

beejay posted:

In what way is a 7850 the #2 card in the AMD lineup

If I'm going to make any sense of it, I presume he's referring to the mobile GPUs, but I don't even know if that stacks up, because I didn't check them.