Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I'm sure I beat prettypanda once or twice in FM4, but yeah he was drat good. L_Harrison was insane, although I didnt get to race much with the us guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I beat panda a few days ago in FM5 (barely. And using a car two classes above him). He ain't poo poo.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

track day bro! posted:

I'm sure I beat prettypanda once or twice in FM4, but yeah he was drat good. L_Harrison was insane, although I didnt get to race much with the us guys.

Get it on the ps4 and I will race you op.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Bape Culture posted:

Get it on the ps4 and I will race you op.

I have a fullysick pc to play it on, i'm not buying a ps4!!!!!!!!!!!

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

track day bro! posted:

I have a fullysick pc to play it on, i'm not buying a ps4!!!!!!!!!!!

Nah, nah, nah, that ain't me.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Is there any way to deal with that driver network stuff via a Steam group, or do I have to friend everyone in game? For dick measuring hotlap times and such.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

holocaust bloopers posted:

The RUF GT3 is like handling a very angry snake who's also on fire.

Try the Ford Siera Cosworth, the turbo is way to strong for the rest of the car, it's a wild beast.

kajeto
Mar 27, 2004
Instrumento De Muerte
So what's the general consensus on the PS4 version? I preordered it, but I'm still a little bit on the fence. I don't have a wheel and I don't plan on getting one, would the controller be fine? TIA

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I love the cars you can hear the turbo spooling and knowing it's about to punch you in the face on a second.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Combat Pretzel posted:

Is there any way to deal with that driver network stuff via a Steam group, or do I have to friend everyone in game? For dick measuring hotlap times and such.
Yeah I'm pretty peeved about this. It's going to make organizing much messier compared to direct Steam Community integration. :( It's bad enough that it's impossible to tell how many folks are playing without popping open the Steam web browser to the Community page. No quick way to tell. Oh well, we'll manage.

edit: I think I'm going to be goddamned useless until I get a wheel, I can't manage to get any of these cars around any turns effectively. Either that or I've completely forgotten how to drive. It's embarrassing.

vvvvv yeah but opening that can be a pain and is relatively hidden to having something in-game that's integrated, Forza had the club stuff nailed.

LiquidRain fucked around with this message at 16:40 on May 8, 2015

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

LiquidRain posted:

Yeah I'm pretty peeved about this. It's going to make organizing much messier compared to direct Steam Community integration. :( It's bad enough that it's impossible to tell how many folks are playing without popping open the Steam web browser to the Community page. No quick way to tell. Oh well, we'll manage.

The steam group window shows who's playing what. No need to open the browser for that.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

GutBomb posted:

I beat panda a few days ago in FM5 (barely. And using a car two classes above him). He ain't poo poo.

I beat panda once? I don't remember it. I didn't see the pass. But it's there on the forza 5 league standings. I don't believe it. His forza times make me want to kill myself. There's no way. gently caress you panda god drat it gently caress your bathurst stradale bullshit

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Norns posted:

The steam group window shows who's playing what. No need to open the browser for that.
Can you actually join a multiplayer game via the Steam Friends window as SMS advertises on their site?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

Can you actually join a multiplayer game via the Steam Friends window as SMS advertises on their site?

last night it seemed we all need to be invited, even as friends

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Endbuster was correct, The feedback in the xbone controller is an absolute joke. Nothing like sitting idle on the pavement and the controller starts vibrating for no reason. It also does this in the online race lobby before you even get to the track.

The controls and brakes also seem schizophrenic at best. I've been able to pull some miraculous turns at very high speeds. Other times I can barely tap the brake and it sends me into a spin. Adjusting the brake pressure doesn't seem to matter at all. On Nurburgring GP, I can brake hard at ~150m going into turn 1 and make a great turn. On Catalunya GP, with the same car and same setup, the 150 braking distance I completely miss turn 1.

I can't tell if this game wants to be GTA style racing or more like Forza. Half the time it acts like one game, the other rest.

All that aside, this game is great for driving F1 cars in complete darkness.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Enabling opposite lock help nullifies the harbinger of death snap oversteer on the RUF GT3. Cars can still slide, but now there's a dampening effect on the recovery.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

kajeto posted:

So what's the general consensus on the PS4 version? I preordered it, but I'm still a little bit on the fence. I don't have a wheel and I don't plan on getting one, would the controller be fine? TIA

I would also like to know this because I'm in the same situation

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

geeves posted:

Endbuster was correct, The feedback in the xbone controller is an absolute joke. Nothing like sitting idle on the pavement and the controller starts vibrating for no reason. It also does this in the online race lobby before you even get to the track.

The controls and brakes also seem schizophrenic at best. I've been able to pull some miraculous turns at very high speeds. Other times I can barely tap the brake and it sends me into a spin. Adjusting the brake pressure doesn't seem to matter at all. On Nurburgring GP, I can brake hard at ~150m going into turn 1 and make a great turn. On Catalunya GP, with the same car and same setup, the 150 braking distance I completely miss turn 1.

I can't tell if this game wants to be GTA style racing or more like Forza. Half the time it acts like one game, the other rest.

All that aside, this game is great for driving F1 cars in complete darkness.

On PC or Xbone?

Curious to see how the FFB is on consoles.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Norns posted:

On PC or Xbone?

the xbone version isn't out yet but from early reports it takes full advantage of the impulse triggers, so it should be better

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Norns posted:

On PC or Xbone?

PC. Looking forward to seeing how this works with the thrustmaster, hopefully despite the setup it's better.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Best PC settings for Wired Xbox 360 controller? Anyone have any good suggestions?
Default setting move the car a LOT when you barely touch the stick, for example.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

kajeto posted:

The PS4 version is solid.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Feenix posted:

Best PC settings for Wired Xbox 360 controller? Anyone have any good suggestions?
Default setting move the car a LOT when you barely touch the stick, for example.
Reduce dead zone as low as you can go, decrease steering sensitivity a notch or two, increase speed sensitivity. I had the same issues, though I'm using a PS4 controller. ( with Input Mapper )

I also bumped up the.. I forget the setting name. Filtering? It's at zero by default. Bump it a notch or two to smooth out the inputs from your stick. Increase it too much though and things will just lag though.

Baggins
Feb 21, 2007

Like a Great Wind!
How the hell do I stop the karts from bouncing and swerving all over the place in a straight line on smooth surfaces? Playing with a wheel using default setups because I have no clue what to do in the tuning screens.

It's just ridiculous how they often decide that you're done driving and try to kill you by flipping you into a wall or off track.

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

LiquidRain posted:

Reduce dead zone as low as you can go, decrease steering sensitivity a notch or two, increase speed sensitivity. I had the same issues, though I'm using a PS4 controller. ( with Input Mapper )

I also bumped up the.. I forget the setting name. Filtering? It's at zero by default. Bump it a notch or two to smooth out the inputs from your stick. Increase it too much though and things will just lag though.

On controller, is there anyway to get the sumbitch to snap back when you are trying to countersteer and keep from spinning out. For instance, I get in a slide on a right hander, and anticipate so I start trying to steer left. My dumb motherfucker of a driver will not turn left. He just holds it in the that slide, baby.

Now when I watch people streaming I see that their wheel inputs are allow snapping to catch the drift.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Baggins posted:

How the hell do I stop the karts from bouncing and swerving all over the place in a straight line on smooth surfaces? Playing with a wheel using default setups because I have no clue what to do in the tuning screens.

It's just ridiculous how they often decide that you're done driving and try to kill you by flipping you into a wall or off track.

I had the same problem before I calibrated my wheel in game.

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
I usually end up having to fake-calibrate my wheel for normal cars to pretend it has 400 degrees of turning so that i'm not going hand over hand just to do a 90 degree turn, but for karts it needs the full 900 to have the kart's 200ish actual degrees of turning

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

holocaust bloopers posted:

The PS4 version is solid.

This, I'm having a blast so far and most of the lower tiers of racing are simple to get used to.

Might as well repeat the message. I'm looking to organize a bit of racing tonight for GMT located folks, probably Formula Rookie and other low-tier stuff. I'm in the Netherlands myself(GMT+1) Looking to start at around 9ish GMT, anyone up for it add me on PSN or if you already have me on there just yell at me.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

ethanol posted:

last night it seemed we all need to be invited, even as friends

I made it a private server

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

The p1 is interesting. the car is pretty evil, but still fast as gently caress with throttle control. I'm driving it like an idiot on the nordschleife, yet the AI still has managed to not hit me even swerving off the track to avoid my lovely line. Overall I'm very happy with the AI we got, it's still a dumb computer, but frankly this is the best AI I've ever raced against

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Wallrod posted:

I usually end up having to fake-calibrate my wheel for normal cars to pretend it has 400 degrees of turning so that i'm not going hand over hand just to do a 90 degree turn, but for karts it needs the full 900 to have the kart's 200ish actual degrees of turning

The game automatically adjusts wheel rotation bases on car for me.

Oh nevermind. You just want a smaller turning radius on some of the cars. I get it

Norns fucked around with this message at 18:06 on May 8, 2015

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Hardly any vibration feedback on a game pad. Makes it difficult to judge traction or braking.

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture

Norns posted:

The game automatically adjusts wheel rotation bases on car for me.

Oh nevermind. You just want a smaller turning radius on some of the cars. I get it

Nope, i have to gently caress around to get the steering ratio i actually want.. i should probably look a bit harder at the interface, but driving race cars with roadcar-like 900 degrees feels ridiculous most of the time for me. That and i can't be arsed to edit car setups individually. I've got a Driving Force Pro and the secret button combo to reduce the turning range locks it down to 200, which is way too short for me usually.

Wallrod fucked around with this message at 18:33 on May 8, 2015

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
There is practically zero use of vibration using a gamepad. I hope the PS4 version isn't like this.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

That's weird. Since ever I cloned the default setup of the RUF GT3 while not changing poo poo on it, it suddenly behaves more squirrely. In a good way, tho.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Every sim I've played with the P1, it needs a subtle touch with acceleration like formula 1 and can be a bit of a problem child in various other ways. I've heard other complaints for this game's version and I bet this car is in fact one of the hardest to use a controller with as well so I've been messing around with settings to see just how comfortable I can be in it while trying to beat its real life track times. Frankly it's pretty close to default but maybe it can give people an idea if they've gotten lost in the numbers:

No assists
Steer Deadzone 10
Steer Sensitivity: 40
Speed Sensitivity: 65
Throttle DZ: 10
Throttle Sensitivity: 30
brake DZ: 10
brake Sensitivity: 15
Controller Filtering sensitivity: 0
virtual wheel range: 180
Advanced: On
Soft Steering dampening: On
Visual Wheel Filtering: On
Opposite Lock help: off

This feels just about perfect to me with an xbox one controller ignoring the bugged up FFB so I hope it can help somebody.... and I was comfortably keeping up with wheel user OhsH (not too shabby of a driver) on the F1 race we did last night, we were within .5 second of each other on our best laps. I did switch to test a 360 controller, and found it to be the same, but trickier because my analog sticks are too stiff on it.

The most swear provoking wipe outs in the game for me have usually come with quick taps of the brakes on certain corners. the p1 is especially susceptible to this. A little unevenness in the road during just a little bit of late braking and it can really make you feel helpless. Do this with an abrupt downshift and you're totally dead. Keeping in mind I don't have any assists on, I can't imagine the real version is too easy to feed into 50 mph corners from 130+ mph with all the fancy options turned off. Sticking with softer straight line braking and making sure to be in the right gear and nice warm tires, I was able to do a clean and easy 7:30 or so on the nordschleife... with a little more balls, I'm sure this car can beat its real life counterpart. It may be difficult, but it's not bad.. it's a car for champions!

I noticed the rear wing doesn't seem to retract at high speed though. according to top gear apparently this will break the suspension on the real car.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

P1 on Nordschleife, eh?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Some cars really are set up poorly from the get go. It takes some trial and error to figure out if it's the control settings or the actual car setup. For someone completely unfamiliar with racing sims, this'll prove frustrating. Knowing the difference between mid corner understeer vs controller issues for example.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
If you're spinning while braking push the brake bias forward in your setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH
So if you have an XBox One controller while playing on PC, turn off force feedback entirely. That gets rid of the bugs.

And suddenly this game doesn't feel like it was made by crazy people with no idea about physics or cars.

• Locked thread