Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Exmond posted:

Not really... I know there was a global chat channel we all used but it was empty last time I played

The same chat channel has always been empty. Funcom hosed chat at launch and you would always disconnect. The old go to was Mumble but I'm not sure what the channel is or even if it's up anymore. The old Goon cabals are basically dead too.

That being said I plan to patch tonight and maybe gently caress around a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alfheimwanderer
Jun 1, 2011

Oh brave new world that hath such people in it...

Len posted:

That being said I plan to patch tonight and maybe gently caress around a bit.

Its a good bit of fun. New group instance isn't coming out till later though.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

So if I wanted to come back and make a new character, I'm assuming Funcom went the dick route and made cash shop outfits character bound instead of account bound?

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III

AlmightyBob posted:

So if I wanted to come back and make a new character, I'm assuming Funcom went the dick route and made cash shop outfits character bound instead of account bound?

I was also wondering this. I figured I'd do Illuminati this time instead of going back to my Templar so I could redo the story from the beginning, but it would be nice to have my unlocks.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Dragonrah posted:

I was also wondering this. I figured I'd do Illuminati this time instead of going back to my Templar so I could redo the story from the beginning, but it would be nice to have my unlocks.

Yeah, I had a great outfit on my old character but I ain't gonna rebuy it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

AlmightyBob posted:

Since day 1. And it gets better. Say you buy the unicorn mask for your guy and unlock it account bound. It won't be available for a girl. They literally are gender locked.

Unless that's changed. It may have but I doubt it.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
which signets are the good ones again? i bought a bunch of mystery bags with my solomon island sequins

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i found some expired dates, and i ate them, and i died

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

AlmightyBob posted:

So if I wanted to come back and make a new character, I'm assuming Funcom went the dick route[...]

This is true for basically everything they do, yes.

They added an option to pay 25% more to make the clothes account-wide, and if you already own it on a character it should only cost you the additional amount of funny points. But as Platbeard said, it's still gender-locked.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

I'm reinstalling this to dick around with the new issue. I went trawling for builds because of all the skill changes, and found this shotgun/pistol one which seems similar to the old NM build.

https://forums.thesecretworld.com/s...l=1#post1856574

I must be blind, though, because I can't find the afflict that would trigger Iron Maiden. What am I missing?

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

Not sure, but it's a good build to use and the buffs are welcome on any run, as well as win-win and cleanup.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Thanks for the taco tips, those really helped. It's been so long since I played, is there a way to add extra hotbars for items so I don't have to open my inventory each time I want to eat one?

Also, I noticed that my assault rifle wasn't doing poo poo for me with my strike build, so I swapped for hammer and wow things are dying way quicker. Lick Your Wounds is giving me a little regen, but with so many strike actives and passives, like the one that applies Weakened on a strike attack, enemies are dying pretty quickly. I don't see much else in the ability wheel that would help with my strike abilities but I have tons of AP sitting around. If I wanted to start messing around with an AOE build would chain attacks be a good starter? I see some synergy in the elementalism and pistols trees along those lines.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Serf posted:

Thanks for the taco tips, those really helped. It's been so long since I played, is there a way to add extra hotbars for items so I don't have to open my inventory each time I want to eat one?

Also, I noticed that my assault rifle wasn't doing poo poo for me with my strike build, so I swapped for hammer and wow things are dying way quicker. Lick Your Wounds is giving me a little regen, but with so many strike actives and passives, like the one that applies Weakened on a strike attack, enemies are dying pretty quickly. I don't see much else in the ability wheel that would help with my strike abilities but I have tons of AP sitting around. If I wanted to start messing around with an AOE build would chain attacks be a good starter? I see some synergy in the elementalism and pistols trees along those lines.

There is one default quickbar which you might have to enable somewhere (UI options probably), that comes with shortcuts, and you can add as many bars for consumables as you want by making new bags: Open your inventory, click the + sign, drag the new bag where you want the shortcuts to be and drag it into your preferred size, then click the pin icon for that bar and it will stay open with whatever is in it as you close the inventory again. You can also enable a setting that disables dragging/resizing of pinned bags somewhere.

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

So I haven't played this since the beta for it, and I picked it up on Steam a while ago. Finally got around to installing it. Is there a clear choice for faction re:story/questing? I think I played as a Templar during the beta, but it was a long time ago.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Kessel posted:

I'm reinstalling this to dick around with the new issue. I went trawling for builds because of all the skill changes, and found this shotgun/pistol one which seems similar to the old NM build.

https://forums.thesecretworld.com/s...l=1#post1856574

I must be blind, though, because I can't find the afflict that would trigger Iron Maiden. What am I missing?

Chainsaw passive is Rotting Teeth, which I think counts as an Afflict, since it's a short DOT that reduces healing. It triggers on any Chainsaw hit.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
Looks like that build is reliant on the tank applying affliction. Not sure it was designed as a solo build, if that is what you are looking for. Otherwise it is perfectly cookie cutter nightmare dps build.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Tollymain posted:

i found some expired dates, and i ate them, and i died

There's an achievement for surviving a while with those.

Serf posted:

If I wanted to start messing around with an AOE build would chain attacks be a good starter? I see some synergy in the elementalism and pistols trees along those lines.

Short answer: Yes. But be aware that AoEs are about half as powerful as single-target attacks. In a solo build, you'll mostly be wanting single-target attacks with a minor in AoEs for cleaning up trash and adds.

rizzen posted:

So I haven't played this since the beta for it, and I picked it up on Steam a while ago. Finally got around to installing it. Is there a clear choice for faction re:story/questing? I think I played as a Templar during the beta, but it was a long time ago.

Illuminati has the best handler. I think the faction-specific quest that the playerbase considers best belongs to the Templars. Dragon are just kinda meh across the board, unfortunately. There's some clever bits in their mission debriefs, but it can fly over your head if you're not on board with the chaos theory poo poo.

Otherwise, your choice of faction mostly influences what faction-specific outfits you can get. This calculator has the concept art for the deck outfits, you can see which you'd like.

And of course you have three character slots, nothing but your own aversion to rerunning the same story quests prevents you from having a character in each faction.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Dareon posted:

Short answer: Yes. But be aware that AoEs are about half as powerful as single-target attacks. In a solo build, you'll mostly be wanting single-target attacks with a minor in AoEs for cleaning up trash and adds.

Yeah, I noticed that AOE attacks are massively weaker than the strike attacks I use for the most part. It's just that all these drat zombies on Solomon island are a pain because there's a pack of 5 every ten meters and ugh. But I know later you're fighting Ak'ab and a single-target strike build is probably better for them. I did pick up a PBOAE consumer from hammers, have yet to try it out though.

DailyDumSum
May 21, 2004
Fresh Daily
I'm also thinking of coming back and learning about Japan (issue #9), and forwards to get to the story ending. Is there a good solo build for Japan (supposing I can't find anyone to do the missions with).

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Serf posted:

Yeah, I noticed that AOE attacks are massively weaker than the strike attacks I use for the most part. It's just that all these drat zombies on Solomon island are a pain because there's a pack of 5 every ten meters and ugh. But I know later you're fighting Ak'ab and a single-target strike build is probably better for them. I did pick up a PBOAE consumer from hammers, have yet to try it out though.

The 1-point Shotgun passive that does an AoE blast whenever anything dies with at least one Shotgun resource on it is pretty good at knocking out zombie hordes.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.
So I saw on RPS there was a thing and they finished Tokyo finally. Guess I'll reinstall this tomorrow.

alfheimwanderer
Jun 1, 2011

Oh brave new world that hath such people in it...

DailyDumSum posted:

I'm also thinking of coming back and learning about Japan (issue #9), and forwards to get to the story ending. Is there a good solo build for Japan (supposing I can't find anyone to do the missions with).

Just starting out, most survival builds work great in Tokyo. You will want to get your AEGIS upgraded ASAP though, since in order to hurt the creatures there, you need to get through their shields.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

There's something nostalgic about opening the TSW patcher and seeing an important notice that the main questline is bugged :unsmith:

But seriously.

quote:

If you complete the final mission and do not receive your ultimate reward, please use the /petition command

HOW ARE YOU GUYS THIS BAD?!

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Len posted:

There's something nostalgic about opening the TSW patcher and seeing an important notice that the main questline is bugged :unsmith:

But seriously.

HOW ARE YOU GUYS THIS BAD?!

It's only three of them so this isn't surprising.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Checking out the patch notes since we're on 1.11.2 and I'm curious what broke hard enough to get them to push two patches since 11 launched. That's very not Funcom.

quote:

Characters will no longer perform idle animations while wearing a headlamp.
[quote]

Well there goes some fun :(

[quote]
Meet Up functionality is no longer limited to players on your team or friends list. So you can go ahead and meet up with strangers. (Even if your parents told you not to.)
You can now meet up on other players by right clicking their name in the chat window and selecting "Meet Up"

Our friend lists are saved!

quote:

Fixed an issue where the trade window wouldn't display items offered for trade.

FINALLY

Nothing super weird on the fix list though. Huh. That is very not Funcom like. Probably an exploit to make a grind go away.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Why did nobody tell me I could turn my Orochi Hammer into a pimp cane?

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
So I just finished the tower and I have to say it was some of the most tedious unfun poo poo ever. Getting into it and the first three floors are fine. You can even choose which way you head up so you get a bunch of different floors belonging to different Orochi divisions which I think is pretty cool. Not gonna spoil anything but especially the top floor sucked. Usually I do new issues again as soon as I can and keep revisiting them from time to time but they seriously need to rebalance this poo poo and I would not recommend doing it at all and just looking up the story parts on youtube.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.
Reinstalled, did a few missions... crash. The game still crashes loving constantly in dx11. Switch to dx9... still loving crashing. Meanwhile I run FFXIV for like 4 days in a row and no issues ever.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Oh man do I need to log in again?

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
It's a trap don't fall for it.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Lawlicaust posted:

It's a trap don't fall for it.

The last three posts are a beta reunion. Just need drinkfist to chime in.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
just a heads up, that mission in the scorched desert where you go fight the locust god is pretty much actively broken

like, after you drop its shield with the mcguffin artifact, it'll shortly bring up a new one that you can't use the artifact on and that a full set of dps gear from the ankh can't get through. the gm i got through support said it was working as intended, so i can only assume somebody in development didn't like people completing the mission

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Dicking around in this game for a few days has again reminded me what I love and hate about The Secret World

love - the world and atmosphere is without compare

hate - everything else. buggy quests. interface that is painful without mods and has to be constantly reloaded with. the tower feels loving rushed and unfinished

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Kessel posted:

Dicking around in this game for a few days has again reminded me what I love and hate about The Secret World

love - the world and atmosphere is without compare

hate - everything else. buggy quests. interface that is painful without mods and has to be constantly reloaded with. the tower feels loving rushed and unfinished
I remember the one time I tried playing this with you and Merc and the thing that stuck with me the most was when I went to go type a chat message, when it reach the end of the chat window the text just kept continuing past it instead of starting a new line or scrolling. :downs:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Tollymain posted:

just a heads up, that mission in the scorched desert where you go fight the locust god is pretty much actively broken

like, after you drop its shield with the mcguffin artifact, it'll shortly bring up a new one that you can't use the artifact on and that a full set of dps gear from the ankh can't get through. the gm i got through support said it was working as intended, so i can only assume somebody in development didn't like people completing the mission

The GM team is the worst at actually doing their jobs because they aren't given anywhere near the resources they need for it. If you go back through the TSW threads on SA you'll find numerous points of the GMs not being on the same page the ones that stick out:

December 2012:
Achievements for the Harbingers not working as intended. Some GMs would award them for you. Others would say no fight them over and over until you get it.

Some GMs would say killing Mayans in the academy was wrong and would get you banned others would not.

February 2013:
GMs had no idea when or of Funcom was working on letting people at their game again. (The devs weren't talking about the literal game breaking bug Issue 6 patched into the game for months so I hassled GMs)

Launch of Tokyo:
There's a rare mob that drops a piece of lore. It's supposed to fall from a bridge down onto you, get murdered, and give it to you. Well the bridge was hosed and wouldn't spawn things. One GM told me I was doing it wrong. But wouldn't come check my instance to prove it was broken. Not even an hour later I did a /petition again and that GM said it was a known bug and not working. Raiser posted a thread about that on the Funcom forums and it got locked before anyone could answer why GMs never have the information the need.

Rhan can probably tell you some good horror stories of the GM life since he was one. But yeah, never rely on GMs. There's a dev forum for the testlive server. I don't believe you need to be subbed to post there. That's where you want to report bugs and errors. They dev team will still argue but give them step by step points on how to recreate bugs and you can actually get change to happen. Were it not for me the anti-aggro field around Drogan in carp fangs would still be broken.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

GEMorris posted:

The last three posts are a beta reunion. Just need drinkfist to chime in.

He's being chain probated for his drunken and offensively worded opinions about really bad games (aka being Drinkfist) so I wouldn't count on him posting. He's probably sitting there reading this with a fifth of Jack and mumbling something about goddamn Joel Bylos.

Edit: I did reinstall though... God help me.

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 23:16 on May 10, 2015

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Well, at least the writing is still good, and its nice to see that my lore suspicions were mostly correct. I'd say issue 11 is worth it if you're invested in the story at all.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I've started replaying this with a new character after not touching it for like, a year, at least. Are the new issues intended to be played after you've finished the original story quests, or are they a separate story?

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

They continue it for the most part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I've started replaying this with a new character after not touching it for like, a year, at least. Are the new issues intended to be played after you've finished the original story quests, or are they a separate story?

Unless they have some undocumented scaling mechanic, I think they're QL10 stuff.

• Locked thread