Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
itt the regular morons demonstrate that the concept of a number line is beyond them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Geriatric Pirate posted:

hmmm I think youre correct, $30 is closer to $11 than $100 therefore what could go wrong?

How much time have you spent living on American minimum wage, honky?

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Effectronica posted:

How much time have you spent living on American minimum wage, honky?

Post Count
Post Rate
13.24 per day

Man must be tough working a minimum wage job (like 3% of Americans) and posting so much, how do you manage?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Post Count
Post Rate
13.24 per day

Man must be tough working a minimum wage job (like 3% of Americans) and posting so much, how do you manage?

OK, that's "zero hours", you and your catamites can shut up now.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
it's weird that you would point out that someone who likes to argue on an internet forum has a lot of posts on that forum as an insult

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Popular Thug Drink posted:

it's weird that you would point out that someone who likes to argue on an internet forum has a lot of posts on that forum as an insult

you don't see the irony in someone who basically lives on this forum (edit: and has spent at least $30 on his account) posting something along the lines of "you don't know what it's like to be a minimum wage worker in america?"

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Geriatric Pirate posted:

you don't see the irony in someone who basically lives on this forum posting something along the lines of "you don't know what it's like to be a minimum wage worker in america?"

you can't be this stupid

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Geriatric Pirate posted:

you don't see the irony in someone who basically lives on this forum (edit: and has spent at least $30 on his account) posting something along the lines of "you don't know what it's like to be a minimum wage worker in america?"

that's not irony. dont use words if you dont know what they mean

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Geriatric Pirate posted:

I know it takes you ten minutes to write a sentence, but I spend probably half an hour a day posting, maybe an hour if I'm closely following a thread.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Effectronica posted:

I know it takes you ten minutes to write a sentence, but I spend probably half an hour a day posting, maybe an hour if I'm closely following a thread.

youve posted on this thread roughly every half an hour for the past 4 hours, and thats not counting all your posts elsewhere

edit: youve posted about 200 times since I last posted your post count (yesterday or the day before)

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Geriatric Pirate posted:

youve posted on this thread roughly every half an hour for the past 4 hours, and thats not counting all your posts elsewhere

maybe you can insinuate that his mother is fat, that will surely get him to stop posting

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Geriatric Pirate posted:

edit: youve posted about 200 times since I last posted your post count (yesterday or the day before)

You're pathetically slow, you arthritic pile of Alzheimer's.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

maybe you can insinuate that his mother is fat, that will surely get him to stop posting

Im suggesting that maybe the shutin who posts on these forums all day doesn't know much about the lives of minimum wage workers

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Im suggesting that maybe the shutin who posts on these forums all day doesn't know much about the lives of minimum wage workers

dont sign your posts

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

dont sign your posts

decided to check your profile:

Post Count
Post Rate
12.43 per day

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
i also enjoy, posting

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

oh no post counts, our arguments are instantly invalid!

curses foiled again

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
please dont check my profile again, it is a violation of my privacy as an individual

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Geriatric Pirate posted:

decided to check your profile:

Post Count
Post Rate
12.43 per day

I hope you suffer a heart attack from seeing a Lebanese man walking behind you.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

its pretty impressive how strong of a play Geriatric Pirate is making for dumbest poster itt after asf32 revealed that he hasn't passed 5th grade math

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Raskolnikov38 posted:

its pretty impressive how strong of a play Geriatric Pirate is making for dumbest poster itt after asf32 revealed that he hasn't passed 5th grade math

Post Count
Post Rate
3.19 per day
Last Post
May 8, 2015 12:31 PM

:dogbutton:

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Raskolnikov38 posted:

oh no post counts, our arguments are instantly invalid!

curses foiled again

Just pointing out that "you don't know what it's like living on the minimum wage" kind of loses its impact when its coming from shutins who are making enough money on disability/from their parents/trading stocks online/from their jobs that they can afford to post all day and spend money buying pictures for their forum accounts

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
I've been thinking about minimum wage change to $15/ hr quite a lot because I own a small business with 4 employees who make from $9-$12/hr.

if the minimum wage went to $15 tomorrow we probably wouldn't go out of business, and we probably wouldn't lay anyone off. I hire the number of people I need to make the business work, not a number of people based on some arbitrary spending limit for labor. I don't have any superfluous employees because whether they are getting $8 or $15 if I'm paying someone I don't need then that's less money in my pocket.

If min wage did go to $15 then I would probably have to raise prices, but then so would my competition, so it would be pretty much a zero sum game for me. Since my customers are mostly very high earners, a min wage increase would be a (clumsy) method of wealth redistribution which I feel is a really good thing.

The only major concern I have is that the market will be slow to adjust and I find myself raising prices before a broad range of companies also raise prices thus changing consumer expectations. I don't think anyone is suggesting raising the min wage to $15 in one immediate step, however.

Whenever his discussion comes up I am always amused at the vitriol of the $14/ hr earners pissed off that the people they think they are better than will make the same as them. It reminds of the biblical parable of the workers' wages in matt 20:1-16. Jesus would have been for the $15 min wage.

I even had a discussion with an employee of mine who makes 11/hr and did not want the minimum wage to go to $15/hr because then he would be making the same as McDonald's employees. I was struck by the irony that he found making the same wage as a McDonald's employee more objectionable than I found writing bigger paychecks each week. When bought this up he asked if I would pay him $19/hr if min wage went to $15. At first I was like " lol no" but then I thought about it. If I can charge just a few % more for my products based on the increased demand from a rather large consumer base suddenly being able to afford more than just the bare nessecities to live them then I could pay him $19/hr. It might take a while because these causes and effects are always really elastic, but I think it would be a net win for my employees and I. Also, I've lost a couple of my best employees to jobs that paid more over the past year. If the min wage is $15 then employers are on a level playing field and low skilled workers won't be bouncing around From job to job chasing an extra $1 an hr. This will save money and time training etc.

The only real losers will be the high volume low margin retailers but they are already exploiting workers up their supply chain anyhow, and we are going need to wean our economy off of cheap consumer goods produced by our de facto colonies at some point.

I'm am not an economist so I might have made some really absurd conclusions, but I have started two small businesses and managed several, so that's how I see it.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Just pointing out that "you don't know what it's like living on the minimum wage" kind of loses its impact when its coming from shutins who are making enough money on disability/from their parents/trading stocks online/from their jobs that they can afford to post all day and spend money buying pictures for their forum accounts

well apparently the cure for poverty is a SA forums account as no SA poster has ever been poor before or during posting here

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Spending five dollars on luxuries? N-nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo....

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Leroy Diplowski posted:

I've been thinking about minimum wage change to $15/ hr quite a lot because I own a small business with 4 employees who make from $9-$12/hr.

if the minimum wage went to $15 tomorrow we probably wouldn't go out of business, and we probably wouldn't lay anyone off. I hire the number of people I need to make the business work, not a number of people based on some arbitrary spending limit for labor. I don't have any superfluous employees because whether they are getting $8 or $15 if I'm paying someone I don't need then that's less money in my pocket.

If min wage did go to $15 then I would probably have to raise prices, but then so would my competition, so it would be pretty much a zero sum game for me. Since my customers are mostly very high earners, a min wage increase would be a (clumsy) method of wealth redistribution which I feel is a really good thing.

The only major concern I have is that the market will be slow to adjust and I find myself raising prices before a broad range of companies also raise prices thus changing consumer expectations. I don't think anyone is suggesting raising the min wage to $15 in one immediate step, however.

Whenever his discussion comes up I am always amused at the vitriol of the $14/ hr earners pissed off that the people they think they are better than will make the same as them. It reminds of the biblical parable of the workers' wages in matt 20:1-16. Jesus would have been for the $15 min wage.

I even had a discussion with an employee of mine who makes 11/hr and did not want the minimum wage to go to $15/hr because then he would be making the same as McDonald's employees. I was struck by the irony that he found making the same wage as a McDonald's employee more objectionable than I found writing bigger paychecks each week. When bought this up he asked if I would pay him $19/hr if min wage went to $15. At first I was like " lol no" but then I thought about it. If I can charge just a few % more for my products based on the increased demand from a rather large consumer base suddenly being able to afford more than just the bare nessecities to live them then I could pay him $19/hr. It might take a while because these causes and effects are always really elastic, but I think it would be a net win for my employees and I. Also, I've lost a couple of my best employees to jobs that paid more over the past year. If the min wage is $15 then employers are on a level playing field and low skilled workers won't be bouncing around From job to job chasing an extra $1 an hr. This will save money and time training etc.

The only real losers will be the high volume low margin retailers but they are already exploiting workers up their supply chain anyhow, and we are going need to wean our economy off of cheap consumer goods produced by our de facto colonies at some point.

I'm am not an economist so I might have made some really absurd conclusions, but I have started two small businesses and managed several, so that's how I see it.

So you think that if you and your competitors all increase prices, rich people will still buy the same amount of stuff? (not saying it necessarily isn't true, but it doesn't sound that plausible)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yes I can't imagine what a person making min wage would think on this topic.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Effectronica posted:

Spending five dollars on luxuries? N-nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo....

Your half an hour is up by the way.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Geriatric Pirate posted:

it's pretty weird to accuse someone who posts on the same internet forum as you of being a shutin, it's like claiming to be the least nerdy kid on the special ed bus

i think mainly you're just emotionally upset that your arguments are so easily deflated and you're lashing out in a goofy and laughable way, perhaps proving that your accusations of being a shutin are in part projection of your own fears of being labeled as socially awkward

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

euphronius posted:

Yes I can't imagine what a person making min wage would think on this topic.

Probably depends on whether they're one of the minimum wage workers who will see their wages increase or one of the minimum wage workers who gets fired

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Probably depends on whether they're one of the minimum wage workers who will see their wages increase or one of the minimum wage workers who gets fired

You are so dumb

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

it's pretty weird to accuse someone who posts on the same internet forum as you of being a shutin, it's like claiming to be the least nerdy kid on the special ed bus

i think mainly you're just emotionally upset that your arguments are so easily deflated and you're lashing out in a goofy and laughable way, perhaps proving that your accusations of being a shutin are in part projection of your own fears of being labeled as socially awkward

Remember how you (or someone) said that a $100 minimum wage is completely different from a $15 minimum wage?

Well, 0.5 posts per day is completely different from 13 posts per day.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Your half an hour is up by the way.

That's the physical time spent typing words at a mentally handicapped Finn who has never held a job in the age of personal computers.

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Remember how you (or someone) said that a $100 minimum wage is completely different from a $15 minimum wage?

Case in point.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Leroy Diplowski posted:

this post is a small but appreciated respite from the barrage of guys tripping over themselves piling out of the clown car to tell everyone how much money they make, so thanks for that buddy.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Geriatric Pirate posted:

it's pretty cool how you think this is some kind of amazing burn, and keep using it. at the risk of explaining the joke, thanks

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
do they not have desk jobs over there in the land of the Peninsular Demi-Germans or something???? idg how post count reflects on anything

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
personally, i'm so cool and rich and have so much sex i don't even have an account here. hell, i buy other people accounts. i have negative posts. i am the greatest

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

paranoid randroid posted:

do they not have desk jobs over there in the land of the Peninsular Demi-Germans or something???? idg how post count reflects on anything

im pretty sure the economy of swamp russians is based on staring wistfully at war memorials covered in lichen and stale vomit

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
like does the labor hierarchy go Minimum Wage Reindeer Wrangler --> Middle Class Corporate Guy without any inbetweens. explain your bizarre culture, nord

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
please dont post too often, internet credbility is a zero-sum game and you wouldn't want to squander your alloted ration of good thoughts on this mongol filth

• Locked thread