Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Pleads posted:

Or do this if literally nobody (LITERALLY NOBODY, C'MON COLUMBUS) is covering you:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2MgZfinYLM

This is always the case and the correct answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I'm looking for a new helmet and don't mind dropping the cash for high end models, especially if they offer more protection. Anyone recommendations? Are models like Bauer's Re-Akt or CCM's Resistance worth it?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Most of the leagues I play in don't have anyone being complete douchebags and risking injuring people or fighting or whatever, so aside from that I'm not sure if there's anything worse than a team that can't at least joke around about how badly they're blowing you out.

Splinter posted:

I'm looking for a new helmet and don't mind dropping the cash for high end models, especially if they offer more protection. Anyone recommendations? Are models like Bauer's Re-Akt or CCM's Resistance worth it?

I got an Easton E700 for ~40 on eBay, retails for a gently caress of a lot more and it is comfortable. The pads can be changed out for cheap if you're worried about them smelling.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Splinter posted:

I got a helmet off tron for like $17 shipped and it was the best one in some test wherein it was proved the more expensive the helmet the worse it was.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Here's the recent VT helmet tests http://www.beam.vt.edu/helmet/helmets_hockey.php

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

sellouts posted:

Most of the leagues I play in don't have anyone being complete douchebags and risking injuring people

I play against these people :(

e:

Thanks for this. Looks like the Warrior Krown 360 is the way to go.

e2: maybe I will just wear a football helmet :v:

Splinter fucked around with this message at 19:40 on May 7, 2015

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

bewbies posted:

I got a helmet off tron for like $17 shipped and it was the best one in some test wherein it was proved the more expensive the helmet the worse it was.

Not entirely true, the Reebok that did well is not cheap. Speaking of which, my R$$k is comfy but I'm really not too happy with the amount of poo poo that randomly falls/peels off of it. Cage-related screws are my fault, but various little non-functional bits have disappeared. I sincerely expect the end of life for this helmet to be just taking it out of the bag before a game and discovering the tightener ratchet thingie broke off or something. I usually only play twice a week so I'm a little surprised.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Thanks to absurd repeat viewings because it's on 10 times a game on CBC, I've noticed two things about Molson's Anything For Hockey commercial:

1. The How To Hockey guy features in it by being a lily-white dangler and also shoving a dude into a snowbank

2. This guy is the luckiest random guy in the world:

Never stop beer leaguing.

Also I need a drat shooting/stickhandling pad.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I don't understand why that is such a big deal. Who did he sub for?

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Pleads posted:

Also I need a drat shooting/stickhandling pad.

Same. My possession blows and I definitely fall into that "oh god I have the puck! Uhhh, do something with it, QUICK!" category cause I'm still not entirely comfortable handling anywhere but off to the side. On the flip side of that: It was kinda awesome last night to see this guy in my scrimmage who's early to mid 50's and is possibly the slowest skater in the entire ~44 person class yet no one could get the puck from him. He'd just put-put-put along and have 2 dudes all over him the whole way and he was just like "nope..." :allears:

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Hockles posted:

I don't understand why that is such a big deal. Who did he sub for?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifDa20d8zq8

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Pleads shooting pads don't work at the beach bro :hellyeah:

Duke Chin posted:

Same. My possession blows and I definitely fall into that "oh god I have the puck! Uhhh, do something with it, QUICK!" category cause I'm still not entirely comfortable handling anywhere but off to the side.

Being a better skater is going to help you at this point more than a shooting pad imo. You need to put yourself in position and be comfortable with your head up. Mechanics of passing is easy. Seeing is hard.

I mean work on it all but idk, just my take. I guess practicing everything is the way to go

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

After All The Prosaic Waiting... The Sun Finally Crashes Into The Earth.
So the French Canadian guy, who was on my team a year and a half ago, who brought Cold Shots to my first beer league game ever, is on my team again this season. He recognized me, and said I had "very improved".

I guess there's no more to that story, just felt good to know I've been making progress all this time. :) We lost 3-2, but it was a close game, and I don't think they'll be shaking the teams up too much after preseason.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

sellouts posted:

Pleads shooting pads don't work at the beach bro :hellyeah:

?

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
Woah woah woah.

There was a time people watched hockey in person that wasn't the NHL.... and it was outdoors and on concrete WITH A BANKED AREA BEHIND THE NET?!?!?!?!

:psyboom::psyboom::psyboom::psyboom::psyboom::psyboom:

edit: do adrenaline not drugs

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

In fairness I'm pretty sure it coincided with the 94-95 lockout but at the same time the idea was :krad:

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Nitramster posted:

Woah woah woah.

There was a time people watched hockey in person that wasn't the NHL.... and it was outdoors and on concrete WITH A BANKED AREA BEHIND THE NET?!?!?!?!

:psyboom::psyboom::psyboom::psyboom::psyboom::psyboom:

edit: do adrenaline not drugs

It was also possible to score 2 goals on one shot

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
Ugh, just gonna vent. Lost the season opener with one of my teams last night 6-5. It was a good game - tied or a one goal differential until the last few minutes when they went up by two, then three with an empty netter, then we managed two in the last minute with the goalie pulled, but not enough. Our goalie let up 2 or 3 bad, stoppable goals, but that's not what I wanted to vent about. I did some quick math, and between my two teams so far this preseason/season, we've allowed around twenty goals - and I've been on the ice for maybe 2 or 3 of them (and at least 2/3s of our GF). Six against last night and I was on for zero. And I play defense which means I'm on the ice at least half the game. This is usually something I can take positives away from, but it got especially frustrating in this game because it just felt like every time I got off the ice, the other team scored, which made me press harder than I should have and try to do too much. Blah. Okay vent done.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
I legit have a pair of V Forms laying around somewhere too from that poo poo. Oh PBH you played with a ball and it was awful and yet so awesome.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
At a certain point in rec sports you really have to not worry about the score and just worry about your own contribution. Winning feels great, and a desire to win should fuel every player on your team, but the only thing you can control is your own play. I played on a soccer team this year that went 0-22-2, and a few years ago I played on a ball hockey team that won one game in 2 seasons. If you want to continue to extract pleasure out of situations like that you really have no choice but to focus on your own shifts, your own effort levels, and your own improvement.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I had a really weird thing happen last night at pick up. We going for a puck when one of the older players, I think he's into his 70s, had a wild swing caught be dead center of the helmet. Didn't hit any thing other than my helmet. But gently caress if it didn't ring my ears pretty badly. Had to stop for a second because I was afraid of my balance. What's really odd is the swing wasn't hard or anything, didn't move my head at all. I think it just hit the perfect spot to resonate or some such.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

It's a goddamn shame they can't cut ice like this.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

It's a goddamn shame they can't cut ice like this.

I swear this is something out of Mutant League Hockey. Needs more holes in the ground and spikes on the boards.

Also I enjoy the dated-ness of the picture, seeing the "extreme" logo of ESPN2.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Habibi posted:

Ugh, just gonna vent. Lost the season opener with one of my teams last night 6-5. It was a good game - tied or a one goal differential until the last few minutes when they went up by two, then three with an empty netter, then we managed two in the last minute with the goalie pulled, but not enough. Our goalie let up 2 or 3 bad, stoppable goals, but that's not what I wanted to vent about. I did some quick math, and between my two teams so far this preseason/season, we've allowed around twenty goals - and I've been on the ice for maybe 2 or 3 of them (and at least 2/3s of our GF). Six against last night and I was on for zero. And I play defense which means I'm on the ice at least half the game. This is usually something I can take positives away from, but it got especially frustrating in this game because it just felt like every time I got off the ice, the other team scored, which made me press harder than I should have and try to do too much. Blah. Okay vent done.

This is part of why I hate playing D: if I'm not on the ice for the goals against, I'm stressed out. If I'm on the ice for goals against, I'm ashamed.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

calandryll posted:

I had a really weird thing happen last night at pick up. We going for a puck when one of the older players, I think he's into his 70s, had a wild swing caught be dead center of the helmet. Didn't hit any thing other than my helmet. But gently caress if it didn't ring my ears pretty badly. Had to stop for a second because I was afraid of my balance. What's really odd is the swing wasn't hard or anything, didn't move my head at all. I think it just hit the perfect spot to resonate or some such.

Now you can appreciate why head contact is such a big loving deal. It doesn't take much to inflict trauma.. force of the blow isn't the only issue. It's hundreds or thousands of those light taps that research is suggesting has a major impact on brain function later in life.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Plebs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LX2Mu3wjoPg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18XWT047ec8

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

My favorite part is A: 90's hair and B: the aspect ratio is hosed up on both of those videos... Kids these days have no idea wtf 4x3 is. :corsair:
Goddamn watching this makes me want to break out my hypercolor shirt and jorts - maybe get that sweet shaved-underneath-but-long-on-top haircut.

sellouts posted:

Being a better skater is going to help you at this point more than a shooting pad imo. You need to put yourself in position and be comfortable with your head up. Mechanics of passing is easy. Seeing is hard.

I mean work on it all but idk, just my take. I guess practicing everything is the way to go
Oh totally, I'm never not going to be working on my feet and I definitely need to up my conditioning - just here in Seattle the ice is all spaced out weird (everything in the burbs, nothing in the city) so it'd be nice to have something at home to practice stick handling in my periphery... like the whiteboard with bungees mentioned earlier. I just have to borrow someone w/ a bigger car so I can get the whole 8x4 sheet home. :v:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

HDPE rolls, order that and make the board at home

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

calandryll posted:

I had a clearing pass deflect off a teammate's stick and hit me hard just above the cage today, same thing. It made a super loud noise that made my ears ring and I was definitely stunned for a sec. Shook my head and finished my shift.

I'm not one of those "I score hat tricks game in, game out" guys. I have maybe 30 goals across 130-ish games in various leagues. Tonight I scored probably my favorite ever.

My center forechecked hard, pressuring the opposing dman behind the goal line while I lingered in the high slot. Center stole the puck, immediately fed me a perfect pass. I actually looked up before shooting, something I've only recently been able to do regularly. Put it in off the goalie's shoulder high glove side from about twenty feet.

I also grabbed a primary assist on a saucer pass over two defensemen's sticks, and screened a goalie on a point shot goal. I probably had eight shots on goal, way more than I ever get. To top it off, we won 8-4, with my goal being the first. Easily one of my best games ever. Hooray hockey.

Something I've really been working on lately is shooting through the legs of a defenseman retreating from me as I carry the puck. A goalie on one of the teams I played for one yelled at me for backing straight toward him away from a rushing forward, since he can't see the shooter or know where the shot is coming from. Ever since then I've been trying to work it into my game. Haven't scored on one yet but I almost always get the shot through for a good chance.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

prom candy posted:

At a certain point in rec sports you really have to not worry about the score and just worry about your own contribution. Winning feels great, and a desire to win should fuel every player on your team, but the only thing you can control is your own play. I played on a soccer team this year that went 0-22-2, and a few years ago I played on a ball hockey team that won one game in 2 seasons. If you want to continue to extract pleasure out of situations like that you really have no choice but to focus on your own shifts, your own effort levels, and your own improvement.

True. The team I'm on now was coming off a "perfect season" where they went 0-25-0 when my friend and I joined it the following year. It was about halfway through the season when we got on and we managed to get to 0-23-2. Now a few years later we win 5-8 games a season which is still a losing record but the core of the team is roughly the same which means we've really improved. Plus hockey night is the best night of the week so its usually fun even if we lose. There is one team in our league that if things aren't going perfectly well for them they get so pissy. Yelling at each other, yelling at the refs, yelling at the other team. I swear I've never seen so many guys hate playing hockey that play every week.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Yeah, honestly hockey is just straight up fun so I don't care if I lose every game this season. If you want to play a game where you're just going to get upset when you lose why not stay home and play Dota, it's a lot cheaper.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.
If I remember right some of you guys play through Stinky Socks around Boston and I'm about to hit a big lull in my hockey schedule and was going to start playing a little of the no commitment games in Quincy and was wondering if anybody had anything good or bad to say about it. I've never played through Stinky Socks or in the rink I'm looking at so any kind of advice would be beneficial.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.
Man, I love these holidays that people prioritize above hockey. My 3-game weekend has just become a 5-game weekend.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

prom candy posted:

Yeah, honestly hockey is just straight up fun so I don't care if I lose every game this season. If you want to play a game where you're just going to get upset when you lose why not stay home and play Dota, it's a lot cheaper.

Forwards that are always cherry picking and floating back to get on D will start reminding me of hard carries bitching about supports now. Got one of these on my team and it's pretty annoying.

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001

bigbillystyle posted:

If I remember right some of you guys play through Stinky Socks around Boston and I'm about to hit a big lull in my hockey schedule and was going to start playing a little of the no commitment games in Quincy and was wondering if anybody had anything good or bad to say about it. I've never played through Stinky Socks or in the rink I'm looking at so any kind of advice would be beneficial.

I'm playing in the 6:40 one on Sundays, Quincy Youth Arena, and may pop in to the C/D one once in a while. QYA is kind of a shithole compared to some of the other rinks around, but it is qunicy after all https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dopXFXHLhSY&t=52s

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We won our one game of the season last night, with 9 skaters. Only reason we won (the opponents were the #1 team in this division) was because they only had 7. :v:

My legs were noodles by the end of it, I must be getting weaker because I've done 9 man games in the past and wasn't that gassed in the third. Time to ramp up the workouts or something.

This one huge dude had a howizter of a slapshot and I always seemed to end up on the same side as him.. blocked at least three shots and he took a few more than that. Every time I saw him wind up I swear I was about to die.

One of my own guys also took a shot with me screening their goalie, it was headed straight for my knee. Lifted that foot and it whizzed right past and into the net. That poo poo is too much godddamn fun, helping teammates score.

xzzy fucked around with this message at 21:46 on May 10, 2015

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

This is pretty great:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F_S4XsDHXQ&t=160s

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Those are the same Norwegian guys who did that with Soccer, right? And also I think played a soccer game where everyone was in those inflatable upper-body balls so they could haul rear end into each other and go bouncing away.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

It's been over two weeks now since our last game and I'm going through withdrawal. It's probably going to be another couple before spring/summer begins. I can't get to any open sessions because they're either at like 6am or on afternoons when I have schedule conflicts. And gently caress going to the Saturday night one and getting two shifts while dealing with nothing but danglers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, my league team has this weekend off and then a Friday/Saturday game to close out the season. No games sucks rear end.

But instructional league should start up Sunday so at least I'll get a skate in. Will probably be an evaluation based skate and a 20 minute scrimmage.