Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Tsaedje posted:

Am I too late to do lovely pyramids?

Welcome to Stockport!

I was going to write a history of the building but I thought the David Icke forums did a better job

That article refers to the Ganges; I'm pretty sure they meant the Nile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Spakstik posted:

Brutalism is the death metal of architecture, which itself is the anime of music.

Holy poo poo.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Spakstik posted:

Brutalism is the death metal of architecture, which itself is the anime of music.

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx

Spakstik posted:

Good point, I hate Brutalism now.

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP

nigga crab pollock posted:

also not really a failure or anything but i live in springfield missouri and the skyline here is loving hilarious. there's tons of flat and cheap land around here so there aren't many tall buildings, except for these three

from the left, a dorm building built in the 70s that is filled with middle eastern exchange students, the big rear end black monolith named after and built by Our Local Patriarch, and probably the only "high rise" apartment in a 600 mile radius. no, that's not an office building, that's an apartment.

*throws bone into air*

What up Springfield bro? I know you aren't hating on the Darth Vader building, it's great.

What you should be hating on is AG's HQ:

The blue is even more God awful and 70s in person. In the wide shot you can see some pretty cool churches literally next door. Also the causeway there goes over a road because why not?

Roy
Sep 24, 2007
Concrete surface > surface slathered in cheap paint

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Tianzi hotel in Langfang China....hahahahhaa

These look like Chinese versions of those midwestern statues of Paul Bunyan.

zanraptora
Jul 17, 2014
And a rare few people who actually like textural elements on their buildings?

Brutalism can look fabulous when you deviate from the strict "grey concrete only" definition that gets pushed in this thread.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
Brutalism can never be understood by American idiots who grew up in stupid tiny wooden houses. If like me you were born in a Brutalist hospital tower, have fond memories of playing in your cathedral city's Brutalist water fountain (sadly since removed), and learnt to drive navigating around its Brutalist mulistory car parks you'd truly understand the power of pure concrete on the individual who stands before it measuring himself unequal to its pure gigantic force. Du mußt dein Leben ändern.

snuggle baby luvs hugs
Aug 30, 2005
lol some of the best examples of brutalism in this thread have been American you maroon

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014

Authentic You posted:

is like a stubby and bad version of PPG Place (which is awesome):

The corners inside that thing are useless floor-to-ceiling crooked nooks in which you could maybe fit a potted plant or a kitty litter box. I'm sure their janitors are well paid, but I bet they hate that place.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

never trust an elf posted:

lol some of the best examples of brutalism in this thread have been American you maroon

Technically pre-brutalism but close enough:

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Senor Gato posted:

Google "brutalism"... :wtc: is this cunting hipster bullshit.

Edit: It's like the architectural version of aids.

The main problem with brutalism is that it's a great excuse for huge, cheap, blocks of concrete with little energy put into the design. At its best it can be elegant, and even the ugly brutalist buildings are more often than not perfectly reasonable places to do whatever they were designed for.

That said, I'd be happy with recycling a lot of the 70s concrete boxes as gravel.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 16:28 on May 8, 2015

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
One of the best, and least known, examples of Brutalism remains the Hotel Blau Valadero in Cuba.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUCYu5BY9fg

cloudchamber fucked around with this message at 17:09 on May 8, 2015

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Spakstik posted:

I like all of these things sometimes because there are enjoyable examples of all in this world.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
this city is brought to you by, the Letter H.

Seriously never understood this building.

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

Computer viking posted:

The main problem with brutalism is that it's a great excuse for huge, cheap, blocks of concrete with little energy put into the design. At its best it can be elegant, and even the ugly brutalist buildings are more often than not perfectly reasonable places to do whatever they were designed for.
Actually almost all of them are leaky, unnavigable, dark, dank hovels of concrete-rot dogshit IRL. They can look cool in photographs but so does the Rio Tinto - doesn't mean I'm going swimming in it any time soon.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Marshmallow Blue posted:

I'll see your H and raise you an M.

The M is also an elephant.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
You sir are incorrect.

That is obviously a duck.

A duck with three legs.

Okay it's an M with a duck face.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Angela Christine posted:

IT duck.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Thwomp posted:

You sir are incorrect.

A duck with three legs.

It's a sideways 8 with a duck face

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
I hope someone at Toho Studios set design consults this thread when making little the buildings for Godzilla to smash. Though Godzilla may befriend the Mduck building.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

exspurt analcyst posted:

I hope someone at Toho Studios set design consults this thread when making little the buildings for Godzilla to smash. Though Godzilla may befriend the Mduck building.

Can we get a M-Duck VS Godzilla gif?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Thwomp posted:

You sir are incorrect.

A duck with three legs.

:brutal:

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Angela Christine posted:

It's a four-legged duck with a beard.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
I thought that building was the "Elephant and Castle"

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

YellerBill posted:

Huntsville, Alabama is like that. There's a banking building, an old newspaper building, and a generic office building and then nothing else is more than five stories tall (if even that high) for miles around, except for one random church belltower on the edge of downtown.

e: vvvvv the Saturn V's not really "downtown" though (the replica Saturn V that's actually vertical is :krad: though)

Blame the historical society or whoever's behind historic preservation things. Large towers in the downtown area would "take away from the core area's unique aesthetic," so those guys want the downtown area to be frozen in time.

Nevermind how the county bulldozed a perfectly good building:

And, in it's place, built this:

Progress! :v:

90s Solo Cup fucked around with this message at 02:08 on May 9, 2015

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

joat mon posted:

It's a four-legged duck with a beard.

Oh my god, it's Emduck!

Marshmallow Blue posted:

And this is a washboard.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 05:30 on May 9, 2015

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Lol it's doremon

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I'm Crap posted:

Actually almost all of them are leaky, unnavigable, dark, dank hovels of concrete-rot dogshit IRL. They can look cool in photographs but so does the Rio Tinto - doesn't mean I'm going swimming in it any time soon.

I guess we've had different luck - most of the ones I've been in have been boring but functional.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
All of the talk of archetechs ruining old museums with crazy additions made me think of the old Museum of Science and Industry building in LA. About 20 years ago, LA decided to build do a major remodel and expansion.

And, here is what it looks like now, when you get there

Oh wait, you probably want a shot from the of the face in the first picture

Some architect actually managed to do one of those crazy and strange looking additions without killing the style of the original. And its laid out fairly sanely, so there isn't even a lot of space wasted on weird design BS

Bonus, here is the nearby Air and Space museum, with the addition designed by Frank Gehry

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 04:27 on May 10, 2015

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Living in Edmonton Alberta I've come to both love and hate Brutalism. During the 70's the city was booming and huge tracts of land were set aside for Brutalist structures. This wasn't just office buildings but shopping malls, apartment buildings and even playgrounds. I remember playing in a playground with no sand and nothing but big concrete triangles with large circular holes through them with ladders and wooden bridges. Even the art that was placed was Brutalist, composed of the remnants of construction. Out LRT stations downtown are all brutalist with colorful tiles and chandeliers but ugly.

Over time however I've come to like the style. While it looks imposing and barren, there's something that makes you feel secure with structure made of nothing of Gravel filled concrete and wood.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

The Glumslinger posted:

Bonus, here is the nearby Air and Space museum, with the addition designed by Frank Gehry

I think that's the first Frank Gehry building I've seen that doesn't look like melted poo poo. But it still looks like poo poo.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

CJacobs posted:

:brutal:

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Selfridges Department store in England:

And for good measure:

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Accretionist posted:

Selfridges Department store in England:

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

The Glumslinger posted:

It puts me in the mind of a (inverted) phased radar array, so kinda appropriate for a aerospace museum I guess.

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

Tarkus posted:

Living in Edmonton Alberta I've come to both love and hate Brutalism. During the 70's the city was booming and huge tracts of land were set aside for Brutalist structures. This wasn't just office buildings but shopping malls, apartment buildings and even playgrounds. I remember playing in a playground with no sand and nothing but big concrete triangles with large circular holes through them with ladders and wooden bridges. Even the art that was placed was Brutalist, composed of the remnants of construction. Out LRT stations downtown are all brutalist with colorful tiles and chandeliers but ugly.

Over time however I've come to like the style. While it looks imposing and barren, there's something that makes you feel secure with structure made of nothing of Gravel filled concrete and wood.

P.much this. Going to the U of A was an experience let me tell you. And I think the big fuckoff playground made of concrete, sand, and soaked with the blood of a million toddlers' skinned knees is still there in Hawrelak Park. I'll have to stop by there one of these days.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

C.M. Kruger posted:

It puts me in the mind of a (inverted) phased radar array, so kinda appropriate for a aerospace museum I guess.

RAF Fylingdales

Pretty weird to see the first time as it's sat right on top of barren moorland near Scarborough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MustelaFuro
May 6, 2007

Evolution: Reproduction of the fit enough.
This is the PatCenter. It looks like someone built a giant locker room around the skeleton of a gutted ship. It has won a bunch of awards too, apparently. I believe it is currently without occupants, if any of you happen to be looking for a "building".

MustelaFuro fucked around with this message at 01:08 on May 15, 2015

• Locked thread