Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Cactrot posted:

This but Deceiver Exarch/Pestermite.

I looked at all the things you can do with kiki/twin this set.

Mulldrifter, Pelakka Wurm, and Mystic Snake look like sweet targets. Faultgrinder and Aethersnipe seem reasonable too.

Also I'm fond of this Rishadan Port Posting (found by march)

Zoness fucked around with this message at 19:03 on May 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Starving Autist posted:

The middle isn't excluded, it's what we're getting.

Exactly, we're getting a set that demonstrates that you can strike a balance between draftability and good reprints and adding Serum Visions in place of whatever lovely blue common would not change that so it's really weird and annoying that the leap gets made from people asking "why were these handful of obvious choices excluded" to "well, obviously you just want a set of the 250 most expensive cards in Modern!" That's what I meant by excluded middle.

I'm not even sure you can list the 250 most expensive cards in Modern without getting down to cards whose price/supply is already eminently reasonable and therefore don't need to be reprinted ASAP. Especially if you omit the generic staples that will probably be in regular sets sooner rather than later, like the Zendikar fetches.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Also PAX party is in the annex this year instead of the club it's usually at :lol: Feeling less bad I wasn't around for the millisecond that tickets were available.

This actually sucks. The Showbox is a great venue for these kind of things, and I've always had fun at them. I will still probably go, but blah.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Zoness posted:

im the core set garbage in elementals. like what the gently caress cloud elemental and air servant go back to the fuckign core set.

At least Faerie Mechanist made it in I guess.

agony warp at uncommon :wtc:

:agreed: on Cloud Elemental, but Air Servant is super powerful and completely reasonable as a filler card. I'd 1st pick him all day in most limited formats.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

That's quite an impressive alter.

BattleCake
Mar 12, 2012

Dohaeris posted:

Goblin Guide may show up in Battle For Zendikar right?

Eagerly awaiting Son of Goblin Guide

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

No you see guys its MODERN Masters not Modern and Legacy Masters so obviously Goblin Guide isn't in it.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

BattleCake posted:

Eagerly awaiting Son of Goblin Guide
Goblin Guide 2: Lightning Strike Boogaloo

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

JerryLee posted:

Exactly, we're getting a set that demonstrates that you can strike a balance between draftability and good reprints and adding Serum Visions in place of whatever lovely blue common would not change that so it's really weird and annoying that the leap gets made from people asking "why were these handful of obvious choices excluded" to "well, obviously you just want a set of the 250 most expensive cards in Modern!" That's what I meant by excluded middle
The card you're looking for is "Telling Time", which is in this set as a common.

Also I agree 100% with you but I think people need to justify everything when it comes to this set for obvious reasons.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The real reason serum visions isn't in is because scry isn't in. They aren't doing NWO, but they were still careful not to put in a million one-off mechanics like time spiral had.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
It's not like Scry on a cantrip is hugely anti-NWO, though. It happens once and is done.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

cheetah7071 posted:

The real reason serum visions isn't in is because scry isn't in. They aren't doing NWO, but they were still careful not to put in a million one-off mechanics like time spiral had.

They cherrypicked cycles all over the place I don't think one-of keywords are really a concern here.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

they are reprinting tons of money rares who cares about one card

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Wezlar posted:

they are reprinting tons of money rares who cares about one card

At mythic.

Lol at people trying to justify why this set isn't garbage.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

cheetah7071 posted:

The set already has a million mechanics, just like MM1 did. It's not even slightly aimed at new players.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

mr. mephistopheles posted:

At mythic.

Lol at people trying to justify why this set isn't garbage at $10/pack.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Lol at people trying to justify why their expectations were realistic.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

At mythic.

Lol at people trying to justify why this set isn't garbage.

No offense but lol at your misguided attempt at "guess the reprint game" backfiring on you financially and coloring every post you make about the set. This set looks cool.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

MiddleEastBeast posted:

No offense but lol at your misguided at attempt at "guess the reprint game" backfiring on you financially and coloring every post you make about the set. This set looks cool.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Jokes on you guys since MM2015 is going to be a huge success.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Which Magic set wasn't a huge financial success for the parent company?

MTGO is a financial success!

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Spiderdrake posted:

Which Magic set wasn't a huge financial success for the parent company?

MTGO is a financial success!

Fallen Empires I think. Or maybe Homelands

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

MiddleEastBeast posted:

No offense but lol at your misguided attempt at "guess the reprint game" backfiring on you financially and coloring every post you make about the set. This set looks cool.

I've made literally two posts about the set and one was more or less a joke. I'm annoyed about Remand but I really don't care that much because I just saved $500 by not buying the two boxes I preordered because this set looks boring to draft and all the value is concentrated at mythic.

MM1 was great and I don't see why it was unreasonable to have high expectations considering the increased price per pack and the early spoilers being so solid.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I hate Modern Masters 2 with my life, they aren't reprinting the one card I wanted!!!

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

I've made literally two posts about the set and one was more or less a joke. I'm annoyed about Remand but I really don't care that much because I just saved $500 by not buying the two boxes I preordered because this set looks boring to draft and all the value is concentrated at mythic.

MM1 was great and I don't see why it was unreasonable to have high expectations considering the increased price per pack and the early spoilers being so solid.

I'm actually curious about this, I can't remember what the going rate was for MM1 boxes when it came out, but I've noticed that MM2015 seems to be selling at, or just barely above, retail. Do people think MM2015 really is going to be more expensive than MM1 was (except for the lucky few that actually found MM1 at MSRP, of course)? So far it looks to me like Wizards is making good on its promise to make MM2015 a much larger print run.

I also think it is way too early to make any judgments on how good the draft format is.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

No the draft format is bad because every pack should be worth $20 or more.

Look if you dislike Modern Masters 2 I don't know what to tell you, because it has Waxmane Baku which is significantly cooler than Goblin Guide or Damnation

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I get people's complaints about this set MSRP vs. EV, but I don't get complaints about this set vs. MM1. MM1 had just as much garbage jank, still didn't have Visions/Inquisition/Mindcensor, had Path but not Remand, and was missing cards like Hierarch and Fulminator Mage. It also had the most feel-bad Mythic cycle of all time in the dragons and such Modern all-stars as Earwig Squad, Adarkar Valkyrie, Greater Gargadon, Verdeloth the Ancient and Meloku the Clouded Mirror. Who can forget the thrill of cracking a pack selling for 2-3x MSRP and getting a Cold-Eyed Selkie or Death Cloud?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

To be fair the dragons were especially hilarious since some of them were worth an okay amount (close to MSRP for the packs, at least) but then big Jugan takes a hot dump in your mythic slot.

It is good they broke up the cycles this time.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

rabidsquid posted:

No the draft format is bad because every pack should be worth $20 or more.

Look if you dislike Modern Masters 2 I don't know what to tell you, because it has Waxmane Baku which is significantly cooler than Goblin Guide or Damnation

I sold my one copy of Damnation a bit ago, expecting a reprint in MM2015 :(. Now, not only do I not get to feel good about dumping a card before it tanks, but on top of that, I've realized I kind of want to own one still after all. I am not good at MtG finance.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I get people's complaints about this set MSRP vs. EV, but I don't get complaints about this set vs. MM1. MM1 had just as much garbage jank, still didn't have Visions/Inquisition/Mindcensor, had Path but not Remand, and was missing cards like Hierarch and Fulminator Mage. It also had the most feel-bad Mythic cycle of all time in the dragons and such Modern all-stars as Earwig Squad, Adarkar Valkyrie, Greater Gargadon, Verdeloth the Ancient and Meloku the Clouded Mirror. Who can forget the thrill of cracking a pack selling for 2-3x MSRP and getting a Cold-Eyed Selkie or Death Cloud?

Pyromancer's Swath

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

ShadeofBlue posted:

I sold my one copy of Damnation a bit ago, expecting a reprint in MM2015 :(. Now, not only do I not get to feel good about dumping a card before it tanks, but on top of that, I've realized I kind of want to own one still after all. I am not good at MtG finance.

You should only sell cards if you don't intend to use them. If you were going to want to keep Damnations is it really worth a risk to maybe make $25.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Actually

The "after degradation" assumes 85% value of the current TCGPlayer Low.

Edit: there's also a foil multiplier I cut out.

Edit edit: I didn't make this chart, I got it from another forum, which I can only assume got it from reddit - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/tzXmJjXy-PcmwQGhxiOWPkQ/htmlview#gid=0

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 23:16 on May 8, 2015

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I feel like if someone's going to make a spreadsheet of EV they should at least spell Degradation correctly.

Also 85% of TCG low is an interesting breakpoint like that's not really a buylist rate is it

Zoness fucked around with this message at 23:13 on May 8, 2015

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

I just got the PAX expansion for Slash, a game the is basically Cards Against Humanity but with slash fiction and I have a MTG related question.

The Serra Angel card is listed as being male up at the top of the card but the description clearly states that "she" is a "heroine". Is this a typo or is it some nerdy MTG in-joke?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Machai posted:

I just got the PAX expansion for Slash, a game the is basically Cards Against Humanity but with slash fiction and I have a MTG related question.

The Serra Angel card is listed as being male up at the top of the card but the description clearly states that "she" is a "heroine". Is this a typo or is it some nerdy MTG in-joke?

Seems like a typo. Definitely not an mtg joke.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Zoness posted:

I feel like if someone's going to make a spreadsheet of EV they should at least spell Degradation correctly.

Also 85% of TCG low is an interesting breakpoint like that's not really a buylist rate is it

Yeah if you're going to go to the effort of making a spreadsheet allow that percentage to be configurable :cmon:. (85% is laughable. For rares I expect buylist prices in 6 weeks to be 20-35% of todays tcglow)

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I mean I grabbed a playset of Goblin Guides for 60 because people were expecting that poo poo and I regret nothing.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

rabidsquid posted:

You should only sell cards if you don't intend to use them. If you were going to want to keep Damnations is it really worth a risk to maybe make $25.

I didn't intend to use it. Also, it's not like I risk much by selling it either. So I lost $10 or so, I'll live.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
All in all MM2 is a set of magic cards. Good thing. It has some really good stuff at mythic and that's about it. I will buy a box and draft it with my friends and then go collect the singles I need.

Don't pay above MSRP people. They are printing a poo poo ton of this thing. My LGS got 24 boxes of MM1 total last time. This time the first shipment is 96 boxes. If anyone over seas wants me to buy a box and ship it to them because they can't get it in their area for MSRP let me know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

ShadeofBlue posted:

I didn't intend to use it. Also, it's not like I risk much by selling it either. So I lost $10 or so, I'll live.

I think you should always move any cards you don't intend to use because I think that speculating on Magic cards is terrible and only ever results in positive EV if you don't value your own time, so :911:

• Locked thread