Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

radiatinglines posted:

The USB port on my nexus five was broken for a while. I just recently fixed it. While it was broken, I couldn't transfer music from my PC to my phone, so I decided to download the music I wanted from the Google play music cloud since I had already uploaded my collection.

Since Google changes the extension of my files so that only the play music app can play them (basically stealing them from me), I have been using that.

Now that I've replaced my USB port, I can once again drag and drop my mp3s to the music folder, and since they haven't been ruined by Google, other apps can play them.

My problem is, I'd like to be able to switch back to Poweramp, but as I said, it can't read the Google downloaded music files on my phone. So to free up space / keep all my music in one readable folder, I'd like to delete what I downloaded from the Google play cloud.

Unfortunately, Google will not let me access the files when I plug my phone in to delete them. The only way that I can see now is to delete them through the play music app on my phone. However, I can only delete one song at a time this way, and it also deletes them from my uploaded play collection on the cloud for some reason.

Is there any way that I can access / mass delete these modified music files without rooting my phone?

For future reference, AirDroid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

So a bit of a long story, my S5 was rooted, and I wanted to update to the newest firmware.

Went through a few steps to try and clear the 'custom' firmware tag, so I could do an OTA update.

In the process I had to remove my SD card, which had lots of pictures on it, including ones I had taken that day, since re-inserting the SD card, it picks it up fine and is working for storage

But the pictures that I had taken before are not being seen by the phone, if I plug the phone into my PC I can browse the SD card and see the pictures sitting right there, but the phone doesn't see them.

Seems like an indexing problem of sorts, I can take a picture right now and it shows up on the SD Card, from the phone... but there are a few hundred MB of pictures sitting there not being seen

Suggestions?

:Edit: Well found a fix already!

http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon-galaxy-nexus/153157-gallery-isn-t-populating-images-sd-card-2.html#post2135921

Fixed it instantly

Blue On Blue fucked around with this message at 22:50 on May 7, 2015

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Variable_H posted:

I know the G3 doesn't support Quick Charge, but does LG have their own form of rapid charging or anything? Using even the standard charger on this thing is brutally slow sometimes.

Mine charges decently quickly, are you using a 2amp charger? Most old chargers will charge brutally slow.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Three Olives posted:

Mine charges decently quickly, are you using a 2amp charger? Most old chargers will charge brutally slow.

Charger brick says its a 1.8 amp charger and I'm using the LG provided cable. Sometimes it charges relatively fast, other times it seems it takes substantially longer. I'm at 27% right now, and its saying it'll take hours to get to 100%.

Edit: It finally said 3 hours to 100%.

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 23:00 on May 7, 2015

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Reverse Centaur posted:

The way the Nexus 6 took away easy phone mute is driving me crazy. My wife has an amazing ability to start texting me like crazy right as the client (essentially my boss) is near, making my watch and phone buzz incessantly, and making it look like i do nothing but text all day even though that was the first time I touched it.

I know there's a priority mode but guess what my wife is considered a priority. I actually have to give her times when she's not allowed to text instead of just putting it on silent like I used to.

Can't you set it on Vibrate or None instead of Priority?

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Say I wanted to buy a Moto X and use it on Verizon. Do I select the Verizon version, or the Pure version? What is the difference between the two? The screen on my Droid Maxx HD has a crack, and I'm thinking the 2015 X might be a good upgrade when it eventually hits. Assuming I can get similar battery life to the Maxx HD, because I'm rather enjoying not having to plug in at all during the day.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

PitViper posted:

Say I wanted to buy a Moto X and use it on Verizon. Do I select the Verizon version, or the Pure version? What is the difference between the two? The screen on my Droid Maxx HD has a crack, and I'm thinking the 2015 X might be a good upgrade when it eventually hits. Assuming I can get similar battery life to the Maxx HD, because I'm rather enjoying not having to plug in at all during the day.

If it doesn't say Verizon all over the phone, you can't use it on Verizon.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Comically enough, I've been studying casual interactions non-sperglords in social settings. Turns out most people have no idea about phone updates, and the few phones of people that did get them, hate how "they changed everything". Does Not Compute.

Normal people don't learn to use a computer, not really. They learn how to do things on a computer, so when that computer changes, they have to relearn the specific actions they had memorized.

You can see the same thing with Windows 8. It has problems, sure, but the start screen is essentially just a new format for the start menu - however, what most people can't get past is the start screen. I've showed a bunch of people the basics of W8 and how the start screen works, and invariably they don't mind the new stuff once it's explained.

Essentially, baby duck syndrome is a motherfucker.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Vykk.Draygo posted:

My Turbo doesn't have "Verizon" on it anywhere. :frogc00l:

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Variable_H posted:

Charger brick says its a 1.8 amp charger and I'm using the LG provided cable. Sometimes it charges relatively fast, other times it seems it takes substantially longer. I'm at 27% right now, and its saying it'll take hours to get to 100%.

Edit: It finally said 3 hours to 100%.

Download Ampere and see how fast it's actually charging. Your cable or brick might not be performing as expected.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Mine's only got one logo on the back, and it's pretty subdued - about 3/4" by 3/8" and grey on the dark turquoise back.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Mogomra posted:

My Turbo doesn't have "Verizon" on it anywhere. :frogc00l:

This. Also you can buy a Play Store N6 with no branding and use it on Verizon.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Download Ampere and see how fast it's actually charging. Your cable or brick might not be performing as expected.

I'm guessing this is less than optimal. Not entirely sure how to read this.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Variable_H posted:

That dismal

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Variable_H posted:

Time to try a new charger because it should be at least 400ma

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

An Apple iPad 10 watt charger is doing a much better job according to Ampere. Seems like an Amazon Kindle USB cable is doing better than the included LG cable was also. Maybe I just need to buy a new charger and cable? :shrug:

Edit: Even this one is dropping to 10 mA and just sitting there though. Is this possibly a phone defect?

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 04:41 on May 8, 2015

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Haha, nevermind, the reason it's only charging at a rate of 10 mA is because it's discharging at like 4500 mA for some loving reason.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

Reverse Centaur posted:

The way the Nexus 6 took away easy phone mute is driving me crazy. My wife has an amazing ability to start texting me like crazy right as the client (essentially my boss) is near, making my watch and phone buzz incessantly, and making it look like i do nothing but text all day even though that was the first time I touched it.

I know there's a priority mode but guess what my wife is considered a priority. I actually have to give her times when she's not allowed to text instead of just putting it on silent like I used to.

It's not a Nexus 6 thing, it's a Lollipop thing. As sort of mentioned a few posts back, the best way to deal with it is when you're looking at the volume slider, choose None and then either choose Indefinitely or assign it a certain number of hours. It's more trouble than it used to be, but it's probably less trouble than sending your wife a text every day saying "Ok, don't text me for the next two hours."

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Variable_H posted:

Haha, nevermind, the reason it's only charging at a rate of 10 mA is because it's discharging at like 4500 mA for some loving reason.

hahahahaha what the gently caress

Some app is eating your processor cycles.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Variable_H posted:

You shouldn't fold proteins on your phone while you charge, it's detrimental. (lol)

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Mooktastical posted:

You shouldn't fold proteins on your phone while you charge, it's detrimental. (lol)
They claim it will only run while the device is connected to a charger and the battery is at 100%, so...

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

nmfree posted:

They claim it will only run while the device is connected to a charger and the battery is at 100%, so...

This being a thing is way more funny than the thing I said. It's a worthy thing to throw processor cycles at, but what would possibly give anyone the notion that doing it on a phone is a good idea? No wonder Sony is selling the mobile division!

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Mooktastical posted:

I wish I was doing something that worthy of murdering process cycles in the background. Anyone have an app I can use to diagnose this? The standard battery info isn't being much help.

:lol:

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Hi everyone, just a couple of small questions for those of you in the know :)

I started to download the new Mortal Kombat game on my HTC One M8. The download completed, but when it started to 'download additional files' the phone told me that there was no more space. I now have the feeling that the game is taking up space somewhere on my phone, but since it never finished installing I can't see it anywhere. Is there any way I can find the incomplete file anywhere and get my space back?

On a similar note, I have an SD card with plenty of space. How can I set the phone to automatically save apps there instead of the main phone storage? The main storage has almost 8GB in 'other' which I assume is the OS, and 6GB in apps (which doesn't quite add up).

Thanks!

henpod fucked around with this message at 10:38 on May 8, 2015

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

They really need to do this, about time.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/05/07/rumor-google-planning-to-make-android-privacy-controls-more-granular/

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Variable_H posted:

I wish I was doing something that worthy of murdering process cycles in the background. Anyone have an app I can use to diagnose this? The standard battery info isn't being much help.

Nothing short of root will get that information, unfortunately.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Won't ever happen. Never, ever, ever, in a million years. Google is an ad company in the business of selling user data to their actual customers; why the hell would they deliberately make it easier for people to opt-out of the process like that?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Variable_H posted:

Google stuffed all the interesting battery information in system-only space (it's not enough to be rooted, the battery profiler itself has to be a system app as well) back in KitKat.

Also that ad at that moment has gotta sting.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

spincube posted:

Won't ever happen. Never, ever, ever, in a million years. Google is an ad company in the business of selling user data to their actual customers; why the hell would they deliberately make it easier for people to opt-out of the process like that?

This is a very wrong post. For one thing Google has always had a policy of never, ever selling user data. For another thing, many of the permissions controls have little or nothing to do with collecting user data.

Aspects of this change have been rumored / leaked for years now, it's clearly something Google has in fact been working on.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/05/08/huawei-made-nexus-reportedly-features-5-7-qhd-display-snapdragon-810-processor/

This'll be hilarious if it's true.

A Nexus with the Snapdragon 810..would anyone actually buy it? :v:

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

So my car quick charger is here and it's not bad. But I discovered the cable I was using is lovely, since it went in and out a bunch (charging and then not charging). When I used the cord that came with my wall charger it worked fine. The phone gets super hot with it but basically qc of any kind heats up pretty good.

I need a new cord. Any suggestions? There are about 4 million on Amazon alone. Normally I'd just go for a monoprice or Amazon basics or whatever but I don't know with qc if it makes a difference. The Motorola one is nice.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

ThermoPhysical posted:

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/05/08/huawei-made-nexus-reportedly-features-5-7-qhd-display-snapdragon-810-processor/

The 810 is fine if you're not running back-to-back benchmarks. The 5.7" screen on the other hand…

I guess my 5 will be fine for another year.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004

myron cope posted:

So my car quick charger is here and it's not bad. But I discovered the cable I was using is lovely, since it went in and out a bunch (charging and then not charging). When I used the cord that came with my wall charger it worked fine. The phone gets super hot with it but basically qc of any kind heats up pretty good.

I need a new cord. Any suggestions? There are about 4 million on Amazon alone. Normally I'd just go for a monoprice or Amazon basics or whatever but I don't know with qc if it makes a difference. The Motorola one is nice.

Just get the Amazon basics ones. Wirecutter actually did a writeup comparing charging abilities of different USB cables, and the Amazon was their #2 but also doesn't have the ferrite core to get in the way so I'd say it's the favourite.

Risket
Apr 3, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I guess this is the right place to ask this question.

Is there a way that I play the video content that I've purchased on iTunes on my Android devices?
I've done some Googling, and come up with a bunch of shady options. I tried DoubleTwist, but that seems to be music only, videos are more difficult.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Rastor posted:

This is a very wrong post. For one thing Google has always had a policy of never, ever selling user data.

Directly selling user data? No. Enabling the sale of .99 battery-life-embiggener apps that need to read your contacts, Wifi connections and your precise location, though?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Risket posted:

I guess this is the right place to ask this question.

Is there a way that I play the video content that I've purchased on iTunes on my Android devices?
I've done some Googling, and come up with a bunch of shady options. I tried DoubleTwist, but that seems to be music only, videos are more difficult.

I am pretty sure you need to remove the DRM and then maybe use VLC to play it? You could transfer via airdroid or something to the phone.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ThermoPhysical posted:

No one buys Nexuses, anyway, so there wouldn't really be a noticeable change.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

No one buys Nexuses, anyway, so there wouldn't really be a noticeable change.

That article justified my purchase of the Nexus 6, my mother owned a Nexus 5, lots of people love the Nexus 7, I've met people who used Nexus 4s as well.

In short: what?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

That article justified my purchase of the Nexus 6, my mother owned a Nexus 5, lots of people love the Nexus 7, I've met people who used Nexus 4s as well.

Unless you can find the sales or market share numbers somewhere, your anecdotal "I've seen x" doesn't really contradict Endless Mike at all :shrug: I do think Nexus 7 has sold well for tablets, but I really doubt the Nexus phones have gotten much of a foothold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

It's true. Nexus sales are laughably low in the grand scheme of things and it's only getting worse. Google just took a decent hit from Nexus operations this past quarter.