Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I didn't know half the guys when I started playing this game either but that doesn't really matter. It's not like it's some heavily story/character driven game. You play a character and blow poo poo up in droves. My favourite current character is Silver Surfer and all I knew of him when I got him was that he was Galactus bottom boy or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Knowing the characters probably detracts from the experience anyways because comic books are dumb as gently caress. Like Cable is the son of a clone from the future returned to the past to bestow upon us the virtues of pouches.

boneration posted:

Yeah I wish that info was in the OP.

Honest question though, I don't recognize lots of names of heroes in the OP. Like Cable or Moon Knight or Task Master or X-23 and a few others. I guess I'm not that much of a comics nerd. Is the game still fun even if I am the kinda person who knows superheroes mainly from movies?

Lux Aeterna
Feb 19, 2005

it's very easy to ask us if you like a certain type of arpg archetype for us to give you a few ideas.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

We mainly just need things to answer. Without new players asking a million questions the thread becomes what is is now.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Poistiant posted:

Should you still post if you don't read the thread?

Long time poster, first time reader

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Lady Thor is the only true Thor to play

Deodytus
Feb 13, 2012

Where can I find good information on Rogue's mechanics? I want to experiment a bit with her when I have a real character under my belt and I feel like trying a bunch of stuff with her will keep the game from getting stale.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
They should put titan quest's body physics in where more overkill = bodies sent further. I enjoyed propelling bodies into the next zone.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Drythe posted:

We mainly just need things to answer. Without new players asking a million questions the thread becomes what is is now.
My questions are going to verge on retarded at this point though. Like the number one thing is "which skills are good when you're starting out with each character" but since it's a Diablo type game you can probably just faceroll every button until you figure out which ones blow up more things, then dump points in those and be just fine until you hit the endgame

Deodytus
Feb 13, 2012

CrashCat posted:

My questions are going to verge on retarded at this point though. Like the number one thing is "which skills are good when you're starting out with each character" but since it's a Diablo type game you can probably just faceroll every button until you figure out which ones blow up more things, then dump points in those and be just fine until you hit the endgame

Well you have a second spec on each character, so the best advice I've seen is to do exactly that. Try every skill, level the ones that feel best, then figure out your build using the second spec at 60. The game is also pretty generous with retcon potions from what I've seen, so that's helpful.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Metrohunter posted:

They should put titan quest's body physics in where more overkill = bodies sent further. I enjoyed propelling bodies into the next zone.

It's not exactly the same, but I think brutals or just some specific moves really send dudes flying. I killed Wizard with She-Hulk's uppercut finisher last night and shot him down the hallway like a rocket, four rooms away. What they really need is to make bodies lay around longer so you can marvel at your handiwork or play soccer with the ragdolls.

EDIT: Really the best part of Titan Quest was enemies actually wearing their drops, so you could literally punch people out of their armor. Send a skeleton into low orbit as his armor and weapon settle into a neat little pile at your feet.

Too Shy Guy fucked around with this message at 19:58 on May 8, 2015

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Metrohunter posted:

They sort of have that in now but just like TQ it actually stops working well after a certain point in the game for some reason.

At least AOE effects can toss bodies around still

Lux Aeterna
Feb 19, 2005

Half the reason I still play cable is psychic haze will ragdoll boss corpses around the room in wonderful ways

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Some bosses if you send flying during a line they'll actually trail off as they get further away instead of having the voice just stop. I would die for my cause would you?

boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance

Lux Aeterna posted:

it's very easy to ask us if you like a certain type of arpg archetype for us to give you a few ideas.

OK cool. I like the barbarian and the witch doctor in D3, what am I gonna like here?

e: I would just try them out but it sounds like I gotta make a permanent choice unless I wanna spend real money after level 10. Also respecs, are they available? or is it actually like D2?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Fat_Cow posted:

I have a very important, meta defining question: Which hero has the best voice?

Silver Surfer, because he busts a cosmic nut about his destiny when you pick up Nutso the Squirrel.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.

boneration posted:

OK cool. I like the barbarian and the witch doctor in D3, what am I gonna like here?

e: I would just try them out but it sounds like I gotta make a permanent choice unless I wanna spend real money after level 10. Also respecs, are they available? or is it actually like D2?

Probably Hulk or Iceman and Squirrel Girl, for stomping and summoning, respectively.
Respecs are an item that drops, you also get them during story mode quests. They're very easy to get in large numbers.

e:if you ignored summon WD in D3 and just shat out DoT fields everywhere you'd enjoy Scarlet Witch, Dr Strange. Cable does that too but he's fallen behind the power curve atm. I wouldn't worry too much about that as a new player, though and he's getting reworked in a month or two anyway.

Metrohunter fucked around with this message at 20:06 on May 8, 2015

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Shine posted:

Silver Surfer, because he busts a cosmic nut about his destiny when you pick up Nutso the Squirrel.

"I do this out of compassion"

Surfing around an office shooting lasers at everyone and everything

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

boneration posted:

e: I would just try them out but it sounds like I gotta make a permanent choice unless I wanna spend real money after level 10.
You get the one free one plus enough splinters to buy another free one or two random ones, and I'm gonna wager by the time you max out all two or three of those you'll have enough splinters for a couple more. On the other hand if you find you like the game, now is a good time to buy some heroes with money because of the BOGO thing. On the other other hand, BOGO is a scam because it just gives you a random hero box and the RNG will gently caress you over repeatedly even with next to nothing unlocked.

Seriously, I bought Scarlet Witch first and it gave me Scarlet Witch. And then while I was buying other cheap heroes it gave me Spiderman three times. gently caress.

Lux Aeterna
Feb 19, 2005

boneration posted:

Big stompy badass is going to be cap or hulk- just had reviews and they're great physical brawler types

witch doctor is a little weirder- do you like the summons, dots, or ranged? scarlet witch and squirrel girl are kind of in that territory

also if you like the game, :20bux: can go really far during a bogo event. You buy Storm, SW, HE and a stash tab and you're pretty well off

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Respecs are given by a potion that drops relatively regularly but you will basically never need to respec

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Deodytus posted:

Where can I find good information on Rogue's mechanics? I want to experiment a bit with her when I have a real character under my belt and I feel like trying a bunch of stuff with her will keep the game from getting stale.

Every single hero, team-up, and named boss who isn't a robot has one power you can steal from them. Your three power trees are: 90s TV show rogue with super strength and flight, a blank tree you fill with Friend powers, and a blank tree you fill with Foe powers. You can right click a stolen skill at any time to forget it no investment required.

http://marvelheroes.info/builds/gen/rogue/#0-25-1-0

This will have all of Rogue's possible stolen powers, and who you can get them from (might have to click the list on the bottom to get it to expand.

Beyond that, her stolen powers are classified as core (general category), passive (passive powers duh), impact (big burst powers with cooldowns), support (activated buffs) and attrition (damage over time). You can only have 3 passives, 2 impact, 2 support, and 2 attrition at a time.

Leveling you'll just gently caress around and have fun changing powers every few minutes, hunting down rarer stuff. But when you get to max level, there's a lot of depth with knowing you need X amount of Friends powers vs X Foes powers and thinking, I can get this power from a villain instead of a hero and that's more useful to my build. So you'll have to do some planning eventually.

edit: worth noting that her signature, while cool looking, is usually a DPS loss. It does very good aoe though it's handy while leveling, you just gotta decide if you're okay giving up points in a stolen power to play around with.

Mover fucked around with this message at 20:14 on May 8, 2015

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Mover posted:

Leveling you'll just gently caress around and have fun changing powers every few minutes, hunting down rarer stuff. But when you get to max level, there's a lot of depth with knowing you need X amount of Friends powers vs X Foes powers and thinking, I can get this power from a villain instead of a hero and that's more useful to my build. So you'll have to do some planning eventually.
Echoing this: The best thing to do with Rogue is to just try poo poo out, steal some dumb poo poo from Gorgon and see what it does. I did white 1 to yellow 60 in one week and never got bored on her and I did a different, wildly terrible build every prestige.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Fangs or punching is her best but she does a ridiculous amount of damage so there's some wiggle room

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

For leveling Cyclops' ricochet blast+Gambit's Ragin' Cajun is fun for purple explosions everywhere and clearing out rooms fast. I've also been looking at a movement rogue with the Falcon passive, Rhino charge, and the new Quicksliver tornado thingy.

I would say the the teleport you can steal from Kirigi (easy to find in ICP) and also Thor's spirit restore on cooldown AOE are good no matter what you want to do.

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Drythe posted:

I asked a few questions a couple hundred poo poo posts back and only got 1 of them answered. v:shobon:v

A big question I have is how do I know what gear to keep and what to donate/leave on ground? I have no idea about any of the new artifacts, don't know what stats to look for on certain items, don't know who has poo poo uniques and who doesn't, don't know which any hero uniques are worth keeping, don't know how to weigh stats on a hybrid character (ranged, melee, area, etc).

I also don't know which content to play that is worthwhile for time/loot ratio vs. what is just there for fluff/fun.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Always always always keep artifacts that drop from specific zones or bosses because even if they suck now they will almost definitely be buffed one day

Ask me about dropping an original Hulkbuster artifact

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Adult Sword Owner posted:

Always always always keep artifacts that drop from specific zones or bosses because even if they suck now they will almost definitely be buffed one day

Ask me about dropping an original Hulkbuster artifact

Danger AI Chip buff confirmed.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Hey, that AI Chip was top tier for like a week or two

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Drythe posted:

"I do this out of compassion"

Surfing around an office shooting lasers at everyone and everything

He's a pretentious prick and it owns so much.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Guys just buy all the heroes. You're going to play them all anyway.

Also, just drop $1,000 already. You're eventually going to do it anyway. You can earn an extra $250 if you do it this week with the sale.

So just go ahead and whale out, you might as well. Earn some cash back.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
A thunderstorm stole a coat from me

Prel
Jan 12, 2012

Obscurity posted:

I also don't know which content to play that is worthwhile for time/loot ratio vs. what is just there for fluff/fun.

It depends to some extent on your current gear level and what is boosted/what events are happening.

Good for gearing up new 60's: Green difficulty Muspelheim raid, Bovenheim, normal Midtown Manhattan during Midtown Madness Mondays

Once you are moderately well geared you can graduate to Cosmic Midtown and Red Muspelheim. CMM drops lots of costume cores and Reliquaries of Rarity (you're looking to score good insignias out of these) and a moderate amount of uniques. You can also hope to get a Sacred White Gorilla Neck or two, which is a bis artifact for any physical character.

Other than that you're looking at running specific cosmic terminals or one-shots for their drop(s) — GoK from Kurse, ESP Box from Mandarin, Nazi Coat and HPP from Axis, etc. The best rings are from ICP (or the Midtown Signet from Midtown Madness on a select few heroes) and are annoyingly rare. Batroc in ICP also drops Batroc's Savate Boots which are a bis slot 4 on many characters. Other than rings and Batroc's ICP is mostly worthless, but those two things are very good. You can occasionally get something useful from the ICP reward boxes.

Genosha raid doesn't require absolute top tier gear but it does require good gear and being able to pay attention/execute some mechanics. Loot is pretty good once you're at a point where you can do it.

Ultron Mode falls somewhere in there but I don't know what the rewards are if you don't get gold. If you get gold on all the phases you get four? guaranteed uniques. It should be a little easier to gold all the phases now that they nerfed it a touch (it was already easy with even a moderately decent group of goons).

Modes that are basically worthless for gearing/loot: story, x-defense, holo-sim, regular Midtown Manhattan on non-Mondays, Industry City usually outside of rings/Batroc's.

Prel fucked around with this message at 20:56 on May 8, 2015

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

i get a non-trivial amount of uniques from ICP reward boxes. It's not a bad place to go when you don't have goons to carry you towards gear and greater glory.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Eiffel On You posted:

Guys just buy all the heroes. You're going to play them all anyway.

Also, just drop $1,000 already. You're eventually going to do it anyway. You can earn an extra $250 if you do it this week with the sale.

So just go ahead and whale out, you might as well. Earn some cash back.

This is a really good deal. I'm not sure why people just don't drop money in $200 blocks whenever there is a G sale either. It gives you an extra $87.50 worth of Gs than normal. Anyone who doesn't do this is pretty much a sucker in my book, at least.

Prel
Jan 12, 2012

Mover posted:

i get a non-trivial amount of uniques from ICP reward boxes. It's not a bad place to go when you don't have goons to carry you towards gear and greater glory.

I edited in that ICP boxes can be ok. I'd still rather do CMM than ICP or CICP unless I am fishing for rings, personally.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Anyone online to add me? Triskit is in game name.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Grinning Goblin posted:

This is a really good deal. I'm not sure why people just don't drop money in $200 blocks whenever there is a G sale either. It gives you an extra $87.50 worth of Gs than normal. Anyone who doesn't do this is pretty much a sucker in my book, at least.

Seriously. You all know you're gonna spend it. Get it while the best deal available is around.

And that's right it's $87 extra for free. Cuz it's 28000G.

So really, drop your grand that you're hoarding already. You get $437 worth of G for free.

$437. Seriously. Spend your money today.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Obscurity posted:

don't know who has poo poo uniques and who doesn't, don't know which any hero uniques are worth keeping,

To my knowledge, very few heroes have a bad line-up of uniques anymore. Moon Knight is the only one I'm super sure of, but anyone who hasn't been reworked in the past year probably won't be wearing more than two hero specific uniques at higher sperg levels.

OTOH most characters are in a good enough place where you can wear all of their uniques and get by in green Muspelheim, even Moon Knight.

For any hero uniques, keep anything that's a boss specific drop. Beyond that maybe hold on to Darkholds, Dragonfangs and Nate Greys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ransome
Dec 27, 2012

Cosmic, Baby!
Someone sell me some 25/2 AA and Xgene cores. Have hods and esp boxes to trade. 2 cores for 1 of either! Need like 3 of each core. Skrybbles in game

• Locked thread