Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I added Dirt Rally to the OP, judging by the general reception it seems like it belongs there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I LIKE TO SMOKE WEE posted:

Something clicked for me tonight, ended up setting the 41st fastest time globally on Monte Carlo w/ a 70's car. I recorded it on my potato for your viewing pleasure https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLD9b2YDEwM

That's a pretty good song, I guess. Not sure how it's relevant, though.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

KillHour posted:

That's a pretty good song, I guess. Not sure how it's relevant, though.

:lol: sorry-ish about that http://www.twitch.tv/sneakyness_912/c/6650903

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Guys Project Cars is really good.

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

I'm playing with a controller but its been a blast driving these shifter karts so far. Especially at Glencairn with its crazy elevation changes.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Norns posted:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Project Cars finally motivates me to set up my racing cockpit again...

...and my brake pedal doesn't work.

Seems like the general consensus on the internets for a CSR-E brake pedal that worked last time it was used and doesn't now is a damaged load cell. Gas and clutch still seem to work fine in both PC and 360 modes so that apparently means the PCB is fine. Here's hoping Fanatec's shipping on the replacement parts is reasonably quick.

Does the game do the trigger rumble if using an Xbone controller? I can't find my microusb cords at the moment otherwise I'd just try it myself.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

wolrah posted:

Does the game do the trigger rumble if using an Xbone controller? I can't find my microusb cords at the moment otherwise I'd just try it myself.

Unfortunately not. Microsoft hasn't enabled trigger rumble in its drivers for the controller.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Once I got my FFB settings the way I like them, man this game is amazing.

Comma Chameleon
Apr 30, 2008

Norns posted:

I'm so happy to see a slider for event length, nothing pisses me off more in racing games where you start at the back of the pack with no option for qualifying and have 2 laps to try and get a decent standing.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

So… what does the steering linearity in Dirt Rally actually do?

I've been trying to get into it a bit more now that I have some free time, and I can make the wheel be far too fidgety near the centre and not particularly responsive at full lock, or I can make it not very responsive near the centre and also at full lock. What obvious setting have I stupidly overlooked to make the game actually respond to large inputs?

Or is it simply that I haven't set up the profile right (this is using a G27) and it just clips higher values, and that the cars have the turning circle of a small planetoid by design?

Tippis fucked around with this message at 15:02 on May 7, 2015

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Diet Crack posted:

Once I got my FFB settings the way I like them, man this game is amazing.

Can you screenshot your settings? There are so many options I can't figure out how to configure them. I can't feel kerbs or road bumps unless I really crank it, and when I do the wheel gets super heavy. If I have the wheel realistically light the bumps go away completely.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

GutBomb posted:

Unfortunately not. Microsoft hasn't enabled trigger rumble in its drivers for the controller.

drat, that feature's made my lack of 'bone-compatible wheel a lot more tolerable.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Tippis posted:

I've been trying to get into it a bit more now that I have some free time, and I can make the wheel be far too fidgety near the centre and not particularly responsive at full lock, or I can make it not very responsive near the centre and also at full lock. What obvious setting have I stupidly overlooked to make the game actually respond to large inputs?

Or is it simply that I haven't set up the profile right (this is using a G27) and it just clips higher values, and that the cars have the turning circle of a small planetoid by design?

Your first questions and the second are linked. Steering Linearity adjusts how sensitive the wheel is at certain points in it's travel. So a flat linear curve, or 0, would mean that one degree of rotation of the physical wheel across its entire travel equals one degree of rotation across the in-game vehicles wheel across it's entire length of travel. Steering Linearity Curves can then be adjusted so that the wheel turns the car more or less in the neutral position or at the extremes of it's travel.

If you can't find a neutral position for steering linearity where the sensitivity seems the same across the wheel entire rotation, there may be a conflict with the wheels inherent settings and the games. I'm not sure what sort of settings the G27 has natively outside of games, but many higher end wheels let you set the steering linearity in their driver panel within Windows, or directly on the wheel itself through a little LCD panel. If the G27 has those sorts of options, you would be best served setting the wheels steering linearity to zero, or off, or however the wheel phrases a flat linear scale, and then tweak within the game to get the linearity you're looking for.

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
Click to understand my bad faith posting.

Tippis posted:

The purpose of steering linearity is to ruin your ability to tell what the car is doing when you make controller inputs. This also applies to sensitivity. Sens 100 lin 0 is best.

This also applies to assists, the purpose of which is to keep you from going too fast and thereby making everyone else look bad.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.

Tippis posted:

If you haven't changed your degrees of range down to somewhere around 360 in the Logitech profiler, that's your problem. I messed about with linearity forever, and everything felt awful. Then I changed the steering range to 360 externally, set linearity to 0, and was pretty good.

I still have a weird problem where the very center of my steering is super sensitive when I first start a race, but I finally figured out that I can fix it by starting the countdown, hitting esc twice to open and close the menu, and then continuing. I haven't seen anyone else post that, so maybe I should go to CM.

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH
Coming back to Dirt Rally from Project Cars feels so good to me. Once I concentrated and started getting used to my co-driver again, I fell so hard into the groove I was nearly beating stages at Professional level by 5 seconds. It's a blast.

Something about how rally requires such precise control, yet also for you to absolutely push it to the limit, is just addictive as hell. I'm also starting to get better at my hairpins- if I could really master those, I bet I could cut 15s or more off of some of my times.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

I think I am doing Project CARS right

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Now do it with a supercart!

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

GutBomb posted:

Supposedly the current API for communicating with the controller still only addresses the 2 individual rumble motors in the controller itself.

I read on the dirt steam forums that one of the pCars developers said that MSFT won't be adding support for Impulse Triggers (this is the official name™ of them) until Windows 10 is released.

The hosed up thing here is that I'm actually considering installing the Windows 10 preview to see if they've got it in there yet. It's frustratingly hard to find any sort of information pertaining to Impulse Triggers on PC.

All of that said, I just bought one myself, and it's actually a really impressive upgrade over the 360 controller. The normal vibration is "detailed" enough that I can actually tell when one side of the car is slipping/bouncing/locked up. The 360 controller is literally a bad sex toy in comparison :pervert:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I'm actually kind of luke-warm on the Bonetroller. The grips are basically clip-ons, and start to shift and squeak a little if you're really manhandling the controller. Other than that it's a really good controller, I just miss the rock-solid shell of the 360 controller.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Is the D pad useful? I'm still trying to change the radio station and then it opens the phone or something.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I'm actually kind of luke-warm on the Bonetroller. The grips are basically clip-ons, and start to shift and squeak a little if you're really manhandling the controller. Other than that it's a really good controller, I just miss the rock-solid shell of the 360 controller.

Maybe check the screws? Mine is rock solid, no creaking whatsoever, especially compared to xb360 and ps4 controllers.

Possibly the goon-iest thing I'll ever say on SA:

PSA: Set your sens to 100 and your lin to 0 in advanced gamepad settings! The defaults are like sex with a condom, this is like goin in raw, feels soooooo good

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I popped out the grip covers and put in a little bit of adhesive foam. worked great

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Maybe check the screws? Mine is rock solid, no creaking whatsoever, especially compared to xb360 and ps4 controllers.

I'll double-check when I get home, but from what I remember the outer grips, which are the squeaky part, are just clipped on. The screws that actually hold the two halves of the main shell are under those.

Could be wrong though, I'm just recalling this from a breakdown vid where I swear the guy just popped the grips off. Wait... Okay, grabbed a random pic from some breakdown tutorial. You can see that the outer surfaces of the grips are just snap-ons, and the screws for the body are under them.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
The DiRT co-driver goes from OK to totally useless at Group B. He'll start rattling off corners four ahead with the HUD not even remembering them, then he'll tell you about a hairpin as you're halfway into the entrance before sending you careening off a cliff with an innocuous "left 4" that should have been "double caution left 2 keep in." The Greece stages seem especially troubled by this.

I really wish he would say something about cliffs on corner exit. I hate reseting over and over, but it's hard not to do when you're being sabotaged in the same corner every time until you memorize the stage.

Those Group B cars are amazingly fun death traps. They're total rockets and don't even have hand brakes in the real thing apparently.

ManicJason fucked around with this message at 10:11 on May 8, 2015

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

ManicJason posted:

If you haven't changed your degrees of range down to somewhere around 360 in the Logitech profiler, that's your problem. I messed about with linearity forever, and everything felt awful. Then I changed the steering range to 360 externally, set linearity to 0, and was pretty good.

I still have a weird problem where the very center of my steering is super sensitive when I first start a race, but I finally figured out that I can fix it by starting the countdown, hitting esc twice to open and close the menu, and then continuing. I haven't seen anyone else post that, so maybe I should go to CM.

That certainly helped. I didn't even think about the range at first because I had mentally categorised DR as “sim” (and I really only have two profiles: sim and arcade, with 900° and 300ish° respectively). Then again, it's still CodeMasters and it's not even done yet, so it kind of makes sense. :doh:

I only felt it was fidgety when I messed with linearity, though. Does it go away once you're up to speed and/or have been driving for a while? I'll keep an eye out for it next session but it definitely sounds like it's acting up for you in a proper heisenbug kind of way.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

ManicJason posted:

Those Group B cars are amazingly fun death traps. They're total rockets and don't even have hand brakes in the real thing apparently.

The Group B cars currently in the game are also the tamer versions, e.g. the Quattro has only 400 bhp while the final real one had 591.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

ManicJason posted:

The DiRT co-driver goes from OK to totally useless at Group B. He'll start rattling off corners four ahead with the HUD not even remembering them, then he'll tell you about a hairpin as you're halfway into the entrance before sending you careening off a cliff with an innocuous "left 4" that should have been "double caution left 2 keep in." The Greece stages seem especially troubled by this.
There's an option to have him read notes earlier in preferences!

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

So uhhh. I need racing gloves for my wheel. I've been resisting but I'm going to end up putting a lot of time into project cars.

Any of you have good suggestions?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Norns posted:

So uhhh. I need racing gloves for my wheel. I've been resisting but I'm going to end up putting a lot of time into project cars.

Any of you have good suggestions?

Karting gloves. Less money than actual racing gloves because they typically aren't nomex.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I would have never though of that. Thanks!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Norns posted:

I would have never though of that. Thanks!

I bought some alpinestars kart gloves. They are alright. The lining of the left glove came unstitched at the wrist. My shifter apparently rips off all the vinyl bits on the fingers. I don't know if they were worth the 50 bucks, but I have them and they are useful.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

You could look into Mechanix-brand gloves. Only $20 for a pair, probably a bit more bulky than kart gloves, but they can always be used to wrench on your own car.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Bentai posted:

You could look into Mechanix-brand gloves. Only $20 for a pair, probably a bit more bulky than kart gloves, but they can always be used to wrench on your own car.

I'll check these out too. (I've never driven or owned a car in my life)

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

ManicJason posted:

I really wish he would say something about cliffs on corner exit. I hate reseting over and over, but it's hard not to do when you're being sabotaged in the same corner every time until you memorize the stage.

The co-driver notes are actually flat out wrong in several spots, mostly in Greece. People have been posting about them in the tech support subforum on the steam dirt community

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

The co-driver notes are actually flat out wrong in several spots, mostly in Greece. People have been posting about them in the tech support subforum on the steam dirt community

Yeah I tend to not believe him when he says "don't cut" because that means on the opposite side there's a large drop off and I go into a ditch.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

What weather options does the new dirt have?

Is snow rally a thing? I want it to be.

BeRandom
Mar 20, 2011
Seconding the Mechanix-brand gloves. I bought a pair for $12 at Wal-Mart about four years ago. After using them for wrenching, driving, and heavy lifting they only have some small holes at the tips of a few fingers. Still perfectly usable for Sim racing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

Norns posted:

What weather options does the new dirt have?

Is snow rally a thing? I want it to be.

Monte Carlo has a decent bit of snow towards the top. They'll be adding way more snow tracks in November

• Locked thread