Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
i honestly would post more, but i have to work in the coal mines where my phone doesnt get a signal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

LunarShadow posted:

Missing my point. Was meant to show that you don't have to be on your comp all day to ppst a whopping 13 posts a day. I used to manage that on my bus ride home.Basically I am saying you are retarded for bringing up post counts and the like. Cause apperantly folks can't multitask.

And my point was that these guys aren't posting on their phones in their spare time, but instead refreshing threads for hours straight.

Voyager I posted:

Better idea; instead of pointing out how many posts Effectronica makes, point out how terrible they all are. It's not like you have to resort to some mastermind tactics to make fun of them and there is surely no lack of material.

I actually tried to argue with Effectronica once, he ended a long post with something in Italian or Latin that was too sophisticated for me, now I just post about his post count.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Geriatric Pirate posted:

And my point was that these guys aren't posting on their phones in their spare time, but instead refreshing threads for hours straight.

wait, why are you arguing with people on the internet on a friday evening

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Popular Thug Drink posted:

wait, why are you arguing with people on the internet on a friday evening

Your mom's not coming around for another hour

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Your mom's not coming around for another hour

my mom is dead

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
she killed herself when she read your posts

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Popular Thug Drink posted:

she killed herself when she read your posts

[Your age + 9 months] too late.

Geriatric Pirate posted:

I actually tried to argue with Effectronica once, he ended a long post with something in Italian or Latin that was too sophisticated for me, now I just post about his post count.

That's because you're actually a worse poster than them, which is saying quite a bit.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
i'm an average poster

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
if not prolific

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Voyager I posted:

That's because you're actually a worse poster than them, which is saying quite a bit.

Yet somehow, I see Effectronica on the "online users" list but not posting, so maybe I'm doing something correctly?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Geriatric Pirate posted:

maybe I'm doing something correctly?

doubt it

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

i honestly wish i was earning megabucks so i could stalk people on the internet full time, and not have to refrain from posting at my minimum wage physical labor job, where im literally working so hard i cannot use the internet because im just so fatigued at toiling away, day after day

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Yet somehow, I see Effectronica on the "online users" list but not posting, so maybe I'm doing something correctly?

Keep cyberstalking me and you're liable to find the echoing caverns of your skull exposed to the outside air.

Voyager I posted:

So what's your deal? 90% of people that hate me turn out to be comically hosed up, so...

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Effectronica posted:

So what's your deal? 90% of people that hate me turn out to be comically hosed up, so...

You are basically SedanChairLite.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Voyager I posted:

You are basically SedanChairLite.

SedanChair throws a real one in there every now and again.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
In any case, if we assume two full-time incomes, $15/hour is perfectly fine for most of the country. Extending our welfare system to account for single parents or part-timers should cover the rest. Sounds good, and I can't wait to implement ir.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Leroy Diplowski posted:

If min wage did go to $15 then I would probably have to raise prices, but then so would my competition, so it would be pretty much a zero sum game for me. Since my customers are mostly very high earners, a min wage increase would be a (clumsy) method of wealth redistribution which I feel is a really good thing.
The only real losers will be the high volume low margin retailers but they are already exploiting workers up their supply chain anyhow, and we are going need to wean our economy off of cheap consumer goods produced by our de facto colonies at some point.

Another group that would unambiguously lose from an increase in the minimum wage (and a concurrent increase in prices) are poor people outside the labor force.
code:
2010 Census Data
Total number of poor people		46,180,000
Number of poor people under age 18	16,401,000
Number of poor people ages 65 and older	 3,521,000
Number of poor people ages 18–64	26,258,000

Number of poor people ages 18–64 who were:
Working full- or part-time		9,053,000
Unemployed but looking for work		3,616,000
Disabled				4,247,000
In the armed forces			   77,000
Able-bodied but not in the labor force	9,254,000
The 9 million people in poverty working full or part time would benefit. The remaining 20 million adults in poverty who are retired, unemployed, disabled, or otherwise outside the labor force would be made even more poor by a general rise in prices.

The best thing minimum wage increases have going is political. They're much more popular than expansion of the welfare state. The downside is the only way to help the poor outside the labor force is by expanding the welfare state, minimum wage increases will make poverty more acute for these people, and the political will to correct that problem will likely not exist. It's an open question whether the benefits to some of the poor will outweigh the burden imposed on the rest.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
You're right a guaranteed minimum income for everyone is superior to min wage increases. Too bad the latter is more realistic than the former.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

assuming a general rise in prices after a minimum wage increase is demonstrably erroneous

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

JeffersonClay posted:

It's an open question whether the benefits to some of the poor will outweigh the burden imposed on the rest.

RBC posted:

assuming a general rise in prices after a minimum wage increase is demonstrably erroneous

It's not. Here's the oft-cited Card and Kreuger study on minimum wage in the fast food industry. They found it didn't impact employment but did impact prices. (Price impacts are on pages 15 and 16)

http://journalistsresource.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/njmin-aer.pdf

JeffersonClay fucked around with this message at 20:13 on May 8, 2015

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

RBC posted:

LET US ENGAGE IN HYPERBOLE TO TEST THE VALIDITY OF THIS PROPOSITION WITH A THOUGHT EXPERIMENT.

If the increase were to $50/hour would you expect a rise in general prices?

If so, what level of increase would you not expect to create a rise in prices and why is that your breakpoint?

God bless.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

wateroverfire posted:

LET US ENGAGE IN HYPERBOLE TO TEST THE VALIDITY OF THIS PROPOSITION WITH A THOUGHT EXPERIMENT.

If the increase were to $50/hour would you expect a rise in general prices?

Let's engage in a different thought experiment. If wages stagnate while purchasing power decreases, is that not a pay cut?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Capitalism's strong points are supposed to include dynamism, and here you've got lovers of capitalism arguing for stasis and stagnancy. Weird.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

since monetary policy is already explicitely inflationary, arent all these people already getting hosed by price increases every year

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

You guys are ruining the reveal :mad:

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Let's engage in a different thought experiment. If wages stagnate while purchasing power decreases, is that not a pay cut?

One thought experiment at a time.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

RBC posted:

since monetary policy is already explicitely inflationary, arent all these people already getting hosed by price increases every year

Yes price inflation hurts the poor. More price inflation will hurt the poor more.

Current monetary policy isn't contributing much to inflation.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

JeffersonClay posted:

Yes price inflation hurts the poor. More price inflation will hurt the poor more.

Current monetary policy isn't contributing much to inflation.

The price index increases a couple of a percent a year, while the minimum wage does not. Now I'm not an economist or even particularly good with math (better than asdf tho) but I would wager that the federal minimum wage has not kept up at all with the price index.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I am at work so I can't. but it'd be interesting to see napkin math on how many people would be hurt how much by price increases caused by min. wage increase compared to how many helped and how much.

Something tells me that the former will be largely insigificant compared to the latter.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

Nevvy Z posted:

I am at work so I can't. but it'd be interesting to see napkin math on how many people would be hurt how much by price increases caused by min. wage increase compared to how many helped and how much.

Something tells me that the former will be largely insigificant compared to the latter.

As I've said before it's hard to believe that minimum wage won't transfer some wealth. Any somewhat rich person that shops at Walmart and pays a higher price is transferring some.

But the question comes down to where min wage workers are located relative to min wage consumers. When they work/shop at the same place it negates the benefits. Wal-mart seems like a perfect example here where they tend to overlap.

In general it seems like we're talking 10's of percents of min wage benefits being wiped out by this. Although how you weight things is subjective. Another chunk of min wage benefits come from lower or middle middle class. Is that what you wanted? Probably not.

The other real downside that has better consensus than unemployment is that min wage shuffles employment within the lower class. It pushes out some of the most vulnerable among them while perhaps not increasing unemployment overall.

Te point here, which is what Jefferson is getting at, is that analysis does't stop at just the wage increase and overall unemployment. There are downsides other than that which significantly reduce the benefits and need to be weighed as well.

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.
Problems like, I cannot afford a second yacht. Guess I'll have to go with one yacht this year instead of two. This yacht economy is really gonna feel the pinch

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
The Earned Income Tax Credit avoids a lot of the negatives associated with raising the minimum wage. A modest increase in the minimum wage along with increasing the EITC would be very good policy-- the EITC controls price inflation and the minimum wage ensures that employers can't just reduce wages to capture the EITC subsidy. But it wouldn't provide us with as much schadenfreude from soaking the rich so maybe it's not worth it.

linoleum floors posted:

Problems like, I cannot afford a second yacht. Guess I'll have to go with one yacht this year instead of two. This yacht economy is really gonna feel the pinch

Problems like, I cannot afford as much food because the minimum wage raised prices but not my pension/disability/welfare payment.

JeffersonClay fucked around with this message at 21:22 on May 8, 2015

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.
Lol like any of the unemployed poor can afford to buy food. They steal it and will continue to steal it. I look forward to grocery stores losing even more money as theft rises

How I can afford to pay for food without working: a loving magic show playing near you soon

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.
Good to know all poor people are thieving squatters.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
How you can pay for food without working:

You are retired and live on a pension or savings and social security.
You are disabled and receive Social Security Disability Insurance.
You are unemployed and collecting TANF benefits.

Also minimum wage laws wouldn't affect the wages paid to undocumented immigrants or people employed in the underground economy, and these people would still be harmed by price inflation.

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

I like to play a game every Monday called how many tbone steaks can i fit in my pants

I pass the price increases on to you pieces of poo poo

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
man tbones are not effective uses of pants space. you get the best bang for your theft from roasts. lifehack.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

JeffersonClay posted:

How you can pay for food without working:

You are retired and live on a pension or savings and social security.
You are disabled and receive Social Security Disability Insurance.
You are unemployed and collecting TANF benefits.

Also minimum wage laws wouldn't affect the wages paid to undocumented immigrants or people employed in the underground economy, and these people would still be harmed by price inflation.

Undocumented immigrants and people in black/gray-market employment file income tax returns?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
its been difficult for me to keep my protein intake high ever since the butcher stopped selling sausages in long strings which i could just grasp in my mouth while bolting for the door

• Locked thread