Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

triplexpac posted:

I haven't played any Pokemon since Red/Blue, if I want to play one on 3DS what's the one to get?

The general rule is:
-If you care about competitive battling or have Gen3 Nostalgia, go for Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire.
-If this is your first game since Gen 1, X/Y are tailor made for you. You even get a Gen 1 Starter shortly after you begin and lots of Gen1 pokemon are on every route.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

You can actually cheese it and get a bajillion street pass people which is a HUUUUGE advantage. It's up to you as to whether that's something you want though.

Not really, in the full game you can get more villagers / abilinks through connecting to other people over the internet, which makes the streetpass aspect almost totally irrelevant.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

So was code name steam garbage or something? I remember people flipping out about how excited they were for it then it came out and I heard literally nothing about it.

I think its a cool game. Ive been taking my sweet time playing it, just a level at a time so im not very far, but now that i have my Ike amiibo scanned in ill play more & keep you posted on how cool it is.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Get X or Y and play dress up.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Harvest Moon: The Lost Valley has a EU release date, it'll be out June 19. It doesn't suck!

They're still putting out DLC for the game too. Extra plants, costumes, recipes, and the next one is teased to have something to do with the Bachelors and Bachelorettes.

The current set is free until May 19th in the US($.99 after that)

RangerAce
Feb 25, 2014

So, I never in my whole life got into Pokemon. Then, I installed Pokemon Rumble World since it was f2p. It was pretty addictive and loved the collecting and ability usage. So, on a lark I bought and installed Omega Ruby last night. Holy freaking balls, I didn't fall asleep until 3am. And here I thought I would be playing Bloodborne all weekend, but I'm kinda getting into and digging Pokemon now.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

x and y are better than ruby sapphire but probably the z version is due to be announced so get ruby sapphire first and play z when it comes out?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

mabels big day posted:

I think its a cool game. Ive been taking my sweet time playing it, just a level at a time so im not very far, but now that i have my Ike amiibo scanned in ill play more & keep you posted on how cool it is.

Thank you.,

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

epitasis posted:

x and y are better than ruby sapphire but probably the z version is due to be announced so get ruby sapphire first and play z when it comes out?

That depends on what we're getting; we don't know if they'll do the Gen 5 direct sequel thing again or if they're doing a traditional third version.

If the next game is a direct sequel, you'd want to play X or Y first. If it's a third version, you would skip X/Y in its favor.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

X/Y has insanely bad framerate issues in combat, idk if Sapphire/ruby has it cuz I didn't play it cuz THAT GEN SUCKED

Did you play with 3D on? it indeed runs REALLY badly in 3D but if you turn it off it's basically fine. No difference between XY and Ruby/Sapph there though

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

goferchan posted:

Did you play with 3D on? it indeed runs REALLY badly in 3D but if you turn it off it's basically fine. No difference between XY and Ruby/Sapph there though

It's still pretty bad with it off.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

epitasis posted:

Is there a guarantee there will be a Pokemon Z? It's been almost two years since XY, and the latest dated thing Google shows is an article from March that also speculates on whether they'll port it to mobile devices.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
The framerate issues in X/Y don't bother me much because those parts of the game aren't reflex-sensitive and I'm used to far jankier animations or characters who aren't even animated to begin with in Pokemon games. Getting to see all these Pokemon in 3D is novel enough for me.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

raditts posted:

Is there a guarantee there will be a Pokemon Z? It's been almost two years since XY, and the latest dated thing Google shows is an article from March that also speculates on whether they'll port it to mobile devices.

Pokemon has been a yearly release since 2009 and there has literally never been a generation without a third version/sequel.

Its coming out. Probably this year. Though it might be X2/Y2.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I hope the next Pokemon takes advantage of New 3DS so we can get 3D in the overworld and not poo poo framerates in battle.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Zore posted:

Its coming out. Probably this year. Though it might be X2/Y2.

I hope they do this because the third version thing is never worth it + Black 2/White 2 owned

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Code Name STEAM is the best game available on the 3DS handheld system.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Not a Children posted:

Worth sending an email. The people at NoA are pretty top-notch when it comes to customer service.

No luck, an email and two different phone calls got me the same "You were notified in January, and April, no exceptions" response. Which kinda sucks, no idea why the rest of club nintendo expires in June but this expired in April. Yeah it's my fault for missing it but it seems like lovely customer service, which won't impact them at all since I'm going to keep buying Nintendo games anyway :v:

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Tender Bender posted:

No luck, an email and two different phone calls got me the same "You were notified in January, and April, no exceptions" response. Which kinda sucks, no idea why the rest of club nintendo expires in June but this expired in April. Yeah it's my fault for missing it but it seems like lovely customer service, which won't impact them at all since I'm going to keep buying Nintendo games anyway :v:

The elite status rewards probably expired in April as opposed to the program shutting down in June because if they expired in June then a bunch of dudes who forgot would be contacting them after they shut everything down. Also, they gave a ton of warning, so I don't see how you can be upset at their customer service for your mistake.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

noirstronaut posted:

lmao

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Codename STEAM is a neat little strategy RPG/3rd person shooter hybrid with a cool comic-book aesthetic and idealized superhero versions of characters from classic fables and books. The gameplay is pretty fun, the art is cool, and the writing is just ok.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Sade posted:

FTFY

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

The elite status rewards probably expired in April as opposed to the program shutting down in June because if they expired in June then a bunch of dudes who forgot would be contacting them after they shut everything down. Also, they gave a ton of warning, so I don't see how you can be upset at their customer service for your mistake.

I just think it would be nice customer service to let me redeem my platinum reward after the arbitrary deadline, especially since it's just a download code and they're redeeming coins through June.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

they wouldnt restore my expired surveys either :shrug:

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Promotions like this always have cutoff dates because otherwise they'd have to deal with people trying to redeem poo poo like three years later and have to help them with it. They probably disabled all their extra redemption keys after the promotion ended anyways so they couldn't get stolen in a hack.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Tender Bender posted:

I just think it would be nice customer service to let me redeem my platinum reward after the arbitrary deadline, especially since it's just a download code and they're redeeming coins through June.

I agree that it would be nice, but I don't agree that them not doing it constitutes "lovely" customer service as your previous post stated.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
you're boned get ovr it

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

noirstronaut posted:

You've made some hosed up posts over the years, but holy moly.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
List of better games:

List of worster games:

All of them

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I didn't play the full game, but the demo for Codename STEAM put me off because the game didn't know what it wanted to be. If you played cautiously, you were punished. If you rushed through the levels, you were punished. The level design was bad because random objects blocked your line of site when aiming. I don't mean cover, I mean like tree branches obscuring the battlefield that wouldn't have any effect on damage or accuracy calculations, they just made it impossible to see what was going on.

Louisgod posted:

I have one but want a traditional charger too.

Why not just get a USB wall adapter and not worry about voltage?

Atlas Hugged fucked around with this message at 01:24 on May 9, 2015

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

How bad is the Attack on Titan game going to be?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Housh posted:

Probably about as bad as the anime

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

raditts posted:

Probably about as bad as the anime

Dunno if I can handle a game that good on 3DS...

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Housh posted:

I heard it bombed in Japan and was a terrible clunky mess

so yeah it's like the series that inspired it.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Attack on Titan is good, but the game is bad.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I heard it bombed in Japan and was a terrible clunky mess

so yeah it's like the series that inspired it.

hmm yes attack on titan was bombed in japan

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I HAVE THE GAME!

and yes it's very very clunky. imagine trying to play an attack on titan game and that's what it is.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

triplexpac posted:

I haven't played any Pokemon since Red/Blue, if I want to play one on 3DS what's the one to get?

I just bought AS and X last weekend, after not playing since Pearl (and RB before that).

X feels like a kid's game. I know that they all ARE kid's games, but X makes that feeling stick. It just feels condescending and railroading, with very little freedom to play. I'm actually shocked it's not picking my pokemon for me.

AS also feels familiar. The art, layout and design generally feel like RB. X uses the 3D on the overworld to make the design really, really different from past pokemon.

I say the best parts of XY are in ORAS, with some other enhancements (DexNav is great if you're a completionist, and the World Map being on the bottom screen on demand is pretty great too). Get one of the ORAS games, then go back to XY if you want more pokemon. It's what I'm doing at the moment, and I like it.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I don't get the hate for Attack On Titan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

littleorv posted:

I don't get the hate for Attack On Titan

the game? it's not that good