Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Chris James 2 posted:

Showtime's airing an interview this weekend with Floyd where he calls Pacquiao a sore loser and coward, and also specifically says no to a rematch.

You're a coward so I'm not going to fight you again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Why the 180? Because it'll be too much of a rehash for his 50th? Or to build animosity so people pay to see the rematch? The guardian has an article a day about these too boxers and I didn't see anything about Pac really complaining too much about his shoulder.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

bernstein says there's a new arena opening in las vegas next year that floyd wants to fight in. he is probably playing hardball so he can get an 80-20 split or something

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Or to build animosity so people pay to see the rematch?

bingo. floyd is an illiterate rear end in a top hat but god drat can he sell a fight. there is no more perfect an opponent to beat marciano's record and he knows it, i know it, and it's going to be the fight.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
one thing that could stop the rematch is Floyd doesn't really have to negotiate this time. Why would he give Manny & Arum another 60/40 split? He could say here's 50 million take it or leave it.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Bubba Smith posted:

one thing that could stop the rematch is Floyd doesn't really have to negotiate this time. Why would he give Manny & Arum another 60/40 split? He could say here's 50 million take it or leave it.

Ehhh, if I'm Manny, I'm taking it.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Five million pay per view buys. Boxing is dead guys, let's all go home.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Over the last year the ratio of people unironically claiming boxing is dead to insecure boxing fans angrily shouting about boxing not being dead has been roughly 1:500

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

fatherdog posted:

Over the last year the ratio of people unironically claiming boxing is dead to insecure boxing fans angrily shouting about boxing not being dead has been roughly 1:500

Literally the opposite is true for the last week

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
After 5.5+ million PPVs I don't blame the world for being a little burnt out on boxing for a while, though. That number is disgusting.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

Bubba Smith posted:

5.5+ million PPVs

:stare:

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

So, yeah. If the fight did that much business for a fight that boxing fans were happy with but the rest of the world thought was a dud, eh, I'm okay with boxing being dead/dying/dormant/whatever the gently caress for a couple of years.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
That's a loving nuts number, and the regression to the mean is gonna bite everyone

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Bubba Smith posted:

After 5.5+ million PPVs I don't blame the world for being a little burnt out on boxing for a while, though. That number is disgusting.

Burnt out for 6 more months, just in time for Mayweather's next PPV which will sell another 2-4 million PPVs.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

bit gross tbh

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

In 2010 the census registered 3.2 million Filipinos in the US. Even accounting for growth in those numbers I'm pretty confident that every Filipino in the country watched Manny Pacquiao get embarrassed.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Great googly moogly

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
That is obscene.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Howd they do that

Slaine
Feb 26, 2001

Bundt Cake posted:

Howd they do that

6 years to bake a cake. Book the rematch.

The promotional campaign was weak as hell in the build up, too.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

They are already both starting to talk mad poo poo. Rematch for the 50-0. It will sell.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Dangersim posted:

Literally the opposite is true for the last week

I was about to say this. All I've heard over the past week is "the biggest winner of Saturday was Dana White! Ha!"

Andro
Jun 30, 2010
Can we talk about betting here?

Put a bit on Burns to win cuz Fingerora didn't make weight. Got enough on Canelo to cover me if Burns doesn't win.

Here's to a fun day of boxing!

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

is the burns fight on uk time?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Ty1990 posted:

I was about to say this. All I've heard over the past week is "the biggest winner of Saturday was Dana White! Ha!"

That's a completely different statement than "boxing is dead", and also probably true

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!
Dana White has a whole host of other problems now with the UFC. Not to mention they don't have any global stars like boxing does. Though McGregor is starting to look like he might be that guy if he beats Aldo.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

fatherdog posted:

That's a completely different statement than "boxing is dead", and also probably true

Im pretty sure the biggest winner was Floyd Mayweather, who got paid like 200 million dollars and literally won.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

NippleFloss posted:

Im pretty sure the biggest winner was Floyd Mayweather, who got paid like 200 million dollars and literally won.

He's also heavier than either Lomachenko or Santa Cruz

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

thehappyprince posted:

is the burns fight on uk time?

McDonnell v Kameda is on now http://www.stream2watch.com/live-tv/us/cbs-live-stream

I assume it's alright to post a stream if it's on free-to-air

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
This fight had more action in the first 2 rounds than the whole MayPac fight lol

OOhhhh a knock down

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
so what's Floyd's take from that? that's an insane number

e: good lord

quote:

GOING into last weekend’s “Fight of the Century” against Manny Pacquiao, Floyd Mayweather was expected to earn more in one bout than any athlete ever had in a whole year.

The number tossed about was $180 million, the lion’s share of a split of $300 million with Pacman.

"If cable systems wound up being 60 per cent of the total, that would mean the final figure is a mindboggling 5.625 million.”

5.625 million: almost double the initial forecast.

So what does that mean in terms of dollars?

Well, if the initial forecast was based on $100 per pay per view, Mayweather will now be splitting roughly $560 million.

If that were the case, Mayweather’s split would be an incredible $336 million, while Pacquiao would pocket $224 million.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC fucked around with this message at 21:34 on May 9, 2015

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Mauro's play by play is so much better than Kevin Harlan or Marv Albert. I know they want big names on commentary to draw in channel surfers but having actually quality play by play by veterans of combat sports seems really important for keeping audiences

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
Wow that was a fantastic fight great last round!

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

I've lost so much money betting against Jamie McDonnell over the years

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Never seen much in Figueroa but Burns is long past it, probably gonna get stopped

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
gently caress Lawrence Cole. Quote this if you agree.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

ta for the link.

burns throwing his right hand really weirdly

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21

The SituAsian posted:

gently caress Lawrence Cole. Quote this if you agree.

He really is the worst

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Laurence Cole is the single worst ref in all of boxing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Thank you Mauro and Virgil. get this no necked nepotism case out of the sport.

Seriously, if his dad wasn't the former Texas State commissoner this dingus wouldn't even be reffing toughman fights at the strip club.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhfGx7vk12Q

• Locked thread