Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Let's go further and call the pig Earl Grey and the floating cat Chamomile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uInzbCBRvnw

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Why are you guys calling Mr. Satan "Hercule" and the makankosappo "special beam cannon?" My 13 year old self is confused and angry.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

My first exposure to Dragon Ball was Dragon Power (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIDcnRqwFAc), so I use Dragon Power translations.

Goku
Nora (Bulma)
Pudgy (Oolong)
Lancer (Yamcha)
Wind Wave (kamehameha)

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:
Technically "Gokuu" is the proper romanization since "Goku" would just be pronounced like "Gohk". Nobody's going to call him that though because he's already established as Goku. I think "Gokou" and "Gokuh" stem from awkward attempts by Toriyama/Toei to romanize the name, and fans who insinuate either one is the right pronunciation are wrong and dumb.

Anything other than "Krillin" sounds weird. "Kuririn" is a pun stemming from "kuri" - chestnut and a reference to his baldness, and "Shaolin". "Krillin" has the added bonus of being a pun, too, since "krill" refers to his diminuitive stature; "Kululin" is meaningless.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcu8s-X-EqA

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Leroy Dennui posted:

Anything other than "Krillin" sounds weird. "Kuririn" is a pun stemming from "kuri" - chestnut and a reference to his baldness, and "Shaolin". "Krillin" has the added bonus of being a pun, too, since "krill" refers to his diminuitive stature; "Kululin" is meaningless.

He put it on his hat. That's good enough for me.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Blaze Dragon posted:

Coming from the Latin American dub,

Hey, I have a question for you! Do you remember the dub doing anything interesting based on using tú vs usted? I always lament the loss of specific politeness levels in translation in English if they were there in the original. Were there things like was Gohan calling everybody usted left and right?

Speaking of things that are hard to translate, do you guys remember this? This bit here is not (just) a moment for Toriyama to indulge in the absurd, it's actually a cultural allusion. In this scene, the tournament announcer has just told the audience that the presiding monk of the temple at which the tournament is being held will open the tournament with a brief speech.

In Japanese, the onomatopoeia for barking is "mu." If it's spelled like 無 the word "mu" also means "no, not, nothing, nothingness." There's an apparently well-known Buddhist story that the student goes to the master and asks "Does a dog have a Buddha nature or not?" (with 無 for not) The master answers "Woof." (無)

rly makes u think, doesnt it

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

That's interesting, because the only dog barking onomatopoeia I'm familiar with is "wan."

Spidder
Jan 9, 2005

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

kuririn is not acceptable under any cirumstances

Yes lets make all names two syllables or less so retarded americans can process them <- US dub logic

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Spidder posted:

Yes lets make all names two syllables or less so retarded americans can process them <- US dub logic

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Some Numbers posted:

That's interesting, because the only dog barking onomatopoeia I'm familiar with is "wan."

You know what, I may have misspoke. I said that because that's the way the story was told to me (outside the context of dragonball) but further research shows that "mu" does not typically mean "woof" and that apparently per one interpretation of the koan the master was barking "mu" in the manner of a dog (like Scooby-Doo speak I guess.)

https://books.google.com/books?id=N...barking&f=false

And apparently the other interpretation is that the master was just saying a dog doesn't have a buddha nature (Does a dog have a buddha nature or not? Not.) Another interpretation is that the master is saying "nonsense," as in "that is a stupid question."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mu_%28negative%29

Regardless, it appears that in Dragonball, dogs DO have a Buddha nature since the grand master of the temple happens to be one. Does anyone have scans of the original Japanese? Now I bet the dog's dialog is in fact "wan" but, I still think this scene is an allusion to the koan.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Spidder posted:

It took me like at least 20 episodes to remember and recognize everyones names in yu yu hakusho because they were japanese and more thsn two syllables.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

the amount of times the name urameshi is said you think you would've caught on to that one

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Xibanya posted:

You know what, I may have misspoke. I said that because that's the way the story was told to me (outside the context of dragonball) but further research shows that "mu" does not typically mean "woof" and that apparently per one interpretation of the koan the master was barking "mu" in the manner of a dog (like Scooby-Doo speak I guess.)

https://books.google.com/books?id=N...barking&f=false

And apparently the other interpretation is that the master was just saying a dog doesn't have a buddha nature (Does a dog have a buddha nature or not? Not.) Another interpretation is that the master is saying "nonsense," as in "that is a stupid question."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mu_%28negative%29

Regardless, it appears that in Dragonball, dogs DO have a Buddha nature since the grand master of the temple happens to be one. Does anyone have scans of the original Japanese? Now I bet the dog's dialog is in fact "wan" but, I still think this scene is an allusion to the koan.

Yup, no "mu" at all, just "wan", they pulled your leg. I've never heard that thing about "mu" being an onomatopeia for barking either.

mabels big day posted:

It took me like at least 20 episodes to remember and recognize everyones names in yu yu hakusho because they were japanese and more thsn two syllables.

Your a meshi.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Spidder posted:

I will not be happy until they give him his proper American name - Chuck.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Xibanya posted:

Hey, I have a question for you! Do you remember the dub doing anything interesting based on using tú vs usted? I always lament the loss of specific politeness levels in translation in English if they were there in the original. Were there things like was Gohan calling everybody usted left and right?

I'm sorry, I don't remember. I watched it as a kid, so my memories of the whole thing are fuzzy. I could give it a rewatch but uuugh even the Saiyan Saga is way too long in the original series, and Kai got a horrible dub here in comparison to the original series dub. Every VA was changed because it was too expensive to get the original ones. Fans were pissed, and Dragon Ball is kind of a very big thing here. Thankfully, things got fixed by Battle of Gods so both movies got the original cast, including our super-manly Freezer.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
I think I prefer the dog just randomly barking, actually

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Raserys posted:

I prefer to think DB is just a show/comic for kids honestly.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I just watched an episode of Dragon Ball where Yajirobe killed a guy and then cooked and ate his corpse.

Don't see that every day.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Raxivace posted:

I just watched an episode of Dragon Ball where Yajirobe killed a guy and then cooked and ate his corpse.

The fact that Yajarobe was once equals with Goku is still amusing to me.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

StrifeHira posted:

Have you seen what an all senzu bean diet does to a man?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

StrifeHira posted:

And that's probably without training, given how lazy he is. Imagine if he did, we'd have a Golden Yajirobe on our hands.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Raxivace posted:

To be fair, if you read Toriko or One Piece, that poo poo happens all the time.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Wait, when did that happen in One Piece?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Prison Warden posted:

To be fair, if you read Toriko or One Piece, that poo poo happens all the time.

Don't be daft, no one dies in One Piece.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

Petiso posted:

Your a meshi.

*You're a meshi. :smaug:

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Well... in One Piece he kills and eats animals all the time, but animals in One Piece are about as intelligent as humans and can talk amongst themselves and poo poo so it's just as hosed up.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

Raserys posted:

It's not entirely random, I would say; how would your dog respond if you commanded it to speak?

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Petiso posted:

Yup, no "mu" at all, just "wan", they pulled your leg. I've never heard that thing about "mu" being an onomatopeia for barking either.

Sweet, thanks! I was trying to track the original page down but unaltered scans of the original DB manga are surprisingly hard to find.

Regardless, I still think those panels are an allusion to that koan. Does a dog have a Buddha nature? Toriyama says yes.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Happy Piccolo Day, everyone.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

mabels big day posted:

Happy Piccolo Day!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

There are sometimes I hate living on the West Coast.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Huh, I thought Father's Day was in June.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Some Numbers posted:

There are sometimes I hate living on the West Coast.

:ssh: You can still celebrate. I'm in South Cali, but not gonna let a few hours of time difference ruin any fun.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I know what he's doing to celebrate his day

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Actually, it's still the eighth, you cannot trick me

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Ruggington posted:

Actually, it's still the eighth, you cannot trick me

It's the 9th in Australia aka the only place that I care about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGcACmuCcUo

• Locked thread