Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Naramyth posted:

That change with the new knight book making everything them all LoW slots will really kill knight detachments which makes a couple of my friends super happy.

I strongly suspect with the changes to Knights Frontline will drop the penalties for Lords of War (+1 Seize, extra VPs for damaging it) as well as the 0-1 restriction on them, because otherwise it makes Knights as an army unplayable- which they are not in the habit of doing.

Boon posted:

They went too far. Why would you completely restrict the change that was made? They might as well have just said that all the Distort weapons the Eldar got instead follow the 6th edition rules. If the option would have been 2 of 3 bikes may take a heavy weapon the result would have likely been overwhelming.

Str D guns are still really, really good even with the change. I know I'll be bringing 6+ of them in every Eldar army I field, and I still think Eldar are arguably the strongest codex in the game even with these changes. The difference between a Str 10 weapon and a Str D weapon (even with changes) is enormous. Just look at how likely they are to damage AV12/13/14 targets, not to even mention doing multiple wounds and ignoring saves.

Two-per-three as a restriction on Bikes (or two per squad, regardless of size) I think I could've lived with, but wasn't offered as an option. I probably still would've voted for no change on the Bikes just to play it out a bit and see how things happen, but eh...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Stanyer89, I'm glad you're turning into our very own thread rules lawyer.

Mango Polo posted:

:circlefap:

Even though I don't like the ultras much, they have loving style.

Oh hay, cool, something x10 better than the IW or Raven Guard uppgrayedd kits

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 21:49 on May 8, 2015

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

BULBASAUR posted:

Oh hay, cool, something x10 better than the IW or Raven Guard uppgrayedd kits
They're Ultramarines, everyone else aspires to be 1/10th as good as they are :agesilaus:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

serious gaylord posted:

He looks like hes going to be ace and im very excited to paint this one

Sure that's Papa Smurf? Looks like it could be Dorn, given that Papa Smurf pretty consistently sticks to power fists in the fluff while Dorn likes his swords. Unless he's got both, like one of his hands looks like it could be.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

Cythereal posted:

Sure that's Papa Smurf? Looks like it could be Dorn, given that Papa Smurf pretty consistently sticks to power fists in the fluff while Dorn likes his swords. Unless he's got both, like one of his hands looks like it could be.

Theres an ultramarine symbol on his chest. It's papa smurf.

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

BULBASAUR posted:

Stanyer89, I'm glad you're turning into our very own thread rules lawyer.

"If your life is given in service to the Emperor, your death shall not be in vain." -Chaplain Hauis Argento, Crimson Fists 2nd Company

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Cythereal posted:

As has already been said, that's got to be Guilliman. Plus, Dorn's 30k rules have him using a giant-rear end chainsword.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Actually, fluff-wise the Gauntlets of Ultramar are something he claims from the corpse of some unnamed Chaos Champion. Now I am pretty sure he is using double powerfist in Betrayer when he fights Angron and Lorgar, but I think that is an oversight on ADB's part simply because the Gauntlets as the Relic of Relics for the Ultramarines has become pretty iconic.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
One of the fists is pretty obviously a powerfist.

I thought the Gauntlets were just Guilliman's normal armour gauntlets though - it's just that on a normal space marine they wind up being giant power armour.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

One of the fists is pretty obviously a powerfist.

I thought the Gauntlets were just Guilliman's normal armour gauntlets though - it's just that on a normal space marine they wind up being giant power armour.

Not even master-crafted in the last codex.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
He gets the sword on Armatura. His trademark weapons before that (and after, to a degree) are lightning claws.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

Safety Factor posted:

As has already been said, that's got to be Guilliman. Plus, Dorn's 30k rules have him using a giant-rear end chainsword.

And there's the little U in the center of the chest.Reading is hard, so heres a red terror.

Hencoe fucked around with this message at 23:04 on May 8, 2015

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Hencoe posted:

And there's the little U in the center of the chest.

Yeah, someone already said that. Like I said. :v:

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

I wouldn't expect anything from Guilliman combat wise other than being a middle of the pack fighter as far as Primarchs go, but with some really nice army encompassing special rules, much like Calgar for 30K.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

Wasn't Guilliman supposed to be some sort of expert swordsman?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
He was an expert everything-fighting-man.

Hencoe posted:

And there's the little U in the center of the chest.Reading is hard, so heres a red terror.

Took me a while to parse that, and now I can't help but see the giant alien monster standing up on two tiny little legs.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Uroboros posted:

I wouldn't expect anything from Guilliman combat wise other than being a middle of the pack fighter as far as Primarchs go, but with some really nice army encompassing special rules, much like Calgar for 30K.

Very few of his brother Primarchs would be able to take him on alone. Five, maybe six at best. AT BEST.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Sulecrist posted:

Very few of his brother Primarchs would be able to take him alone. Five, maybe six at best. AT BEST.

The Horus Heresy books say otherwise, that Papa Smurf was fairly low-key in a direct combat sense. What made him special was his strategic brilliance and organizational skills.

I'd expect him to be on the weak end of primarchs fighting but to be a huge force multiplier with special rules.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Cythereal posted:

The Horus Heresy books say otherwise, that Papa Smurf was fairly low-key in a direct combat sense. What made him special was his strategic brilliance and organizational skills.

I'd expect him to be on the weak end of primarchs fighting but to be a huge force multiplier with special rules.

I'm quoting Know No Fear. From memory, though--it might have been "Four or five, at best. AT BEST."

Edit: if I remember correctly, the real monsters are supposed to be, in no particular order, Angron, Sanguinius, Russ, and the Khan.

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 23:44 on May 8, 2015

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Sulecrist posted:

I'm quoting Know No Fear. From memory, though--it might have been "Four or five, at best. AT BEST."

I'm chalking that up to in-story hyperbole. Just about every primarch is hyped up in-story as an unstoppable badass even among primarchs, except Lorgar. We'll see how the rules shake out, but I think there's enough ungodly beatstick primarchs already, and I think Papa Smurf's fluff is a shoe-in to make him a support-oriented primarch.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The quote from know no fear is right, there are only about four or five of the primarchs that could take Guilliman.

Mostly because they're the only ones smart enough to get into a fight one on one with him. The rest he'd outmanouver and blow up in space or something.

Strength of Many
Jan 13, 2012

The butthurt is the life... and it shall be mine.

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Dreamforge's Valkir Assault Troops with head and weapon swaps are a very nice alternative.

A blog talking about this conversion, with WIP shots: http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2015/02/plastic-sisters-wait.html

In all honesty I really like the regular Sororitas armor. All it really needs is a feathered breastplate instead of boob cups, and curb any high heels in favor of heeled boots if we must continue that trend.

These are good but maybe too much of a departure from the ornate and holy warrior look the Orders Militant are expected to have.

Sulecrist posted:

Edit: if I remember correctly, the real monsters are supposed to be, in no particular order, Angron, Sanguinius, Russ, and the Khan.

Roboute held his own against Angron and, judging by the events that occurred, might have even killed him then and there were it not for Lorgar getting in the way. He also took on two other Primarchs at the same time and walked away relatively unscathed -- as far as Primarch battles go, anyway. In short, Girlyman is one of the scarier Primarches in direct combat, though certainly no Sanguinius or Horus. Granted he also had plot power righteous fury behind him at the time, maybe if he wasn't so driven he would have a more clear-cut loss in single combat.

Shame he got shanked by that cowardly snake a few centuries later..

Strength of Many fucked around with this message at 23:56 on May 8, 2015

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Huge scrubs: Lorgar, Alpharius, prolly Corax, prolly the Lion, Magnus maybe.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

can we all agree that the Iron Warriors are the best legion

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

Omar al-Bishie posted:

Yes, Perturabo's rules are also pretty baller, hopefully he gets the iron circle in a later book.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Safety Factor posted:

Yeah, someone already said that. Like I said. :v:

And to top it off, two nipple-U's and a giant WWE "U" belt. Ain't no lack of U's on this guy.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

Omar al-Bishie posted:

Uh... No.

Strength of Many
Jan 13, 2012

The butthurt is the life... and it shall be mine.

Sulecrist posted:

Huge scrubs: Lorgar, Alpharius, prolly Corax, prolly the Lion, Magnus maybe.

In terms of martial prowess, the Lion was an equal match if not the superior of Russ. But then Russ seems to have varying and inconsistent power levels throughout the game lore.. I like the guy. Shame about his legion.

Corax was probably good but also probably way too traumatized by the drop site massacre to be a real contender during the Heresy, at best I'd expect him to pull off a kamikaze victory in a primarch battle.

Lorgar was always a chump and got played like one, don't care if he solo'd a bloodthirster or whatever. Its very clear he is incredibly weak unless handed down a edict from on high.

Magnus was never touted as being a physical dynamo despite his size, and yet he still grimly committed himself to battle with Russ for.. how long was it, another three days and three nights deal? Pretty good for a nerd sorcerer.

Finally, Alpharius is definitely the weakest in terms of 'this is my power list' like every other genecrafted superman in the setting, but he also probably has Batmen-level contingency plans to get around all of their bullshit and kill them anyway.

Omar al-Bishie posted:

Cool siege/mechanical warfare themes and aesthetics, terrible legion identity and Primarch. 'The most willpowerest and grimly stoic' is like an attribute you can assign to just about every single space marine legion, traitor and loyalist, and subsequent warbands and chapters.

Its like saying a generic male anime protagonist is interesting because he's 'very determined'.

Strength of Many fucked around with this message at 00:39 on May 9, 2015

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
It strikes me as a little bit lame for Guilliman to be among the upper percentiles of primarchs in physical combat, because he's got so much else going for him in the fluff. He should be more similar to Lorgar, but with bureaucracy instead of religion.

Really though, I imagine they're close enough in aggregate power level that any one of them can probably win on a given day if the fluff writer in question likes the taste of his dick more than the other guy's. Because we all know that's what power levels come down to in the 40k fluff, even when the good writers are in charge.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
I can't wait to see what they do with Perturabo and Rogal Dorn as far as the models go, but the psychotic murderer Konrad Curze will always be my favorite primarch. POWAH LEVELS be damned.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Sulecrist posted:

Well, only one of those has gotten a rules release (Angron) and it turns out he's a pile of hot, steaming garbage, so that may not bode well for the others.

Strength of Many posted:

In all honesty I really like the regular Sororitas armor. All it really needs is a feathered breastplate instead of boob cups, and curb any high heels in favor of heeled boots if we must continue that trend.

These are good but maybe too much of a departure from the ornate and holy warrior look the Orders Militant are expected to have

I like the design on the regular SoB armor as well (they're the one faction I feel like the "uber-gothic skulls and poo poo everywhere" look really works for), but good luck convincing GW to ever give them a model release. They're too busy inventing entirely new factions to give Sisters even a single new sculpt in three editions.

Omar al-Bishie posted:

I just thought that was so universal it was inherently understood and didn't need to be discussed. IRON WITHIN, IRON WITHOUT.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

AbusePuppy posted:

I just thought that was so universal it was inherently understood and didn't need to be discussed. IRON WITHIN, IRON WITHOUT.

Technically, Yes, because they are only Legion left...

Anyway, I was given to understand that Horus, Sanguinius, Russ, Angron, Lion, and Fulgrim were all the top dogs in 1v1 combat. It is kind of plainly shown that Jugati is a bit of a badass as he pretty much put Motarian in his place. Kurze easily has the biggest variation, but you can chalk that up to how reliable his magical see into the future powers are being. Considering Vulkan pretty much bitchslaps Kurze while weaponless/armorless it is safe to say Kurze is among the weaker primarchs when his Prescience isn't there to help him out. I assume Magnus is more than a match for any of them if he really puts his heart into it. We don't see much of Corax, but it is safe to assume he is the good-guy version of Kurze, same fighting style, likes to use claws. Dorn, Perturabo, and Ferrus Manus all kind of occupy the same tier of "boring" in my mind, but I'd rank them all on the weaker end with Kurze whooping up on Dorn, and Perturabo only beating Fulgrim due to the later's colossal arrogance.

So yeah, makes sense for Guilliman to really just be dead in the center of pack as far as how much damage he can do in the battle, anything other than making him a force multiplier character(like all Ultramarine characters) would be a waste.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Ferrus only died because he didn't want to kill his best bro

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Uroboros posted:

Technically, Yes, because they are only Legion left...

Anyway, I was given to understand that Horus, Sanguinius, Russ, Angron, Lion, and Fulgrim were all the top dogs in 1v1 combat. It is kind of plainly shown that Jugati is a bit of a badass as he pretty much put Motarian in his place. Kurze easily has the biggest variation, but you can chalk that up to how reliable his magical see into the future powers are being. Considering Vulkan pretty much bitchslaps Kurze while weaponless/armorless it is safe to say Kurze is among the weaker primarchs when his Prescience isn't there to help him out. I assume Magnus is more than a match for any of them if he really puts his heart into it. We don't see much of Corax, but it is safe to assume he is the good-guy version of Kurze, same fighting style, likes to use claws. Dorn, Perturabo, and Ferrus Manus all kind of occupy the same tier of "boring" in my mind, but I'd rank them all on the weaker end with Kurze whooping up on Dorn, and Perturabo only beating Fulgrim due to the later's colossal arrogance.

So yeah, makes sense for Guilliman to really just be dead in the center of pack as far as how much damage he can do in the battle, anything other than making him a force multiplier character(like all Ultramarine characters) would be a waste.

Magnus, I assume is going to kick Lorgar Transfigured in the pants as spellcasting primarchs go. He's probably going to be a psychic phase monster and a half.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

Ferrus only died because he didn't want to kill his best bro

Been ages since I read the book, I thought he was pretty much beyond mercy, but was just totally outclassed. I thought the shock of betrayal sent him into a rage.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Uroboros posted:

Been ages since I read the book, I thought he was pretty much beyond mercy, but was just totally outclassed. I thought the shock of betrayal sent him into a rage.

Yeah but Fulgrim escaped the first time and the second time they fought Ferrus beat the poo poo out of him but hesitated for long enough for Fulgrim to behead him.

E: I take my Iron Hands very seriously, because they are the best

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

Yeah but Fulgrim escaped the first time and the second time they fought Ferrus beat the poo poo out of him but hesitated for long enough for Fulgrim to behead him.

You have good opinions.

Where can I read about Ferrus being a badass?

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

I thought Fulgrim sucker-punched him the first time...

Anyway, I honestly liked the way that book ended with Fulgrim being trapped in his own psyche, it seemed like a fitting fate, then they changed it for no drat reason...

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Hencoe posted:

I love the red terror, but I have yet to have him eat anyone important. Just Nobs and Sergeants. Kind of disappointing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Uroboros posted:

I thought Fulgrim sucker-punched him the first time...

Anyway, I honestly liked the way that book ended with Fulgrim being trapped in his own psyche, it seemed like a fitting fate, then they changed it for no drat reason...

It provided an excuse to write sadomasochistic sodomy into the lore. If you don't think that's a good reason then I'm not sure what to tell you.

• Locked thread