Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Stanley Goodspeed posted:

I came here from the War Thunder thread where they said that IL-2 Sturmovik: 1946 was only $5 at Indie Gala. Anyway I bought it but now I'm realizing there's like 900 versions of this game and you guys are talking about Battle of Stalingrad and that's like $60 and did I get the wrong version and I'm a dumb idiot or do people still play what I picked up?

Edit: Okay yeah mine came out like eight years ago so that kind of explains why it was so cheap. gently caress.

You did great and are among friends.

Battle of Stalingrad is visually very nice and the flight model is decent but there's not much to do/not much of a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

The Ferret King posted:

IL2 1946 (the old one you bought) is what the last several posts are discussing.

Oh then I'm extra retarded sorry. :downs: Have trouble telling all the versions apart but I guess IL-2 4 would be equally dumb as a naming convention.

pixelbaron posted:

You did great and are among friends.

Cool! I'll try to get my stick setup and play next weekend after finals have finished dragging me over the coals.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Stanley Goodspeed posted:

Oh then I'm extra retarded sorry. :downs: Have trouble telling all the versions apart but I guess IL-2 4 would be equally dumb as a naming convention.

My bad, I didn't make it clear in the War Thunder thread that the thread I linked had an OP for a different IL-2 game.

The old IL-2 thread is here with writeups on how the game works and some popular maps to download: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3461966

Is the Steam group still active?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Steam group is still active post your poo poo and I'll add you.

Also I can put aside some time for IL2 this weekend and probably evenings next week. Its so loving cold I had to layer up to bike home tonight.

I'm staying in and playing games. gently caress going out in this.

So start chiming in, people. When do you want to fly planes?

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

damnit Matt get in the boat

EvilJoven posted:

Also I can put aside some time for IL2 this weekend and probably evenings next week. Its so loving cold I had to layer up to bike home tonight.

I'll get IL-2 off of gog. I can play m-f 7-10 edt. Weekends depend on my work schedule. Might even be able to start hosting again. My upload no longer sucks.

EDIT: Are we going to patch to 4.12.2? GOG's on 4.11

Snapshot fucked around with this message at 01:35 on May 9, 2015

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

I'm free most evenings after 6PM Pacific until I feel like sleeping, and any time this weekend should work.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Snapshot posted:

I'll get IL-2 off of gog. I can play m-f 7-10 edt. Weekends depend on my work schedule. Might even be able to start hosting again. My upload no longer sucks.

EDIT: Are we going to patch to 4.12.2? GOG's on 4.11

Yep 4.12.2

EDIT: pretty sure no IL-2 tonight.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 01:45 on May 9, 2015

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

EvilJoven posted:

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197983301351/

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

EvilJoven posted:

tadaaaa http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198000346110/

I'm currently jobless, so I'm good for basically any time. Whenever I find work that'll change though.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Bought IL-2 1946 for nostalgia value... menu music starts, MAXIMUM NOSTALGIA :stare:

Is the really no keybinding for radiator control? There's a HOTAS axis for it, but I haven't got enough axes for that.

Edit: Its just a single button. Cowl/Armor Flaps.

Sauer fucked around with this message at 04:06 on May 9, 2015

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
It's there somewhere. I think its mislabeled as cowl flaps.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

EvilJoven posted:

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197961232149/

I'm around late like after 9PM PST weekdays and generally whenever on most weekends.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

EvilJoven posted:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/raguuu/

Evenings, around 9:00 EST (UTC -5) on weekdays, weekends are basically free now.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Here's an N1K doing its impression of my subsequent carrier landing: http://i.imgur.com/87H2MYP.gifv

That was a good campaign while it lasted. :britain:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

EvilJoven posted:

Count me in as well: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197983286848/

I'll be around most evenings on UTC+2, as well as basically any time on weekends.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
:siren: IL-2 1946 Tonight at 6 PM CDT :siren:

This session might be a touch of a clusterfuck because it's been a while but we're going to try something new: NO MAP ICONS BUT YOUR OWN

With the tiny bit of play time I've put in BoS with other goons we've found that icons off makes for a more interesting experience. It means needing to keep your head on a pivot, keeping an eye on your 6 and is overall more intense.

We'll leave your own map icon on because unlike BoS there's virtually no way to distinguish landmarks and gently caress getting lost.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I guess I should stop being :effort: and figure out 1946 and set up my X52 for it.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Shine posted:

Here's an N1K doing its impression of my subsequent carrier landing: http://i.imgur.com/87H2MYP.gifv

That was a good campaign while it lasted. :britain:

My first carrier landing.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

pixelbaron posted:

My first carrier landing.

Looks like you only broke your engine! :downs:

Are we going to use complex engine management? If so then I'll need to do some practicing with it.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
CEM and separate engine start is always used in goon flying because I'd rather not host than not get to engine sperg.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

EvilJoven posted:

CEM and separate engine start is always used in goon flying because I'd rather not host than not get to engine sperg.

Looks like I need to learn the engine sperg

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Apparently Blue doesn't necessarily mean "friendly" on the map. Took a P-38 out to a quick fly on some pacific map to work on controls. At one point I took fire from the ground and it set fire to one of my engines, queue me learning to keybind separate engine controls so I could turn it off. After a while of toying with that and some other settings I decided I might as well try to land the bitch and headed to the island marked with blue icons on the map. Flew over several marked AA sites with seemingly no trouble and made a lovely emergency landing at the airstrip where I broke a landing gear and skidded right off the end of the runway. The second I came to a halt all the AA guns around the field opened up and trashed my P-38. I guess that was a few Japanese planes I saw in a line at the start of the runway. :downs:

Assholes. :argh:

EvilJoven posted:

There is no way to make this stuff optional? I'm still struggling to figure out a decent keybind setup and other beginner issues, let alone worrying about fuel mixes and prop pitches.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 19:40 on May 9, 2015

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
I feel that this doesn't accurately represent CEM.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Apparently Blue doesn't necessarily mean "friendly" on the map. Took a P-38 out to a quick fly on some pacific map to work on controls. At one point I took fire from the ground and it set fire to one of my engines, queue me learning to keybind separate engine controls so I could turn it off. After a while of toying with that and some other settings I decided I might as well try to land the bitch and headed to the island marked with blue icons on the map. Flew over several marked AA sites with seemingly no trouble and made a lovely emergency landing at the airstrip where I broke a landing gear and skidded right off the end of the runway. The second I came to a halt all the AA guns around the field opened up and trashed my P-38. I guess that was a few Japanese planes I saw in a line at the start of the runway. :downs:

Assholes. :argh:

There is no way to make this stuff optional? I'm still struggling to figure out a decent keybind setup and other beginner issues, let alone worrying about fuel mixes and prop pitches.

In 1946 blue is axis, iirc.

For CEM go a/z for prop pitch up/down s/x for mix up/down and for engine selection CTL num 0 for unselect all engines Ctrl 1-4 for toggle select engine 1-4 Ctrl 7 toggle left engines Ctrl 8 select all Ctrl 9 toggle right engines

Badaboom done you can now engine sperg

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

As somebody who's only recently got back into this, complex engine management really is pretty straightforward. I'll attempt a summary:

Prop pitch is mostly just a way to control your engines' RPM. If they're running high you increase the prop pitch some, if they're running low you decrease it. Most of the time you can just leave it at 80%-ish and be alright.

Mixture is mostly dependent on altitude. Most of the time you can just leave it at 100%, if you go higher you can decrease it for better efficiency. I think during takeoff you can also increase it for a bit of extra power.

Supercharger is also related to altitude. If you're climbing up high and find your engine losing power, knock the supercharger up a stage and you're fine. Take it back down a stage when losing altitude again.

I honestly have no idea what the Magneto even does, but it hasn't given me trouble yet. :v:

Honestly, most of the time you can just leave things on the default setting and won't lose out on much performance. Or alternatively just fly german planes, they tend to automate everything. Meanwhile, being able to control each engine individually can be pretty handy if they get damaged and you want to disable, extinguish, or feather them.

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

EvilJoven posted:

:siren: IL-2 1946 Tonight at 6 PM CDT :siren:

This session might be a touch of a clusterfuck because it's been a while but we're going to try something new: NO MAP ICONS BUT YOUR OWN

With the tiny bit of play time I've put in BoS with other goons we've found that icons off makes for a more interesting experience. It means needing to keep your head on a pivot, keeping an eye on your 6 and is overall more intense.

We'll leave your own map icon on because unlike BoS there's virtually no way to distinguish landmarks and gently caress getting lost.

I'm definitely in! I'm pretty poo poo at IL-2 compared to Rise of Flight so it'll be interesting to exactly how poo poo I am, at least taking off (not on a carrier) is something I can definitely do!

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

In 1946, is there a way to make Track IR's z-axis change the FOV versus just making the pilot's head move forward?

To illustrate (click for big):

Leaning in with TrackIR.

Changing the FOV with a button.

Changing the FOV zooms in on the planes so they appear larger, even though they were farther away than they were in the TrackIR screen. War Thunder has spoiled me, because the TrackIR z-axis in that game behaves the way IL-2's FOV controls do. It pretty much eliminates the need to hit a button for zooming.

e: My "face" is closer to the gunsight in the FOV picture, but take my word for it that you'll see the same difference even if you get the TrackIR lean so that the gunsight is the same relative size on the screen as the FOV picture.

Shine fucked around with this message at 23:04 on May 9, 2015

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Running a touch late eta 25m

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Perestroika posted:

I honestly have no idea what the Magneto even does, but it hasn't given me trouble yet. :v:

Magneto controls are related to the spark plugs and ignition system. You turn them off to help deal with engine fires or something.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
You punks rolling with 4.12.2?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Rocksicles posted:

You punks rolling with 4.12.2?

Yup, with no mods. I just hopped out but they might still be playing.

We were flying bf 109 F-4s and tearing up squads of P-40s. The first mission took place at like 3AM, in pitch darkness. We had HUD markers so we could still spot enemy planes, but even then you could barely see the plane itself to actually shoot the drat thing. It was pretty intense!

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I now know how to modify the plane icons. It can be done on the fly from the console. This will probably be both easier and harder from now on. Easier because I can make it so that from 10km out or so planes show up as an @ symbol or something.

Harder because I can set all the other stuff like color and type not display until you're on top of it.

I can also make each side show as the same or different color when showing the @ symbol so we can still sorta spot things at night.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
I just messed around in it a little bit before bed and the BF-109F flies its on rails :gay:.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Shine posted:

Yup, with no mods. I just hopped out but they might still be playing.

We were flying bf 109 F-4s and tearing up squads of P-40s. The first mission took place at like 3AM, in pitch darkness. We had HUD markers so we could still spot enemy planes, but even then you could barely see the plane itself to actually shoot the drat thing. It was pretty intense!

Yeah, the desert mission was really fun. First a nice bit of ground attack (where we ended up accidentally strafing our own tanks for a few minutes :frogbon:), then suddenly there were like three squadrons of P-40s pouncing us.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Is there any chance sessions could be earlier at all? I'd love to fly with you guys but last night it was midnight when you all started over here in England.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'm not going to be scheduling anything for set times until the fall. Basically, I keep my weekends free in the summer and unless the weather is miserable you won't find me online playing games.

Once it's cold and I'd rather stay in and my wife plays hockey for a few hours on weekends, that's when I'll schedule things and it's at random times whenever her games get scheduled.

Other than that, jump on IRC or mumble and start seeing if you can get people to play. If I'm around you might be able to convince me or someone else to play.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rvvyl2casxhd7n8/MissionsCo-op.zip?dl=0

Here are a shitload of cool and good co-ops I have collected over the years for 1946. Put all those folders in your Missions > Net > coop folder and enjoy, and maybe help host from time to time because this game really doesn't need a great system or connection to host multiplayer. I used to host games for 20+ goons on a really lovely DSL connection years ago and we didn't have any issues. You can play them by yourself too.

I will also try to get back into hosting these once I have a little more time.

pixelbaron fucked around with this message at 21:29 on May 11, 2015

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

pixelbaron posted:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rvvyl2casxhd7n8/MissionsCo-op.zip?dl=0

Here are a shitload of cool and good co-ops I have collected over the years for 1946. Put all those folders in your Missions > Net > coop folder and enjoy, and maybe help host from time to time because this game really doesn't need a great system or connection to host multiplayer. I used to host games for 20+ goons on a really lovely DSL connection years ago and we didn't have any issues. You can play them by yourself too.

I will also try to get back into hosting these once I have a little more time.

I don't often run into you in IRC or Mumble but I want to offer my thanks again for hosting the AirGoons mumble server. We really appreciate it.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
You're welcome. It's still a pretty active community and that makes me happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I have a pretty great Beaufighter mission i made on my old HDD. Is flying formation, in the dark, over PNG for a slim chance at sinking a Japanese carrier and its escorts, too :spergin: ?