Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Super loving low, It had lower numbers than Arrow or Flash with a huge lead-in, and probably costs more than both those shows combined.

Plus the set-up is exceedingly similar to Supernatural anyway.
Way more likely WB try to get it onto cable or streaming, or just give up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
I hope the John Ridley Marvel project is still happening somehow. I'd love to see a weekly Marvel show outside the espionage genre.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Best-case scenario: Matt Ryan plays John Constantine on CW's DC's Legends of Tomorrow.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I should also point out that Constantine, despite having a perfect lead, wasn't actually a very good show.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Skwirl posted:

I should also point out that Constantine, despite having a perfect lead, wasn't actually a very good show.

that's disappointing. i thought the first previews looked pretty good, and Neil Marshall directing a few episodes was promising.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

that's disappointing. i thought the first previews looked pretty good, and Neil Marshall directing a few episodes was promising.

I didn't hate it or anything, it's main problem is the female lead in the pilot didn't test well so they replaced her with someone written even worse.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I didn't think Constantine was that bad at all. It wasn't super high quality, but it was by no means lovely television. Hell it didn't even have as many eye rolling moments as Arrow and Flash tend to have, writing wise.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I liked it a lot. Then again I never read the comic and don't give a poo poo if he smokes and obsess over how close the cigarette got to his face every scene.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Matt Ryan was one of the best-cast actors ever in a comic book adaptation. I'd rank him up there with Downey, Stewart, McKellan, Jackman, Ledger, and J.K. Simmons. After Keanu Reeves stunk up the otherwise-not-horrible movie, Ryan just nailed the character perfectly. Plus, I loved the little touches of the greater DCU that were starting to show up toward the end of the season.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jackman's a terrible Wolverine, he's just been doing it so long nobody remembers that Wolverine is supposed to be a smelly, hairy, gross hobbit.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Jackman's a terrible Wolverine, he's just been doing it so long nobody remembers that Wolverine is supposed to be a smelly, hairy, gross hobbit.

I didn't realise Jackman was playing him in 1982.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's the only one he's not in.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Stephen Amell said he'll guest star as Arrow on Constantine if Netflix/other TV network picks it up. http://moviepilot.com/posts/2015/05...external,manual

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

teagone posted:

Stephen Amell said he'll guest star as Arrow on Constantine if Netflix/other TV network picks it up. http://moviepilot.com/posts/2015/05...external,manual

That's a really easy promise to make when something's dead in water.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

teagone posted:

Stephen Amell says a lot of things about stuff he has no control over. He wanted his cousin to play some big character at one point (Bruce Wayne?) before he was cast as Firestorm. He also talked about how he wanted the Arrowverse to be in the movie continuity before it was announced that it wouldn't be (and before the cast a different Flash.)

greatn posted:

I liked it a lot. Then again I never read the comic and don't give a poo poo if he smokes and obsess over how close the cigarette got to his face every scene.

Yeah, I never read the Hellblazer comics, so my only knowledge of the character is post New 52 and Injustice, and I thought they did perfectly fine. Also he smoked on the show more than once, which was more than I was expecting since they made it seem like he was literally banned from having it any where near his face. He smoked more than almost any other character I can think of in any show that I currently watch. (On a side note, I find it funny that old syndicated shows like Friends still show people smoking despite airing at earlier hours.)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

Stephen Amell says a lot of things about stuff he has no control over. He wanted his cousin to play some big character at one point (Bruce Wayne?) before he was cast as Firestorm. He also talked about how he wanted the Arrowverse to be in the movie continuity before it was announced that it wouldn't be (and before the cast a different Flash.)

And those are relevant to this thing he actually does have some control over how?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Amell seems pretty chill and also send to have fully embraced the DCU.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

And those are relevant to this thing he actually does have some control over how?

What control do you think he has over Constantine being picked up by CW? It's not going to happen and the sooner you make peace with that the better.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

He has control over what shows he can play Arrow on? Unless I am missing a thing where he is a producer on Constantine and Arrow, I am pretty sure it isn't his decision to make whether or not he can be on the show, and more importantly, whether or not Constantine, if saved, would be rolled into the Arrowverse.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Skwirl posted:

What control do you think he has over Constantine being picked up by CW? It's not going to happen and the sooner you make peace with that the better.

None, but that's not what he offered.

ToastyPotato posted:

He has control over what shows he can play Arrow on? Unless I am missing a thing where he is a producer on Constantine and Arrow, I am pretty sure it isn't his decision to make whether or not he can be on the show, and more importantly, whether or not Constantine, if saved, would be rolled into the Arrowverse.

Sure. He can't go decide to play the character on another show, but they can't make him do it if he doesn't want to either. At least not on the contract he would have right now.

Folding it into the Arrowverse doesn't help much if they can't legitimize it. He's making the offer that if this is something DC/WB is considering, he wants to help solidify it.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 04:56 on May 9, 2015

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

None, but that's not what he offered.

I just don't get why we're talking about The Arrow guest starring in a show that's never going to have another episode.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Madkal posted:

Amell seems pretty chill and also send to have fully embraced the DCU.

He is pretty chill it seems and I don't dislike him for having big ideas for the direction of the TV shows he's on. I am just saying that he clearly has little to no pull on any real decision making with regards to any show/movie that isn't Arrow. So him being willing to be Arrow in places is ultimately irrelevant, because he'd probably be down for playing Arrow on anything. I wonder how he feels about his cousin dropping Firestorm right when they were going to give the character a role on a spin off.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Skwirl posted:

I just don't get why we're talking about The Arrow guest starring in a show that's never going to have another episode.

Because Amell offered up a guest spot as incentive for Netflix/another network to pick it up? It's an interesting prospect. Personally, I don't get why you're getting so worked up about it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

He is pretty chill it seems and I don't dislike him for having big ideas for the direction of the TV shows he's on. I am just saying that he clearly has little to no pull on any real decision making with regards to any show/movie that isn't Arrow. So him being willing to be Arrow in places is ultimately irrelevant, because he'd probably be down for playing Arrow on anything. I wonder how he feels about his cousin dropping Firestorm right when they were going to give the character a role on a spin off.

His cousin is still Firestorm.

Garber isn't joining the spinoff as Firestorm, he's joining as the science guy of the team.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

teagone posted:

Because Amell offered up a guest spot as incentive for Netflix/another network to pick it up? It's an interesting prospect. Personally, I don't get why you're getting so worked up about it.

I'm not worked up, it's just something that is never going to happen. The only show Netflix rescued from oblivion was Arrested Development, and that had three seasons under the belt already, took years and had a very vocal fan base. Constantine has none of that.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

His cousin is still Firestorm.

Garber isn't joining the spinoff as Firestorm, he's joining as the science guy of the team.

I thought the reason for that was because the other Amell wasn't going to be around anymore. I kind of doubt the CW executives looked at the two of them and were like, "ditch the young dude and the super powers, we need the old guy on the show. "

Besides, Palmer is on the show isn't he? He's already a science guy.

Would Netflix do an original series with Time Warner at this point when they signed a massive deal with Disney and are producing numerous superhero shows with them already?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

And Kimmy Schmidt, The Killing, Clone Wars, Trailer Park Boys, the How to Train Your Dragon TV series, and Longmire.

ToastyPotato posted:

I thought the reason for that was because the other Amell wasn't going to be around anymore. I kind of doubt the CW executives looked at the two of them and were like, "ditch the young dude and the super powers, we need the old guy on the show. "

Besides, Palmer is on the show isn't he? He's already a science guy.

Would Netflix do an original series with Time Warner at this point when they signed a massive deal with Disney and are producing numerous superhero shows with them already?

Palmer is also one of the crew. Stein is supposed to be the Felicity/Science team stay at the base guy.

I mean they're not going to CGI fire up 66 year old Victor Garber and have him fly around and shoot fire. That would just be silly.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I wouldn't mind Amell not being firestorm of it meant Jason Rusch can be Firestorm instead.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

And Kimmy Schmidt, The Killing, Clone Wars, Trailer Park Boys, the How to Train Your Dragon TV series, and Longmire.

Clone Wars was them airing the final season. And Disney owns Star Wars now, which might have had something to do with that. I can't speak for the other shows, since I don't know if any of those are Time Warner owned. I am pretty sure Kimmy Schmidt isn't exactly a competing show for Daredevil and Iron Fist though.

My assumption was that, as part of the massive contract with Disney, which included making a handful of comic book shows, that there might be a clause in there that says, "please don't also make other comic book shows with competing companies during this period." I'm guessing they would want some level of exclusivity if they were going to spend a bunch of money making a specific type of content for Netflix.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Fine I'm wrong and when Constantine has a second season on Netflix I'll kill and eat a crow.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

WB made Constantine. If it were to go to Netflix, Hulu, Crackle, I don't know, WB would still be the production company.

I mean I don't think it's going to happen anyway, but Netflix has picked up plenty of stuff besides Arrested Development and they wouldn't actually be doing any development of the show, so it's not as impossible as you guys are saying.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 05:42 on May 9, 2015

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I don't think it's completely impossible, just incredibly unlikely (due to the reasons I stated.) I would also love nothing more than to be wrong about this because I would like the show to come back.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Waterhaul posted:

Deadline are right 9.5 times out of 10 and are legitimate Hollywood insiders with the reputation to post things. It's not like badasssuperherocomicbookbatmanmarvelcrushfix.com posting a dumb list.

This was true when Nikki Finke was still with them. Since she departed their batting average got a lot worse. Still better than anyone else's though.

Decius fucked around with this message at 06:59 on May 9, 2015

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Best-case scenario: Matt Ryan plays John Constantine on CW's DC's Legends of Tomorrow.

More Matt Ryan without more Zed? I'm onboard.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Having Amell behind it will bring out the CW lunatics that probably didn't even watch it, sending cigarettes or some poo poo to CW

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Not that means a lot, but Joseph Morgan and William Shatner have also said they would guest star if the show is picked up

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

CW is unlikely to pick up. They only have 10 hours a week available for the all the shows they renewed and the shows coming in. They only cancelled two shows this year so there's not much real estate left. And with three DC shows already I don't know if they'll really want to brand themselves as the DC network by picking up a fourth one.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Don't they four shows either on air or in the works total?

Regardless, if they are going to keep expanding into that territory, it's not going to be for a proven failure with limited brand recognition like Constantine.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's loving owned by Warner, "Hey CW, you are picking up Constantine, cancel that wack vampire poo poo." "Yes i am serious" *click*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cultureulterior
Jan 27, 2004
They ordered Lucifer to series. Yes, the Lucifer where he helps the LAPD capture criminals