Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

paragon1 posted:

The room on fire from a flamethrower didn't slow her down, and normal humans can't breath much at all in that kind of environment.

Yeah but being unhurt by extreme temperatures explicitly is part of her anomaly. It's entirely possible that CO gas would kill her just as fast as a regular person since her blood chemistry is the same, and we have no indication that she can control things on a subatomic level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
The doctor mentioned her scar was rejecting absolutely everything. If her anomaly can reject uv light, I think it can reject poison. I really doubt poison gas would work.

She might need oxygen, so strangulation is possible. But how are you going to keep her from oxygen for the several minutes it would take her to pass out? As soon as she starts feeling short of breath, she just super leaps to safety. Perhaps an elaborate trap could snare her, but it would be tough.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Wittgen posted:

The doctor mentioned her scar was rejecting absolutely everything. If her anomaly can reject uv light, I think it can reject poison. I really doubt poison gas would work.

She might need oxygen, so strangulation is possible. But how are you going to keep her from oxygen for the several minutes it would take her to pass out? As soon as she starts feeling short of breath, she just super leaps to safety. Perhaps an elaborate trap could snare her, but it would be tough.
Nitrogen gas (or hypoxia in general) will generally make people die before they think they're even close to death. It also reduces your mental capacity.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTNX6mr753w

e: To be clear, nobody dies in this video.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
That's why I specified "in her sleep" and also actually said "not toxic gas" when I brought it up in the first place. But also it takes very little time for pure inert gas to cause unconsciousness.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
Proper exposure to toxic gas puts a regular human down after one inhalation. Also gasses like nitrogen and whatnot when used to replace oxygen do not cause any distress reaction if done slowly, because you inhale nitrogen with every breath of regular atmosphere.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

reignonyourparade posted:

That's why I specified "in her sleep" and also actually said "not toxic gas" when I brought it up in the first place. But also it takes very little time for pure inert gas to cause unconsciousness.

Ironically, sleeping somewhere out in the open with no concealable access paths would be her best protection from attacks during sleep. If she hung out at the top of a hoodoo, good luck stealth-gassing that.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I wonder how much she feels warm and cold, comfort-wise. I mean she's aware, but does she feel as uncomfortable in the cold as a normal person?

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 09:02 on May 8, 2015

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

MikeJF posted:

I wonder how much she feels warm and cold, comfort-wise. I mean she's aware, but does she feel as uncomfortable in the cold as a normal person?

The last chapter established that she can feel warm and cold, during the conversation with her sister.

And I got to say, while I have been down on this entire segment, the latest page is really drat satisfying.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Holy poo poo! That's some catharsis.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Yeah, I like Alison.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
"A mind reader thinks I'm an idiot, I've never been so insulted" has to be the best loving thing in this entire drat comic.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Alison must have developed fire powers too, because that is some serious burn she's laying down there.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I do like her calling him on all the contradictions in apparent value judgements :allears:

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
Ah, thank you for angry Allison. Now break the window, jump out and just get the gently caress out of that office.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
I think Patrick's been deliberately pushing Alison away because he is falling in love with her and doesn't know how to deal with it. Maybe he's afraid that he's been manipulating her into being attracted to him without meaning to, maybe he's just afraid of intimacy in general, maybe it's something else we don't know about yet. Hence the supervillain monologue, delberately goading Alison into hating him to keep her at a distance. I'm don't think it's because he thinks Alison is an idiot, more that he's acting out of desperation because if he doesn't push her away right now then he won't be able to resist his own reciprocal feelings. Or maybe I'm just being a daft ole shipping goon who should get back to the Homestuck thread.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
I would imagine being in an intimate relationship with someone over a long period of time would be difficult for a mind reader. Being around someone and having their thoughts constantly in your head would probably lead to some issues of identity eventually you'd probably wonder which thoughts are your own and which is the other persons. Or even just unconsciously manipulating the person you love and then hating yourself for it.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

I just noticed the colors behind Alison's text bubble in panel five. Even when she's offscreen, her presence is completely dominating Patrick.

I think him falling for her makes sense, though there is surely something else besides. He's up to something, something he knows she wouldn't approve of.

But yeah, his facial expressions over the course of the comic make me think he has feelings for Alison. He could just be a great actor, but that's boring. It makes sense that he would be scared of emotional intimacy. Knowing everything about everyone around you is pretty much the opposite of intimacy. There's no trust. There's no exposing yourself to emotional risk.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
It's also difficult for him because he's used to being in charge of the situation pretty much all the time. He's the guy who has six layers of people between him and anything real, who knows everything that's coming before it happens, and who always knows what to say and do to make people do what he wants. Being in a situation where that doesn't work has to be deeply uncomfortable for him, and Alison appears to represent a threat to his control in multiple ways; she knows more about him than probably anybody else, she could kill him or arrange for him to be jailed for life at basically any moment she chooses and he can't do a thing to stop her, and he genuinely appears to care for her in his own hosed-up-brain kind of way. So he pushes her away to minimize the threat. And if he feels that he's dedicated himself to The Greater Good, which appears to have been his motivation in becoming a supervillain in the first place, he's probably excusing his own behavior to himself on the basis that he can't afford to be distracted and that she won't approve of the various shenanigans he's getting up to behind the scenes.

Now I am really curious what's in that box he got her.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

idonotlikepeas posted:

Now I am really curious what's in that box he got her.

11 pages ago he got her box set of MLP.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I was so caught up in enjoying Angry Alison Time I completely neglected the alt text the first go round.

At least they're self-aware about Patrick! :v:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Can someone please arrange an airdrop of microphones to whatever office building they're in, because Allison is dropping one every loving sentence here and I'm afraid she'll run out before she's done calling Patrick on all his bullshit :stare:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, this page is deeply satisfying.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Gnome de plume posted:

Alison must have developed fire powers too, because that is some serious burn she's laying down there.

quoting from the comments on today's page:

quote:

drat, Allison. Fire-fighters are supposed to save people from lethal burns, not deliver them.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Wait when the hell did Allison start to fly? Cause that should be pointed out she basically levitated off the ground and everything around her.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

akulanization posted:

Yeah but being unhurt by extreme temperatures explicitly is part of her anomaly. It's entirely possible that CO gas would kill her just as fast as a regular person since her blood chemistry is the same, and we have no indication that she can control things on a subatomic level.

It's not the heat in a fire that kills you usually, it's all the smoke and the fire sucking up all the oxygen. Far more people are killed by smoke inhalation than are actually burned to death. Which is why I brought up a previous incident where she would have been exposed to that sort of thing.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Hollismason posted:

Wait when the hell did Allison start to fly? Cause that should be pointed out she basically levitated off the ground and everything around her.
Last page was the first time anyone's seen it. We're not sure when it started to happen, but I don't think that was the first time, because Allison's reaction wasn't "oh poo poo what's this" it's "oh poo poo my emotions are out of control again, calm down calm down".

Incidentally, do we know just how smart Allison is? Because schoolwork was right up on the list of things she could do effortlessly well when she was a kid and, y'know, doing everything so effortlessly well she honestly didn't know that it was hard for other people. I'm starting to get the feeling that even among all the showy mega-geniuses she's hanging out with, Allison is the smartest person in the world and she's just... not being showy about it, because she learned back in grade school to dial that poo poo back to avoid attention.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

I don't think she's a a mega genius. I think she's a run of the mill, top percentile smart young woman. That's enough to explain school being easy, but it's a far cry from inventing AI as a side project or becoming an expert on time travel in a few hours.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Wittgen posted:

I don't think she's a a mega genius. I think she's a run of the mill, top percentile smart young woman. That's enough to explain school being easy, but it's a far cry from inventing AI as a side project or becoming an expert on time travel in a few hours.
That would honestly make a lot more sense.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I would think her insane physical fitness would make her a superior scholar in any case. Surely her condition has benefits in terms of focus and endurance even for mental stuff?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Wittgen posted:

Yeah, but Patrick is a telepathic super-genius master manipulator with the accumulative knowledge of multiple lifetimes of geniuses, and Allison is just running rings around him.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

CapnAndy posted:

Yeah, but Patrick is a telepathic super-genius master manipulator with the accumulative knowledge of multiple lifetimes of geniuses, and Allison is just running rings around him.
I guess he forgot to pick up their mundane social skills.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

CapnAndy posted:

Not really. If we were playing chess and in response to your making a series of moves I upended the board, would you say I was running rings around you?

Its beating him in the whole Gordian knot sort of way - when you can't win, change the game. Very different from being a superior player. She can't out talk him or out reason him or out manipulate him, but she can sure as poo poo out intimidate him.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

She can also just be right. Patrick is smart and his rationalizations are elaborate. The substance of what he's saying is bullshit. Alison doesn't have to be smarter than Patrick. She just has to be smart enough to realize it's bullshit.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
You don't have to be particularly smart to make it through high school without ever being challenged by your schoolwork, you just have to:

1) Pay attention a bit in class
2) Not have ADHD or dyslexia or something
3) Have an easy enough life in other areas so that schoolwork can be given an appropriate amount of attention

Alison's not really that smart (she's not stupid either), she was just born into circumstances that allowed her to do well in school.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
You also have to actually absorb and implement data for it to be of use. Patrick can't just pick up other people's social skills and use them without more or less letting them overwrite his own personality, because his inability to cope with this situation and his way of looking at the world are interlinked.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Note that this could ALSO be an elaborate ploy by Patrick to make Alison so angry that she has a tantrum and her somadynamism pops out. If it's happened before, he'd know about it from her memories, and he's been subtly provoking her all evening. Maybe has some kind of multi-layered plan to use her force bubble for EEEEVIL.

Guess I'm still not convinced that Patrick isn't screwing Alison over somehow.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Mirage posted:

Note that this could ALSO be an elaborate ploy by Patrick to make Alison so angry that she has a tantrum and her somadynamism pops out. If it's happened before, he'd know about it from her memories, and he's been subtly provoking her all evening. Maybe has some kind of multi-layered plan to use her force bubble for EEEEVIL.

While he might have his secrets and not be entirely upfront, that's still probably secondary to what's going on here.

The idea that super powers can mess you up to the point that you end up having some serious baggage because of it is pretty much one of the central themes of the comic. In that sense, Patrick is probably in the same boat as everyone else.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Mirage posted:

If this turns into some David Xanatos matryoshka doll of "appearing to thwart my last plan WAS my plan all along!" absurdity, especially after the word salad we were just tossed around in for the past few weeks, I'm dropping this loving thing.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

paragon1 posted:

It's not the heat in a fire that kills you usually, it's all the smoke and the fire sucking up all the oxygen. Far more people are killed by smoke inhalation than are actually burned to death. Which is why I brought up a previous incident where she would have been exposed to that sort of thing.

In city fires that's totally true, but if you're caught up in a bush fire, it's the radiant heat that will get you :eng101:

Remember kids - different strategies for different emergencies!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Hollismason posted:

She's not flying, she's just so pissed off that her telekinetic field is pushing the planet away.

• Locked thread