Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

goatface posted:

Knowing what we do of Imperial psy-powers, I would see a planet of psykers ending up like all non-earth peoples in the "Out of the Violent Planet" setting by Greg Stolze.

Basically, psykers can dominate lesser minds, and in time learn to incorporate their thralls' power into their own. A few power-hungry psychopaths later, and a snowball effect gets rolling until a number of group-minds are warring and one eventually crushes all opposition, producing a planet populated by what is a sort of psychic super-entity. Maybe like a slime mould, a whole mass of parts that can operate independently but are better working as part of the gestalt.

Exactly the sort of reason why you stay suspicious and kill them with fire if they get uppity.

Eh, we do already have a canon example of a planet of psykers and it turned out more or less okay until the Space Wolves, Custodes, and Sisters of Silence had their way with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Tias posted:

Yeah, but as I said, the only thing the Imperium does not tolerate is secession. Even potential sedition is (according to the book of judgment) punishable by having yourself and three layers of family executed. As I interpret it, I doubt even a space marine would be allowed to suddenly start a colonization project outside the purview of the Adeptas Ministorum and Administratum without conflict brewing.

I dunno, some space marine chapter deciding to dump a bunch of colonists on a death world to see if it results in a better recruitment source seems like a Thing That Would Happen.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

a campaign, in "everyone is psychic" world, where the players must oversee the administratum moving the Golden Throne there because it's cheaper than scouring the galaxy with black ships for this unimaginably rare resource

the players take the role of a regiment of Pariahs, each festooned with digi-meltas and unique xenos artefacts as their standard kit, who must project manage this move.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

a campaign, in "everyone is psychic" world, where the players must oversee the administratum moving the Golden Throne there because it's cheaper than scouring the galaxy with black ships for this unimaginably rare resource

the players take the role of a regiment of Pariahs, each festooned with digi-meltas and unique xenos artefacts as their standard kit, who must project manage this move.

In the tragic fallout of this, your version of the Imperium Secundus has TWO eyes of terror

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Azhais posted:

I dunno, some space marine chapter deciding to dump a bunch of colonists on a death world to see if it results in a better recruitment source seems like a Thing That Would Happen.

"Well we had all these pilgrims and we were heading towards that shrine world, but you know stuff came up and now we were going in the opposite direction and we had to do something with them."

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

Mega autists with lovely service industry/manual labor jobs with literally everyone around them more gifted than they are? I don't like method acting.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Cythereal posted:

Eh, we do already have a canon example of a planet of psykers and it turned out more or less okay until the Space Wolves, Custodes, and Sisters of Silence had their way with it.

Pfft, they all ended up as walking suit-golems and thrall sorcs. The process was already underway before a shot was ever fired! Don't believe the heretical propaganda!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

goatface posted:

Pfft, they all ended up as walking suit-golems and thrall sorcs. The process was already underway before a shot was ever fired! Don't believe the heretical propaganda!

I was thinking more about the regular people of Prospero, who seemed to do fine for themselves.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They're the thralls.

Wouldn't moving the Golden Throne require shifting a chunk of webway about? The Eldar response to that could make an interesting diversion for team-autist.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

The upside is I think nulls spook space elves even harder than chaos guys do.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Just think of all the fun you could have with a bunch of murder-hobo/billionaire autists rampaging through the webway with a "borrowed" crude webway map.

Storm the Black Library and burn it down because they won't serve you exactly 16 chicken nuggets on a white plate. Invite Slaanesh to a roundtable conference in Commorragh on the virtues of self-control. Rewrite the Exodite estate laws and charge them back-rent on a whole planet.

Good times.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Azhais posted:

In the tragic fallout of this, your version of the Imperium Secundus has TWO eyes of terror

great, now hell has depth perception

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Something something nurgle, something *lazy eye joke here*.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 03:15 on May 9, 2015

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
I think the ruthless hive mind thingy really depends on the interpretation; it's too heavily dependent on a lot of stuff that hasn't been specified, like how the psykers develop, culture, etc. I'm not familiar with Greg Stolze at all.

I was thinking more along the lines of like, ship tribes, so like a Void-Born Regiment of Sanctioned Psykers.
Maybe flip things around a bit, so the players are a tribe that's been adrift on a massive Space Hulked Black Ship for ages. So like, you've recovered from whatever poorly remembered disaster forced your ancestors to hole up in the most heavily warded parts of the ship, and now that the Warp tides have subsided, you're going to go out and explore and retake the ship? Go hunting for a water chip :v:

Something like Void-Born (Psyker); Fixed; Close Assault; Cyber-Enhanced; Close Quarters Battle; Tainted?
You're the best and brightest of the new generation, your tribe's pride and joy; they've outfited your exploration team as best as they can. They see you off with a feast, before you head out to explore farther than anyone has ever gone in living memory.

edit:
I gotta find that DW book on Space Hulks; did it work well?

Rockopolis fucked around with this message at 05:49 on May 9, 2015

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

goatface posted:

Just think of all the fun you could have with a bunch of murder-hobo/billionaire autists rampaging through the webway with a "borrowed" crude webway map.

They already made that movie

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Azhais posted:

They already made that movie

Oh, hi, Scrunts.

Time Bandits was a hell of a drug.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Can nulls even enter the webway? :psyduck:

I suppose they can travel through the warp on a ship.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
You can move equipment through the webway so why wouldn't you be able to bring nulls?
I always assumed someone opens the webway with psychics or tech and then you just walk through.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Riso posted:

You can move equipment through the webway so why wouldn't you be able to bring nulls?
I always assumed someone opens the webway with psychics or tech and then you just walk through.

Necrons use the webway, and they lack psykers, so there must be an alternative method or two.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Tias posted:

Necrons use the webway, and they lack psykers, so there must be an alternative method or two.

They do? I never thought/read about how their weird transportation/phasing poo poo worked.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Riso posted:

They do? I never thought/read about how their weird transportation/phasing poo poo worked.
They generally use Dolmen Gates, which are artificially created access points into the Webway. Naturally many of them have either crumbled from age or been targeted by the Eldar, but the Necrons are by no means bereft of FTL travel.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

a squad of space marine primarchs, each in command of a blackstone fortress, descend onto Psyker Planet to recover The Platinum Throne

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

NGDBSS posted:

They generally use Dolmen Gates, which are artificially created access points into the Webway. Naturally many of them have either crumbled from age or been targeted by the Eldar, but the Necrons are by no means bereft of FTL travel.

I miss the OldCrons, who just had inertia-less FTL drives and completely ignored the warp. Having them just hack into the webway just felt kinda... meh.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

FireSight posted:

I miss the OldCrons, who just had inertia-less FTL drives and completely ignored the warp. Having them just hack into the webway just felt kinda... meh.

Yeah this is pretty much the only part of the Newcrons lore that I don't like. And also no more Pariahs

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I thought necrons literary teleport? I remember reading a blurb about a ship appearing on Mars which should have been impossible given the defenses (and then getting wiped out instantly).

That was awhile ago though so they were surely old necrons regardless.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Oldcrons have both accurate reliable long range teleports and casual FTL, yes. Some of that may be due to the nature of the C'Tan. They're strange, and distort reality with the weight of their existence.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Pharmaskittle posted:

I thought necrons literary teleport? I remember reading a blurb about a ship appearing on Mars which should have been impossible given the defenses (and then getting wiped out instantly).

That was awhile ago though so they were surely old necrons regardless.

The Mars incident was Oldcrons, and was due to their starships' stealth technology. They were supposed to be the pinnacle of non-warp technology, operating on principles humanity at its height might have only dimly grasped.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Pharmaskittle posted:

I thought necrons literary teleport?

Mr. Bingley had soon made himself acquainted with all the principal people in the room; he was lively and unreserved, danced every dance, was angry that the ball closed so early, and talked of giving one himself at Netherfield. Such amiable qualities must speak for themselves. What a contrast between him and his friend! Mr. Darcy danced only once with Mrs. Hurst and once with Miss Bingley, declined being introduced to any other lady, and spent the rest of the evening in walking about the room, speaking occasionally to one of his own party. His character was decided. He was the proudest, most disagreeable man in the world, and everybody hoped that he would never come there again. Amongst the most violent against him was Mrs. Bennet, whose dislike of his general behaviour was sharpened into particular resentment by his having slighted one of her daughters.

Elizabeth Bennet had been obliged, by the scarcity of gentlemen, to sit down for two dances; and during part of that time, Mr. Darcy had been standing near enough for her to hear a conversation between him and Mr. Bingley, who came from the dance for a few minutes, to press his friend to join it. Before he could do so, a commotion arose in the far corner of the room, as a group of metallic gentlemen entered through a lurid green gate, carelessly set in the ballroom wall and quite spoiling the rococo finish.

"I say-" said Mr Bingley, as a jet of green fire flashed him to ashes.

+JUST PASSING THROUGH+, rasped one of the metallic gentlemen, as they proceeded onwards to a matching gate set in the opposite wall.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

"I say-" said Mr Bingley, as a jet of green fire flashed him to ashes.

+JUST PASSING THROUGH+, rasped one of the metallic gentlemen, as they proceeded onwards to a matching gate set in the opposite wall.

:golfclap:

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!
This week in BLACK CRUSADE :black101:. The heretics had run into a problem with the pirates using their station as a refuge getting somewhat antsy. The problem was that the normal shipping that the pirates preyed upon, giving a portion to the heretics and their station for safe harbor, kept getting jumped by someone else. The only clue that had was an ork sigil upon the burnt out transports. So the heretics take their frigate and head off to go find out how the orks kept intercepting all the merchant shipping in the area. They do manage to find the orks, unfortunately they stumbled into an ork trap that was filled with ork roks! They run for it, and also stumble into the ork command ship, a kill krooza. They realize that even though their frigate can punch above their weight, it can't punch that hard. The group manages to punch a gap and flees back to their station in the nearby system.

Once they get back, the heretics start assembling all the pirates in the station into a pirate armada. Additionally, the heretek and the apostate decided that having a station full of thousands of psykers and filled with loyal crew isn't enough. They start laying explosives all over the place when no one is paying attention. To quote the apostate, "how much more loyalty will they have when they realize they're sitting on a powder keg of explosives that only we control?" Once they finish up, the group drops in on the orks via warp jump thanks to some amazing piloting and psychic rolls. At point blank ranges, the ork fleet, and the pirate armada start tearing each other to pieces. To end though, the kill krooza led by their ork nemesis, KAPTIN' KRUNCH, harpooned the frigate and now the heretics face an entire ship of freebootas who are eagerly waiting to board their own vessel.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
I figure that a Psyker Regiment would be more dependent on XP than equipment. Should be one way to try sidestepping the loot creep.
Although hilariously enough, you could add a Force Staff to the Regimental standard equipment.

Fluffwise, I figure they'd be some Radical's pet project, probably Polypsykana or Xanthite, though it's probably not garish enough to be really radical.
If it's organized, they might almost be like, for propaganda as much for anything useful. If you really want to get cynical, it's run through the Ecclesiarchy so they're a bunch of miracle warriors.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I would read Pride and The Inevitable Death of The Flesh. Only once though, to say I did.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure you can't get anything over Very Rare into Standard Kit, and Force stuff starts at Extremely.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

You are correct. My mistake.

Comedy option, replace Logistics Rating with Ratings; make it a High-Born Regiment and have pictcasters following them around, Reality-TV style. The Real Psykers of Scintilla? Pysker Dynasty? Whatever it is, go and crash the Overlord's ball.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

goatface posted:

I'm pretty sure you can't get anything over Very Rare into Standard Kit, and Force stuff starts at Extremely.

Not if it's Poor Quality.

e: actually, my mistake, even if it's Poor Quality. Quality only effects how hard it is to get, not how rare it is. If you see what I mean.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Not if it's Poor Quality.

e: actually, my mistake, even if it's Poor Quality. Quality only effects how hard it is to get, not how rare it is. If you see what I mean.

Force weapons can't be poor quality anyway.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Not sure if this is the right thread, but does anyone know where I can get some map assets for a roll20 40k game? Or anything that can approximate 40k at least.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Xun posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread, but does anyone know where I can get some map assets for a roll20 40k game? Or anything that can approximate 40k at least.

I found some good token assets on Dark Reign. Otherwise, Tokentool makes it really easy to clip and crop any artwork you want into map tokens.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Neat avatar, Night10194 ;)

Ablative posted:

Force weapons can't be poor quality anyway.

It would be rather fun if they could, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Is a Psyker squad the kind of thing you'd send against enemy psykers?
You're set up to be heroes, for propaganda, and you're sent in against hard targets and psykers, but you're also all wearing explosive collars against the time when you become too heavily corrupted to continue?

It's a shame Blanks are so rare. A Blank OW squad would be fun, like an anti-psyker kill team.
Great for method acting roleplaying too, they'd be a pack of unpleasant, unwashed goons :spergin: the enemy to death. Go chasing after Eldar waifu and they just scream and flee in revulsion.