Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

prussian advisor posted:

Umm isn't Old Blood a straight up remake of the first two acts of RTCW? There's some differences, but the overarching events seem identical.

Edit: Having heard it now a couple times, the end credit music for Old Blood is about as fitting as end credits music can be. I love the tone of both of these games, it's such a bizarre combination of over-the-top pulp absurdity and melancholy dreariness.

They're remakes except they're also not? If you really wanted to you could see it as retconning the first chapter of RTCW to be right before TOB. Act 2 and 3 totally happen before this game, but act 1 is basically being remade in TOB so who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
There's just a lot of ancient zombie magic under German churches.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 17:34 on May 8, 2015

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Comic books retell and reimagine the same story over and over in the hands of different artists and writers so why can't games

Broose
Oct 28, 2007

Bolow posted:

Also I'm glad I have the entirety of the first episode of Wolf3d ingrained into my memory that I'm pretty sure I can pass it off to my children because Hans Grosse would be literally impossible unless you knew where the secret room is to actually have something besides pistol and assault rifle :v:

Hans was a chump for some reason. He went down with like two mags of the rifle. I guess for those who don't know that secret.

Noirex
May 30, 2006

Man, all the little details I'm finding while replaying TNO again. The early cut scene in TNO where Blazkowicz tells Private Wyatt to inhale, count to 4 and exhale sounds familiar doesn't it?

TOB spoilers- It's the secret trick Wesley taught him to do before he dies :(

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Noirex posted:

Man, all the little details I'm finding while replaying TNO again. The early cut scene in TNO where Blazkowicz tells Private Wyatt to inhale, count to 4 and exhale sounds familiar doesn't it?

TOB spoilers- It's the secret trick Wesley taught him to do before he dies :(

nice

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

And then BJ wept, for there were no more Nazis left to kill.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

prussian advisor posted:

I love the tone of both of these games, it's such a bizarre combination of over-the-top pulp absurdity and melancholy dreariness.

This is exactly why I'm loving these games so much, the combination is perfect.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.
Just finished TNO. TOB is next and then maybe Wolf09? Is 09 worth it at all?

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Kontradaz posted:

Yes it's a really fun shooter

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Kontradaz posted:

Every Wolfenstein game is worth playing.

Even the old Castle Wolfenstein/Beyond Castle Wolfenstein. :colbert:

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Do I never get that sweet double barreled shotgun from the start of the game back? Just got to Wulfsburg. The semi auto big clip one is ok I guess but that other one was really satisfying to use.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

thebardyspoon posted:

Do I never get that sweet double barreled shotgun from the start of the game back? Just got to Wulfsburg. The semi auto big clip one is ok I guess but that other one was really satisfying to use.
You're getting it back very soon.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

thebardyspoon posted:

gently caress yeah you do. You'll get it soon.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
It's also accompanied by one of the funniest visual jokes in the game.

Darth Ballz
Apr 30, 2003
Feel the burn

kefkafloyd posted:

I think what really got me about the nazi flood elevator before the vault was that it showed just how drat long it takes BJ to reload, especially when dual wielding. The best gun for blowing up Nazis is the sawed-off but you have to go for maxim. The Shockhammers take ages to reload and dual rifles ain't that much better. I'm not sure if this was the case in TNO because i haven't played it in a few months but BJ can't reload on the run at all in this game. Zombies just ate me alive during reloads, and you can't really cover to get any time. This fight was brutal on Death Incarnate, I can't imagine what it's like on Uber.

Also, I hated the quick-turn around mechanic and the fact it was on the same key as sprint. Worthless for a PC player and I couldn't find a way to turn it off.

But it's more wolfenstein and I pretty much loved every minute of it, especially the credits. Bring on the sequel to TNO where BJ's daughter and Caroline blow up the Boys from Brazil.

I did it on Uber; I put my back to the "stair wall" and crept backwards as each wall descended. I peppered the room with grenades to take care of the initial zombies, and, because I was backing up away from their crawling out points, it gave me both time and distance to aim and reload.

As for the final boss on Uber, I literally sat with my back to the lower wall, a bit off to the left. I would fire at the monster, then sprint to the right and crouch (just in case he did an arm sweep). he never hit me. When the enemies started coming out of every where, I would toss grenades their direction to focus the monster on them (trying not to leave my spot). If an enemy came down to my area and the monster didn't get him, silent pistol for the kill. It takes timing and patience but it worked eventually.

Also, am I doing something wrong? i did all the nightmares (got the trophies), but the trophy for actually doing all the nightmare levels did not pop.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I just experienced something similar - I did the nightmare level for chapter 3, but got no achievement for it. The achievement for the level 1 nightmare level worked just fine, though.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I just have to gush about this game for a minute.

I love The New Order. There's no denying that it is a totally bitchin' game. BUT The Old Blood is just this laser focused unadulterated celebration of BADASSNESS. I love I love it.

prussian advisor posted:

I love the tone of both of these games, it's such a bizarre combination of over-the-top pulp absurdity and melancholy dreariness.

THIS. I have no idea how Machinegames pulled this off, but this is one of the main things that make these two games work so amazingly well to me. One minute you're infiltrating a Nazi labor/death camp and the next you're shooting guys on the moon with laser rifles. In The Old Blood, one second you're bashing zombie heads in with a jagged pipe and the next you're crying because Kessler: I WILL GO TO BERLIN AND SPREAD THE FLYERS IN HONOR OF MY WIFE AND MOST LIKELY DIE A HORRIBLE DEATH :cry: . How does this combination work without the two elements bashing into each other and creating this discordant tone? :iiam:

Thank loving god a modern FPS has come out where the devs actually payed attention to the SOUND DESIGN, which is at least 50% of how good guns feel to use.

50%: Sound
25%: Weapon modeling
25&: Reload animations (no I'm serious)

Weapons in these games are chunky and heavy looking without taking up all the godamn screen real estate, they animate well, and sound amazing. The weapon and item pickup sounds are satisfying. The pacing is perfect. Enemies are fun to fight, the environment is fun to traverse, even picking up the useless gold items feel good (what an epic sound :allears: )

Running down a stone corridor with two assault rifles blazing in each hand is more satisfying than the entirety of most other action games. Just, just...:swoon:

10 lead pipes out of 10

Henker
May 5, 2009

Killing Floor 2 did weapons really well too. Everything feels and sounds meaty and the animations are great.

But this is the Wolfenstein thread, so I want to say it's fun to shoot Nazis in the face with a sawn-off shotgun. Also, I felt slightly bad when Rudi was crying about his dog, mostly because I have a massive spot spot for dogs.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
Rudi had his virtues; so did Helga.

God drat, Machinegames, you are so good at what you do.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

Rudi had his virtues; so did Helga.

Helga actually comes over suprisingly enough as a mostly respectable and well-adjusted person outside of the whole being a nazi thing.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

Henker posted:

Killing Floor 2 did weapons really well too. Everything feels and sounds meaty and the animations are great.

But this is the Wolfenstein thread, so I want to say it's fun to shoot Nazis in the face with a sawn-off shotgun. Also, I felt slightly bad when Rudi was crying about his dog, mostly because I have a massive spot spot for dogs.

fuckin dogs are poo poo. I laughed when BJ said "I killed your loving dog!"

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I hate killing dogs in video games, even part robot Nazi dogs. So the first half with Rudi kinda sucked with how many dogs I knifed in detailed, gruesome fashion

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I just have to gush about this game for a minute.

I love The New Order. There's no denying that it is a totally bitchin' game. BUT The Old Blood is just this laser focused unadulterated celebration of BADASSNESS. I love I love it.

THIS. I have no idea how Machinegames pulled this off, but this is one of the main things that make these two games work so amazingly well to me. One minute you're infiltrating a Nazi labor/death camp and the next you're shooting guys on the moon with laser rifles. In The Old Blood, one second you're bashing zombie heads in with a jagged pipe and the next you're crying because Kessler: I WILL GO TO BERLIN AND SPREAD THE FLYERS IN HONOR OF MY WIFE AND MOST LIKELY DIE A HORRIBLE DEATH :cry: . How does this combination work without the two elements bashing into each other and creating this discordant tone? :iiam:

Thank loving god a modern FPS has come out where the devs actually payed attention to the SOUND DESIGN, which is at least 50% of how good guns feel to use.
If you didn't know Machine Games are made of former members of Starbreeze, the guys who made the Riddick games and the original The Darkness. They actually give a poo poo about writing and atmosphere alongside the shootin and stabbin.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Magni posted:

Helga actually comes over suprisingly enough as a mostly respectable and well-adjusted person outside of the whole being a nazi thing.

Helga wanted to be the greatest adventurer and historian ever.

She was just a Nazi, which instantly renders any other goals terrible, especially as she was doing them for the benefit of other Nazis.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Is there ever any reason to use the knife besides throwing it?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Stabbing people with it is really satisfying.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I hate killing dogs in video games, even part robot Nazi dogs. So the first half with Rudi kinda sucked with how many dogs I knifed in detailed, gruesome fashion

I snuck around all but two of them I think. I'm in the same boat, I hate killing the dogs and I kinds look away as I mash the stab button

Don't care if that makes me a pussy I just hate it/love dogs :(

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Night10194 posted:

Helga wanted to be the greatest adventurer and historian ever.

She was just a Nazi, which instantly renders any other goals terrible, especially as she was doing them for the benefit of other Nazis.
She also really, really likes wine.

I got a chuckle that in very nearly every diary or memo or whatever that she writes, she mentions wine.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
That chest with the shirt :allears:

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Magni posted:

I know - I kept waiting for her to do something utterly monstrous and she didn't.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Killin dogs is fuckin great and is why Old Blood and GTA V are currently tied for 2015 GOTY

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Dogs aren't real anyway so it's fine

Noirex
May 30, 2006

I actually found Helga....pretty likable? Besides the whole horrible Nazi thing, she comes across as fairly smart, passionate and almost reasonable.

That kind of disturbs me but, but it's a testament to the game that it humanizes the most monstrous adversaries instead of being lazy and making them just one note.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

did all you goons talking about how likable Helga is somehow miss that she keeps an asylum full of abused mental patients solely to probe for information about the treasure she's seeking

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

BBJoey posted:

did all you goons talking about how likable Helga is somehow miss that she keeps an asylum full of abused mental patients solely to probe for information about the treasure she's seeking
To be completely fair, while it's lovely that she turns a blind eye to the crazy poo poo Rudi does with the prisoners, if you find the hidden audio recording in the Library it makes it pretty clear that she treats the asylum inmates pretty well in her personal interactions with them.

She's still a Nazi which means she deserves to die on principle though.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Xenomrph posted:

To be completely fair, while it's lovely that she turns a blind eye to the crazy poo poo Rudi does with the prisoners, if you find the hidden audio recording in the Library it makes it pretty clear that she treats the asylum inmates pretty well.

I thought it made clear the exact opposite because she's pretty clearly just stringing a drugged guy she's interrogating along because he's useful.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Night10194 posted:

I thought it made clear the exact opposite because she's pretty clearly just stringing a drugged guy she's interrogating along because he's useful.
I dunno, she was giving him food and wine and was nothing but polite. Like yeah she had an agenda, but she didn't interrogate him or get violent or physically/verbally abusive at any point.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Xenomrph posted:

To be completely fair, while it's lovely that she turns a blind eye to the crazy poo poo Rudi does with the prisoners, if you find the hidden audio recording in the Library it makes it pretty clear that she treats the asylum inmates pretty well in her personal interactions with them.

She's still a Nazi which means she deserves to die on principle though.

I feel like "to be fair it's bad that she allows prisoners to be tortured and fed to dogs but when she meets them in person she's cordial" is not the best possible argument to make particularly when discussing Nazis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Goddamnit PSN, give me a sale! I really shoulda jumped on the pre-order discount when I had the chance

• Locked thread