Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I remember about ten years ago happening now and then on the BART car with the WE'RE TRYING SOMETHING NEW floor, which was basically just tile. Which sent the unprepared sliding all over the motherfucker when the train took off, or just their bags.

Even though I occasionally sat right down into a cushion, surrounded by the exhaling puff of bum sweat, I don't think I'd really enjoy a hard plastic seat. Buckets and armrests might be a good idea for people who like to seat hog or stretch out for a nap in the middle of rush hour.

Man, I did not enjoy commuting on BART, such a half-solution. I tried it for a month, and it not only took longer (having to transfer to a bus which I'd wait up to half an hour for, and finding parking in the BART station to begin with), but actually cost more than driving, and that's including gas, insurance, and maintenance costs. But commuting is a friggin dog in the Bay Area no matter what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Having move from NYC to the Bay Area the BART is more like the LIRR. Only somehow homeless people are on it. We need to man up and have a proper 24 hour system. One that also helps alleviate the housing situation. And costs $2.50 a ride to any stop!

gonger
Apr 25, 2006

Quiet! You vegetable!

Shbobdb posted:

We need to man up and have a proper 24 hour system.

Here's hoping we get another transbay tube before we've all died of old age.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

BART's system requires people on the tracks doing maintenance daily; also the trains require daily maintenance. Not every segment of track and every car, of course, but enough that it's always been designed into the system that it shuts down for several hours every night.

The only practical way to get a 24-hour system would be to more or less replace the rolling stock, and probably do a complete upgrade of the entire trackway too.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

BART's system requires people on the tracks doing maintenance daily; also the trains require daily maintenance. Not every segment of track and every car, of course, but enough that it's always been designed into the system that it shuts down for several hours every night.

The only practical way to get a 24-hour system would be to more or less replace the rolling stock, and probably do a complete upgrade of the entire trackway too.

It was also never inherently robust as the NYC city system since it lacks redundant tracks and other things which are a must have for 24 hour operation.

gonger
Apr 25, 2006

Quiet! You vegetable!
It's the transbay tube specifically that's the bottleneck. There's only a single tube, and within that tube there's a single pair of tracks - one in each direction. BART isn't unique in the need for daily maintenance, but other systems have two sets of tracks so that the system can still run while one set is brought offline for maintenance.

Elsewhere in the system there's sufficient capacity for them to do that, though.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Shbobdb posted:

We need to man up and have a proper 24 hour system.

You maniacs haven't earned that privilege. My girlfriend and I visited our friends in SF not too long ago on a weekend when the bridge was closed for maintenance, so the BART was running until 2 or 3 AM. We left the bar to go home and it was like the scene in loving Batman Begins where the League of Shadows gassed the Narrows. The subway platform was packed, shoulder to shoulder.

The tile floor was slick and slippery with sweat and urine, which did not stop a half dozen couples from laying down on it to straight up rut like feral cats. A group of six guys relentlessly sexually harassed and rape-threatened our female friend for the whole train ride. We got in a shouting match with them and not a single person acknowledged that this squad of dudes were straight up trying to take her clothes off.

We switched trains, and two guys on the new train immediately got in a fist fight, then proceeded to storm back and forth, screaming, punching and kicking walls, windows, and chairs. When we got off that train, HUNDREDS of people started running every which way. My friend got shoved into a turnstile and knocked over it, with her purse exploding everywhere. She tearfully gathered her belongings from the floor while people kicked them around, finally screamed "gently caress!" and stormed towards the escalator. Of course, some guy started chasing us, yelling at her to smile cause she's beautiful. She tells him to gently caress off, and some total stranger lady screams at her to "Work on your loving attitude! Get the gently caress over here!" We just bolted and hailed a cab. When we got to her house, a drunk driver missed her exiting the cab by two inches.

So basically, the Bay Area is barely a loving civilization and you can't even have two extra hours of public transportation access without going full Lord of the Flies. That's not even touching on the shitheads at the bar and how no bars take cards.

gently caress San Francisco.

SlimGoodbody fucked around with this message at 00:31 on May 9, 2015

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

SlimGoodbody posted:

You maniacs haven't earned that privilege. My girlfriend and I visited our friends in SF not too long ago on a weekend when the bridge was closed for maintenance, so the BART was running until 2 or 3 AM. We left the bar to go home and it was like the scene in loving Batman Begins where the League of Shadows gassed the Narrows. The subway platform was packed, shoulder to shoulder.

The tile floor was slick and slippery with sweat and urine, which did not stop a half dozen couples from laying down on it to straight up rut like feral cats. A group of six guys relentlessly sexually harassed and rape-threatened our female friend for the whole train ride. We got in a shouting match with them and not a single person acknowledged that this squad of dudes were straight up trying to take her clothes off.

We switched trains, and two guys on the new train immediately got in a fist fight, then proceeded to storm back and forth, screaming, punching and kicking walls, windows, and chairs. When we got off that train, HUNDREDS of people started running every which way. My friend got shoved into a turnstile and knocked over it, with her purse exploding everywhere. She tearfully gathered her belongings from the floor while people kicked them around, finally screamed "gently caress!" and stormed towards the escalator. Of course, some guy started chasing us, yelling at her to smile cause she's beautiful. She tells him to gently caress off, and some total stranger lady screams at her to "Work on your loving attitude! Get the gently caress over here!" We just bolted and hailed a cab. When we got to her house, a drunk driver missed her exiting the cab by two inches.

So basically, the Bay Area is barely a loving civilization and you can't even have two extra hours of public transportable access without going full Lord of the Flies. That's not even touching on the shitheads at the bar and how no bars take cards.

That's normal BART nub

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Bip Roberts posted:

That's normal BART nub

I have ridden the BART many times before, but that was the first time I've seen a man get his butthole fingered while gyrating in a puddle of pissmud.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

SlimGoodbody posted:

Welcome!

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

SlimGoodbody posted:

that was the first time I've seen a man get his butthole fingered while gyrating in a puddle of pissmud.
Sounds like you need to get out of the house more.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

SlimGoodbody posted:

I have ridden the BART many times before, but that was the first time I've seen a man get his butthole fingered while gyrating in a puddle of pissmud.

That's just a typical morning commute. :shrug:

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

SlimGoodbody posted:

So basically, the Bay Area is barely a loving civilization and you can't even have two extra hours of public transportation access without going full Lord of the Flies. That's not even touching on the shitheads at the bar and how no bars take cards.

I am glad you enjoyed your time in SF, good sir :tipshat:

It appears you observed the honorable local pastime of making GBS threads/pissing/loving/fighting/being crazy on public transportation. Perhaps next time you'll be lucky enough to have someone steal your teeth!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

SlimGoodbody posted:

I am happy to entertain suggestions about what else one might do for entertainment while gyrating in a puddle of pissmud.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Well...SF is the home of such classy behavior as:

So really, what did you expect?

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

That girl has some skill.

But don't forget classy behavior like this:

http://www.sfexaminer.com/sanfrancisco/shooting-on-muni-train-in-bayview-injures-one/Content?oid=2928078

And this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTeaEL5xSII

Also, I wasn't joking when I mentioned getting your teeth stolen:

http://www.sfgate.com/athletics/article/Muni-rider-Tooth-bandit-followed-her-off-bus-3208454.php

:catdrugs:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

This was more of a mental illness thing.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

The police response is classic:

quote:

"She thinks this is what happened to her, but we can't really go to court based on what she thinks happened," he said.
And even if the cops found a Muni video showing someone following her off the bus, it wouldn't prove that a crime had happened.

Sure, someone followed off a bus then she was assaulted and her teeth stolen, but you know, that doesn't prove she didn't ask him to take her teeth.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

quote:

The man, who lives in The City,

wtf, is that actually in the style guide?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

In the Bay Area, "The City" is San Francisco. If you wrote "the city" you're not using a proper noun, and it could be whatever city the article happens to be about.

So yes, it almost certainly is in the style guide, likely for every major and minor publication in the Bay Area.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Capitalizing the "The" makes you look like a twit though.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

that dude can do sick acrobatics

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Kenning posted:

Capitalizing the "The" makes you look like a twit though.

Only if you never read SF-area newspapers and aren't used to it. It's been done that way for... oh, probably a hundred years or something.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I like to say "San Fran" because I know you guys hate that.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

old dog child posted:

Just about all of Fremont calls it that, I think.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

old dog child posted:

Eh. San Fran sounds OK. It's "Frisco" that makes people sound like retards. This isn't the 1850s.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

Eh. San Fran sounds OK. It's "Frisco" that makes people sound like retards. This isn't the 1850s.

I've heard nobody use this term except for SoCal transplant bros. I'm pretty sure they're the only ones who say "The Mish", too.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

old dog child posted:

Should be renamed to something like Google town or Startup Central.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

The fact that no one seems to be in any way disturbed, or even surprised, by my recollections of Hell Night chills me to the bone. I officially want to know what each of you considers the worst thing you've seen go down in the city.

edit: vvvvv????????!

SlimGoodbody fucked around with this message at 08:23 on May 9, 2015

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

My friend once had a dude on BART tell him he had a "real pretty neck" and that he should "be careful with it."

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Kenning posted:

My friend once had a dude on BART tell him he had a "real pretty neck" and that he should "be careful with it."

was dude a cardassian (http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Cardassian_neck_trick)

Also, I think that would unnerve me if I saw it on BART, but not by much. It's about what I'd expect at 2am, in a full station, with no other way out of the city, which is also a situation that I would avoid at nearly any cost. But if I were there, that pretty much match my expectations and I'd secure my drat purse and keep my eyeballs on any available oxygen pockets. The other thing is to wait for the next train and not take the first crowded-as-gently caress one after a long wait if you can.

I live in the suburbs >25 miles away, so I'm basically fragile whitebread human garbage, though.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

Except it's actually San Fran that's retarded. Plenty of SF natives call it Frisco, but they're mostly working class, hip-hop fans, gangbangers, drug dealers, or Hells Angels. So "Frisco" tends to get hated on by people who aren't those things. There are natives who constantly say San Fran too, and those people are bad.

SlimGoodbody posted:

The fact that no one seems to be in any way disturbed, or even surprised, by my recollections of Hell Night chills me to the bone. I officially want to know what each of you considers the worst thing you've seen go down in the city.

I've seen things mannnnnnnnn. I've lived in SF my whole life, so it's kind of hard to pick one crazy/gross/bad thing. So here's a bunch of stuff, for your reading pleasure:

Bloody fights (half of them on Muni), a car chase, street-making GBS threads, bus stop crack smoking, a gay sidewalk blowjob, non-gay back alley loving...A naked dude with a raging boner and a cockring, who was letting people fondle his balls and take pics. More naked dudes, just chilling on the street (and they're all ugly or old of course). A crazy homeless guy who really needed to show me his gaping neck wound. A spherical fat man on the bus, who was covered in open sores. A guy who looked like he had just been hit in the head with a brick and had a large of chunk of his forehead flesh missing. A drunk homeless dude who fell down some stairs, broke his head open and died. Multiple crazy dudes brandishing large knives at no one in particular. A drunk driver who lost control going down a hill with a 90 degree turn onto a split-level street at the bottom, who bailed out right before his truck rammed through the guard rail and smashed into the lower level. Too many horrific crusty rear end/genital smells as well, and I once saw a lady in her death throes after she got hit by a bus. I've also heard gunfire several times, and knew a few people who were shot and killed, but have never seen it happen, thankfully. Unfortunately, people fighting or a dude getting butt-fingered in pissmud is not very surprising to me.

That doesn't mean your BART hell night doesn't sound hosed up though...especially the rapey dudes. That's a lot of bullshit to endure in a short amount of time.

Rah! fucked around with this message at 09:26 on May 9, 2015

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
My only really bad experience with bart has been some dude throwing up a ton while we were in the tube. I had to switch cars because the stench was so bad. It also just leaked all over the floor of the car :stonk:

That and raiders games making the whole train smell like everyones drunk uncle.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

That explains the (to me) extreme concern about padded seats and bodily fluids, then :psyduck:

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

TACD posted:

That explains the (to me) extreme concern about padded seats and bodily fluids, then :psyduck:

Once, my friend Googled some guy's name before interviewing him, to check out his portfolio, see if he had a website, etc, and ended up finding a public Youtube video the candidate had posted himself, somehow connected to his real name that was just him masturbating while on BART.

(We asked if it was the same guy. After the interview, he confirmed it was.)

Also, I never watched the full naked guy BART video, but notice that until he's actually attacking or approaching people, everyone just walks around him without really being phased or paying much attention. Except for that one jerk with a bike who half-heartedly kicks him. That guy was rude.

Colin Mockery fucked around with this message at 12:43 on May 9, 2015

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I was on a Muni bus once that was empty except for me and a homeless guy. The stench was overpowering, but that's par for the course. I finally had to pull the cord and hail a cab after he locked eyes with me briefly before drifting back into oblivion, dropped has pants, and started mastrubating.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Gee I can't wonder why someone wouldn't want to live in SF it sounds like a delight.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I lived in SF for much of my childhood, and for a straight span from 1993 to 2002.

I saw tranny sex in the Tenderloin once. One time while waiting for a bus late at night at City College a man asked me if I had any crack to sell him. Once a teenage girl spat her gum into my mom's hair on a bus, and when my mom demanded the girl take it out of her hair, the girl slapped her.

I was once about a hundred yards away from an accident in GG park where a bicyclist was hit by a car and I heard screaming but there was already several people helping by the time I was halfway to the accident so I decided not to add to the crowd.

I've seen bus turds and bart piss, but nothing especially gruesome. I've seen a few homeless people that were extra gross, but no public masterbation. Maybe I've just led a lucky, charmed life, but most of the stuff described so far is way worse than anything I've seen.

Mind you. I never really did much of the night life thing while I was living there - I was too busy with school and work. I got around exclusively on MUNI, but that was the 1990s, maybe it was cleaner and better then. When I was working at UPS, I used to bus or bike through the Mission at 3 AM, but I rarely saw anything remarkable and was never in danger. My worst experience in SF was when I was a teenager, and I was attacked. Four men got out of a car, approached me, one of them punched me in the face, and then they left. It was not a happy time but I was not seriously injured, just bruised and very surprised. I think they mistook me for someone else or something.

SF is just a normal city and all of the described poo poo happens in most normal American cities at some point or another. Cram humans together, salt liberally with poverty, stir, and then allow to settle uncovered for ten to twelve hours. This is what you get.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
The Bay Area is a hellhole that needs to be nuked along with LA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

title of this thread should be "I hate california's major population centers"