Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

quaunaut posted:

I think with a controller you can still do drat well, and be really precise, just a bit less than with a wheel. I think wheel just feels more natural to people, so they end up doing better faster with it.

But like any control scheme, once you master it you can do pretty drat well. I used to win a lot of online races back in the day with arrow keys back in the early 2000s.

While I've yet to play Project CARS, I always used a controller in Forza and was generally 2nd to 3rd quickest of the goons who played regularly (and might have been quicker if I didn't spend all of my time intentionally driving the worst cars possible). The only game I've ever played where I could see a legitimate argument that a wheel is a complete necessity to being good is iRacing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?
Finally got FFB feeling good on my G27. Some guy on RaceDepartment posted some suggested values, and they feel alright, I guess. I think there might be a bit of clipping going on on hard turns, but I can't be bothered to look at the horrendous clipping HUD elements stretched over my triple screen. Man, I really hope they do for real triple screen support soon.

http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/why-dont-i-feel-any-ffb-with-g27.105331/#post-1998806

This still doesn't feel nearly as good as Assetto Corsa's FFB on this wheel. Maybe some more guides that pop up will get us there eventually.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Considering I don't have a wheel and I'm planning to buy a G27 based on GutBomb's recommendation, I'm seeing all these different setups and problems and having to set things up for each car and I'm wondering if I should have even bought the game. Is this normal? Was it too much to expect Forza/GT-like "plug in the wheel and it's good"? How much time will I have to invest in this just to have some fun races with you guys? It seems needlessly complicated.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

LiquidRain posted:

Considering I don't have a wheel and I'm planning to buy a G27 based on GutBomb's recommendation, I'm seeing all these different setups and problems and having to set things up for each car and I'm wondering if I should have even bought the game. Is this normal? Was it too much to expect Forza/GT-like "plug in the wheel and it's good"? How much time will I have to invest in this just to have some fun races with you guys? It seems needlessly complicated.

Im using the defaults on my G27 right now. Feels good to me compared to AC and iRacing.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
The lack of actual car feedback vibration on a gamepad makes it very difficult to drive GT3 and above. Road rumble is present, but that's really it. I hope a patch can solve this.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

How come for the 2nd races I'm always in last place to start? I never see an option to qualify.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Comrade Flynn posted:

How come for the 2nd races I'm always in last place to start? I never see an option to qualify.

Check the dicipline rules, not all series' have qualifying sessions. In karting races your sprint start position is random, but your main race position is your sprint race result.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
The g27 is solid wheel for $200. I prefer the Thrustmaster wheels but they are a lot more money. FFB is a son of a bitch to figure out how to set up right though. And I think the same goes for the g27 too, because the FFB in this works so much differently than any other racing sim. It ONLY wants to tell you what the tires are doing as opposed to other games which send feedback for the entire vehicle.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Essobie posted:

Finally got FFB feeling good on my G27. Some guy on RaceDepartment posted some suggested values, and they feel alright, I guess. I think there might be a bit of clipping going on on hard turns, but I can't be bothered to look at the horrendous clipping HUD elements stretched over my triple screen. Man, I really hope they do for real triple screen support soon.

http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/why-dont-i-feel-any-ffb-with-g27.105331/#post-1998806

This still doesn't feel nearly as good as Assetto Corsa's FFB on this wheel. Maybe some more guides that pop up will get us there eventually.

I want to try these out, but i can't for the life of me find the seat of pants settings.

Scratch that found them. Going to try them out here in a min.

Norns fucked around with this message at 06:42 on May 9, 2015

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

Can someone give me some info about how the multiplayer works? Are there official servers or is it peer to peer? Is the netcode solid? Is it fun multiplayer?!

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I've actually had some decent pubby races. get past turn 1 and you're golden...

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

ethanol posted:

get past turn 1 and you're golden...

Congratulations on discovering the secret to pubby races in every racing game ever made

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I found this FFB guide. Someone with more experience setting up wheels should take a look at it.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vchw3vpsdst72id/pCarsFFBGuideTopology3.pdf

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
My god this loving game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFKrZyVGvgU

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Well, after last night I'm very happy with the game for multiplayer. The race where we did Capris and BMW group 5 cars on Snetterton with rain coming in halfway through was loving hilarious. Good racing guys.

dirtyfrog
Apr 15, 2003

The Fantastic Fapping Frog
I'll hazard it's already been mentioned, but my god the "invalid lap time" bollocks when your car so much as glances at a blade of grass is stupidly over the top. I just tapped the grass at Oulton Park, did a 360, came to a complete standstill and then rejoined the track. Invalidated. Why, because I saved *so* much time?

Also getting mighty pissed off that I have to redo the HUD arrangement every session. It's great that there is the option to move stuff around, but it can't be that hard to actually save those preferences?

Lightglobe
Oct 15, 2005
This dumb game is going to make me buy a racing wheel...

Hopefully I can get in a couple of races with a couple of old Forza 4 people I remember racing with. Seeing a couple of your names pop up in this thread. Sadly I have a full time job these days so sadly it will only be weekends.

Any other Ausgoons picked this up?

Kaddion
Jan 12, 2008

My gosh, you're right Sam! THE GORILLA SHOULD BE DRIVING!

We're all so good at cars.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
As someone who drives Karts in real life with buddies (http://www.rs-kartcenter.de/com/kartcenter/das_kartcenter.php Ralf Schumacher KartCenter in Bispingen, Germany) at least once every year, i am really IMPRESSED by the Kart Handling and the way the game simulates the carrying of momentum.

And you guys complaining about spin outs: It is absolutely loving realistic: Be easy on the gas! Full throttling out of curves and a slight wrong angle with the steering means you might lose grip and you make a 90 or 180 degree turn immediately. Even as "experienced casual" Kart Racers in real life, I will lose control once in a while because I push too hard or just failed at timing the braking, steering and trottling.
You have to be smooth with all of the controls (gas, steering, brakes).
This means you have to be smooth with the analogue xbox 360 PC Controller buttons/stick as well.

Performancewise this game has some interesting framedrops. I play at 2560*1440 with Ultra/maxed Settings and 2xMSAA. I usually have 100-120 fps but rainy roads and rain spume will tank the frames down to 60.

After playing racing games for over 30 years now (since Pit Stop, C64, 1983, had to switch tires yourself lol) and playing pCARS for 7 hours in the last 2 days I already think this is the best racing game and racing AI I ever played.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

dirtyfrog posted:

I'll hazard it's already been mentioned, but my god the "invalid lap time" bollocks when your car so much as glances at a blade of grass is stupidly over the top. I just tapped the grass at Oulton Park, did a 360, came to a complete standstill and then rejoined the track. Invalidated. Why, because I saved *so* much time?

Also getting mighty pissed off that I have to redo the HUD arrangement every session. It's great that there is the option to move stuff around, but it can't be that hard to actually save those preferences?

Invalid laps seem rather inconsistent too, like I can run miles off track on Spa and not lose anything, but if I even sneeze off track on some kart circuits I lose the time.

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH

Mr.PayDay posted:

As someone who drives Karts in real life with buddies (http://www.rs-kartcenter.de/com/kartcenter/das_kartcenter.php Ralf Schumacher KartCenter in Bispingen, Germany) at least once every year, i am really IMPRESSED by the Kart Handling and the way the game simulates the carrying of momentum.

And you guys complaining about spin outs: It is absolutely loving realistic: Be easy on the gas! Full throttling out of curves and a slight wrong angle with the steering means you might lose grip and you make a 90 or 180 degree turn immediately. Even as "experienced casual" Kart Racers in real life, I will lose control once in a while because I push too hard or just failed at timing the braking, steering and trottling.
You have to be smooth with all of the controls (gas, steering, brakes).
This means you have to be smooth with the analogue xbox 360 PC Controller buttons/stick as well.

Performancewise this game has some interesting framedrops. I play at 2560*1440 with Ultra/maxed Settings and 2xMSAA. I usually have 100-120 fps but rainy roads and rain spume will tank the frames down to 60.

After playing racing games for over 30 years now (since Pit Stop, C64, 1983, had to switch tires yourself lol) and playing pCARS for 7 hours in the last 2 days I already think this is the best racing game and racing AI I ever played.

That's pretty scary. Do Superkarts hop like that when you switch gears, too? It's practically jumping off the ground, it's so hard to handle. I've learned I absolutely cannot do it at certain times.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Karts are loving insane IRL and the game does a decent job with them.
They have tyres that feel more like hard plastic than rubber and no suspension and everything is clunky, jerky and horrible, yet brilliant fun.
You can and do spin on straights and when you hit your first corner nothing happens, you carry on forward, turning the steering wheel is a mere suggestion rather than a direct command.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Kaddion posted:

We're all so good at cars.

Ahahaha I cause like 3 major accidents in this video alone.
It was some good poo poo.

If anyone has the last race where it was just a bunch of GT40s without any of their body panelling at the finish line, that would be amazing.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?

Norns posted:

Im using the defaults on my G27 right now. Feels good to me compared to AC and iRacing.

Yikes... really? AC feels so much better to me, even after tweaking.

Norns posted:

I want to try these out, but i can't for the life of me find the seat of pants settings.

Scratch that found them. Going to try them out here in a min.

Share with the class. I wasn't able to find them either (I didn't even know until you posted that SoP meant Seat of Pants). I'm curious to how these feel compared to your experiences with AC. If the pCARS defaults were better than AC, are they better or worse with these posted tips?

dirtyfrog posted:

If their first patch doesn't fix the persistence of the HUD, I'm going to shelf this game until it is. I don't even bother moving the things every race, even though poo poo is right in the middle of my bezels because apparently 16:10 monitors in a triple screen layout is UNHEARD OF.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Essobie posted:

Yikes... really? AC feels so much better to me, even after tweaking.

Share with the class. I wasn't able to find them either (I didn't even know until you posted that SoP meant Seat of Pants). I'm curious to how these feel compared to your experiences with AC. If the pCARS defaults were better than AC, are they better or worse with these posted tips?

The arrows in the right of the header in the force feedback settings screen in the car tuning.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

ha ha ha we are professional race car drivers, nothing to see here

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
I think the force feedback is a bit light but on the other hand this is one of few racing games where turning the wheel more than 90o is actually useful so I guess seeing as I'm moving so much I'll leave it

The only controller change I make is setting my pedal dead zones to 1 because I find I rest my feet on them and it stops me constantly breaking

Not really suffering from any bugs (although noticed print screen doesn't work for some reason)

I'm away from home this weekend I will put some time into this next week and try and join in online time zones permitting (I'm UK)

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
So maybe I'm just suddenly poo poo at these sorts of games, but I really, REALLY can not drive without the assists on with a controller. I seemed fine during the karts part of the career, I was pulling fast lap times and on the default difficulty I was ahead by as much as 30 seconds on 10 lap races. But as soon as I finish that and start doing this invitation thing with a mclaren F1 I'm like a loving drooling idiot on this thing. I'll be going down a straight and start veering to one side so I turn slightly to straighten up and I'll oversteer and fly into a wall or do a 180. I'll turn down a high speed corner and oversteer. I'll hit the accelerator too hard and spin out.

The accelerator thing I can compensate for, just gotta be careful there, but I'm oversteering like a motherfucker and I can't figure out what's causing it. I know how not to oversteer, I know how to keep clean lines and find good breaking points. But I just can't control this god drat car.

I've tried a bunch of the controller presets but I can't figure out how to fix it. Is it the steering sensitivity? Is it the deadzone? idgi

I thought about pulling out my old wheel to see if it's the game or the controller loving me up, but my wheel is old and it looks like it's not supported (it's an old logitech driving force EX). Anyone know how I can get it to work?

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

So if anyone else is like me and bought a G27 specifically for this game but is a huge newbie at setting up wheels try out this guide http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?22122-G25-G27-SETUP-GUIDE

I have no idea how everything should feel so I could have it set up perfect and not know it but after doing this guide everything definately feels way more manageable to drive. It used to be "drivable right up until I go over the line and then its a clown car" to "Forza with more realistic physics" for me.

Basticle fucked around with this message at 15:16 on May 9, 2015

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

cat doter posted:

So maybe I'm just suddenly poo poo at these sorts of games, but I really, REALLY can not drive without the assists on with a controller. I seemed fine during the karts part of the career, I was pulling fast lap times and on the default difficulty I was ahead by as much as 30 seconds on 10 lap races. But as soon as I finish that and start doing this invitation thing with a mclaren F1 I'm like a loving drooling idiot on this thing. I'll be going down a straight and start veering to one side so I turn slightly to straighten up and I'll oversteer and fly into a wall or do a 180. I'll turn down a high speed corner and oversteer. I'll hit the accelerator too hard and spin out.

The accelerator thing I can compensate for, just gotta be careful there, but I'm oversteering like a motherfucker and I can't figure out what's causing it. I know how not to oversteer, I know how to keep clean lines and find good breaking points. But I just can't control this god drat car.

I've tried a bunch of the controller presets but I can't figure out how to fix it. Is it the steering sensitivity? Is it the deadzone? idgi

I thought about pulling out my old wheel to see if it's the game or the controller loving me up, but my wheel is old and it looks like it's not supported (it's an old logitech driving force EX). Anyone know how I can get it to work?

I've hit the same problem. I never had this much trouble with a controller in Gran Turismo or Forza, so if you find any good presets then let me know.

Kart racing was great except for that hilly track. I was already thinking of doing it for my birthday this year, but now I can't wait to do it for real.

Going back to DriveClub was amazing. If I want to get better at Project CARS though, I think I'll just stick to time trials and free practice instead of slowly struggling through the career.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

All the settings ive tried that people have posted seem to be an attempt to match ACs heavy FFB that I don't care much for.

I can still feel curbs and grip with the defaults. It's a lighter feel, but I like that.

The guys spinning out carts. Are you playing in third person?

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

That loving Sned posted:

I've hit the same problem. I never had this much trouble with a controller in Gran Turismo or Forza, so if you find any good presets then let me know.

Kart racing was great except for that hilly track. I was already thinking of doing it for my birthday this year, but now I can't wait to do it for real.

Going back to DriveClub was amazing. If I want to get better at Project CARS though, I think I'll just stick to time trials and free practice instead of slowly struggling through the career.

It didn't exactly fix the problem, but try a high steering deadzone and low steering sensitivity, you can't quite dart through corners but with it set up like that I spin out less.

Ok, so I got my logitech driving force EX set up, turns out there was a button assignment menu I didn't see. Problem now is though the force feedback doesn't work. It looks like it's turned on and everything but I'm not getting anything. Anyone know what the deal is?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I suggest a low deadzone and a high steering sensitivity. Removes the twitchiness. For me anyhow.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

holocaust bloopers posted:

I suggest a low deadzone and a high steering sensitivity. Removes the twitchiness. For me anyhow.

Yeah same, I recommend setting your deadzone as low as it can go. One time I had to set it to zero, exit, and then reset it to 10 to get it to change at all. would not reflect my changes in game until I did these things.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Controller mode 2

Deadzone 3
Steering sens 30
Speed steering sens 65—75

Try that gents.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

What kind of control setup are we trying here?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
What do you mean? I'm using a dual shock 4.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

You just answered my question.

I'll give my DS4 a go sometime today.

Did you have to do anything special to get the touchpad to work in the menus?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Use input mapper to set up the touchpad click as right and the ps button as left. I also disabled the light bar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I'm seriously considering buying this game but all the talk of it being a hard racing SIM is kind of scaring me. I've always been pretty good at Forza or GT, how does this game compare to those in terms of difficulty?

• Locked thread