Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
I'm already in love with the game's style, it's like a Nintendo-fied Jet Set Radio. The art design is really charming without being obnoxiously cute.

The stage design seems pretty solid so far-lots of fun opportunities for sneaking around and getting into skermishes, although it seems kind of easy to start running rampant around your opponent's base in the smaller map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Internet
May 27, 2012

This poster just flew all the way from Caketown just to make this post!

Now THAT'S desperate!
Goddamn this game is fun

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

gannyGrabber posted:

Roller can hit vertical on the first swing. Just keep madly tapping away, or throw a bomb.

The Splattershot Junior fires a bit faster, and has a shorter range. The shorter range means that you also end up with less spread on the shot, so it's better for taking people down.

Splat charger is garbage and bad.

Splat charger is good you just gotta snipe all the dudes w/ rollers that can't get to you.

Also for people who don't know you can change the controls to traditional thumbstick controls.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Pre-ordered

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Krysmphoenix posted:

And that's the end.

Still don't know the difference between the Splattershots. Basic but good.

Roller is great but has no vertical game. Someone above you on a crate? Hug the crate close or squid away.

Even when I know I'm getting the hang of the charge rifle, it still sucks. Maybe I just have lovely accuracy, but it's spraying power needs to increase.
Regular splattershot had a tighter pattern and more range, jr is more of your lovely COD spray SMG. I think the jr is objectively worse but it comes with the bubbler and better grenades, so you're making a sacrifice with your primary weapon for a more useful sub and super.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Gumdrop Larry posted:

Everything but the sniper was really fun. Holy gently caress that gun was awful trying to get a handle on for fighting, and it's terrible at painting territory.

Yeah, it really needs at least a semi-decent way of being able to apply paint to territory, maybe it'll be better in the King of the Hill mode or something, but as-is its awful

dorasage
Nov 3, 2008
I kept shooting the splat charger too soon just to try and take out a guy who was right up in my face about to gank me and every time no dice. Splatted. I played with the splattershot just once, but went back to the roller. As has been noted, it's hella fun even though trying to ink walls was pretty hard/impossible. I found most of the times that I died it was to someone with a roller.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Game owns, but it's really apparent to me that I can't play console shooters for poo poo. I'm bad enough at them that the motion controls are honestly a better choice. Or picking roller and holding forward. There's a surprising amount of stuff to wrap your head around while also focusing on not getting shot up. It's easy to forget that you're also supposed to be turning the map into a work of art.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

gannyGrabber posted:

Roller can hit vertical on the first swing. Just keep madly tapping away, or throw a bomb.

Not enough. My roommates and I all struggled to use the roller to climb up crates to get a shortcut on the rig level. You need someone else to do those for you.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I used motion controls the whole time and kicked rear end. Went 10-0 with the stock splattershot one game. :cool:

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
I prefer the roller because then I don't have to aim with the gyroscope!

Also, what's everyone's high score on the loading minigame? Mine's 4000 something.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Well that was fun as hell. NWO Roller 4 l-l-l-life. Roller seems OP but has some definite drawbacks that can be exploited upon. Kinda a shame since I went in wanting to rock the Charger but just couldn't get the hang of it, all the other weapon types seemed way better.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

mabels big day posted:

I used motion controls the whole time and kicked rear end. Went 10-0 with the stock splattershot one game. :cool:
Yeah gyro controls own.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.
Very impressed overall! Had a fun time, consistently came in second on teams using the Splattershot, third using the rifle, and first and second using the roller. Average scores for all players in my games were upper hundreds, 600-900. Last 3 games near the end had all-roller teams, I was on an all-roller team twice and against one once. I never saw an all-roller team lose.

Squid Jump on the Gamepad was a fun diversion as well. Got to the moving platforms.

It seems like Roller is the best new player weapon since you don't need to aim and it teaches you the layout of the levels. Likewise, it's hard to counter a roller at anything resembling close range if you haven't gotten the hang of aiming - particular with the team jump one can literally land on top of you (Splatoon's version of a telefrag?). However, it seems like if players had good aiming and knew all the vantage points in a level rollers would be less effective.

Overall though, this was great. Hope to see you goons tomorrow!

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

For me the splattershot was great when I found a perch where I could get lots of floor coverage on both sides and easily splat people with rollers.

Sir PigglyWiggly
Jan 12, 2013

I got lost in the woods.
Now I'm a tree!
I told my self I wasn't gonna touch the preorder button :(

Game is fun as hell, only issue is that if people disconnect even for a second you could end up in a 4 on 2 game for the rest of the match.

Still had the top score even with the winner teams bullshit 300 bonus :colbert:

The sniper gun is only really good for taking out guys with rollers. Shield is bullshit unless I'm using it.

Little squid can taunt people 11/10 give Nintendo more money

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Silentman0 posted:

Also, what's everyone's high score on the loading minigame? Mine's 4000 something.

Was passing the controller around too much to do much. But some minigame pro-tips I noticed:

You can wrap through the walls!
You can charge your jump while mid-air.
Fully charging only works on the first level to skip a platform.. After that, you should be using jumps just short of a full charge.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
I'm getting a W+M1 Pyro feel off the Roller: it has a pretty low skill floor, but something tells me the ceiling isn't much higher.

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

This game is insanely fun. I was kinda worried about the controls at first but it's really easy to pick up and play and it all felt natural after my first match. Moving as the squid is a neat ability and the weapons so far are fun as well. Definitely got some Nickelodeon vibes whenever there wasn an orange team in play.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

homeless snail posted:

Regular splattershot had a tighter pattern and more range, jr is more of your lovely COD spray SMG. I think the jr is objectively worse but it comes with the bubbler and better grenades, so you're making a sacrifice with your primary weapon for a more useful sub and super.

The Jr. is absolutely better. You actually get less of a spray at the end of it's range than you do on a similar range with the regular. The regular is a bit better if you're playing defensively, due to the increased overall range, but in Turf War there's really no value to being defensive.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Gumdrop Larry posted:

Everything but the sniper was really fun. Holy gently caress that gun was awful trying to get a handle on for fighting, and it's terrible at painting territory.

Its really satisfying to snipe someone when you get it though. Although thats kind of hollow when its ten times more fun to simply walk over them with the roller.
Oh whats that enemy man you - oh wait, nvm you're splatted.

I got an even ratio of wins to loses (roughly) but was consistently in the top 2 of my team. All the weapons seem like fun and have different play styles.

This game seems like it will be good for arcade style pick up and play. I went from looks good to day one, might even get the amiibos if I can find them.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QExo2OwQ3Rk

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Technogeek posted:

I'm getting a W+M1 Pyro feel off the Roller: it has a pretty low skill floor, but something tells me the ceiling isn't much higher.

That's likely the case with basic operation, but that's why the roller is also a great at map coverage and they made the air burst roller. Also its sub and super weapons are great.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

CuddlyZombie posted:

I fought and won against a team with four rollers, I wonder if that was yours.

I was SN64, so if you remember splattering that name, then good game.

Anyway, I tried gyro and non gyro, although I want to try non gyro with the charger again. Not really sure which I liked better at this point.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
The roller might be best at laying down ink/covering ground, but playing with it felt like kind of being a big target. It's awkward to turn around so people can run up behind you, and there's not much in the way of defense against range attacks. Also, running into another roller usually ended in Mutually Assured Splatstruction.

I wound up trying to let the other squids do the fighting and just focus on cleaning up whatever abominable mess the other team was making.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

I really liked the Jr.. Put me at the top of the chart nearly every match.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Nnngh, I need more. :(

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
People hating on the charger amuse me.

I used it for pretty much the whole hour. It's the least good of the three at covering the map, but it's not meant to do that. The charger gets coverage by splatting the other team. Fully charged happens really quick and knocks them out in one shot, and you've got better range than anything. Even better, even if you miss your target you still have an effect, as your ink will slow them down and make them easy pickings for another shot.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Sam Faust posted:

Nnngh, I need more. :(

I know seriously, this kinda sucks. I'm gonna sleep through the second phase so the third is my last chance to play until release.

I really hope after they go "okay here's more time :)" but I'm not counting on it.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Yeah. If you want a good four-goon team, the roller shouldn't be doing a lot of fighting, just going into the messy areas the other team left behind.
Splattershot is kind of second for map coverage just getting the hard to reach areas while trying to hunt down the bad guys.
Splatter Jr. hunting becomes more important, but still pretty versatile.
Charger should be going for the high grounds, or rushing into enemy territory for max PvP. Knowing how to do a good rush start (one splattershot follows behind, roller definitely goes a different direction) is good for an early game boost.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Technogeek posted:

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
So how do you use the shield/special weapon? I got all the basic stuff (Swimming, shooting, jumping and grenades) but the tutorial didn't cover the special (or I missed it).

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Zaphod42 posted:

I know seriously, this kinda sucks. I'm gonna sleep through the second phase so the third is my last chance to play until release.

I really hope after they go "okay here's more time :)" but I'm not counting on it.

Hey, if their servers get so hammered by these three tests that they don't pass whatever their benchmark is for performance, maybe they'll be forced to do a round two.

Thanks Internet
May 27, 2012

This poster just flew all the way from Caketown just to make this post!

Now THAT'S desperate!

MrFlibble posted:

So how do you use the shield/special weapon? I got all the basic stuff (Swimming, shooting, jumping and grenades) but the tutorial didn't cover the special (or I missed it).

Click the right stick

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Thanks Internet posted:

Click the right stick

Thank you, i'll remember that for the night slot.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

The roller and the sniper both are needed on a balanced team, but if you have too much of one then you're open to too many weakness it seems. The matches I won most were made up of more variety than anything else.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

MrFlibble posted:

It's clicking the right stick when you've gotten enough charge for it. You get charge for it by covering ground that hasn't been covered yet or covered by the enemy paint.

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

MrFlibble posted:

When you paint enough and the gauge in the upper right fills up, click the right stick. Your inkling will also sparkle when it's full.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
The charger seemed best on the rig level, on the high sniper points you have to wallclimb to get to.

I was mostly roller, it has the best grenade and coverage but you're boned against anyone outside of your fling range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I just hope we don't get a Titanfall situation where everyone loves the gameplay but gets sick of it because there isn't a whole lot of it.

Otherwise, that was drat good.

• Locked thread