Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Something keeping the Roller from being M1 Pyro (or perhaps limiting other weapons to roughly that level) is that most of the mobility options are available to everyone. A lot of the reason pyro was mediocre in TF2 was because you were just sorta stranded on the ground in a game where the strongest offensive classes could run 25% faster than you, fly through the air like jackasses, or just have 50% more health than you while hoovering up a lot of medic attention. The Roller can move around the level as quickly as any other weapon can barring unpainted vertical surfaces (and those can be scaled with relative ease).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Unlucky7 posted:

I just hope we don't get a Titanfall situation where everyone loves the gameplay but gets sick of it because there isn't a whole lot of it.

Otherwise, that was drat good.

Yeah, but unlike Titanfall there's a singleplayer campaign that isn't bot matches.

BowieFett
Oct 21, 2008

I'm surprised people are saying the roller is op. Everytime I saw someone with a roller I just went for them because they were easy kills. I used the splattershot Jr the whole time though, so the shield did help me out a few times.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
I still want to like the charger, since I love being a sniper. I think having Gyro controls really might help for that, since you can use the joystick for big movements, and gyro for precision. That and I love the infinite grenade super. I got stuck on a crate with a roller under me, and just popped it. Got the squid on the sixth grenade but drat is it fun just flinging things around like you just don't care.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Countblanc posted:

Something keeping the Roller from being M1 Pyro (or perhaps limiting other weapons to roughly that level) is that most of the mobility options are available to everyone. A lot of the reason pyro was mediocre in TF2 was because you were just sorta stranded on the ground in a game where the strongest offensive classes could run 25% faster than you, fly through the air like jackasses, or just have 50% more health than you while hoovering up a lot of medic attention. The Roller can move around the level as quickly as any other weapon can barring unpainted vertical surfaces (and those can be scaled with relative ease).
The most powerful roller tech will be learning when not to roll.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Countblanc posted:

It could just be M1-vision, but I could almost swear the roller is actually faster while you're actually rolling paint on the floor.

Then again, you can pretty reliably beat it by backtracking with the splattershot, so maybe not? What did you guys all think about the roller's speed?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Krysmphoenix posted:

I still want to like the charger, since I love being a sniper. I think having Gyro controls really might help for that, since you can use the joystick for big movements, and gyro for precision. That and I love the infinite grenade super. I got stuck on a crate with a roller under me, and just popped it. Got the squid on the sixth grenade but drat is it fun just flinging things around like you just don't care.

Don't forget the full game has many different types of charger weapons :getin:

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

That ruled and I am excited for the full game.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

homeless snail posted:

It is insanely satisfying to come up to another roller in a hallway, and when they start charging you down, you just shake paint at them.

I imagine once people get good that'll happen less but it's really funny.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
I used the roller the whole time. Really, really fun overall, because you can choose whether to take a break by running down some corridors or to just run into the middle and steamroll as many people as possible before getting knocked out. I couldn't get a hang of the sniper, and I didn't really try the other two. Maybe tomorrow. It was way better than I expected.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I topped the charts in turf war as roller every time but got low kills. they made the time to kill with everyone so low that you basically just have to hope they aren't looking at you, and also stop at some point (because you move at the same speed.

I hope they add spawn protection and at least make it so i can chase down dumb people with the roller. and make the roller beam super smarter so that I'm not pointing it into the ground 2 feet away when im trying to deploy under pressure.

if only there was some way to let the sniper know where i am and if I need to be covered

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 05:30 on May 9, 2015

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

CuddlyZombie posted:

It could just be M1-vision, but I could almost swear the roller is actually faster while you're actually rolling paint on the floor.

Then again, you can pretty reliably beat it by backtracking with the splattershot, so maybe not? What did you guys all think about the roller's speed?
Its definitely slower than walking, and swimming is twice as fast as that. Just rolling up to someone is a great way to get yourself splatted.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Yesss, four rollers, the dream team. We lost but it was funny.

Had 3 rollers and a sniper. I was the ninja roller, one was front line roller, and the other was patrol roller. The Sniper keep saving me when I run out of paint. Sniper who ever you are thanks for splatting those 4 squids.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

A Yolo Wizard posted:

I hope they add spawn protection and at least make it so i can chase down dumb people with the roller. and make the roller beam super smarter so that I'm not pointing it into the ground 2 feet away when im trying to deploy under pressure.
I think there is spawn protection so long as you stand inside the spawn point.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

homeless snail posted:

Roller spreadsheet:

1. Are you on your own ink?

Yes: Dive

No: Roll

2. Is there an enemy in front of you?

Yes: Flick

Yes but they dived: Roll

No: Go to 1.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

homeless snail posted:

I think there is spawn protection so long as you stand inside the spawn point.

unfortunately you cant really do anything if you're a roller at that point and 1 or two of the opposing team have decided to make it up there. The platform is large enough in the warehouse for them to shoot you from anywhere on it the moment you leave, and the roller nades are way too slow to catch them.

maybe they should implement a full featured team communication system through the dpad exclusively (or just let us loving talk to each other)

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 05:34 on May 9, 2015

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

There's definitely spawn protection, I tried spawn camping the enemy base but an invisible barrier blocks all your shots.

homeless snail posted:

Its definitely slower than walking, and swimming is twice as fast as that. Just rolling up to someone is a great way to get yourself splatted.

It must just have been the pyro effect where you think you're faster than you really are, then.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Also I like how when 2 roller go head to head, it ends in a draw.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
Roller is going to be a lot less effective at getting kills once people learn the maps and become better at reading ink trails to locate opponents, but it's just so much better at coverage than anything else I think it'll be important to have one. Maybe paired with a gunner who can provide cover and help them get up walls. I noticed that some floors also have grates strategically placed to force players out of squid form at certain choke points, that might help to slow rollers down.

Charger will be fine once people get accustomed to the controls, I think it makes a pretty fair trade for the extra range and prevents people from noscoping from nowhere.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Technogeek posted:

I'm getting a W+M1 Pyro feel off the Roller: it has a pretty low skill floor, but something tells me the ceiling isn't much higher.

I think high-level roller skills are going to revolve around using Squid form to rush and ambush enemies. If you can get in close you'll get them before they get you.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Ya it's kind of early to be talking about what's OP or not when we've only had an hour with it.

It's OP at covering ground. No debate about that

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Did everyone's connection go well? I had a little trouble connecting to matches but other than that I was okay. I'd love to know the server results performance.

I need to figure out how to turn off gyro controls. I hated them in Captain Toad and I hate them here.

Roller OP Weapon Of The Year 2015.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Rocketlex posted:

I think high-level roller skills are going to revolve around using Squid form to rush and ambush enemies. If you can get in close you'll get them before they get you.

That's high level every skill

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
If this was truly a server stress test I would consider it a ridiculous success by the standards online multiplayer shooter launches in the year 2015. I had connection hiccups a few times in the last 15 minutes or so and one game that dropped mid-match, but it was pretty smooth sailing for most of that hour.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

Rocketlex posted:

If this was truly a server stress test I would consider it a ridiculous success by the standards online multiplayer shooter launches in the year 2015. I had connection hiccups a few times in the last 15 minutes or so and one game that dropped mid-match, but it was pretty smooth sailing for most of that hour.

yeah remember diablo 3s stress test, perfect until day 1 when no one could play

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

The splattershot jr's ink spreading abilities are being severely underrated imo, it's nearly as good as the roller at inking plus lets you kill at a longer range

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Yeah the Roller is not so op when people see you coming.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Ometeotl posted:

I really liked the Jr.. Put me at the top of the chart nearly every match.

Same, I was leading the team with it every match once I got the hang of it. It's worth remembering we'll be able to customise loadouts in the full game though.

God help us when facing rollers with the bubble shield.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
That was so much fun! Played the roller the whole time and had a blast, though at one point at the Splatsray Rig i was trying to deal with a guy on top of a ton of crates and yeah, soon as things get vertical you're doomed (ended up throwing a grenade thingy at him, which got him off to the floor but he still inked me as i tried to get up close)

Best bits were winning by .3% one time and having a sitcom chase at the south rectangle of Splatsray Rig where I was using my roller to cover up enemy ink while the enemy was there and once we realized this we ran around in circles around a crate there a few times before an ally with a roller of his own joined this scooby doo run in circles so two laps later i turn so he'll chase me while my buddy easily catches up and inks him. God I wish I could show that moment!

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

Bean posted:

Did everyone's connection go well? I had a little trouble connecting to matches but other than that I was okay. I'd love to know the server results performance.

I need to figure out how to turn off gyro controls. I hated them in Captain Toad and I hate them here.

Other than initially getting the "server has too many connections" error I did not have a single connection issue (granted I was too focused on Squid Jump to pay attention to match connections).

You can turn off gyro controls in the Controls menu, right? Press + at the weapon select screen.

Also as a side note, someone mentioned even missed shots have value both for the paint and for screwing with your opponents movements. I can vouch for that - when I wasn't using a roller I think the majority of the times I died were when running into the ink an enemy was shooting got me or running out of ink myself.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
The charger is good, and you can also spam it in quick bursts as a panic button you don't have to charge every shot.

My favorite thing about the roller is you can activate it while in the air, there is something satisfying about landing on the ground rolling.

I like people slowly learning to use the super jump as the games went on.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Best way to win in the last 10 sec is to follow a Roller with a Roller. They are to busy to notice that your behind them and when the run out of ink or turn than splat them.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I hope they have some night stages planned, because the place being lit up by bioluminescent squids and fluorescent paint would look so good. Why is Nintendo the only company that seems to remember what both color and art direction are at the same time?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Bean posted:

In the weapon select, press the + button to go to controller options.

I really don't understand how the roller is OP. Just squid away and flank. If you are not in your ink, then you hosed up somewhere else. Or if you were flanked, you were hosed regardless.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Kind of sucks this game won't have voice chat, if only to help coordinate your team.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
The real "op" item is the bubbler. I was repeatedly screw over by baddies activating it right when my mines went off :smith:

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
A big part of succeeding with the roller for me was figuring out when to just go "NOPE" and sneak off to find other poo poo to paint. I started cracking 1000 pretty consistently once started switching between hunting opponents and getting turf depending on whatever was most opportune.

Like, duels are fun and all but they're pretty much a terrible use of resources in this game.

Thanks Internet
May 27, 2012

This poster just flew all the way from Caketown just to make this post!

Now THAT'S desperate!

CatsPajamas posted:

You can turn off gyro controls in the Controls menu, right? Press + at the weapon select screen.

Yeah, you can.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

A big part of succeeding with the roller for me was figuring out when to just go "NOPE" and sneak off to find other poo poo to paint. I started cracking 1000 pretty consistently once started switching between hunting opponents and getting turf depending on whatever was most opportune.

Like, duels are fun and all but they're pretty much a terrible use of resources in this game.

Yeah. None of my best moments with Roller involved me killing or even seeing other players. They involved me charging into enemy territory when no one was around and painting over everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

I think I will try the charger weapon tomorrow morning, any hot tips?

• Locked thread