Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Electric Charity
Mar 22, 2009

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Put a dry aged ribeye, that I'd aged myself in-house, in the fryer, because this really, REALLY old guy, said it wasn't done enough. He loved it. Right through his stupid cataract covered eyes, while he complained we didn't have A1 steak sauce, and I hated him every second for it.

wait so did he ask for a fried egg on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Rajjoble posted:

wait so did he ask for a fried egg on it

Kill that man.

Also my worst steak was microwaving it for 7 minutes until it was a hockey puck and the woman who sent it back twice (she originally ordered it medium rare and kept saying it wasn't done enough) loved it.

It was loving disgusting.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
How do these kind of people plan on eating their well done steak? Do they bring a mini guillotine to slice it on the table?

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Kill that man.

Also my worst steak was microwaving it for 7 minutes until it was a hockey puck and the woman who sent it back twice (she originally ordered it medium rare and kept saying it wasn't done enough) loved it.

It was loving disgusting.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Sawzall.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I like a little side of A1 with my steak.

Kill me now.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

A Man and his dog posted:

I like a little side of A1 with my steak.

Kill me now.

It depends on the steak for me. If it's a supermarket low grade steak I'm just chucking on the grill with no thought beyond meat sure pass the A-1 (or better yet Fearrings D-1 sauce) but on a dry aged perfectly cooked piece of art at a high end steak house... Please no A-1.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Best answer.... Cause that's pretty much what I do. If it's a house steak I'll use A1.

If I'm out at fine dining I never ask for it.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Watching people throw 90$ at a steak and then asking for a1 and or getting it well done or whatever doesn't phase me anymore. I have no opinion on it and whatever makes you happy go nuts. Just tip your waiter and don't give them task lists that are unnecessary and make the chefs and line staffs job poo poo.

Am I broken yet?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Why can't people just eat food the way chefs cook them?

barring allergy/health issues if you wanna be picky you should just stay home

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

bowmore posted:

meh some stuff isn't so bad. I mean I work in fine dining so my "bad" guests are not that bad. I mean, you want that with the sauce on the side sure whatever who gives a gently caress. But the people that come and ask for weird as poo poo substitutions and then balk at me when I say we don't have that.

A list of weird poo poo people have asked for the past week in a restaurant where usual ppa is about 110$ sans alcohol:

A bowl of applesauce for a grown rear end man.

Watermelon instead of Julianne pears on a peppery field green salad with a home made Italian vinaigrette.

Sea bass Nigiri.

butterflied 12oz. rib eye.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
I just wish that when I gave a table a polite "I'm sorry, we don't do that and here's the easiest reason I can give you for why" they didn't argue with me.

Reasons I am not going to go and get yelled at by the cooks for asking for a thing I know goddamn well we don't do unless you're the owner's mother:
I'm from out of town
I get it at this other restaurant that serves a completely different kind of cuisine/does this with one of their other dishes already
I'm sure the chefs can just throw a whatever together
We want to share so can you just split four different entrees on four plates for us
I just want to try as many things as possible all at once
But you have this ingredient somewhere else on the menu so why can't you just cook it in a completely different way
Just this once.

The last one is the worst because if you do it once you have to do it every time. I can't count how many times some new server has done a thing for a guest that the kitchen let slide because they didn't know better once, and every time for the next 2 years that customer will say "well you've done it before, I don't see why I can't always have it".

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Secret Spoon posted:

A bowl of applesauce for a grown rear end man.

I'd gently caress up a bowl of applesauce right now.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

My only request pretty much ever is to just leave raw tomatoes off because I will puke violently. Cooked is fine, but raw tomatoes wreck me. I try to order around it even to make it a non-issue, but that's not always possible.

Am I a horrible person, GWS?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I just want my food gluten free isn't that ok?

oh and vegan, nut free, low sodium, not too hot or too cold, dairy free, sulphate free, organic and halal

that should be fine right?

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

bowmore posted:

I just want my food gluten free isn't that ok?

oh and vegan, nut free, low sodium, not too hot or too cold, dairy free, sulphate free, organic and halal

that should be fine right?

You forgot that you wanted it Kosher too.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Senior Scarybagels posted:

You forgot that you wanted it Kosher too.
halal is arab kosher

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

bowmore posted:

halal is arab kosher

Listen, if I remember right you need a rabbi there to confirm it's kosher.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Shooting Blanks posted:

My only request pretty much ever is to just leave raw tomatoes off because I will puke violently. Cooked is fine, but raw tomatoes wreck me. I try to order around it even to make it a non-issue, but that's not always possible.

Am I a horrible person, GWS?

No worries bro. When you want pomodoro with no tomatoes I reserve the right to kill you with my brain.

Now that I think about this this a good thread to comfortably drunk post in.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

No worries bro. When you want pomodoro with no tomatoes I reserve the right to kill you with my brain.

Now that I think about this this a good thread to comfortably drunk post in.

Considering the majority of posts are after midnight I think we are all drunk posting in this thread.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

It is the industry thread, I assume no sobriety

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
What's sober?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Kosher is halal but halal is not necessarily kosher. The only difference is the meat inspector.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
My work is getting new Ham!

Thank god because the poo poo we were using before was just......yeah I don't even want to tell you how bad it was....

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
Pro posting combo.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have a new job after the grocery store one fired me for eating a piece of bacon in the kitchen. Back in a real restaurant for now, fun times I suppose :v:.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Manuel Calavera posted:

I have a new job after the grocery store one fired me for eating a piece of bacon in the kitchen. Back in a real restaurant for now, fun times I suppose :v:.

lol you're lucky they didn't cut off your hand

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
inorite? A good sign at least, the Exec and GM at the new place both had the same amused reaction to my story. "They let you go after nearly five years for that?"

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Senior Scarybagels posted:

Listen, if I remember right you need a rabbi there to confirm it's kosher.

You need a rabbi once to officially kosher-ify the kitchen but after that I think you're all set?

Whenever I get to the point I can make my BBQ joint I'm just going to set aside a fryer and flattop as halal and hope whatever Jews come in aren't too...what's the word for adherent to scripture? Orthodox?

Although, a retired restauranteur friend of mine I think I recall saying he could certify kosher. As many years away as it'd be though I don't think it's worth worrying about too much. I'm pretty sure you need a Judaic OK the one time regardless though, assuming you're using ingredients that were kosher to begin with.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Trebuchet King posted:

You need a rabbi once to officially kosher-ify the kitchen but after that I think you're all set?

Whenever I get to the point I can make my BBQ joint I'm just going to set aside a fryer and flattop as halal and hope whatever Jews come in aren't too...what's the word for adherent to scripture? Orthodox?

Although, a retired restauranteur friend of mine I think I recall saying he could certify kosher. As many years away as it'd be though I don't think it's worth worrying about too much. I'm pretty sure you need a Judaic OK the one time regardless though, assuming you're using ingredients that were kosher to begin with.

The Kosher Subway restaurants get inspected all the time randomly by Rabbi. They also close for Shabbat and have a Jew turn the ovens on and off as well as having a Jewish manager certified in kosher constantly overseeing things. You also can't have dairy touch the same dishes, ovens, pots pans etc as meat and a plethora of other things.

Kosher is a big deal and a pretty big investment unless you remove a bunch of poo poo like all dairy from a place so you don't have to worry about it.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Hrm, alright. Guess I need to increase how many grains of salt I take with stuff this guy says, then. My b!

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

bowmore posted:

Why can't chefs just cook food the way paying customers ask?

barring allergy/health issues if you wanna be picky you should just cook for your friends

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Turkeybone posted:

Why can't chefs just cook food the way paying customers ask?

Because it's my menu/restaurant, not yours. No I will not serve you the scallops with hollandaise because gently caress you that's why. You eat the thai curry, or you don't get the scallops.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Grind my Gears HC post:

We get orders for Wings a bunch. Sometimes people just want drumsticks or the flat wings.

Ok, sure shouldn't be a problem.

Nope HC throws a god drat fit and refuses to do it saying they can gently caress off.

Ok then!

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Well yeah, you're loving up food cost. Drumettes are more expensive. And if you keep them separate you start loving up prep counts, or wasting cook time fishing out drumettes. gently caress that, if you don't like what's on the menu, don't order.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Me and you have clashed before HC.

I'm just going to stand down. Because you are correct.

It's just when someone is spending $60 on pizzas and wings, I feel we should accommodate them.

Two way street. I get your point.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Double post

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
This is why I only serve whole wings.

"Can I just get drumettes?"

"No bitch it's a whole wing, go gently caress yourself."

Although that gives rise to an entire other problem. Explaining how many wings.

"How many wings in an order?"

"There are 6 whole wings."

"Only 6 wings that sucks."

"No 6 whole wings, so 12 traditional pieces of wing you are used to."

"So is it 6 or 12 what the gently caress?"

"Just order the hamburger dick bag."

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

A Man and his dog posted:

Me and you have clashed before HC.

I'm just going to stand down. Because you are correct.

It's just when someone is spending $60 on pizzas and wings, I feel we should accommodate them.

Two way street. I get your point.

No, I get it, its just restaurants need to stop bending over backwards for guests. Profit margins are so low that I absolutely will not do your special thing unless you have an allergy or its reasonable because it just isn't cost effective.
If someone comes in and is allergic to dairy and wants non-dairy mash, I just say no.

I want the mousse without the liqueur. Absolutely not, it's in the mousse, I'm not going to make a small batch of mousse just for you.

I see your burger has smoked mozz, poblanos, and onions. I want a mushroom, swiss, and bacon burger. Nope, gently caress you. You don't like the burger, don't order the burger. Get something else. I didn't write this menu so you can come in and order like it's fast food.

I get requests for our salmon dish without skin, and the answer is always no. We put it on the menu because we liked it, if you don't, order something else.

Just loving trust the chef to serve you something good because thats what I loving do; I make good food. Unless you have an allergy, gently caress right off, there's a Chili's down the road that will gladly cater to your poo poo rear end taste in food.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

I see your burger has smoked mozz, poblanos, and onions. I want a mushroom, swiss, and bacon burger. Nope, gently caress you. You don't like the burger, don't order the burger. Get something else. I didn't write this menu so you can come in and order like it's fast food.

I get where you're coming from, and a lot of this stuff is reasonable, but refusing to do a mushroom bacon swiss burger seems a bit petulant unless you just don't have the ingredients.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

No, I get it, its just restaurants need to stop bending over backwards for guests. Profit margins are so low that I absolutely will not do your special thing unless you have an allergy or its reasonable because it just isn't cost effective.
If someone comes in and is allergic to dairy and wants non-dairy mash, I just say no.

I want the mousse without the liqueur. Absolutely not, it's in the mousse, I'm not going to make a small batch of mousse just for you.

I get requests for our salmon dish without skin, and the answer is always no. We put it on the menu because we liked it, if you don't, order something else.

Just loving trust the chef to serve you something good because thats what I loving do; I make good food. Unless you have an allergy, gently caress right off, there's a Chili's down the road that will gladly cater to your poo poo rear end taste in food.

You are the chef we all deserve. Stay strong

• Locked thread