Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I like that you can be successful by looking at the map and going places where other players aren't. It's a really unique dynamic that is the complete opposite of 1st person shooters.

As that guy who would always get hit with a head shot out of nowhere in 1st person shooters, I appreciate the change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Lemming posted:

It's super important. You figure out where you need to shore up and where enemies are. If you're screwing around near their spawn while they snuck out you could lose easily or get snuck up on

This was relevant in an early game I played, both teams ended up sticking together and completely going round each other to take territory opposite their own spawn and because I wasn't looking at the map I had no idea what they were doing.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

Can you spaawn on teammates? I swear I saw some icon on my hud from another player and then they would show up out of nowhere

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

pissdude posted:

Can you spaawn on teammates? I swear I saw some icon on my hud from another player and then they would show up out of nowhere

Tap a teammates icon and you fly to them.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

pissdude posted:

Super jump to them when you spawn by pressing their icon or name on the game pad.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

pissdude posted:

Press a teammate or the spawn on the gamepad to super jump to them. You can do it at any time.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Astro7x posted:

I like that you can be successful by looking at the map and going places where other players aren't. It's a really unique dynamic that is the complete opposite of 1st person shooters.

As that guy who would always get hit with a head shot out of nowhere in 1st person shooters, I appreciate the change.

One of the first few matches we won because I saw that a huge corridor was covered in enemy ink so i spent the last twenty seconds covering it with mine and tipped the percentage way up in our favor. :D

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It's a combination of "Americans love shooters" and "PAL-land's online infrastructure is worse than everywhere else and this is a MP-centric game", I guess.

That's funny. I heard the same thing about online infrastructure in america.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Looks like a good time was had by all. When is the next window?

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Fix posted:

Looks like a good time was had by all. When is the next window?

In five hours time.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

One of the first few matches we won because I saw that a huge corridor was covered in enemy ink so i spent the last twenty seconds covering it with mine and tipped the percentage way up in our favor. :D

That last-second mop-up is always a good time to be a roller.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Rexroom posted:

That's funny. I heard the same thing about online infrastructure in america.

Well, every time Nintendo talks about online anything they make a point of mentioning how Europe/Australia lags behind in digital purchases, online traffic etc so I'm just speculating based on that. I'm in Australia, I'm not gonna talk poo poo about anyone else's online capabilities considering how much of our country is still shackled to decades-old copper.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...
I'm going to be in the minority here, but I didn't really enjoy it. I was already a little iffy about it going in and ended up feeling kind of bleh about it overall.

Likes: The style, the music, the colors, and the little Nintendo touches. I adore the Inkling design and the "90s Nickelodeon" feel that someone earlier in the thread mentioned.

I enjoyed the pace and speed of the matches as well. They were fun little chunks and felt very satisfying without being overlong slogs or so short that I felt cheated on time.

The sounds were great and paint had a very satisfying "splat" noise. I really liked that there's a death metal type song (at least that's what it sounded like) with the Inkling vocals.

The little squid jumping game you play while waiting on a match is great, adorable, and addictive. I really wanted to keep jumping that squid!

Dislikes: The feel of controlling the game. I don't mean the controls themselves, at least not entirely. I used both types of control and didn't feel great about either of them. I was generally in the top score on the winning team most of the time, so it's obviously not detrimental to the game or anything, but something just felt off about the gyro (that's what I stuck with after trying both) to me. I felt like I constantly needed to press Y to recenter it, but maybe I fidget too much during play or something.

I also had the impression going into the game that there was much more verticality than there actually was, at least from what I was able to find. I kept looking for places to spray and swim up, but there just weren't that many in either map. When I did find one, it wasn't anything I couldn't get to by jumping from a path. The things I could get on also weren't that high but offered decent advantage.

The sniper gun is ok, but not great. I feel like everyone else has already covered that one in depth though, so that's all I'll say about that.

Playing with real people didn't feel special. What I mean is that if I didn't know I was playing with real people then I could have sworn I was playing with a bunch of bots. There wasn't anything I experienced that screamed "this could only happen online with other people." I mean, nobody can talk (though they can spam the vocals jumping to you, I guess), and the Turf War mode doesn't really allow any of those human-to-human moments to shine. For comparison, there were plenty of those moments back when I played TF2 (running around with a fish > another Scout seeing you > fishduel ensues) (and yes, I'm completely aware this is a totally different game and the comparison isn't really fair, but it's the only example I can think of right now)

I also didn't like the two maps we were shown. There wasn't anything memorable or special about them and they weren't even laid out very well in my opinion. I feel like they probably didn't pick very good maps to show off, because in the Direct it looked like they had some better ones.

All-in-all, I want to like the game but when I closed it I didn't feel like I ever needed to play it again. I truly hope that it does well so Nintendo will take more risks in the future with original IPs. I may give it a shot later down the line after a year of updates and patches to try again, but right now I can't justify getting it because it feels overly expensive and underwhelming.

Keep in mind this is, like, my opinion man, and I'm completely biased because I pretty much only play PC shoot man games. Just wanted to share my experience.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Overemotional Robot posted:

Keep in mind this is, like, my opinion man, and I'm completely biased because I pretty much only play PC shoot man games. Just wanted to share my experience.

Your opinion sucks. :colbert:

I'll probably make my mind up what I think about Splatoon after the second test session. It certainly has potential for something big, if they get that clan thing up in August and don't make it too obtuse.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
They should add Mario Sunshine DLC

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Rexroom posted:

In five hours time.

Ah, dammit.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

I also didn't like the two maps we were shown. There wasn't anything memorable or special about them and they weren't even laid out very well in my opinion. I feel like they probably didn't pick very good maps to show off, because in the Direct it looked like they had some better ones.
I enjoyed Saltspray Rig somewhat, but I felt that the other map (can't even remember the name) was severely lacking in much of anything. It had one really good choke point and a sort of interesting donut-shaped spot, but the central area for fighting isn't particularly great. Really easy to sit next to people's spawn, though, which I thought was fun.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Playing with real people didn't feel special. What I mean is that if I didn't know I was playing with real people then I could have sworn I was playing with a bunch of bots. There wasn't anything I experienced that screamed "this could only happen online with other people."

With my one hour with the game I had more of those moments than I do with most multiplayer games.

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
I wasn't expecting to like this game since I generally don't like console shooters. I was only able to play for the last 20 minutes, but I hit the pre order button when it was done.

I'm not even sure why. It was just...fun.

I think the game would probably sell better if they'd gone with the Mario IP, but I'm glad they didn't because it's refreshing to see something new from Nintendo. Plus to me, Mario means hanging out with my friends, laughing and having a good time, while this game is all about playing with strangers with whom you can't even talk.

At least until they get the friend stuff working.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

oh well I missed the stress test but I am not sad or angry for there are other opportunities coming up, and even if those planes fall through the game will be out soon enough. Haha, from what I hear the Roller is pretty OP.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I was owning some seriously face today, I was almost always at the top of my team (even if we didn't win). Apparently my hours spent getting 200% in the Metroid game in NintendoLand payed off as after a few moments I didn't even have to think about the controls anymore, I was just in the zone and spraying paint all over.

I really enjoyed punking the hell out of some roller suckers by seeing them coming and hiding in the ink until they were in range and then BAM SURPRISE MOTHER FUCKERS :black101:.

Like many have said this is the first time I've been having plain fun in a FPS type game in ages. After Q3A & CS:whatever just it was all so the same poo poo over and over again but this, this I can get into

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Anime Curator posted:

Haha, from what I hear the Roller is pretty OP.

That'll probably change when people learn to aim and move. They're pretty easy to take out.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

LethalGeek posted:

I was owning some seriously face today, I was almost always at the top of my team (even if we didn't win). Apparently my hours spent getting 200% in the Metroid game in NintendoLand payed off as after a few moments I didn't even have to think about the controls anymore, I was just in the zone and spraying paint all over.

I really enjoyed punking the hell out of some roller suckers by seeing them coming and hiding in the ink until they were in range and then BAM SURPRISE MOTHER FUCKERS :black101:.

Like many have said this is the first time I've been having plain fun in a FPS type game in ages. After Q3A & CS:whatever just it was all so the same poo poo over and over again but this, this I can get into

I loved that some of them thought hiding in corners was a good idea. Yep, I saw you go in there and you magically disappeared. Oh gee, I wonder what happens if I paintbomb that section of your ink on the floor...

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I loved that some of them thought hiding in corners was a good idea. Yep, I saw you go in there and you magically disappeared. Oh gee, I wonder what happens if I paintbomb that section of your ink on the floor...

My favourite is when they drop down into a bit of ink that's surrounded by our ink, then realise they have nowhere to go and accept their fate.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Time for Round Two, guys :toughguy:.

Ashtarath
Oct 11, 2012

This game owns :allears:

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
Wonderful game.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Whoever suggested the paint roller is the best weapon does not understand the game (it's Splattershot Jr. because of the shield, hth)

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
drat that hour went by quickly. Loving this game.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Just came up against a team of three people holding Charge Rifles. All three were convinced standing still on head-height boxes would keep them safe. It did not.

Ashtarath
Oct 11, 2012

Katana Gomai posted:

Whoever suggested the paint roller is the best weapon does not understand the game (it's Splattershot Jr. because of the shield, hth)

Actually so true, thing is broken as fuuck

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
I'm not especially good at video games, and definitely not shooters, but I was the top player on my team probably 70% of the time. We won most games. I think I was on the losing team only two or three times the whole hour. I used the Jr. exclusively, and yeah the shield owns.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
Splatoon Is Good

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

absolutely anything posted:

Splatoon Is Good
Hmm...

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Splattoon is the best game.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Katana Gomai posted:

Whoever suggested the paint roller is the best weapon does not understand the game

This is literally true because it was being said by people after the first minutes of playing the game ever.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Even the Splatoon Reddit has come to the conclusion that the roller is not actually OP

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
I tried using the charger a bit more, and I'm starting to see the potential. You can easily ink large areas if you line your shots enough. Too bad I'm not good at sniping. Maybe when I get the zoom scope in the actual game...

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

skeletronics posted:

I'm not especially good at video games, and definitely not shooters, but I was the top player on my team probably 70% of the time. We won most games. I think I was on the losing team only two or three times the whole hour. I used the Jr. exclusively, and yeah the shield owns.

I did the same, but wasn't using the shield more than once a match. I did notice people have gathered the charger is for backing your team up from a distance though, and rollers really weren't as common this time round. I also noticed rollers were rarely going around alone, they usually had a charger or gunner alongside to protect them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
UK dudes, base.com has Mario Party for £20.99
http://www.base.com/buy/product/mario-party-10-wii-u/dgc-marioparty10wiiu.htm

• Locked thread