Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i feel as though my choice selection of youtube videos for factions captures the spirit of the end times events fairly well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Korgan posted:

Speaking of not-Italians, I hope they represent Tilea and the Border Princes in the game for mercenary units. Hell, bring back the old Dogs of War unique mercenaries, those guys were great. If your generals and special characters are meant to be more powerful, being able to hire a group of Orcs in heavy armour and stolen Dwarf crossbows, or a group called the Birdmen of Catrazza due to their flying machines, or Hobgoblin wolf riders with a heavy Mongolian horde theme with their own special character leader would be great.

Bring back the Grudgebringers from Shadow of the Horned Rat and Dark Omen.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Telsa Cola posted:

My favorite thing about the end times is all the people who moaned and bitched about GW never moving any of their stories forwards because they were greedy fucks who didn't want to harm their cash cow and it was super dumb of them to keep it in stasis suddenly moaning and bitching that GW moved the story forwards in one of the many obvious directions it could have gone and how dare they mess up the people who bought their little plastic men with plot changes. Like sure it could have been written way better but they literally did one of the things people have been begging them to do for ages and people seem to be bitching more about the fact that they did plot stuff rather then they did it poorly.
There's a big difference between "everything is stagnated for decades, how about some developments?" and "The moon blew up, the earth blew up, the end".

Tiler Kiwi posted:

i feel as though my choice selection of youtube videos for factions captures the spirit of the end times events fairly well
That post should be in the OP

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
As someone who had some warhammer armies a decade or more ago, and still plays table top games in that setting, and who has absolutely zero faith or interest in whatever games workshop does these days (and therefore don't want to know even one thing about the end times because I don't want the ideas even introduced into my head-cannon) are the end times basically like how white wolf finally ended the world of darkness? Is warhammer fantasy ending? Or are they just "shaking up" the setting to the point that minature lines are going to become partially invalidated and now you have to buy more plastic men because there are no more Von Cartsteins or whatever.

If you can't tell I suspect it's the latter, I'd almost admire them if it was the former, but I don't actually want to learn about any of the new fluff they're writing about their Warhammer: Cataclysm.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Jack B Nimble posted:

As someone who had some warhammer armies a decade or more ago, and still plays table top games in that setting, and who has absolutely zero faith or interest in whatever games workshop does these days (and therefore don't want to know even one thing about the end times because I don't want the ideas even introduced into my head-cannon) are the end times basically like how white wolf finally ended the world of darkness? Is warhammer fantasy ending? Or are they just "shaking up" the setting to the point that minature lines are going to become partially invalidated and now you have to buy more plastic men because there are no more Von Cartsteins or whatever.

If you can't tell I suspect it's the latter, I'd almost admire them if it was the former, but I don't actually want to learn about any of the new fluff they're writing about their Warhammer: Cataclysm.

It is almost literally "rocks fall, everyone dies," except the rock is the moon, also most of the planet. The only miniature lines left that makes sense in the new setting is Chaos and bits of everyone else pushed through a wood chipper, literally.

I don't think GW has actually announced what they're planning yet, so there's a lot of wild speculation, but some kind of reboot seems likely since apparently part of the End Times fluff included a "there is a multiverse, and there are always Chaos Gods and there is always Sigmar in every one of them" aspect at some point. If they wanted to completely redo everything from the ground up you can hardly get much better justification than that, but again GW hasn't actually said anything.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Tiler Kiwi posted:

I finally got to look at the videos on that post and they're pro picks. Well done.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Didn't someone mention Malekith uniting the Dark & High Elves? That at least is a pretty cool idea and "High Dark Elves" is an interesting faction concept of an evil empire that just dominates the seas and gets up to all that imperialist elven bullshit.

Great Axes and repeater crossbows, two flavours that go great together.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Pimpmust posted:

Didn't someone mention Malekith uniting the Dark & High Elves? That at least is a pretty cool idea and "High Dark Elves" is an interesting faction concept of an evil empire that just dominates the seas and gets up to all that imperialist elven bullshit.

I have bad news for you. Malekith turns out to have been the good guy all along and he's actually really nice (never mind the thousands of years of slaving and slaughter) and a super awesome hero.

The writer for his book really loving liked Malekith.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Figures they'd cock up such a cool idea.

As far as bringing down the total number of supported armies goes (perhaps to make space for more new armies / mix up the old stuff = dosh), combining:
High and Dark Elves for said Imperial Elven faction
Bretonnia and Wood Elves: Best Buds Forever! (and it would be really nasty combining that shooting and skirmishing+big guys with those knights).
Chaos and Beastmen (although Beastmen + Wood Elves would be an interesting "what if", but not exactly lore friendly :v: Chaos Wood Elves?)
Chaos Dwarves and... Dwarves? (a little superflous) Ogres? Chaos Dwarves + Ogres + Dogs of War could be a drat cool army useful for all the left overs.
Lizardmen combined with.... Dwarves. Stegadon mounting cannons, self-propelled gun battery: what we've all been waiting for.

Wouldn't necessarily be such a bad idea. Could even keep old units useable within the new combined armies (and the older army divisions could have "infighting" semi-supported).

Too bad GW is going all Japanese business practices of 'Otaku farming' on everyones rear end (When was the last time GW was "good"? The mid 90ies? Earlier? ...Heroquest...).

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 15:56 on May 9, 2015

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Bretonnia and Wood Elves would be the most incredibly Arthurian thing.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Huh, the Warhammer mod for Medieval 2 doesn't work for me. It crashes on start-up, and the only people reporting the same thing have not received a fix yet. Why is everything Warhammer Fantasy broken?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Night10194 posted:

I have bad news for you. Malekith turns out to have been the good guy all along and he's actually really nice (never mind the thousands of years of slaving and slaughter) and a super awesome hero.

You mean the guy who waged a bloody civil war for his own personal aggrandizement, had his flesh melted off by the fires of Asuryan when he tried to step into the holy fire that recognizes the proper Phoenix King, and has been head of a slaving murdering torture carnival empire for thousands of years? The guy who's repeatedly worked with Chaos? That guy? Jesus christ.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Captain Oblivious posted:

You mean the guy who waged a bloody civil war for his own personal aggrandizement, had his flesh melted off by the fires of Asuryan when he tried to step into the holy fire that recognizes the proper Phoenix King, and has been head of a slaving murdering torture carnival empire for thousands of years? The guy who's repeatedly worked with Chaos? That guy? Jesus christ.

Have we mentioned that The End Times is poorly written?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Captain Oblivious posted:

It turned out the burning was a sign he was the true King and if he'd stayed in a few more seconds the God would've healed him and made him Superking.

Like, I get Malekith's initial complaint turning out to be just. It's just the whole thing with him is no matter if he was the rightful king or not, everything he's done since has revealed he is a massive rear end in a top hat who does not deserve poo poo. That's why he's an interesting villain: He's sure he's fighting for his rightful place, and he's actually just a jackass.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Night10194 posted:

It turned out the burning was a sign he was the true King and if he'd stayed in a few more seconds the God would've healed him and made him Superking.

:suicide:

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Night10194 posted:

One more asspull for the pile that is End Times, I guess.

I suppose End Times was rushed so as to ensure they actually had a company left over when the event was done with. And I've read some really bad Warhams fiction before, but that takes the cake.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Well it's not like every elf immediately bent the knee to him. It started a bloody civil war that lasted like two years. What got a good chunk of the elve courts on his side was Tyrion falling to the curse of Khaine and using tgat power to control an army of elven dead slain in war at the same time that Teclis was using illusions to make Malekith seem more regal. Malekith didnt really change, he just tempered his homicidal rage a bit to avoid pissing off any nobles that sided with him. The whole thing played up the elven god myth cycle and how most of the special characters for the three elf armies were doomed to make the same mistakes and choices their predecessors made. And even then he was never forgiven by the Shadow King who stuck an arrow in Malekith that threatened to kill him if Malekith ever did anything to endanger the elven race.

Kial
Jul 23, 2006

Mans posted:

You want to remove kill animations for a warhammer game? :staredog:

Purely on a gameplay basis. Remember the grand scrums of Rome 2?

If CA can make it work, awesome! I'm going to wait for the reviews though =)

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Got the M2 mod to work, but had to create a copy of the Medieval exe and rename it Kingdoms ('cause steam).

Cn't download the quickfix-installer from mediafire for the life of me (anyone got an alternative link?), so the game crashes when my Screaming Skull catapults do their thing :(

Fun start as the vampires, you got like a grand total of 3 ranged units starting out in your four castles (basic skeletons and zombies are bloody useless in general, only good thing about them is that they are cheap and fight to the death) and on the first few turns you'll be visited by like 4 full armies from Stirland to your west, Wissenland on their side of the drat map and the loving dwarves from the south.

Rocking some Castlevania(?) battle music though :drac:

And mages are bloody terrifying. Too bad the Vampire lords don't seem to have any spells besides Dance Macabre.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Pimpmust posted:

Got the M2 mod to work

Huh, I don't have the quickfix installer and my version doesn't work. Perhaps there is an issue with them that causes a crash.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Just downloaded Kingdoms (steam) and the mod+pathces/fixes through the links posted before by a goon (thanks mate!) and works like a charm, started a Reikland campaign and had some fun battles against beastmen, holy crap Minotaurs are crazy :stare:

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Klaus88 posted:

It's all rather grimdark in the proper warhammer :black101: sense of injecting something with so much metal and gothic poo poo it becomes awesome rather then the grimdrark :tvtropes: sense of needless injecting a bunch of rape and angst into something you enjoyed as a child.

I disagree with that statement. If there's one thing that's a constant in Zelda, there's hope despite lunatic evil and dark situations. The author's removed that outright, and calls his 'better'.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Bloodly posted:

I disagree with that statement. If there's one thing that's a constant in Zelda, there's hope despite lunatic evil and dark situations. The author's removed that outright, and calls his 'better'.

No, there still is plenty of hope. Your faction are the ones who are clearly in the right, and all who oppose them are the lunatic evil!

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Pimpmust posted:

Fun start as the vampires, you got like a grand total of 3 ranged units starting out in your four castles (basic skeletons and zombies are bloody useless in general, only good thing about them is that they are cheap and fight to the death) and on the first few turns you'll be visited by like 4 full armies from Stirland to your west, Wissenland on their side of the drat map and the loving dwarves from the south.

Vampires is probably the hardest faction to start with. If I recall correctly, one of the best moves you can make is to wait until (Nuln? big city by Blood Keep) is about empty of units and take it with the Blood Keep garrison, then sell everything in it for cash. Also, capturing Mordhiem almost right away with next to no losses is important for splitting up the enemy.

Keep at it!

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Bring back the Grudgebringers from Shadow of the Horned Rat and Dark Omen.

This would own. Also those dudes who loved killing skaven. They kinda sucked, but there were just so goddamn many of them. Fluffy as hell too.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think Sylvana survives due to massive stacks if they get invaded but since the player doesn't get them you're screwed.

Bogarts
Mar 1, 2009
The empire also calls a crusade on you almost immediately usually so yeah vampires in the mod are goofy hard. Unless you get lucky and get Necarchs(they have a 1% chance of spawning for you per turn) on the first or second turn then you can just have them solo armies.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Mans posted:

It's great and you can run some pretty fun custom battles but the campaign is still unifinished (they've entered beta stage for their big 1.6 patch which will had tons of new stuff including Brettonia). I'm installing it atm :supah:

It's the most boring thing to instal though so follow this guide.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?525138-RodG-1-5-Easy-and-painfree-Installation

:ssh:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/95sgfislboia7e7/Rage+of+dark+Gods.torrent

Thanks for this. But I'm having a similar prob to that other dude with the slow file hosting site for the 1.5.1 patch with 18 hour download times for each part. I got the main file from that torrent you linked, is there something similar for the patches? I tried googling but I keep getting linked back to the same host.

e: Also I'm confused as to why the "adapted" 1.5.1 patch is under 1.1.00 and what adapted means. Do I actually need it or is it the same as the link underneath (which I can download fine)?

e2: okay I installed the other file and apparently it is also 1.5.1 and I'm up to date, so never mind!

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 05:47 on May 10, 2015

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Huh, I don't have the quickfix installer and my version doesn't work. Perhaps there is an issue with them that causes a crash.

Installation way that worked for me with steam copy:
Download 1.5.1, the 005 patch (+the 001 quickfix installer, got the downloader to work finally)

1. Reinstall. Start up the game to complete DX setup etc
2. I got the steam version, so you need to make sure that the installation path is to the *main* med2 installation folder (it defaults to My Path or something on 64 bit/steam systems)
3. Use *all three* installers that come with 1.5.1, one after the other. The second and third "hung up" for quite awhile during installation but completed eventually.
4. Apply the 005 patch. Make sure the installation path is correctly set to the main Medieval2 folder.
5. Apply the 001 fixpatch
6. Create a copy of the medieval2.exe and rename it kingdoms.exe
7. Go into the mod folder and find the Rage_of_dark_Gods folder
8. There's a "Executable" file right there, may not have it's own icon set up yet.
9. Click that and the game should launch and work just fine. (If you get some error about "kingdoms" missing you haven't created a copy of the medieval2.exe and renamed it kingdoms)

Newly discovered greatest thing about the mod:
The Orc faction gets the first Conan movie soundtrack as their battle music.

And I also discovered that Chaos Trolls are loving bastards that refuse to loving die, took out 25% of my 800 Orc army before I killed like 5 of them.

e: 1.6 beta patch notes I found on that forum of theirs (dated december 2014):

quote:

List of changes to patch 1.6 (from what is done).
1.New fractions: Tomb Kings, Skavens, Norsca(still under construction).
2.New scripts:
- Storm of Chaos. Now Archaon with his horde moving from chaos wastes, across the entire Kislev (by the way attacking all major Kislev cities), through Ostland and Hohland, to the Middenheim;
- Grimgor's WAAAAGH!!!. Now, if you playing for other fractions and let him capture Middenheim, a huge amount of orc stacks will be spawned and they will tear you apart for sure(game over of some sort, but if you Alexander the Macedonian you can try to deal with them);
- Unification of Chaos when you playing chaos. Now if player cant manage to unite chaos to a certain turn, or after unification aint capture targeted settlements, Chaos Gods abandon him and will choose anothr champion( not player) United chaos will became your enemy after thet;
- Northen Hordes invasion led by Suort Lenk and Elfric Cinwolf;
- New garrison script. Now it would be harder to cheat it. This script also works when AI vs AI;
- Rewards after battles when you play as evil fractions;
- If bright alliance lost battle after battle they will start to loose money as penalty;
- Now if you repatriate settlements back to allies, you will recieve a reward. At the same time if you keep this settlements to yourself you will recieve penalties, riots will enlarged, benefits will be cut, and you will loose ability to hire troops there;
- Scaven lairs will be difficult to hold because of tunnel network from wich scavens will attack randomly and without warning.;
- Hystorical popup events about all major landsights in the Old World.
3.New Units:
Mercenaries - Vespero's Vendetta Duelants, Ramon's Black Avengers, Kislev Rangers;
Empire - Sigmar's Hunters;
Dwarfes - Troll Killers;
Chaos Dwarfs - Infernal Guard and Infernal Guard with fire glefs, Burners, Mage-Priests;
Kislev - Vagons;
Dark Elves - Cauldron of Blood;
Border Princes - Carlson's Cavalery, Carlson's Guard.
Units based on elefants are BACK!!(crashes no more) (Great Deamons, Deamon-Lord, Giants, Dire Wolfs, Chaos Hounds).
4. New concept of hire captains. Now mercenaries will come without any cost(except Ricco), but containment will be expensive. Number of squads is increased all with maximum exp. You cannot hire new sqads but you can retrain them each turn.
5.New portraits for dwarfes and Kislev.
6.Population growth is removed. Now big cities and capitals became much more valuable..
7.. For most of bright allianse fractions removed ability to build their buildings in most of native evil settlements(example: scaven lairs, orc camps, chaos citadels etc.)
8. Night Goblins are playable now. Trolls, Ogres and all "green" mercenaries are added to them.
[cut out a bunch of smaller fixes and additions]

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 09:37 on May 10, 2015

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Is the Empire the only Human culture that has cannons in the lore/fluff?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Riso posted:

Is the Empire the only Human culture that has cannons in the lore/fluff?

The Not-Italian city states of Tilea have access to gunpowder stuff and are on roughly the same tech level as the Empire in general minus the crazy experimental things like steam tanks and helblasters and whatnot.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Pimpmust posted:

And I also discovered that Chaos Trolls are loving bastards that refuse to loving die, took out 25% of my 800 Orc army before I killed like 5 of them.

Yeah I started playing tonight and met them too. Turns out they can climb ladders. They killed about 3/4 of my army on that wall before I took the 26 of them down.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Pimpmust posted:

1. Reinstall. Start up the game to complete DX setup etc
2. I got the steam version, so you need to make sure that the installation path is to the *main* med2 installation folder (it defaults to My Path or something on 64 bit/steam systems)
3. Use *all three* installers that come with 1.5.1, one after the other. The second and third "hung up" for quite awhile during installation but completed eventually.
4. Apply the 005 patch. Make sure the installation path is correctly set to the main Medieval2 folder.
5. Apply the 001 fixpatch
6. Create a copy of the medieval2.exe and rename it kingdoms.exe
7. Go into the mod folder and find the Rage_of_dark_Gods folder
8. There's a "Executable" file right there, may not have it's own icon set up yet.
9. Click that and the game should launch and work just fine. (If you get some error about "kingdoms" missing you haven't created a copy of the medieval2.exe and renamed it kingdoms)

Thanks, but mine is exactly like that and still doesn't work except for the last part. My executable looks for medieval2.exe, not kingdoms. The quickfix patch fixes it so you don't have to make a kingdoms.exe according to the TWC forums.

Wafflecopper posted:

Thanks for this. But I'm having a similar prob to that other dude with the slow file hosting site for the 1.5.1 patch with 18 hour download times for each part. I got the main file from that torrent you linked, is there something similar for the patches? I tried googling but I keep getting linked back to the same host.

e: Also I'm confused as to why the "adapted" 1.5.1 patch is under 1.1.00 and what adapted means. Do I actually need it or is it the same as the link underneath (which I can download fine)?

e2: okay I installed the other file and apparently it is also 1.5.1 and I'm up to date, so never mind!

The patches can all be found on the forum link posted by Mans. Just click for the patches there under step 6 and you'll be fine.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I didn't quite follow that order, as I didn't get the 001 fixes down until after so yeah you can skip that step.

Do you have a full error message or something?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Pimpmust posted:

I didn't quite follow that order, as I didn't get the 001 fixes down until after so yeah you can skip that step.

Do you have a full error message or something?

It loads up to the splash screen and then says "Sigma preserve us, Chaos has taken over! Closing the gates to save our souls." I'll try reinstalling it piece by piece and trying it at each stage. It seems like a really good mod.

E: Without any patches, it just says "Unspecified error, the game will now close." With the 005 patch, it says "Sigma preserve us, Chaos has taken over! Closing the gates to save our souls." Same with the quickfix.

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 14:54 on May 10, 2015

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Telsa Cola posted:

My favorite thing about the end times is all the people who moaned and bitched about GW never moving any of their stories forwards because they were greedy fucks who didn't want to harm their cash cow and it was super dumb of them to keep it in stasis suddenly moaning and bitching that GW moved the story forwards in one of the many obvious directions it could have gone and how dare they mess up the people who bought their little plastic men with plot changes. Like sure it could have been written way better but they literally did one of the things people have been begging them to do for ages and people seem to be bitching more about the fact that they did plot stuff rather then they did it poorly.

Personally I like that the plot started moving forward. It was cool to see some major characters and factions finally do stuff. The problem is that it culminates in the world ending and everyone dying without GW saying anything at all about what's going to happen next. They didn't just "move the plot forward" they straight up ended the setting

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

E: Without any patches, it just says "Unspecified error, the game will now close." With the 005 patch, it says "Sigma preserve us, Chaos has taken over! Closing the gates to save our souls." Same with the quickfix.

I can't help you, but it is pretty impressive that they went so far as to throw in a Warhammer-themed error message.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Is it true they're adding swole, good-aligned human warriors in big armor to WHFB as a Space Marine analog?

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

fadam posted:

Is it true they're adding swole, good-aligned human warriors in big armor to WHFB as a Space Marine analog?

Just put it to the GW test.

Ask: Is this a lovely idea? If the answer is yes, it's gonna happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

fadam posted:

They were originally the Marines on board the Empire's ships, then when they realized they were primarily a landlocked nation, they had to come ashore and fight regular monsters. They are... LAND MARINES.

• Locked thread