Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Mr. Apollo posted:

quadcopters seem like the perfect tool for drug deliveries. give your money to person A, walk around the corner and a copter flys down and drops off the drugs and flies away. or even just give the money to copter A and copter B gives you the drugs.

i mean gently caress i'm thinking of killing politicians and this guy totally changes the drug game.

these things change *everything* maaaaaan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Mr. Apollo posted:

quadcopters seem like the perfect tool for drug deliveries. give your money to person A, walk around the corner and a copter flys down and drops off the drugs and flies away. or even just give the money to copter A and copter B gives you the drugs.

this basically already happens

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Necc0 posted:

i mean gently caress i'm thinking of killing politicians and this guy totally changes the drug game.

plz don't have the secret service subpoena yospos

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

a quad copter landed on the white ouse lawn once somewhat recently

they analyzed the gently caress out of it and determined the owner lost contact/control with it so they didn't charge him with anything

but it made it

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Nintendo Kid posted:

the answer to all of the questions is: you gonna get wacoed

but what if we have an app, lots of venture capital, and the gun babies are all independent contractors

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

theflyingexecutive posted:

this basically already happens
i need to pay more attention to drug dealing disruptor space

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
I wear workout pants, funny t-shirts, and sneakers every day. If it's cold I'll throw on a hoodie.

At home I'll occasionally wear a bath robe.

~~ TECH LIFE ~~

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

mishaq posted:

a quad copter landed on the white ouse lawn once somewhat recently

they analyzed the gently caress out of it and determined the owner lost contact/control with it so they didn't charge him with anything

but it made it

this was literally a drunk guy who said ooops and went to bed

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

kwinkles posted:

this was literally a drunk guy who said ooops and went to bed

he worked for the national geospatial intelligence agency too so that was probably really awkward at work

UPDATE: NGA statement on White House drone incident
March 18, 2015

SPRINGFIELD, Virginia — Shawn Usman remains an employee of the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency as a research scientist with an active security clearance. No adverse action has been taken by the agency. Usman was off duty at the time of the incident and is not involved in work related to drones or unmanned aerial vehicles in any capacity at the agency.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
tv's hitting close to the mark these days https://recode.net/2015/04/30/inside-founder-field-day-like-a-scene-lifted-from-hbos-silicon-valley/

quote:

Upstairs, the group of companies in Rothenberg’s River Virtual Reality accelerator demoed their products. One station recreated the night of Trayvon Martin’s death in CGI, using the recordings of 911 calls made by neighbors. I watched a virtual George Zimmerman chase down Martin even as the 911 operator says, “We don’t need you to do that.”

For the after-party Taboo from the Black Eyed Peas showed up around 10 pm. He did it in return for an undisclosed favor.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

FrozenVent posted:

unless you're working out or a literal child you should not be wearing sneakers.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

lol if you follow some 50s “establishment” dress code

the "establishment" is defined as the people with the money.
i want them to give me their money and i make clothing choices accordingly

eschaton posted:

SJ wore jeans and sneakers and it pissed off those types to no end, it was glorious

steve jobs was an lsd-addled burnout who died of a treatable cancer because he drank special teas instead of actually treating the cancer

you're free to drop acid and live in a house with no furniture but don't expect business success like stebe

(you might still die of a treatable cancer, though, that's a much more predictable outcome)

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
brutal

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I want to get a drone and mount a laser on it and use it to terrorize geese up and down my river

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Shaggar posted:

I want to get a drone and mount a laser on it and use it to terrorize geese up and down my river

i want you to get a drone and mount a laser on it and use it to terrorize geese up and down your river and film it

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lmao https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ae-bGyo_m8Q

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

magnetrons need a lot of babysittin' but yeah you can goof around with em. if you want to die

poo poo

now i want to see what a magnetron at the focus of a tvro dish will do to a 2.4 receiver it's pointed at 1/4 mile away

jonny, please immediately launch a sick-rear end series of youtube vids where you just do poo poo like this

you would make bank

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

do a crossover with that iranian guy in canada

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Necc0 posted:

most of those little quadcopters can't even lift a loving firecracker

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
*angry nerd attaches pipe bomb to his drone and walks away*
*gets wrecked when the drone only lifts 3 feet off the ground before it blows*

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

most of those little quadcopters can't even lift a loving firecracker

dozens of quadcopters attached with fishing line

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

duTrieux. posted:

dozens of quadcopters attached with fishing line

need some kind of frame too

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
I can't wait for small scale turbines to fall in price, then we'll see some real drones

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

quote:

When I asked Evan Macmillan, the CEO of enterprise company Gridspace and former head of product at Groupon, what he thought of “Silicon Valley’s” parody, he laughed. “It hits too close to home,” he said. “This isn’t my fantasy, this is my sad reality.”

lol

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

steve jobs was an lsd-addled burnout who died of a treatable cancer

"treatable" cancer

the treatments that would result in a drastic decline in quality of life for a statistically insignificant chance at remission for a few months before returning more aggressively

it's obvious that steve sought "alternatives" because he had no intention of wrecking his health out of fear but had to pursue something to allay investor fears

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Stymie posted:

"treatable" cancer

the treatments that would result in a drastic decline in quality of life for a statistically insignificant chance at remission for a few months before returning more aggressively

it's obvious that steve sought "alternatives" because he had no intention of wrecking his health out of fear but had to pursue something to allay investor fears

nah it was quite easily treatable with surgery at the stage it was diagnosed with minimal health impact other than becoming like diabetic iirc

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Nintendo Kid posted:

nah it was quite easily treatable with surgery at the stage it was diagnosed with minimal health impact other than becoming like diabetic iirc

you do not rc

even if you did, developing diabetes is a pretty big loving deal and an enormous reduction in quality of life

there are extraordinarily few cancers that are "easily treatable", and if a doctor tries to convince you as much they're likely lying to you

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Stymie posted:

you do not rc

even if you did, developing diabetes is a pretty big loving deal and an enormous reduction in quality of life

there are extraordinarily few cancers that are "easily treatable", and if a doctor tries to convince you as much they're likely lying to you

neocon m.d.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
fishmech is right and stymie is wrong

pancreatic cancer grows very slowly, they caught it really early when it was isolated to a small part of his pancreas, his wife and friends *begged* him to get surgery, but his response was "I didn’t want my body to be opened…I didn’t want to be violated in that way."

later when he opted for surgery it had already spread and was too late

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

sounds like someone's been stymied by the medical establishment

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Luigi Thirty posted:

sounds like someone's been stymied by the medical establishment

lol

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Cold on a Cob posted:

fishmech is right and stymie is wrong

pancreatic cancer grows very slowly, they caught it really early when it was isolated to a small part of his pancreas, his wife and friends *begged* him to get surgery, but his response was "I didn’t want my body to be opened…I didn’t want to be violated in that way."

later when he opted for surgery it had already spread and was too late

heavens, someone didn't want to go under the knife (which is always extremely risky under the best circumstances) for a nominally extended lifetime filled with pain and suffering?

what a loon

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Stymie posted:

heavens, someone didn't want to go under the knife (which is always extremely risky under the best circumstances) for a nominally extended lifetime filled with pain and suffering?

what a loon

jobs died of neuroendocrine pancreatic cancer

quote:

They are uncommon cancers with about 1,000 new cases per year in the United States.[1] They account for 3% to 5% of pancreatic malignancies and overall have a better prognosis than the more common pancreatic exocrine tumors.[1,2] Five-year survival is about 55% when the tumors are localized and resected but only about 15% when the tumors are not resectable.[2] Overall 5-year survival rate is about 42%.[1]

55% five year survival rate on cases amenable to surgery, similarly high 10-year rates. yeah, surgery sucks, but that doesn't sound like a "nominal" extension to me

he was just a total jackass.

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
his cancer treatment was to continue eating fruit only which is what gave him cancer in the first place.

stebe was a lot of things, someone who cared about his health was not one of them.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

jobs died of neuroendocrine pancreatic cancer

55% five year survival rate on cases amenable to surgery, similarly high 10-year rates. yeah, surgery sucks, but that doesn't sound like a "nominal" extension to me

he was just a total jackass.

hahaha "let us carve out your pancreas, give you diabetes (a lifelong disease that carries its own boatload of problems), all for a coin flip's chance at dying of the disease anyway"

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

remember the 1970s microcomputer bubble? lol

quote:

A BASIC language compiler for the 2600?!?! Due to the limits of the 2600 you can only input 9 lines of code (11 if you use a trick)

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
gently caress quoting stymie but

a coin flip vs loading up every chamber of a revolver but one and shooting it at yourself

I know which one I'd pick, diabetes or not

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Stymie posted:

hahaha "let us carve out your pancreas, give you diabetes (a lifelong disease that carries its own boatload of problems), all for a coin flip's chance at dying of the disease anyway"

55% chance of having five to ten more years with my family, pfff who wants that

knives are scary i'd rather be cold in the ground and leave my wife a widow while she's still hot

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ruby idiot railed posted:

gently caress quoting stymie but

a coin flip vs loading up every chamber of a revolver but one and shooting it at yourself

I know which one I'd pick, diabetes or not

it seems that surgery for pancreatic cancer often treats diabetes, because the cancer is likely to cause diabetes, and removal of the tumors reduces the fuckery in your pancreas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
stymie sounds like the kind of guy who when his sink is totally full of dishes just moves out and gets a new apartment

• Locked thread