Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Fees are like the primary income for banks now.

On top of that, they run (or used to, I think it's illegal now) them in order of amount and not chronologically. So you could buy coffee, then lunch, and then later overdraw the account, but get hit with three $35 fees. Or they just let you keep buying poo poo when you're below 0 and tack on a fee each time.

I've had both happen. Seemed reasonable to buy food and worry about the fee later.

jamal fucked around with this message at 07:13 on May 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

That's the norm for US banks, unless you have some form of overdraft protection (and even then it's still a decent fee). I actually have my debit card setup to prevent transactions from going through if it would cause my account go to negative, but apparently the charge for the shirt hit within a couple of minutes of a transfer to my other bank account, so I got hosed. I believe I still get hammered with a $35 NSF fee with my credit union even if the money is in my savings account and they transfer money for it, not 100% on that though.

A lot of banks used to rearrange charges from highest to lowest in a single business day in order to maximize NSF fees, to kick you even harder (e: what jamal said) - the feds stepped in and screamed about it and threw out a bunch of fines, but it still happens pretty often. My main bank is actually a credit union, i.e. I actually own a small share of the place, so I have a tiny amount of say in what happens. I have two checking accounts - one with USAA (primarily military and their families), one with a local credit union. I generally use the CU account to move money into USAA (since the CU has ATMs that accept cash deposits and give instant credit up to $200 per business day), both with debit cards. Both debit cards happen to be the same shade of blue. :doh:

I've been whacked with over $400 in fees in a sing;e day before, all because I had a tolltag that forced a charge through (even though I had specifically told the bank "don't approve anything that would overdraft the account" - apparently a recurring charge like Netflix or a toll account overrides that poo poo with some banks). They rearranged the charges from largest to smallest, so that they could hit me with an NSF for every charge once the balance was below 1c. I'm kinda happy that bank doesn't exist anymore, and I spent hours on the phone with them over it. It takes a lot to make me lose my temper, but that definitely had me shouting.

edit: what jamal said.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:14 on May 9, 2015

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
STR, have you tried using You Need A Budget? 60 day trial. Free online classes. I couldn't keep a budget before but YNAB vibed with me and turned my financial life around. The mobile integration is awesome as well. Using YNAB helped me avoid overdrafts and overspending enormously, as well as helping me establish savings goals.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

jamal posted:

On top of that, they run (or used to, I think it's illegal now) them in order of amount and not chronologically. So you could buy coffee, then lunch, and then later overdraw the account, but get hit with three $35 fees. Or they just let you keep buying poo poo when you're below 0 and tack on a fee each time.

This is called transaction stacking, basically they weigh all of your transactions for the day by value so you get hit by the maximum number of overdraft fees. It's especially egregious when you OD your account with one large transaction at the very end of the day after making several smaller purchases that you had enough to cover - say you have $100 at the start of the day, make 10-12 transactions between $5-8 and then make one final transaction for $105 just before midnight. If your transactions stacked chronologically you'd get hit with one OD fee, but with value stacking you get hit with 11-13.

It's technically illegal but banks make too much money and do it anyways - like most regulations in the US it's cheaper to pay the fine than to stop breaking the regulation. You can also opt out of overdraft coverage entirely and the bank will just turn off your account once you hit zero. Theoretically, anyways - I've known people who opted out and either had the bank turn it back on without their consent or else disregard the opt out entirely.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 07:38 on May 9, 2015

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Hey Cat Terrist, whatcha doing in Radelaide and how long ya here for?

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Incase there is anybody who hasn't noticed - to keep you going until the next episodes of Roadkill and Project Binky come out Colin Furze currently has a cool build going on with weekly episodes.

Jet Powered Go Cart - Part 1, Part 2

fingerling
Mar 7, 2010

Ferremit posted:

Adelaide is poo poo, cold, and dead. :mad:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Ferremit posted:

I had to stop and ask who the hell did I tell I was in Adelaide then rememebered there's a couple of pictures I've been tagged in :) - Nice canoes ASC are building :)

Just down for the weekend, went to an 80th birthday today and caught up with the adopted brother. I'm at Semaphore, going up into the Hills tomorrow to some chocolate factory / winery. If you want to do a flying hello, let me know on da Facebooks.

The last year has gone by really oddly (46 tomorrow!) - it feels like only yesterday it started but also has gone by very slowly - I've packed in a hell of a lot on the last 365 days and so much has happened. Honestly, if the rest of my life goes the same way I'll be very happy. It kinda seems like I've finally started to get myself going in the right direction after some years of poo poo just not working out. I know there's a bunch of atheists here but I'm a God Botherer and I've been having a lot of faith based issues and also been going through a lot of depression at how hosed up life seems to get - I feel like I've started to get it worked out what exactly I want to stand for. None of this FYGM Religious Right racist / sexist / homophobic crap and much more for actually poo poo like giving a gently caress about the poor and haivng an extreme dislike for hypocracy - studying the Bible and then making GBS threads on the less well off is exactly the kind of thing the Church does too loving much and it stinks. I completely understand why Christians are seen as scum when you look at the assholes who gently caress over dem poors / blacks / LGBT and utterly ignore what the guy we say we should follow actually did. Oh and dont get me started on the Megachurch crap, that's pure moneychangers in the Temple crap and Jesus got REALLY pissed at that.

Sure, you could say it gets me to sleep at night. It's a crutch or whatever. Eh, maybe it is and it's a load of shite but I hope faith inspires me to be less of a RL dick and actually DO something good. And if say there is nothing out there, I'd rather go to the grave knowing I've made a real effort to not be a dick and a hypocrite.... and maybe, just maybe made the place a bit better. But I do think there's something out there and I'd rather say fce to face to that I was real about my faith and not been a dick to others ESPECIALLY if they dont share my views of faith - but believe me I wont tolerate racism / discrimination / homophobia etc. We're all fuckign humans and dammit, you should only be shouted down and shunned if you are a loving idiot.

Sorry about the diversion there - I honestly didnt think I was going to write that. Eh, whatever, have a good day :)

(But seriously, gently caress the Religious Right, loving homophones and hypocritcal assholes. They wouldnt know the real Jesus if He came back and called them Pharasees to their face)

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

T-Square posted:

... I'm immediately ordering a set of Kosei K1's and some rubber.

Started it up though, and no leaks! New waterpump and gasket seem to be holding their coolant this time around too. Need to add a quart or two of oil, and probably change the gearbox oil as well. Excited to drop it off the jackstands tomorrow morning and see what else will go terribly wrong.

Oh yeah, also moving into my new digs tomorrow. Got a bitchin' loft apartment in a neat small historical downtown area. There's a bar ten feet to the right of the front entrance to my building, and a bar/restaurant ten feet to the left that makes awesome Bloody Mary's and breakfast. Also, like 6 other bars within walking distance.
Kosei K1's are great wheels, what tires are you going with? We've been running the Dunlop Direzza's for the past couple years but we're going to try to BFG Rivals for the next race, everyone seems to like them.

The first test drive after a project is always a little tense. E30's are loving tough though so you should be ok.

I miss living in the city within walking distance of bars, restaurants and anything else. I think that was one of the things I like the most about Hannover/Berlin, I could walk or take public transportation to everything. The upside is I save a poo poo load of money and don't have to deal with idiots most of the time.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Out on a bike ride this morning and I saw my first tumbleweave.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

meatpimp posted:

There's been a tumbleweave on the side of the road on my way to work for a week or so now. It's caught in a bunch of grass right now.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

NitroSpazzz posted:

Kosei K1's are great wheels, what tires are you going with? We've been running the Dunlop Direzza's for the past couple years but we're going to try to BFG Rivals for the next race, everyone seems to like them.

The first test drive after a project is always a little tense. E30's are loving tough though so you should be ok.

I miss living in the city within walking distance of bars, restaurants and anything else. I think that was one of the things I like the most about Hannover/Berlin, I could walk or take public transportation to everything. The upside is I save a poo poo load of money and don't have to deal with idiots most of the time.

I was looking at Direzza's actually, I'm planning on ordering off of TireRack, and those along with Yokohama S. Drive's are the only performance tires they have for the 15in K1's. The Direzza's are $12 cheaper per tire too.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

T-Square posted:

I was looking at Direzza's actually, I'm planning on ordering off of TireRack, and those along with Yokohama S. Drive's are the only performance tires they have for the 15in K1's. The Direzza's are $12 cheaper per tire too.
Direzza's are excellent tires, go with those and you'll be happy. We're only looking at other tires because we're looking to get that extra second or so. The Direzza's hold up a full weekend of fairly hard driving, we're one of the faster E30's out there.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

meatpimp posted:

Heh. Can't believe that I didn't think think of that word during my rides. Nearly lol'd when I read it here on the city bus amongst budding tumbleweaves.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

I just picked up an original Surface Pro with the battery keyboard - is there anything cool I should be doing with it? I'd love to find a way to put Oyster on here but I don't think that'll be possible without an Android emulator or using the website (but that would require always being connected).

T-Square
May 14, 2009

It seems the E30 passed the test drive. Lots of WTF looks from neighbors at the old loud German car with no hood driving by. There's just one problem:

...I can't bring myself to hit the 'Place Order' button on my wheels and tires. I just cant justify dropping $920. Is this what being an adult feels like? :(

I guess I'll just have to settle for lame all-seaons and finish stripping and painting my OEM 14" Basketweaves.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

ExplodingSims posted:

Well I finally have a non-foodserviceretail job where I make a decent paycheck, crazy overtime, and have benefits. I'm really liking this so far.

'Course I should be saving all this money to move. But instead I'm shopping for a pony car. I'm not very good at this being an adult thing.
God drat that sounds familiar. Plus my CC and student loan Debt is almost gone and I have a steady girlfriend. Its nice.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 17:22 on May 9, 2015

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

gently caress garbage trucks. I'm literally 30 hours into this thing and I've only managed to get the tranny back 5 inches, through which I have to R&R the flywheel housing. I've barfed once so far, and I've still got about 5 pounds of rotting detritus to clear out before I can access all the (seized) bolts to get this thing off. And this is the only cabover I've seen that actually has less access to the powertrain than a conventional. The whole shop has become a soap opera as a result of this truck's presence, and I'm not even getting into the specifics of that because I'm still livid to the point of a meltdown about what's being said.
I really don't know how people work on these things every day.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Tommychu posted:

gently caress garbage trucks. I'm literally 30 hours into this thing and I've only managed to get the tranny back 5 inches, through which I have to R&R the flywheel housing. I've barfed once so far, and I've still got about 5 pounds of rotting detritus to clear out before I can access all the (seized) bolts to get this thing off. And this is the only cabover I've seen that actually has less access to the powertrain than a conventional. The whole shop has become a soap opera as a result of this truck's presence, and I'm not even getting into the specifics of that because I'm still livid to the point of a meltdown about what's being said.

:stare: Jesus Christ, gently caress that poo poo. That's a job I'm thankful I don't have.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Went for a sidewalk run on my normal 2.5mi circuit just now. Within the last week a concrete tile has been lifted up a couple inches on the edge, which I happened to kick while running at a good pace. I fell very hard onto my left knee. Lost skin on both knees, an elbow, a wrist, and beat up my phone's armband. Icing my left knee now and can already feel it swelling. Dammit.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Tommychu posted:

Friend of mine is a diesel mechanic and told me similar stories over the years, although most of his work was plant equipment.

I remember one time he came back from replacing hydraulic hoses on a bulldozer that was on a landfill, said the bottom and bellypan was full of rotting poo poo and maggots. He and another guy stripped down bare at the site and were washed with hot water pressure washers before leaving.

He was pretty quiet that night, sat down in silence with an odd look on his face.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Years ago I had a winter job (was a landscaper at the time) working in a diesel shop. They did a lot of trash trucks, mostly walking floor trailers. Nothing I've ever done was nastier than working on those trailers, so I can only imagine how bad it would have been if it weren't so cold out when I worked on them.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Motronic posted:

Years ago I had a winter job (was a landscaper at the time) working in a diesel shop. They did a lot of trash trucks, mostly walking floor trailers. Nothing I've ever done was nastier than working on those trailers, so I can only imagine how bad it would have been if it weren't so cold out when I worked on them.

I had to go to the local waste dump this week, the bastards there lined me up next to a loaded 40' walking floor, just as he opened the trailer doors and engaged his PTO.

I couldn't chuck poo poo out my van any faster, i couldn't wait to get out of there. You don't want to breathe that dust in..

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Workin on a Saturday. I refuse to work sober on a Saturday.

e: the pic doesn't show just how murky this beer is...it's almost funny.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Motronic posted:

One of my coworkers has a great story about working on some CHT valves on a submarine and watching a single turd roll out the end of the pipe. I'm really glad I get to avoid that.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
My friends brother used to work at a train depot, in the cleaning department. Besides dead bugs they had to clean off the leftovers from when animals got in the way of the trains, which seems nasty enough.

And then they had one dude whose job was to clean up after train jumpers. That was all that dude did. I wonder who he pissed off and how he coped with that (apparently he'd done it for as long as anyone could remember).

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Cat Terrist posted:

:)

(But seriously, gently caress the Religious Right, loving homophones and hypocritcal assholes. They wouldnt know the real Jesus if He came back and called them Pharasees to their face)

I think those that preach hate are all hiding their own inadequacies and sins. They're all hypocrites. None of us are perfect. I think faith or beliefs should just be about trying to be the best person you can while understanding who you are.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Joined a gym today. Aww yeah.

Went to Red Robin last night. Dammit.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Sorry jackass. Different model air filters cost different amounts of money.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

T-Square posted:

It seems the E30 passed the test drive. Lots of WTF looks from neighbors at the old loud German car with no hood driving by. There's just one problem:

...I can't bring myself to hit the 'Place Order' button on my wheels and tires. I just cant justify dropping $920. Is this what being an adult feels like? :(
:hfive: Hoodless loud loud German cars are the best. I do weekly runs around the neighborhood in the E21 with no hood or exhaust. Neighbors don't seem to mind and it gets the random dogs away from my house for a bit. Took a corner with a very little speed the other day and tore the poo poo out of my rear tire, need to get those fenders rolled...apparently 1/4" static isn't enough clearance.

CornHolio posted:

Now just make yourself to the drat gym a couple times a week and after a while you'll be able to enjoy Red Robin without feeling guilty.

928 alternator is shot, there isn't a complete circuit going through the thing and I can see something broken...new one on the way. Had it tested for shits and giggles, definitely broken. Not as terribly expensive as expected, $140 after I send the core back.

Now beer and cigar while I let the M3 drain it's remaining coolant.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

CornHolio posted:

What nitro said. Going to the gym and eating red robin is a lot better than just eating red robin. Start slow so you don't burn out and not want to go any more.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I was working on the cranes at work today, which meant I was up and down 14m (height) stairs dozens of times, carrying half my bodyweight in gear, wearing a fall harness. I actually feel pretty good, it made me realise I don't enjoy running as exercise but I'm happy with activities that work me out.

So of course we had pizza for tea and we're killing a bottle of wine between us now watching Ecclestone Dr Who. We've a closing date for selling our old house, the final touches are being put to the new one, and it's highly probable it's be ours just when I'm working 10 hours for 26 days straight :yayclod: life is interesting.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Sitting here watching the Indy Grand Prix with the parents, and man, those cars look crazy in motion. Still not a huge fan of the weird lookin' alien front aero but drat, it works.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Cakefool posted:

I was working on the cranes at work today, which meant I was up and down 14m (height) stairs dozens of times, carrying half my bodyweight in gear, wearing a fall harness. I actually feel pretty good, it made me realise I don't enjoy running as exercise but I'm happy with activities that work me out.

So of course we had pizza for tea and we're killing a bottle of wine between us now watching Ecclestone Dr Who. We've a closing date for selling our old house, the final touches are being put to the new one, and it's highly probable it's be ours just when I'm working 10 hours for 26 days straight :yayclod: life is interesting.

Northerner spotted.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

That reminds me, I watched some of the formula e racing earlier, what a cluster gently caress.

E: born in Derby, lived there, Dublin, Bolton, Bradford. I'm from everywhere.

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 21:34 on May 9, 2015

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Cakefool posted:

E: born in Derby, lived there, Dublin, Bolton, Bradford. I'm from everywhere.

Yep, all North.

I would rather eat my own face than go to Bradford, let alone live there. I'm far too white to go there, it's like another country.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

As I'm as white as they come, the only problems I had was with BNP cunts.

Southerner.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
I too am struggling with adulting. I'm hesitating on pulling the trigger on $150 worth of R/C car stuff from Hobby King.

I don't wanna grow up! (says the 31yo divorced guy with 2 kids)

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

bandman posted:

I too am struggling with adulting. I'm hesitating on pulling the trigger on $150 worth of R/C car stuff from Hobby King.

I don't wanna grow up! (says the 31yo divorced guy with 2 kids)

I'm almost 30 and have a $500 450 scale heli, a $120-ish 120 scale heli, a $150 2wd buggy, and i'm about to buy a $200 racing wheel setup come Monday / Tuesday. My dad is 50 and has the same $500 heli, plus a 200 scale one and a quadcopter we got him for Christmas. Buy the stuff, you're never too old to have fun. Enjoy life while it lasts man :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Cakefool posted:

As I'm as white as they come, the only problems I had was with BNP cunts.

I thought BNP had died, and with UKIP practically taking over their supporters. If UKIP had won (haha, as if..) i probably would've been on the first boat out, as i look like a Polish drug addict.

Love that UKIP and Greens got equal seats at 1 each, pair of jokes.

Cakefool posted:

Southerner.

*"loving Southern Fairy" i'll have you know.

• Locked thread