Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

NarkyBark posted:

Edit: no forgiving the wardrobe choices though. Holy poo poo those uniforms are terrible.

They're so cheap. I think I read they're so cheap because they were initially made for the Star Trek Phase II pilot that was eventually adapted into the Motion Picture. I can't believe no on eat any point wasn't like "just stick with the old uniform." Not that I'd always want them to, just the Motion Picture ones are so terrible. The jump from them to Wrath of Khan is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Snak posted:

The guy in "Conscience of the King" was the leader of a federation colony and he murdered half his population to make the food last longer for the remaining population.

He, obviously, was in the mental institution so he could someday sleep at night after sacrificing half of his constituency to save the other half.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Neo Rasa posted:

They're so cheap. I think I read they're so cheap because they were initially made for the Star Trek Phase II pilot that was eventually adapted into the Motion Picture. I can't believe no on eat any point wasn't like "just stick with the old uniform." Not that I'd always want them to, just the Motion Picture ones are so terrible. The jump from them to Wrath of Khan is amazing.

Surprisingly, no. Phase II was actually going to use uniforms that were extremely close to the TOS ones, it was Robert Wise who made them use the space jumpsuits.because he wanted muted colors.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Weird. I mean muted colors are cool but the material or whatever just looks so flimsy and cheap, horrible.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Star Trek uniforms always look cheap and lame, that's part of the fun. Style and fashion are dead, casualties of WWIII or something. It's a science-military vessel in the future, they're not gonna dress well.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

More velour! More lamé! More weird green sarongs and Nehru jackets!

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The point of the bungled mission in the opening scene, after all, is that the original Star Trek was kinda racist. Kirk is chastised for 'playing God', but the implicit point is that the federation actually does see itself as God to 'lower people'. The question raised by the prime directive is this: what is so toxic that contact with other people must be so carefully avoided? Why are the Star Trekkers trying desperately to preserve some paganist 'harmony with nature' nonsense? The opposition between pure harmony and catastrophic disruption forecloses a third possibility: beneficial disruption. Why not approach those people as brothers, instead of as children?

The Prime Directive was created because humanity has the hubris to think its particular timeline is the correct timeline and all other species must bow to this particular arrangement of events. Humanity didn't make official contact with aliens until Zephram Cochrane's warp flight, so the ONLY POSSIBLE way for any species to enter into the interstellar community is through that path. Anything else might risk that species not being totally in lock step agreement with the Federation.

Warp drive or go gently caress yourselves, weirdos.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Neo Rasa posted:

TWOK went with red because that color worked the best in dying the jumpsuits from TMP. The cadet jumpsuits are almost (if not) all leftover and reworked from TMP.

Now, TOS, they were so tight for costuming money that they were literally taking red-eye deliveries from illegal sweatshops.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Also the Prime Directive is clearly a bulwark against starship captains just going off and creating their own personal kingdoms all over the drat place, as seen with the inevitable tendency of captains to become corrupted and demented by their power.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

There's also the fact that the prime directive is a Starfleet directive, not a Federation directive. I figure the Federation can choose to break it, it just has to be decided by the civilian government as a whole rather than some military ship captain.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
It's important to keep in mind that Star Trek is really heavily metaphorical. The interplanetary travel isn't literal at all, nor are the individual planets.

For example, there's the planet from the TOS episode "Bread And Circuses" - a combination of the Roman Empire and 1960s America. This is explained away with bullshit, and makes pretty much no sense if taken literally. The obvious political metaphor, however, is that 1960s America is as bad as the Roman Empire.

It's also a prime directive episode, with Kirk trying to keep his existence hidden so that the Romans aren't unduly influenced. But the kicker is that the villain, the 'benevolent' leader of the Romans, also believes in 'the prime directive' - forcing the spacemen to assimilate into his society, to avoid disrupting his rule. So not only is this dystopian planet a metaphor for life in the 1960s, it's a metaphor for Starfleet's failure. Their directive gives this rear end in a top hat exactly what he wants.

At the end of the episode, everyone is confused about how primitive slave-aliens could understand universal brotherhood. It's Uhura - a black woman in 1968, mind - who patiently explains that they understand it because they're Christians. Already, in this episode from 1968 (written by Roddenberry!) Starfleet is getting called out for not being Christian enough.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
"Star Trek shows cracks in the liberal utopia" is probably the most conventional thing I've ever seen SMG write. It's, like - d'uh. That's so obvious, even the writers themselves knew it, and they sometimes even intentionally made that point.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Wasn't that like, the entire purpose of Deep Space Nine?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Neo Rasa posted:

Pretty much. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmcGUUSPvKM

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The prime directive is just there so Captain Kirk can break it. Is there a single pre-spaceship planet where he doesn't destroy their supercomputer overlord or collapse their entire way of life? Those Romans are hosed: I hope they enjoy their dark age after having television and dentistry for a while.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

This is unironically one of the best scenes in DS9, IMO.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Neo Rasa posted:

It's also why it's the best star trek show.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Cingulate posted:

"Star Trek shows cracks in the liberal utopia" is probably the most conventional thing I've ever seen SMG write. It's, like - d'uh. That's so obvious, even the writers themselves knew it, and they sometimes even intentionally made that point.

It's something that perhaps should be obvious, but gets lost in the technobabble and canonicity.

It's also important to look at the specific form of the message. DS9 has a scene where the characters explain directly to the audience that the federation is just like the borgs, but that lesson was already implicit from the moment the borgs were first introduced.

The whole concept of 'first contact' - and the prime directive as a means of regulating first contact - is a metaphor for trying to deal with/prevent radical social change. That's why First Contact makes absolutely no sense as a literal depiction of time-travel but focusses on the idea that whatshisface Cochran's discovery as unwittingly summoned the borgs (in the same way that the atomic bomb wakes Godzilla). It's Cochran's nightmare of the future: "what if I create something that sucks?" From the perspective of the Enterprise crew, the question they're exploring in this fantasy adventure is "where did we go wrong?" Why does the film begin with a 'gritty' space war?

So the Trekkers eventually defeat the borgs with their optimism or whatever, and the borgs are instantly replaced by benevolent vulcans. In other words, the vulcans and borgs are the same people, viewed from a slightly different perspective - both representing the future of humanity. Not coincidentally, Star Trek 2009 is also about a vulcan ship and a 'borg' ship suddenly arriving from the future to do battle on Earth in the present day.

The 'external' conflict of human-vulcan- borg just happens to perfectly align with the 'internal' friendship dynamic of Kirk-Spock-McCoy.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Oh like you don't know the characters' first names.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small
I STILL think we deserve a DS9 movie and a Voyager movie.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Whoever said The Motion Picture is a good paring with some weed wasn't kidding. That movie owned.

Onto Wrath of Khan!

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Jack Gladney posted:

Oh like you don't know the characters' first names.

Of course I do, but nobody calls him Dave Spock.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It's important to keep in mind that Star Trek is really heavily metaphorical. The interplanetary travel isn't literal at all, nor are the individual planets.

For example, there's the planet from the TOS episode "Bread And Circuses" - a combination of the Roman Empire and 1960s America. This is explained away with bullshit, and makes pretty much no sense if taken literally. The obvious political metaphor, however, is that 1960s America is as bad as the Roman Empire.

It's also a prime directive episode, with Kirk trying to keep his existence hidden so that the Romans aren't unduly influenced. But the kicker is that the villain, the 'benevolent' leader of the Romans, also believes in 'the prime directive' - forcing the spacemen to assimilate into his society, to avoid disrupting his rule. So not only is this dystopian planet a metaphor for life in the 1960s, it's a metaphor for Starfleet's failure. Their directive gives this rear end in a top hat exactly what he wants.

At the end of the episode, everyone is confused about how primitive slave-aliens could understand universal brotherhood. It's Uhura - a black woman in 1968, mind - who patiently explains that they understand it because they're Christians. Already, in this episode from 1968 (written by Roddenberry!) Starfleet is getting called out for not being Christian enough.

Christianity has a pretty bad history when it comes to spreading its good word with less advanced peoples. The Prime Directive quickly becomes absurd in most of the scenarios it crops up in but the concept that our hyper-advanced spacemen shouldn't become so full of their own poo poo that they think they have a moral obligation to spread their society to everyone else, particularly those who don't have the means to resist them, isn't a bad one. As I think we'd both agree, the Federation is pretty inadequate despite the technological wonders it's achieved, that they're not going round trying to induct pre-industrial civilisations into their society is one of their few saving graces.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Christianity has a pretty bad history when it comes to spreading its good word with less advanced peoples. The Prime Directive quickly becomes absurd in most of the scenarios it crops up in but the concept that our hyper-advanced spacemen shouldn't become so full of their own poo poo that they think they have a moral obligation to spread their society to everyone else, particularly those who don't have the means to resist them, isn't a bad one. As I think we'd both agree, the Federation is pretty inadequate despite the technological wonders it's achieved, that they're not going round trying to induct pre-industrial civilisations into their society is one of their few saving graces.

Unless it's run by a supercomputer

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

piscesbobbie posted:

I STILL think we deserve a DS9 movie and a Voyager movie.

First Contact could've been a joint TNG/DS9 movie, or even just a DS9 movie on its own. Sisko going apeshit on the Borg would've made more sense than Picard's out-of-nowhere vendetta, at least.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Colonialism is bad because of the exploitation of the colonized. Uhura is expressly not advocating that. Her implicit point is that the federation fails if it allows exploitation to persist anywhere - and that includes within the Federation itself.

This goes well beyond simple morality, and into ethics. There's nothing ethical in tolerating slavery because 'it's their culture' or 'they're just less advanced' or whatever.

The point of the twist is that Christ isn't just some dude from thousands of years ago, but a god who exists wherever people are enslaved. If you're not on Christ's side, whose side are you on?

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 02:22 on May 10, 2015

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

So the Trekkers eventually defeat the borgs with their optimism or whatever, and the borgs are instantly replaced by benevolent vulcans. In other words, the vulcans and borgs are the same people, viewed from a slightly different perspective - both representing the future of humanity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOQnppM5P74

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

PeterWeller posted:

TMP is rad. It's a long TOS episode with really great effects. So they show off the model. You'd want to show that model off too. :colbert:

When that scene started in the theaters in '79, there was cheering and clapping from the audience. You had to be there, man.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Does the bluray set contain the directors cut of The Motion Picture?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yaws posted:

Does the bluray set contain the directors cut of The Motion Picture?

No, the new FX for TMP were made in SD only. The Blu-Ray set contains the theatrical cut only.

Personally, I'd prefer to watch the Director's Cut in SD than the Theatrical in HD.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

MikeJF posted:

Personally, I'd prefer to watch the Director's Cut in SD than the Theatrical in HD.

Yeah? I've only seen the theatrical cut (which I loved). Kinda curious about the DC.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Yaws posted:

Yeah? I've only seen the theatrical cut (which I loved). Kinda curious about the DC.

The Director's Edition has some positives and negatives. By and large, the pacing is improved and the new effects are pretty seamless with a few exceptions, but there are some inexplicable changes (removing Kirk's second "viewer off!" is unforgivable) and the new sound mix is just terrible.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Timby posted:

The Director's Edition has some positives and negatives. By and large, the pacing is improved and the new effects are pretty seamless with a few exceptions, but there are some inexplicable changes (removing Kirk's second "viewer off!" is unforgivable) and the new sound mix is just terrible.

You can't mess with THWOMMMM.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Prime Directive Talk: I always figured the PD came from the position that no matter how pure your motivations are, stepping into another people's poo poo because you have a Better Idea is just setting the stage for you lording over the other people. Over time, you're just going to be a micromanager at best.

Hell, one of the best bits of Enterprise was a Vulcan saying "We found you folks after a world war half a decade ago, and guess what? We're still here."

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Trailer time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szYGln3eNeA

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
It's been some time since I've run through TOS but if any of that is a callback to something that happened, I'm missing it

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Rewired Gorn, mebbe?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It's a callback to all the times they were marooned on an alien planet made of styrofoam rocks and plastic sets and got caught up in a heavy-handed political allegory, so in that sense it looks like the most true to TOS film since The Undiscovered Country

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

The series is dead, Jim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

A Steampunk Gent posted:

It's a callback to all the times they were marooned on an alien planet made of styrofoam rocks and plastic sets and got caught up in a heavy-handed political allegory, so in that sense it looks like the most true to TOS film since The Undiscovered Country

Yep, you probably nailed it.

• Locked thread