Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
Happy Piccolo Day, everyone!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Happy Piccolo Day, everyone!

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
I am happy to celebrate Piccolo day.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Fitting that the episode I watch in Dragon Ball Z Kai was one where Gohan had Piccolo give him his outfit. Piccolo really is the best dad.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
It's official. Happy Piccolo Day everyone!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2015-05-09/may-9-officially-recognized-as-goku-day/.87998

Is this enough reason to go to war with Japan?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

the very first comment is someone posting the Piccolo Day pic and the only other one is a dude being like "I know right wtf"

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

To be fair, Goku did kill Piccolo on the very first annual Piccolo Day.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
Well, Goku killed King Piccolo, then Piccolo killed Goku. Then Buu killed Piccolo, then Goku killed Buu. It checks out by Roman emperor logic. :v:

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
You know I'm wondering does Kai by chance remove any of the original filler stuff *etc Gohan and Buutenks fighting evenly for a minute/Piccolo, Yamcha and Tein somehow beating the poo poo or holding their own against Cell Jrs? Because it's not like they could of put the filler saga's into two episodes or three.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
I propose a compromise, today shall be known as GoPiccolo day.

It just rolls off the tongue.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Thyrork posted:

I propose a compromise, today shall be known as GoPiccolo day.

It just rolls off the tongue.

There can be no compromise.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Zwingley posted:

Well, Goku killed King Piccolo, then Piccolo killed Goku. Then Buu killed Piccolo, then Goku killed Buu. It checks out by Roman emperor logic. :v:

History is written by the victors.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Zwingley posted:

Wait. Nappa killed Piccolo.
Vegeta killed Nappa.
Frieza killed Vegeta.
Trunks killed Frieza.
Cell killed Trunks (right?).
Gohan killed Cell.
Buu killed Gohan.
Goku killed Buu.

Yeah okay seems legit.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I don't give a hot gay gently caress what the praetorian guard thinks! Legalize weed now, dude!

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Xibanya posted:

I don't give a hot gay gently caress what the praetorian guard thinks! Legalize weed now, dude!

If King PIccolo legalized weed no one would have a problem with him and Goku would be vilified.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

SirDrone posted:

You know I'm wondering does Kai by chance remove any of the original filler stuff *etc Gohan and Buutenks fighting evenly for a minute/Piccolo, Yamcha and Tein somehow beating the poo poo or holding their own against Cell Jrs? Because it's not like they could of put the filler saga's into two episodes or three.

I don't recall, but for the most part Kai follows the manga panel for panel whenever possible and only includes non-manga material strictly when removing it would greatly interrupt the logical flow. And even then they still sometimes remove it causing jarring cuts during episodes.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

God drat, having a new show and a movie is cool and all but is there any word on when Kai's Buu Saga will be dubbed? :( Wanna hear that dub with the new music so bad.

It might not be Falcouner levels of :krad: for stuff like the SSJ3 transformation but the scene when Vegeta blows himself up got an awesome treatment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCOZ9J-7fVI

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

kuririn is not acceptable under any cirumstances
Following Dragonball since the early nineties, I really didn't pick up on "Krillin" until DBZA. The manga ended in 95, and I wasn't really interested in reliving the series until nearly twenty years later.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
There has been some arguing on Facebook today. I'll be cold in my grave before I recognize Goku!

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Goku already has Kamehameha day this affront against Piccolo will not stand

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Goku Day is now trending on my Facebook Feed. I hate this.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Y'all know there's also more than one Piccolo Day, right? In the dub it's May 13.

I say we call May 13 Piccolo Day (since most of us are dub watchers of some stripe anyways) and let Goku have today.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

gently caress Piccolo, he had Krillin killed. It's Goku Day!

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
It's Piccolo day you motherfuckers you can't just change it like that.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

loving saiyan scum

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
More stuff on visual storytelling: the secret to how Toriyama can make a semi-coherent story without planning anything ahead

You have to read the other effort posts to understand this one. Click the ? under my name or find all the posts in order on this blog thing: https://manuelamalasanya.wordpress.com/effort-series/

Good comic book creators know their characters as if their characters were real people with whom the comics creator had lived with all their lives. Even if some component of a character is never explicitly made known to the audience, it's vital to have a clear picture of any main character's inner life so that the "acting" of that character maintains consistency. Happily, the next segment of Chapter 30 provides a great example.

Goku: *Gasp* *Gasp*
Roshi: "Ho ho! So even Goku is running out of steam, eh?"
Goku: "Ol' timer...I really can't deliver these with my flying cloud?"
Roshi: That wouldn't be training, now, would it.
Roshi: What memories...! Long ago Son Gohan and Gyu-Mao delivered milk just as you're doing now...
Goku: Really?!! My grandpa did this too?!!
Goku: Wow...

I've broken up the images like this so you can view each expression in isolation and out of the panel's sequence.

Notice how in column 1, we have an aerial view. We are taking Roshi's point of view as he looks downward at Goku. It's not that Roshi literally "looks down on Goku" in the sense that he thinks badly of him, but we get the sense that Roshi is mature or complete in the sense that he is done growing as a person while Goku still has a long way to go. I wonder what Toriyama imagines Goku might look like at the end of his journey?

Well! While this sketch was done as a gag (Goku will probably never literally look like this in any "canon" Dragonball media.) I think it's telling as far as the way Toriyama views Goku's relationship with Roshi.

Look at Roshi's body on the rock he's sitting on. The rock is smooth and round and its surface is not unlike the top of Roshi's head. The tendril of a vine reaches toward Roshi's leg. He's practically a part of nature itself. His staff also creates continuity between his body and the rock. (Also check out how that round rock aligns with his smoke rings.) Contrast Goku in column 1 - he's coming up off of the stairs and has sets of nearly perpendicular lines behind him. His eyes reflect panic. This juxtaposition is no accident.

In column 2, Note also that Roshi is chilling here smokin'. Not only does that show that he's been up there long enough to pack a bowl, he's showing the reader and his students that running up a mountain ain't even a big deal to him.

Column three now puts us at eye level with Goku and Roshi. Roshi is looking up at nothing in particular. He's not staring at Goku. His arms point inward toward his body also. He's talking to Goku, but he's not really talking to him. It shows us the depth of Roshi's reminiscing better than having him just look straight at Goku. As for Goku, he's floored -- so shocked he dropped the milk crate. Unlike Roshi, whose arms point inward, Goku's like an asterisk. Why would Goku be so surprised? He knew from the very beginning that Roshi was Gohan's master. Maybe he respected Gohan so much that it must have never crossed his mind that his Grandpa ever did something so silly as deliver milk. Notice how he's also leaning back ever so slightly.

And now column four - Goku is beaming! It's easy to jump through this panel without really focusing on it because it's actually a pretty small part of the entire page.

Nonetheless, the fact that we get a whole panel of Goku looking happy as a clam instead of having this be part of a panel he shares with someone else or having him smile but in a "oh, that's neat!" sort of way is something Toriyama did on purpose. Goku just learned of a point of commonality between himself and Gohan. If it makes him this thrilled, he must really have looked up to Gohan and now sorely misses him. This might not even be something Goku can articulate to himself, much less say out loud, and throwing in a flashback would shift the story's focus, so instead Goku's expression says it all.

Really? Goku misses his grandpa that much? It's fine to interpret the expression as coming out of that, but how can anyone really be sure that was Toriyama's intention? Fortunately, we don't have to speculate, as proof is provided (78 chapters later.)

Goku sees Gohan alive again (recall that the last time Goku saw him, he was dead from being crushed :stonk:)

Interestingly, you can see in the page above that Goku's pupils aren't solid black. That indicates that they're reflecting more light (ie, they're wet from tears.) That further distinguishes Goku's crying here from similar panels in which he had a giant teardop hanging out of the corner of his eye in a humorous "play crying" manner.

vs

vs.
On the next page Goku sobs while hugging Gohan - not only do we see it, Gohan, Bulma and Yamcha discuss the fact that Goku is crying. The purpose of having them do so (why tell when you're already showing?) is because we've been shown characters sort of "play crying" or "play sweating" throughout the series as a way to humorously exaggerate their distress so Toriyama had to have several characters actually confirm for us what is going on to make sure we understood the scene correctly.

From viz copy:
Goku: Waah! Grampa-!!
Gohan: Silly boy, there's no need to cry.
Bulma: Oh dear, Goku's crying.
Yamcha: No surprise, strong as he is, Goku is still a kid.
Goku: Sniff

In this panel Goku is asking if Gohan is going to come live with him again. (oh my god :qq: )

(lol, kids love to do this.)
Goku: Hey! Hey!! I've got something neat to show you, grampa!!
Goku shows Gohan that he's still got the four star ball. Gohan's response is something like "oh, that old thing?" If Gohan didn't consider the dragonball to be particularly special, then the only reason that Goku treats it as if it were special is his love for Gohan.

Gohan says he cannot stay with Goku. Goku demands to know why.

And of course, we see evidence that this was a planned component of Goku's character right from the very beginning:

"Hey! Let go of grandpa! That was his last possession! Even girls aren't allowed to touch it!"

From the beginning, Toriyama knew that the fact that Goku misses Gohan would inform Goku's behavior and emotions. Since Toriyama famously didn't plan ahead, at the time he drew that panel of Goku beaming at hearing that Gohan once delivered milk too, he didn't even know if he would ever explicitly spell out the way Goku felt, but it was key to informing the manner in which he depicted Goku's facial expressions. Toriyama drawing Goku like this in Chapter 30 was not done to specifically foreshadow Goku's fight with Gohan at Urani Baba's arena because Toriyama had no idea what he was going to do after the tournament arc at the time, but by knowing his characters' inner lives, he plants the seeds of that story and gives the illusion that it might have been planned - and since everything is natural to the flow of the story, you don't get any forced foreshadowing that looks awkward if it ends up being for an aborted arc that never happens (unlike some works I could mention.) By keeping everything unified like this, he is better able to operate by the seat-of-his-pants storytelling method he seems to prefer.

Here's the next set of images. I don't have much to say about this part since a lot of what I would have said has already been covered. I do want to point out that when Krillin arrives it sort of disrupts the magical moment that Roshi was having since he no longer has that sort of one-with-nature placement in the composition - notice how his staff now sets him apart from the rock. Also, Krillin's eyes are hilarious.

I swear I'm almost done.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I remember in the English dub of the anime, Goku has a line like "Grandpa, I searched all over the world but I couldn't find you anywhere!", and it was just sad as hell. He just woke up one day and suddenly he was alone without explanation. :smith:

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop

Oh wow. All because "Go" and "Ku" can be read as 5 and 9 respectively. Not even because it already has some importance in the show.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Cerony posted:

Oh wow. All because "Go" and "Ku" can be read as 5 and 9 respectively. Not even because it already has some importance in the show.

What was the reason for Piccolo Day being May 9th?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
That was the day he took over the world.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Awesome Welles posted:

God drat, having a new show and a movie is cool and all but is there any word on when Kai's Buu Saga will be dubbed? :( Wanna hear that dub with the new music so bad.

It might not be Falcouner levels of :krad: for stuff like the SSJ3 transformation but the scene when Vegeta blows himself up got an awesome treatment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCOZ9J-7fVI

Lol, actually holding out hope that the dub is ever coming out.

You sweet summer child.

Captain Q
Nov 30, 2005

I CONJURE THIS INTREPID FANTASYSCAPE WITH TEARS BLED FROM THE WISDOM-WEARY EYES OF FIFTY THOUSAND IMAGINARY MAGICIANS

Deakul posted:

You sweet summer child.

I mean I'm not trying to rain on your negativity parade here but I don't see exactly why you seem to be so convinced it's out of the question? DBZ is p big right now, unless I'm missing something.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
And it's not like we didn't get the rest of Kai, plus theatrical English dubbed releases of BoG and RoF

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Technically, we haven't gotten RoF yet.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Some Numbers posted:

Technically, we haven't gotten RoF yet.

It's confirmed coming to theaters in August, I believe. We know we're getting it, unlike KaiBuu.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Deakul posted:

You sweet summer child.

Hmm yes the Dub will never come out despite the fact they only started doing the Buu saga because of the western fanbase.

e:

quote:

Voice actress Mayumi Tanaka [Krillen] reported on her blog on Monday that she is recording more dialogue for Dragon Ball Z Kai. However, she noted that the anime will no longer air in Japan, even though it will continue overseas.

Kild fucked around with this message at 03:54 on May 10, 2015

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Saying goodbye to Piccolo day the only way I know how

vomit inducing drinks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
wheres the purple

• Locked thread