Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I don't think that anyone has said she isn't a horrible person, just that she's polite and friendly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

BBJoey posted:

I feel like "to be fair it's bad that she allows prisoners to be tortured and fed to dogs but when she meets them in person she's cordial" is not the best possible argument to make particularly when discussing Nazis.
We're talking about Nazis, which are generally shown to be monstrous, inhuman assholes. Like yeah she's still lovely, but in the grand scheme of "Nazis as portrayed in fiction" she's practically a saint.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

SirSamVimes posted:

I don't think that anyone has said she isn't a horrible person, just that she's polite and friendly.
Multiple people have called her "reasonable" and "well-adjusted" which are I feel not words that you generally use to describe alcoholic psychopaths :shrug:

Xenomrph posted:

We're talking about Nazis, which are generally shown to be monstrous, inhuman assholes. Like yeah she's still lovely, but in the grand scheme of "Nazis as portrayed in fiction" she's practically a saint.
I'm pretty sure that "owns a giant castle in which she houses mental patients in horrific conditions who she interrogates so she can uncover a horrible secret oh and also sometimes she lets the mental patients be fed to dogs" is quite far from saintly even on a Nazi scale??? Like I don't know what fiction you're consuming that "allows asylum patients be eaten by dogs" qualifies as "saintly".

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Also, the wine isn't a quirk, it's a signal that she's an alcoholic.

Like, her overall motivation isn't entirely what you expect, but the baseline is still Nazi.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
Oh yeah, the murders... I forgot she sanctioned that.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It feels like knife takedowns are faster than pipe ones, I guess the tradeoff is that the knife is less useful if you get noticed and stuck in a straight fight.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

BBJoey posted:

Multiple people have called her "reasonable" and "well-adjusted" which are I feel not words that you generally use to describe alcoholic psychopaths :shrug:

I'm pretty sure that "owns a giant castle in which she houses mental patients in horrific conditions who she interrogates so she can uncover a horrible secret oh and also sometimes she lets the mental patients be fed to dogs" is quite far from saintly even on a Nazi scale??? Like I don't know what fiction you're consuming that "allows asylum patients be eaten by dogs" qualifies as "saintly".
You realize no one is trying to defend her as a good person, yes? You seem to be getting really agitated about this for some reason.

I'm not saying she's actually a saint, I'm saying she's a saint by comparison. You've heard that expression before, right?

When 99% of Nazis in fiction are portrayed as actively engaging first-hand in torture and genocide, getting one who isn't an outright screaming sociopath 100% of the time and actually acts civil towards non-Nazis is in fact objectively tamer than most fiction Nazis. The fact that people in this thread can overlook her heinous poo poo long enough to say "huh, she's like a human being (albeit a horrible one) and not a caricature like 99% of fictional Nazis" is a testament to the quality of the writing in the game.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 06:47 on May 9, 2015

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

If you think about it Hitler was a good guy. I mean he did kill Hitler. Then again he also killed the guy who killed Hitler

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

Hitler was a saint by comparison.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Haha that loving "pipe across the knee from behind, then pipe through the eyesocket" sneak kill.

Shits amazing.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

I only got the stealth kill where you drive the pipe half through the nazis neck with the other pipe while blood pumps through the opening once :smith:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Bolow posted:

I only got the stealth kill where you drive the pipe half through the nazis neck with the other pipe while blood pumps through the opening once :smith:
I like the "quick thinking" one when you drop into the elevator on the way to the castle tram station. Half the pipe into the side of the neck, then use the other half to tap the first half clean through the other side of the neck. :gibs:

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Xenomrph posted:

When 99% of Nazis in fiction are portrayed as actively engaging first-hand in torture and genocide, getting one who isn't an outright screaming sociopath 100% of the time and actually acts civil towards non-Nazis is in fact objectively tamer than most fiction Nazis. The fact that people in this thread can overlook her heinous poo poo long enough to say "huh, she's like a human being (albeit a horrible one) and not a caricature like 99% of fictional Nazis" is a testament to the quality of the writing in the game.
there is in fact a whole world of fiction out there where Nazis aren't child-eating monsters. this is why I found it bizarre that people were saying that Helga is "reasonable" and "well-adjusted" (again, direct quotes from goons); in my personal experience "feeds mental patients to dogs" is actually a pretty extremely negative character trait but I suppose if the only villains you have been exposed to are of the "personally tortures orphans" variety Helga may seem "saintly" in comparison.

also you keep repeating this "acts civil towards non-Nazis" thing but I have to object and say that allowing non-Nazis to be tortured and okay I know I am repeating myself but come on dude eaten alive by dogs is not "civil". ymmv?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

"feeds mental patients to dogs" is Rudi's character trait, not hers.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I like that she's not than a cardboard enemy and has since layers but she's a Nazi in a video game and she's gotta die

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

BBJoey posted:

there is in fact a whole world of fiction out there where Nazis aren't child-eating monsters.
I should have clarified "Nazis in Weird War II fiction" I guess.

echronorian posted:

I like that she's not than a cardboard enemy and has since layers but she's a Nazi in a video game and she's gotta die
Bingo, right on the money. :hfive:

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Compared to Deathshead and Frau Engel, she is less evil on a scale where Hitler is a metric. Probably. Maybe. She never had the chance to do what the others did.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Xenomrph posted:

To be completely fair, while it's lovely that she turns a blind eye to the crazy poo poo Rudi does with the prisoners, if you find the hidden audio recording in the Library it makes it pretty clear that she treats the asylum inmates pretty well in her personal interactions with them.

She's still a Nazi which means she deserves to die on principle though.
Aw poo poo, I missed that recording. I missed a lot of letters, too. Replays!

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

SirSamVimes posted:

"feeds mental patients to dogs" is Rudi's character trait, not hers.

Helga both owns Castle Wolfenstein and commands the forces stationed there, everything Rudi does is approved by her.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
Best bit so far:

"You look like a BJ."
"Uh, thanks"

Grognan posted:

she is less evil on a scale where Hitler is a metric

How many milliHitlers is she

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

BBJoey posted:

Helga both owns Castle Wolfenstein and commands the forces stationed there, everything Rudi does is approved by her.

stop getting angry about videogame nazis you twonk, its obvious what people mean

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

stop getting angry about videogame nazis you twonk, its obvious what people mean
:rolleye:

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Prenton posted:

Best bit so far:

"You look like a BJ."
"Uh, thanks"

How many milliHitlers is she

While we're at it, should characters like Strasse and Dr. Schabbs be measured on some form of Mengele-o-meter scale for science-based atrocities?

I was thinking the supersoldiers should net Deathshead .8 mengeles at least

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

BBJoey posted:

Well there are people who think Pagan Min from Far Cry 4 is not that bad of a guy. Never mind that one of the first things he does is murder a guy with a pen and have an associate of yours tortured.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

he's still the least poo poo character in the game though which says a lot about ubisoft's total inability to write likable characters.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

poptart_fairy posted:

you twonk, its obvious what people mean

Thank you for the new insult.

Best pipe kill is using the hook end to twirl around the soldier at the arm, then use the other sharp end to slash it across the neck. Efficient. DEADLY. BLASKO.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I do like how that animation is used if you sneak up on the first zombie. BJ's reaction is priceless.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

blackguy32 posted:

Well there are people who think Pagan Min from Far Cry 4 is not that bad of a guy. Never mind that one of the first things he does is murder a guy with a pen and have an associate of yours tortured.

It's not that people don't think he's a bad guy, it's that he's the least worst person in the entire game because everyone else is even more evil and sociopathic than Pagan Min. Ubisoft keep writing villains who somehow look good compared to the protagonists despite whatever evil acts they perform.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Pretty much. On his own Pagan Min is a lunatic abusing the country for his own gains, but he's running up against literal child murderers, someone who slashes the throat of anyone who disagrees with him, etc etc etc.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Far Cry 4 would have been much better if they didn't go out of their way to immediately paint Pagan as a psychopath. The first thing he does in the game is stab one of his own guards to death with a golden pen.

If they had made the opening scene with him a pleasant conversation without the huge grandiose displays of violence to really display he's a nutjob the entire tone of the game would have been much different. All those phone calls you get from him and the idea that he's a harsh person who needs to do what he's doing to maintain order would have been better than what they did.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
Helga struck me as opportunist more then a die hard Nazi. She just uses them as funding for her digs and treasure hunts and gives them the Nazi song and dance when someone like strasse or hitler arrive. I am sure she buys into some of the ideology and definitely evil though to lesser extent then strasse. I see her more as Belloq from Raiders of the Lost Ark.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

End question: who is the woman that American GI tells "Miss, we need to get our of here" to? (When you're in the rowboat.)

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
If I just thought TNO was a standard shooter (albeit one that was very good about it), should I give TOB a shot?

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

moths posted:

End question: who is the woman that American GI tells "Miss, we need to get our of here" to? (When you're in the rowboat.)

Annette's girlfriend, if she survives.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Phrasing posted:

Hitler was a saint by comparison.

"He likes dogs. He must be a good person."

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
BJ kills so many puppies, who's the real monster?

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
"BJ, you killed a puppy!"

"I KILLED A NAZI"

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Pipe Chat: my favorite pipe moment was near the end of chapter one, where you activate the Pipe Prompt and instead of a burst of ultra violence, BJ gingerly reaches through a window and uses the pipe to gently tap a button which opens the building's door. A nice misdirect away from all rock shattering and neck stabbing.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Carecat posted:

BJ kills so many puppies, who's the real monster?

I'm pretty sure it's still Hitler.

Less of a monster, but still bad? Whoever designed the final boss fight. So. Dull.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
"Alright, Nazis are all dead. You can come o-"
"AMERICAN!"
"Never mind..."

Probably my favorite bit of dialogue so far.

• Locked thread