Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
elendilmir
Apr 19, 2005

New Leaf posted:

This is what Tina cosplay should look like. Well done!

I'm just flat out delighted that Tina cosplay has become a thing. And that people are doing it well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

Source

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Small girl: "Wait... what?"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Say Nothing posted:

Small girl: "Wait... what?"

This is just something he does, he also went as Spider-Man one year. Apparently he likes doing it so he can actually walk around a con without being swamped.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

muscles like this? posted:

This is just something he does, he also went as Spider-Man one year. Apparently he likes doing it so he can actually walk around a con without being swamped.

Imagine that. A person wanting to be somebody else for a little while.

Will wonders never cease?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I wanna see Daniel Radcliffe go to Comic Con or something dressed up in a really lovely Harry Potter costume. Just some graduation gown and yellow tie with red marker stripes tied like poo poo and the wrong kind of glasses and a badly drawn lightning bolt on his head and a twig for a wand, and I want to see if anyone recognizes him.

Like, I want this to be a thing. Actors cosplaying as low-budget versions of their characters.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Jamesman posted:

I wanna see Daniel Radcliffe go to Comic Con or something dressed up in a really lovely Harry Potter costume. Just some graduation gown and yellow tie with red marker stripes tied like poo poo and the wrong kind of glasses and a badly drawn lightning bolt on his head and a twig for a wand, and I want to see if anyone recognizes him.

Like, I want this to be a thing. Actors cosplaying as low-budget versions of their characters.

Yeah I recall Hugh Jackman going as a set-ready Wolverine one year, but I'd like to lovely versions of their most famous characters way way more. Andrew Garfield had the right idea but he did it before ASM1 came out.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

mind the walrus posted:

Yeah I recall Hugh Jackman going as a set-ready Wolverine one year, but I'd like to lovely versions of their most famous characters way way more. Andrew Garfield had the right idea but he did it before ASM1 came out.

Didn't that also end up with a "Charlie Chaplin lookalike contest" moment, where Jackman didn't even win the cosplay competition?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Didn't that also end up with a "Charlie Chaplin lookalike contest" moment, where Jackman didn't even win the cosplay competition?

I didn't hear that bit at all when it happened. That sounds like an addendum for kids who didn't know about the Charlie Chaplin story.

Besides aren't cosplay competitions judged more on things like who went to the most ludicrous lengths a civilian can go to in order to make costumes and usually go to that one guy or girl who made like a transforming set of working power armor or hand-sewn 19th Century dress with 8 foot train and details you can only truly appreciate with a microscope?

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Saw an interview with Jackman saying he had the SFX dept make a movie accurate Wolverene costume for his kid and took him trick or treating - no one recognised Jackman.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

muscles like this? posted:

It's becoming more and more popular for celebs to go incognito at Comic-Con because they get to be a face in the crowd and get the full experience. Bryan Cranston wore a latex Walter White mask and walked around for a bit before his panel and then revealed it at the panel.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

mind the walrus posted:

Besides aren't cosplay competitions judged more on things like who went to the most ludicrous lengths a civilian can go to in order to make costumes and usually go to that one guy or girl who made like a transforming set of working power armor or hand-sewn 19th Century dress with 8 foot train and details you can only truly appreciate with a microscope?

What's more fun are the Halloween costume competitions where the person who spent 18 months and $5000 making a screen-accurate Iron Man costume with working visor and lights comes second to a 6 year old kid in an off-the-rack storebought costume and they bitch about it for YEARS :v:

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
There was something like that at a harry potter book promotion. Some woman posted a giant rant (first time I ever heard someone complain about breeders) about how unfair it was the prize went to a kid who wouldn't even appreciate it.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRXCxu4pFN4

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Dr_Amazing posted:

There was something like that at a harry potter book promotion. Some woman posted a giant rant (first time I ever heard someone complain about breeders) about how unfair it was the prize went to a kid who wouldn't even appreciate it.

I know a guy like this. He contacted the people who run the con because he lost to a kid.

:v: Grown rear end man, pissed about costumes.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Dr_Amazing posted:

This was loving legendary. She totally lost her poo poo and it was unreal. A grown woman was screaming impotently on the Internet about losing a costume contest for a ~super special~ copy of a children's book, insulting the kid, his parents, and his costume. I remember thinking "there's no way this is real" when I first read about it.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

VendaGoat posted:

I know a guy like this. He contacted the people who run the con because he lost to a kid.

:v: Grown rear end man, pissed about costumes.

I now desperately want to know if we know the same people or if there are just a lot of cosplay people who suck out there. I know a few people who get pretty salty about losing contests on the regular and they are also all middle-aged men. Plenty of guys who do cosplay in that demographic are totally awesome but for whatever reason, from what I've seen, the people who complain the loudest and most childishly about losing are 50ish year old men.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

McPantserton posted:

I now desperately want to know if we know the same people or if there are just a lot of cosplay people who suck out there. I know a few people who get pretty salty about losing contests on the regular and they are also all middle-aged men. Plenty of guys who do cosplay in that demographic are totally awesome but for whatever reason, from what I've seen, the people who complain the loudest and most childishly about losing are 50ish year old men.

In my, admittedly limited, experience, there is a subset of cosplayers that I would label as a "Diva". If you don't acknowledge how talented, beautiful, whatever they are, a hissy fit ensues.

Thankfully, I've only ever encountered two.

VVVV Jesus....

VendaGoat has a new favorite as of 16:51 on May 9, 2015

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

McPantserton posted:

...or if there are just a lot of cosplay people who suck out there.

This is the case. I took third in a contest once and was accused of sleeping with (all 3) judges backstage to get them to pick me. I didn't even take first, and people still gave me crap.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Reformed Tomboy posted:

This is the case. I took third in a contest once and was accused of sleeping with (all 3) judges backstage to get them to pick me. I didn't even take first, and people still gave me crap.

Fortunately more of them are great than terrible though. :3: In fact, here's one of my favorite cospeople, I met him and his daughters at a contest recently and he and his whole family are just fantastic. It's terrible for a cosplayer but I have really terrible stage fright and they have talked me down from flipping my poo poo more than once. He goes by The Cosplay Dad.

And this one is him and me backstage at c2e2, his daughter was in the front row and made me feel like 100x better on stage.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Reformed Tomboy posted:

The second you start ranking people, jealousy rears it's ugly head. They might be totally chill outside posing with that same kid before the contest, but the second you tell people that that kid is better then you in a professional setting, even as a joke, people can lose it.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Dr_Amazing posted:

Skip to about 40:42 and enjoy :v:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The X-Men movie costumes are so basic that all anyone's going to assume if Jackman is walking around in his is that a guy who looks a lot like Hugh Jackman decided to put a bit of piping on a motorcycle outfit to take advantage of it.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

McPantserton posted:

Fortunately more of them are great than terrible though. :3:

Yeah, this has been my experience as well. I've met some really awesome people through cosplay.

Anora posted:

The second you start ranking people, jealousy rears it's ugly head.

Indeed. I'm sort of glad I'm no longer eligible for that particular contest any more. There was always drama with the winners.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

McPantserton posted:

Fortunately more of them are great than terrible though. :3: In fact, here's one of my favorite cospeople, I met him and his daughters at a contest recently and he and his whole family are just fantastic. It's terrible for a cosplayer but I have really terrible stage fright and they have talked me down from flipping my poo poo more than once. He goes by The Cosplay Dad.

He needs a jungle camouflage costume and a minigun with ammo pack

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

Comicbook wolverine is like 5'3", jackman is 6'+. He is too tall.

preemptive: :goonsay: and/or :spergin:

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Ygolonac posted:

He needs a jungle camouflage costume and a minigun with ammo pack

He needs to buy a hospital and threaten to fire House.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
He needs a lab coat and a sign that says "Cylon."

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Ygolonac posted:

He needs a jungle camouflage costume and a minigun with ammo pack blue disposable razor

Fixed that for you.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

jaffa kree!

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Looks like Titus got another Times Square mascot job! :3:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Is that one Zasalamel? I think that's the first I've seen of anyone cosplaying as him. Or..anyone other than Ivy, come to think of it.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Just got one of the best compliments on my photography ever, from this pic.

Made her Mom understand Cosplay. :blush:

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

kirbysuperstar posted:

Is that one Zasalamel? I think that's the first I've seen of anyone cosplaying as him. Or..anyone other than Ivy, come to think of it.

Yes!! It's part of how we got to be friends, it's Soul Calibur 4 Zasalamel and my group and I did SC4 a few years ago

Cosplay Dad also did SC3 Zasalamel, told us he worked on that chainmail on business trips in like 3-4 different countries

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

McPantserton posted:

Cosplay Dad also did SC3 Zasalamel, told us he worked on that chainmail on business trips in like 3-4 different countries

Really want to know what airport security and customs thought of that

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

mind the walrus posted:

Really want to know what airport security and customs thought of that

I asked, he said he always checked the tools and stuff while actually flying and he has business guy airport clearance because he travels a lot for his job so it wasn't too big a deal

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

I associate you with your space marine armor so it's weird to see someone taller than you. :orks:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Dick Trauma posted:

I associate you with your space marine armor so it's weird to see someone taller than you. :orks:

My next costume will be taller :kiddo:

• Locked thread