Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Rocksicles posted:

It's loving owned by Warner, "Hey CW, you are picking up Constantine, cancel that wack vampire poo poo." "Yes i am serious" *click*

Why would Warner do that or want that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Who rattled your cage, go back under your bridge.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rocksicles posted:

It's loving owned by Warner, "Hey CW, you are picking up Constantine, cancel that wack vampire poo poo." "Yes i am serious" *click*

Without checking I'm pretty sure the "wack vampire poo poo" does as well or better than Arrow, Constantine or Flash among key demographics, so I don't think they would listen to that phonecall.

Edit: Also, I don't watch Vampire Diaries, but The Originals is a better show than Constantine.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 10:46 on May 9, 2015

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Skwirl posted:

Without checking I'm pretty sure the "wack vampire poo poo" does as well or better than Arrow, Constantine or Flash among key demographics, so I don't think they would listen to that phonecall.

Well you probably should have checked because you're wrong. Flash and Arrow average much better than either of the vampire shows. Flash almost doubles it.

X-O fucked around with this message at 10:58 on May 9, 2015

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

that's disappointing. i thought the first previews looked pretty good, and Neil Marshall directing a few episodes was promising.

I was really disappointed with his episodes and had such high hopes from his film and Game of Thrones stuff. Even ignoring the mediocre plotting and acting, the directing was flat, even for PG horror.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
The only reason Warner wouldn't want their own network to be seen as a DC network is if they were expecting their films to bomb.

The problem with Constantine on CW is that Constantine looked like it had a bigger budget than either Flash or Arrow. And going pretty much anywhere else isn't going to help it because of that. And I am sure CBS, despite their cozy relationship with Time Warner (in sharing CW and now taking on Supergirl) has no desire for that kind of show at the moment. Supergirl is potentially much more of an easing in to the demographics they are looking to tap. Constantine would be too radically different.

Doesn't Time Warner have a relationship with Amazon? Also, Time Warner DOES own HBO, which I know falls into the "they shoulda made it an HBO series!" cliche. But they own HBO so....

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ToastyPotato posted:

Doesn't Time Warner have a relationship with Amazon? Also, Time Warner DOES own HBO, which I know falls into the "they shoulda made it an HBO series!" cliche. But they own HBO so....

Maybe they'll wait and see how Preacher does?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

Maybe they'll wait and see how Preacher does?

I thought Preacher was going to be on AMC. Also, they can't wait too long since the actor's contract is up in June.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Rocksicles posted:

Who rattled your cage, go back under your bridge.

So, you don't know, good poo poo, my man.

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

ToastyPotato posted:

Would Netflix do an original series with Time Warner at this point when they signed a massive deal with Disney and are producing numerous superhero shows with them already?

Even if there isn't some kind of clause in their contract with Disney/Marvel that would prevent them from acquiring Constantine they would probably avoid it for the sake of preserving the relationship they already have with them. If it was just a straight distribution deal it wouldn't be an issue (Netflix already streams plenty of live and animated DC stuff), but I doubt Disney would be happy to see them sign some kind of production deal with DC/Warner. They could probably get away with doing something with Warner that's not comics related though.

So yeah, as much as I'd like to see Netflix pick up Constantine, it's not gonna happen.

Skwirl posted:

I was thinking the same thing, but Deadpool's right. It looks like the ratings for Vampire Diaries and Constantine were consistently pretty close to each other, with both series usually averaging between 3 and 3.5 million viewers. So they'd still have no reason to listen to that phone call.

the future is WOW fucked around with this message at 06:32 on May 11, 2015

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

The Mentalizer posted:

Even if there isn't some kind of clause in their contract with Disney/Marvel that would prevent them from acquiring Constantine they would probably avoid it for the sake of preserving the relationship they already have with them. If it was just a straight distribution deal it wouldn't be an issue (Netflix already streams plenty of live and animated DC stuff), but I doubt Disney would be happy to see them sign some kind of production deal with DC/Warner. They could probably get away with doing something with Warner that's not comics related though.

So yeah, as much as I'd like to see Netflix pick up Constantine, it's not gonna happen.

I think you over estimate how much Disney would care about them picking up a DC show versus any other adult drama. Flash and Agents of SHIELD aren't in more competition with each other than either of those shows are in with whatever Law and Order spin-off is coming out next. Though you're absolutely right that Netflix isn't going to pick up Constantine.

I liked Constantine, but honestly I'm not that sad to see it go, it was a show that was consistently less than the sum of it's parts.

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

Skwirl posted:

I think you over estimate how much Disney would care about them picking up a DC show versus any other adult drama. Flash and Agents of SHIELD aren't in more competition with each other than either of those shows are in with whatever Law and Order spin-off is coming out next. Though you're absolutely right that Netflix isn't going to pick up Constantine.

I liked Constantine, but honestly I'm not that sad to see it go, it was a show that was consistently less than the sum of it's parts.

Right, and that's why I tried to make a distinction between a straight distribution deal and a more extensive production deal that would include Netflix providing creative input and production support for the show. If Netflix is simply putting up the show for streaming then no, I don't really think Disney would care all that much (if at all). But if they also have a hand in the writing and direction of said show then Disney and Marvel might start to get a little annoyed. I mean, I think it's a pretty safe bet that since they signed an exclusive deal with Netflix they probably don't want to share those creative resources with their main competitor.

But yeah, sorry if I wasn't clearer about all that in my other post.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Here's the Netflix synopsis for AKA:Jessica Jones:

Ever since her short-lived stint as a Super Hero ended in tragedy, Jessica Jones has been rebuilding her personal life and career as a hot-tempered, sardonic, badass private detective in Hell's Kitchen, New York City. Plagued by self-loathing, and a wicked case of PTSD, Jessica battles demons from within and without, using her extraordinary abilities as an unlikely champion for those in need... especially if they're willing to cut her a check.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Ah good, so looks like most Purple Man stuff would be in flashback. That character super creeps me out, which is his intention of course, but I don't want to see the gross abusive stuff as it is happening. Glad it isn't an origin story.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

As a hot-tempered, sardonic badass private detective fighting my own demons, it's nice to finally get some recognition.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

greatn posted:

Ah good, so looks like most Purple Man stuff would be in flashback. That character super creeps me out, which is his intention of course, but I don't want to see the gross abusive stuff as it is happening. Glad it isn't an origin story.

Well that makes sense seeing as how that's how it played out in the books

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

greatn posted:

The entire point of Jessica's character is that the Purple Man stuff happens in the past and then they meet back up in the present so she can finally defeat him and both literally and figuratively overcome her demons. The gross stuff will be all there.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Yeah, it reads like it will be flashback heavy, which means that stuff will probably be on the show either way.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Apart from everything involving the Avengers, I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be a pretty direct adaptation. The book is basically structured like a TV show to begin with.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

zoux posted:

Here's the Netflix synopsis for AKA:Jessica Jones:

Ever since her short-lived stint as a Super Hero ended in tragedy, Jessica Jones has been rebuilding her personal life and career as a hot-tempered, sardonic, badass private detective in Hell's Kitchen, New York City. Plagued by self-loathing, and a wicked case of PTSD, Jessica battles demons from within and without, using her extraordinary abilities as an unlikely champion for those in need... especially if they're willing to cut her a check.

Isn't Hell's Kitchen like eight blocks? Are they gonna cram like all the superheroes in there? :stare:

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Harime Nui posted:

Isn't Hell's Kitchen like eight blocks? Are they gonna cram like all the superheroes in there? :stare:

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I'm still gonna wonder where the hell Daredevil is if Luke Cage is fighting Diamondback on 10th Avenue. :colbert:

e: Luke Cage throws a car and Daredevil's like "....nahhh"

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 18:45 on May 11, 2015

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Waterhaul posted:

The entire point of Jessica's character is that the Purple Man stuff happens in the past and then they meet back up in the present so she can finally defeat him and both literally and figuratively overcome her demons. The gross stuff will be all there.

Maybe s/he is talking about the order of the gross stuff happening. It may sound silly but having the gross stuff be in flashbacks is easier to take than as it happens because in flashbacks we know its gonna stop at some point. Yeah, you know its going to stop out of flashbacks as well but its a different kind of knowing.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Are people who have read the comic and know about the gross stuff going to complain about the gross stuff when it's in the show, even with that foreknowledge?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

MrFlibble posted:

Maybe s/he is talking about the order of the gross stuff happening. It may sound silly but having the gross stuff be in flashbacks is easier to take than as it happens because in flashbacks we know its gonna stop at some point. Yeah, you know its going to stop out of flashbacks as well but its a different kind of knowing.

Yeah I get this, with it being a flashback you know that not only is it going to end but she is going to come out of it mostly alright and start rebuilding her life. It is a whole different kind of tension.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Harime Nui posted:

It also looks almost nothing like it did on the show. Most of the show was shot in Brooklyn, iirc.

Hell's Kitchen today basically looks like any other part of Manhattan (save for the financial district and Time Square, obviously), and not counting the 34th street area, which is a massive construction zone currently.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

zoux posted:

Are people going to complain?

Yes.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

zoux posted:

Are people who have read the comic and know about the gross stuff going to complain about the gross stuff when it's in the show, even with that foreknowledge?

Much like GoT, there's a difference between implied and told.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
The trailer for Lucifer is out. I kept waiting for the "based on the acclaimed Vertigo series" but it never showed up.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Madkal posted:

The trailer for Lucifer is out. I kept waiting for the "based on the acclaimed Vertigo series" but it never showed up.

Probably because it has absolutely nothing to do with the comic. Like, at all.

That being said, still looks like a fun show, even if there are some obvious pitfalls. And since an actual adoption of the comic could never actually air on tv anyway, I am actually pretty intrigued.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The male lead seems to be enjoying himself and has a good screen presence, but I rolled my eyes as soon as he mentioned his temptation powers didn't work on the female lead.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Madkal posted:

That's not David Bowie :argh:

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

http://dctvuniverse.com/2015/05/guggenheim-wants-john-constantine-on-arrow/

Apparently Guggenheim himself wants Constantine on Arrow. Maybe the thing it needs to get the CW to pick it up?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I have never seen a show with so much backing it be so in limbo.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ToastyPotato posted:

I have never seen a show with so much backing it be so in limbo.

If more of the people championing it actually watched it, it wouldn't be.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Feh, I'll watch it later. Somebody just make it and put it on the internet for free. And write me some poo poo.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Gaz-L posted:

If they had watched it they wouldn't be championing it. It's a bunch of people who liked the idea and never saw the show screw it up.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Gaz-L posted:

I feel like it would do better paired with Arrow or Flash, especially if it were marketed as an Arrowverse show. Being orphaned on NBC with nothing but the reputation of the film behind it was not going to do it any favors what so ever. It didn't help that they opted to name it after the film instead of the comic.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

They could just grab the rights to the show, get a new writing team, keep Ryan and cast new supporting characters, and relaunch it as Hellblazer. With the Pits now in full play on Arrow they could easily push in a crossover like they did with The Flash in season 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Scyantific posted:

They could just grab the rights to the show, get a new writing team, keep Ryan and cast new supporting characters, and relaunch it as Hellblazer. With the Pits now in full play on Arrow they could easily push in a crossover like they did with The Flash in season 2.

They should resolve the coming darkness plot first if they were coming back. They could easily kill Zed during that plot, or get rid of her some other way if everyone hated her that much. Apparently they had Doctor Fate stuff planned for the second half of the first season as well. :(