Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I have eaten gallons of mul nengmyun. Got any questions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Steve Yun posted:

I have eaten gallons of mul nengmyun. Got any questions?

Do you have a solid recipe?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Norns posted:

Hey goons I need some help.

Mothers day is sunday. My wife loves her some Mul Naengmyeon. I can get it pre made, but I'd like to try making at least the broth from scratch. Anyone done this before?

Maangchi does a good tutorial. (but of course she does)

http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/naengmyeon

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Perfect. Thank you.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I've never made it but I imagine the answer to most Korean cooking questions is "just do what Maangchi does"

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Anyone have any experience in using slow cooker meat drippings/other liquid to make barbecue sauce?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Shukaro posted:

Anyone have any experience in using slow cooker meat drippings/other liquid to make barbecue sauce?

I do this every time I make pulled pork. If I had used worchestershire sauce, brown sugar, onion, and garlic at the start, I would then add some apple cider vinegar, red pepper flakes, salt, and whole peeled tomato to the pot and bring it to high for 15-20 minutes before hitting the whole thing with a stick blender and then reducing down for an hour or so.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Nephzinho posted:

I do this every time I make pulled pork. If I had used worchestershire sauce, brown sugar, onion, and garlic at the start, I would then add some apple cider vinegar, red pepper flakes, salt, and whole peeled tomato to the pot and bring it to high for 15-20 minutes before hitting the whole thing with a stick blender and then reducing down for an hour or so.

That definitely sounds like it'll do the trick, thanks.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
I bought a pork shoulder to make adobo and now I have this bone that I don't know what to do with. Assuming I only have this bone and am unlikely to have enough other bones to make stock in the near future, is there anything I can do with it other than throw it in the trash?

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Freeze it until you have enough other bones to make a large batch of stock.

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

The first rule of No Avatar Club is: you do not talk about No Avatar Club. The second rule of No Avatar Club is: you DO NOT talk about No Avatar Club
Grimey Drawer
I see catfish nuggets for really cheap at the supermarket all the time...is there anything I can make with them on, say, Sunday afternoon that would be a good entree for a packed lunch for work the rest of the week?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I want to finally buy a tortilla press because smashing masa with a pan just doesn't make them thin enough and it's always bothered me. Is there any difference between getting one made of cast iron vs aluminium vs wood? The cast iron ones visually look better than the aluminium ones but that's it from my point of view.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Bone broth!

Or more seriously, toss it in some soup for some added yum.

^^^
Aluminium one will likely have the handle bend on you. Get the cast iron, I have no experience with wood.

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

Mr. Wookums posted:

Bone broth!
https://twitter.com/stockstickler

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

DekeThornton posted:

Freeze it until you have enough other bones to make a large batch of stock.

Yeah I have a gallon ziploc bag labeled "bone bag." Once it gets full, it's time to make a stock. Excuse me, a bone broth.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Shellfish shells is also a great thing to save in the freezer for stock.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DekeThornton posted:

Shellfish shells is also a great thing to save in the freezer for stock.

You mean shell broth

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

cyberia posted:

I bought a pork shoulder to make adobo and now I have this bone that I don't know what to do with. Assuming I only have this bone and am unlikely to have enough other bones to make stock in the near future, is there anything I can do with it other than throw it in the trash?

Put it in a pot with a bag of beans. Cook for several hours.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

cyberia posted:

It appears to be uncooked. You could trim off all remaining meat and give it to a friend for their pooch :3:

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Nah, that's for soup, that thing

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Add a smack of ham to the liquid of your choice

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

cyberia posted:

See if this gives you an idea:

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I've decided to try Ethiopian food but I don't have any friends that know what's up. What are the quintessential dishes that I should order on my first try?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Every Ethiopian place I've had offered a combo meal. It's a big round hunk of injera (the flatbread) with six to eight stews and vegetables on it, and more injera on the side. I'd get that your first time out.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Yeah the Ethiopian places i've been to seem to get down like good Korean restaurants. Just tons and tons of dishes on your table. Highly recomend doing what Grand Fromage suggested.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Cheers

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Get some kitfo or gored gored if it's not included in the combo, though.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Sounds pretty raw.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Go with kitfo imo. Gored gorde is pretty similar to steak tartare, and not that uncommon to find in a lot of cultures foods.

Both are loving delicious though.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Go with like six people and order the entire menu.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Barracuda Bang! posted:

I see catfish nuggets for really cheap at the supermarket all the time...is there anything I can make with them on, say, Sunday afternoon that would be a good entree for a packed lunch for work the rest of the week?

Maybe not the rest of the week, but a pound of nugs will make you between two and three days worth of catpoboy sarnies. Dredge surface dry nugs in a light layer of fine corn meal, pan fry, drain and pop in fridge.
For the sandwich, you want a nice crusty baguette, but a supermarket submarine loaf will do you. Lightly toast if you want, then lettuce, tomato, catfish nugs. Wrap and pack. Bring tartar sauce or mayo, and a bottle of hot sauce. Ooh, and a lemon wedge. Dress sandwich before eating to avoid soggy bread. Enjoy with sweet tea.
I would not keep fried fish in the fridge more then 3 days. And the same sandwich more then 3 days in a row can get boring.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 13:57 on May 10, 2015

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

Go with like six people and order the entire menu.

Best way to do Ethiopian!

Just make sure you don't bring any picky eaters. For those folks, Ethiopian is difficult at best.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Don't be friends with picky eaters.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Kill and eat picky eaters.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Kill and eat picky eaters.

Got a good recipe?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Norns posted:

Got a good recipe?

Roast em whole hog

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

With TONS of coriander.

Hecuba
Jul 20, 2005

What we do is invent our images. And we build them.

Barracuda Bang! posted:

Have had great results with this: http://www.khmerkromrecipes.com/recipes/recipe444.html Reheating may be a bit of a challenge, but so so so worth it. I put extra shrimp paste for delicious stinky goodness.

Re: roasted tomatochat, I discovered recently that if you do the same thing with tomatillos they get achingly, intensely candy-sweet. Very cool.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

So I just bought a whole rabbit because the local Asian market had them on sale for super cheap, but I have no idea what to do with it. The only thing I've ever eaten rabbit in is stew, so ideally I'd like to do something different. Anyone have a favorite recipe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

So I just bought a whole rabbit because the local Asian market had them on sale for super cheap, but I have no idea what to do with it. The only thing I've ever eaten rabbit in is stew, so ideally I'd like to do something different. Anyone have a favorite recipe?

http://honest-food.net/wild-game/rabbit-hare-squirrel-recipes/

I've made all these and they're fantastic.