Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

this game sounds loving fabulous

It's a shame Sirlin remains a loving crazy person. Who you have to buy directly from and sells the characters for Yomi individually. [Outside of 2 4 character packs, for $40 each.]
For like $10 a pop.
You also have to buy the characters individually for the same price to use them on the website version.

So basically steam yomi is the best thing for Yomi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Picked up Yomi on steam because it's the first time that it's actually (imo) affordable and the game is great. Unfortunately, I'm not so great at it even though I know a lot of the theory. I just keep getting my rear end kicked over and over and over again.

Or maybe Grave just isn't the character for me. I was never any good at playing Ryu...

e: Landed a lethal raw ult on a dude while I was down to 4 hp. He immediately quit the lobby. :smug:

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 04:46 on May 9, 2015

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Mister Sinewave posted:

Too broad of a criteria. The poster was like "recommend me a zombie game that isn't Dead of Winter" and I'm just saying zombie game is an awfully broad brush.

Like, "recommend me an anime game" :haw: (don't actually)

I wasn't so much asking for a recommendation, just trying to drive some discussion around what elements of existing zombie games people considered good or bad. That's why the broad stroke of "zombie games" isn't really too much of an issue for the inquiry, I think.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Ah, my mistake. I misunderstood.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Merauder posted:

I wasn't so much asking for a recommendation, just trying to drive some discussion around what elements of existing zombie games people considered good or bad. That's why the broad stroke of "zombie games" isn't really too much of an issue for the inquiry, I think.

A zombie game could be basically any genre, since we're like 90% about mechanics up in here. In reality, most of them are random as gently caress dicerollers, which is really unsatisfying because of the lack of agency. In theory, Dead of Winter tries to do good things with the secret goals, potential traitor and crossroads cards, they're just terribly implemented, and then it adds dice for everything on top of that.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Had a great time with new & old games tonight.

Pictomania was cool, but there's a great variety in difficulty between cards. ("Headscarf" and "up" vs "Water Wings").

Las Vegas: Boulevard is a worthwhile expansion. Love the gold dice aesthetically, and the Slot Machine + Big Dice give more strategy without taking more time.

Space Cadets: Dice Duel is still the most thrilling boardgame around.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
To be fair, in Dead of Winter the die is only used when you do something "the risky way"

Move from one location to another = spend 1 fuel to do it safely, or roll the die. Most die faces are nothing or a generic wound. 1/12 is a bite.

Similarly when you fight, you automatically kill a zombie but if you're otherwise unarmed or have no protection, Roll that same die.

It's not dice stuff in the usual WH40K or Risk sense, is all.

E: speaking here for the benefit of people who might not know anything about Dead of Winter.

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 08:51 on May 9, 2015

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

Mister Sinewave posted:

To be fair, in Dead of Winter the die is only used when you do something "the risky way"

Move from one location to another = spend 1 fuel to do it safely, or roll the die. Most die faces are nothing or a generic wound. 1/12 is a bite.

Similarly when you fight, you automatically kill a zombie but if you're otherwise unarmed or have no protection, Roll that same die.

It's not dice stuff in the usual WH40K or Risk sense, is all.

E: speaking here for the benefit of people who might not know anything about Dead of Winter.

You have to roll dice to determine if your survivors can attack zombies or search for things.

ThisIsNoZaku fucked around with this message at 10:35 on May 9, 2015

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

You have to roll dice to determine if your survivors can attack zombies or search for things.

Yeah, but there's ways to mitigate that (pick survivors with a range of skills) and even if you don't, there is always /[something]/ you can do that's useful, even if it's barricading.

The dice rolls for actions are actually handled well, and I say this as someone who's not really a fan of the game.

I hate the potential instant-death dice though.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

I'd appreciate if you announced your next stream here. This sounds pretty good.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

ConfusedUs posted:

Yeah, but there's ways to mitigate that (pick survivors with a range of skills) and even if you don't, there is always /[something]/ you can do that's useful, even if it's barricading.

The dice rolls for actions are actually handled well, and I say this as someone who's not really a fan of the game.

I meant to indicate that Mister Sinewave's description is inaccurate, because it says, or at least implies to me, that the exposure die is the only use of dice in the game.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
So I may be in a 7 player game of Caverna soon. Is this a bad idea?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

sonatinas posted:

It will take forever (especially if some of the players are new). The game isn't like, horrendously unbalanced or anything, but there's gonna be lots of boring downtime.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

sonatinas posted:

Bring a book

al-azad
May 28, 2009

ConfusedUs posted:

The exposure die is a great weapon for betrayers. Attacking zombies in the colony without a special ability carries a major risk and it's a much better option for lowering morale than contributing garbage to the crisis which immediately alerts everyone.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
Dead of Winter's betrayer role just gets the interesting part of zombie fiction all wrong anyway. The point is to see how ordinary people react in the face of implacable doom (standing in for age, inequality, race, whatever) and that some of them will make selfish decisions. DoW outright tells you you're a cartoon villain instead of putting just enough pressure on to make you choose to be a bad person. The Resistance already does the cartoon villain thing without the dice rolling, fiddlyness and inflated play time.

sonatinas posted:

Terrible, not just because it's a 7 player game of Caverna but because that implies you're playing with people silly enough to think that's a good idea in the first place.

Bubble-T fucked around with this message at 17:08 on May 9, 2015

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Bubble-T posted:

Dead of Winter's betrayer role just gets the interesting part of zombie fiction all wrong anyway. The point is to see how ordinary people react in the face of implacable doom (standing in for age, inequality, race, whatever) and that some of them will make selfish decisions. DoW outright tells you you're a cartoon villain instead of putting just enough pressure on to make you choose to be a bad person. The Resistance already does the cartoon villain thing without the dice rolling, fiddlyness and inflated play time.

But there are cartoon villains in zombie fiction. Practically every zombie fiction has included unrepentant evil assholes or mentally destroyed people that just want to wreck poo poo. And this is thematically appropriate because the idea behind the generic zombie apocalypse is that it's survivable in a stable, controlled environment. It's the villain or unstable person who doesn't want to conform that opens the floodgates and destroys everything.

The betrayer role exists solely to enforce the exile mechanic. Everyone knows that you're trying to accomplish your secret objective therefor there's no need to exile another player except in extreme circumstances. The chance of an actual betrayer is small but now there's that doubt that someone is intentionally trying to lose. If there wasn't a chance of a villain the politics of the game wouldn't work.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

I meant to indicate that Mister Sinewave's description is inaccurate, because it says, or at least implies to me, that the exposure die is the only use of dice in the game.

You're right, I hosed that up. The exposure die is what people usually bring up and I was phone posting, but I wound up implying it's the only use of dice which is not correct.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

sonatinas posted:

It's basically the worst idea ever, but hopefully your experience will be better than mine.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

sonatinas posted:

The most important rule in the rulebook is the one that says to proceed to the next player's turn when someone is deciding what to get on their expedition.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

sonatinas posted:

Bring another game, and play it in reverse turn order to Caverna so that when you have down time in one game it becomes your turn in another.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

sonatinas posted:

See I'd love to be in a seven player Caverna game, just to finally play with all the boards. I've never used the board for the seventh player.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

My group has reached a point where inbetween long turns we play Carcassonne on our phones.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Bottom Liner posted:

Doesn't using Prepare still advance the dungeon row? That doesn't solve the problem, just means you'll be drawing those dead cards again that much sooner.

What? No. What the hell are you talking about?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Using the Prepare action still counts as a turn/round, and the dungeon row advances at the end of each round. Am I not understanding the book correctly on this? It's not the best written rules.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

You know a mechanism I really like? When multiplayer games that feature targeted attacks give the victim a consolation prize.

An example of this is in Argent, when someone wounds one of your workers, you place it in the infirmary and gain a smaller amount of a resource of your choice.

Typically a big drawback of targeted attacks in games with three or more players is that they are no longer zero sum and so when two players clash the third uninvolved player stands to benefit from the losses. Rewarding the targeted player helps balance the degree to which this is effective.

This is up there with the Kemet thing where you get points for attacking, not just holding territory.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Bottom Liner posted:

Using the Prepare action still counts as a turn/round, and the dungeon row advances at the end of each round. Am I not understanding the book correctly on this? It's not the best written rules.

I have no idea what you're even referring to when you say "the dungeon row advances" or even where you got the idea that it happens at the end of the round.

If you attack a monster without killing it, it retreats to the bottom of the dungeon deck. If you kill a monster, it goes into your deck. In either case, there is an empty spot in the dungeon hall that is automatically refilled at the end of the turn. Is that what you're talking about?

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Broken Loose posted:

What? No. What the hell are you talking about?

I think he mentioned only playing the solo rules, where the monsters do advance every round.

The solo rules are a poorly considered afterthought that are explicitly only recommended for sick children and the friendless, though.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Tendales posted:

I think he mentioned only playing the solo rules, where the monsters do advance every round.

The solo rules are a poorly considered afterthought that are explicitly only recommended for sick children and the friendless, though.

Oh, my bad. Prepare is still the way to go instead of adding houserules to fix a problem that Prepare is literally there to mitigate.

Kore_Fero
Jan 31, 2008

fozzy fosbourne posted:

You know a mechanism I really like? When multiplayer games that feature targeted attacks give the victim a consolation prize.

An example of this is in Argent, when someone wounds one of your workers, you place it in the infirmary and gain a smaller amount of a resource of your choice.

Just played Argent: The Consortium and the infirmary consolation prize was a nice touch to the game. There were also lots of ways to mitigate wounding actions through spells and items so being attacked was a set-back but not a total shut out. The potential for AP in Argent is crazy though. The game is simple enough but the range of options can really trip some players.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Poopy Palpy posted:

The most important rule in the rulebook is the one that says to proceed to the next player's turn when someone is deciding what to get on their expedition.

This is what we do when we play. I didn't know it was actually in the rulebook! Make sure to remember this above all else.

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.

bobvonunheil posted:

Likewise for villages. Two cards is a huge boost at any point in the game.

Wait, you can burn down villages too? :aaa:

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Caedar posted:

Wait, you can burn down villages too? :aaa:

You don't burn them down, you just kick around the peasants until they cough up some more cards. Repeat as desired! (until your reputation bottoms out, anyway)

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Yep. Once between each of your turns you can pillage a village you're standing on for -1 rep and 2 cards. It's very useful.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Fat Samurai posted:

I'd appreciate if you announced your next stream here. This sounds pretty good.

Of course. I generally stream in the evenings (EST). Apparently a michigan FG streamer is gonna be streaming the finals of a tournament tonight at 8 est, you should check that out too

http://www.twitch.tv/srm_madking

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

thespaceinvader posted:

Yep. Once between each of your turns you can pillage a village you're standing on for -1 rep and 2 cards. It's very useful.

Villages next to Keeps are the ultimate power move, why yes I will draw my entire deck for that City battle, thank you!

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Tendales posted:

You don't burn them down, you just kick around the peasants until they cough up some more cards. Repeat as desired! (until your reputation bottoms out, anyway)

If I was a wizard of world shaking might, capable of facing down the mightiest of monsters, and I had to expend as much effort just to loving walk to a village as it takes in Mage Knight, I'd arrive in a lovely enough mood to torch the locals.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

To be fair, Mage Knight expects you to conquer a region in 3 days and 3 nights. So it's not exactly walking from city to city.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Any recommendations for Pandemic expansions? In the Lab looks great with the added puzzle to cure things, On the Brink looks like more of the same as the base game, and State of Emergency looks pretty eh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Bottom Liner posted:

Any recommendations for Pandemic expansions? In the Lab looks great with the added puzzle to cure things, On the Brink looks like more of the same as the base game, and State of Emergency looks pretty eh.

You need on the brink for most of the In the lab stuff. Both add some fun mechanics. More than anything, I would recommend On the Brink. It adds the much better virulent strain mechanic, and the fun as hell bioterrorist challenge. Haven't tried State of Emergency yet, but it looks interesting at the very least.